PDA

View Full Version : oots.com.br????

ZombieX9
2009-01-16, 09:40 AM
Sorry to bother AGAIN. I would like to know if the site http://oots.com.br/ has the permission to publish comics of The Order of the Stick in Brazilian Portuguese.
His owner Nibelung http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=27690 just uses the Order and there is just one (almost) hide link to the original trips on this link http://oots.com.br/sobre/ (It´s a "About" the owner)
Nibelung´s email: nibelung (dot) ajr (at) gmail (dot) com

Almost forgot! This is the original problem:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67218

Szilard
2009-01-16, 09:44 AM
I'm mostly ignorant on this matter, but any editing of the Giant's work is prohibited by his copyright or something. What other people do is post the translated script and a link to the original, if I'm not mistaken. I think just posting a script or translation is approved by the Giant on most occasions.

The_Weirdo
2009-01-16, 10:07 AM
The translation is good...

Jan Mattys
2009-01-16, 10:12 AM

...and very likely illegal.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-16, 10:16 AM
He claims to have already posted those in a Live Journal, and a Brazilian RPG website. Nowhere it points copyright or claims to have permission to post these.
Looks like a fan that forgot copyright stuff really.

xyzzy
2009-01-16, 10:42 AM
Well... huh. I would've assumed the guy would've stopped after being told by Mr. Burlew to take down the comics (and agreeing to take them down...), but apparently he hasn't.

When will people learn?!?:smallmad:

ZombieX9
2009-01-16, 10:51 AM
He claims that as a Czech done so (see: http://www.oots.cz/ ), he could do it too. "Hey, the czech jumped from a bridge, I´ll do it too! Duh!"

Original post:
http://oots.com.br/2008/09/13/novo-blog-nova-casa-sem-tirinhas/

Zeitgeist
2009-01-16, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard about this comic being in foreign languages years ago. I can't remember which one.

I'd assume anybody willing to dedicate so much time and work to translations would have taken the very short amount of time and work to at least get permission. Most people don't like to do a lot of work with the risk of losing it all due to copyright infringement. It's nice to bring it to the Giant's attention, though, just in case the person is an idiot.

EDIT: After reading more, I'd have to regretfully assume the latter as the case.

T-O-E
2009-01-16, 02:16 PM
He was actually told by the Giant not to translate the comics.

Samuel West
2009-01-16, 04:23 PM

No, it's not.

I'm from Brazil and i can say the translation isn't that good.

Durkon "slangish" talk was translated into some kind of thing that illiterate people would say, just like "me finds treasure" and most of the jokes where the fun is in the double interpretation of a chosen word, like when Roy's sister says "I'm true neutral, I go both ways" will just suck, and trust me, they do suck.

As you can see below, this guy was already advised to stop:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3693389&postcount=28
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3694502&postcount=29

And as this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3742798&postcount=54) post shows, if this continues and Burlew ever stops publishing his material due to lack of founds, those guys translating his work are the ones to blame.

I think you would like to know this:

---The guy who is translating the comics is having problems with his computer, and the people that visit the site were even thinking about donating some money so he could buy a new one and continue "his work", and guess who is losing money out of this?

-=Samuel West=-

The_Weirdo
2009-01-16, 04:53 PM
No, it's not.

I'm from Brazil and i can say the translation isn't that good.

Durkon "slangish" talk was translated into some kind of thing that illiterate people would say, just like "me finds treasure" and most of the jokes where the fun is in the double interpretation of a chosen word, like when Roy's sister says "I'm true neutral, I go both ways" will just suck, and trust me, they do suck.

As you can see below, this guy was already advised to stop:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3693389&postcount=28
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3694502&postcount=29

And as this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3742798&postcount=54) post shows, if this continues and Burlew ever stops publishing his material due to lack of founds, those guys translating his work are the ones to blame.

I think you would like to know this:

---The guy who is translating the comics is having problems with his computer, and the people that visit the site were even thinking about donating some money so he could buy a new one and continue "his work", and guess who is losing money out of this?

-=Samuel West=-

Pera, relaxa...

Okay, calm down.

First of all, I'm a Brazilian too. And a translator.

Second of all, I admit I only read a few of the translated comics, with which I found little fault, but might fully well find some more if I took more time and consideration into looking at them *Blushes*

Third, I wasn't discussing the ACT of translating the comic, but the translation itself. The ACT, I didn't discuss. Nor will I.

Deixa isto pro ministério público. :p

Edit: Yup, I hadn't seen any of Durkon's lines in the previous view. Crap, that choice was POOR! He translated as if Durkon were German.

I did find V's "Portugal Portuguese" to be charming though.

Samuel West
2009-01-16, 05:09 PM
It’s me again, sorry for the bad news, but this it’s important.

This is my commentary, posted in the last translated comic. In shorter terms, it says pretty much everything that you read above.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8241/oots0dt0.jpg

Now this is Nibelung’s answer:

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1747/oots1cn2.jpg

Translating it to English:

“What is the fun in doing this?

It doesn’t matter what they say, I WILL continue the translations. If the WordPress tells me to shut down this blog (like they did with the Cyanide & Happiness one), I’ll probably do it, but I’ll keep translating it and distributing by other means.

So mister ZombieX9 (lol he thinks I’m ZombieX9), after all this stuff you said, go **** yourself and do something useful. (like stealing other people work is something useful).

And that’s it.”

As you can see, it doesn’t matter how many times you ask, he won’t stop until this gets really serious. I would like to see his face when he is “invited” to attend to a court of law.

Oh, and before I forget, he even posted my ip for everyone to see it and even said “here is his ip, do what you want with it.”

This guy makes me sick.

-=Samuel West=-

Nibelung
2009-01-16, 05:14 PM

-=Samuel West=-

No, i never will accept any money from this site. What the people said (joking) is about donate me a Mac because its better to edit images. Its obviously a joke, and anyone can see it.

And ZombieX9, thanks again for troubling me when im almost reaching a good point to ask the Giant about translating and posting it on this site (Giant on the Playground). First, i was thinking in ask on strip 120, and you pointed to me when i was on 98 (i think). Now i was thinking in ask on 200, and you point again.

I got permission to translate Flipside (http://www.flipsidecomics.com) (here (http://www.inominattus.com/?cat=8)), and i must tell that translating with the author permission is great. I would love to translate oots in this site, scheduled and so on. I would love open the door of brazilian market to Burlew's products. And i would love see others good translators showing their work here. Only by the scripts topics you can see that german and french translators are very good too.

Anyway, none of this is an excuse for continuing the translation after Giant's direct order to stop. Because of this, i'm sorry. Sorry for bring some new fans for your work. Sorry for paying a site and a domain without getting any money from adsense because i dont feel that is right to profit on other's work.

Mr. Burlew, you got my email there. And on my profile too. And if you want to give a public message, i'm subscribing to this topic.

JoseB
2009-01-16, 05:34 PM
In the FAQ (accessible from the menu on the left) the following is written:

Q: I speak a language other than English. Can I translate the Order of the Stick for my game site?

A: At this time, the translation program is on indefinite hold. Some of the existing translations apparently suffered from accuracy issues, and all suffered from a lack of support from the translator, most of whom faded away after translating only a fraction of the strip's run. Also, there was no promotion or advertisement by the translators in their native language, resulting in a great deal of work for very, very few hits. Please do not contact me regarding translating OOTS into your native language until such time as I decide whether to continue the translation program.

(italics mine)

It definitely seems that Rich Burlew is not interested in translations in other languages as of now (I remember that there were some "official translations" into Italian and German in the OOTS site itself, but they were taken off quite some years ago) and that it is Rich Burlew himself who will ask people to translate into other languages when he feels that he can have control over the process.

So... If I were you, I wouldn't go on with this project, Nibelung.

Not that the work does not look impressive enough... But better not risking it further.

Just my 2 eurocent!

JoseB

Madrüga
2009-01-16, 05:43 PM
Italian, German, and Portuguese, if archive.org is correct.

I cant say much about the others, but the portuguese version on this time was very, very weak. Specially because it just threw away durkon's accent.

Edit: Damn, Nibelung here. A friend was incapable of creating a login, and i create for him. Just forget to logout.

amanamana
2009-01-16, 05:56 PM
Come on, man. You're just embarrassing yourself. You can't keep using his artwork until you convince him to let you do it! This doesn't even make sense!
You keep doing this, even after being said to stop and agreeing!!!:smallmad:
Sounds like you are a jerk, or an idiot! Or maybe both!!!:smallfurious:

By the way, I'm Brazilian to (PORRA!!!!).

Nibelung
2009-01-16, 06:31 PM
*Rechecking to see if im logged correctly*

Its on the Giant's hands again. When he asked me to stop, i really stopped. Maybe for 4 or 5 months. Then ANOTHER guy just continued my work. And he did a crappy work (he translated "barbecue sauce" to ketchup. Really). So crappy that i just got pissed and retake the work because the people who cant read english asked for it to me.

By i now like... 30 people who are following the story by my website just because they only read portuguese. I bet that this number is higher, but i can confirm this ones.

About german accent on Durkon, that's the more accurate that it can be from scot..scosc... north england's accent. And lots of dwarves on brazilian RPG tables talk like germans or like "caipiras" (not so sure to tell americans... maybe like texas accent and country music).

bluewind95
2009-01-16, 06:35 PM
I can see why the translator would think he is doing Rich a favour. He is, in his eyes, paying some sort of homage and spreading the word about the comic...

.... But that view is rather flawed. The people who read the translation don't come and post here and buy the merchandise here. They post at that site. This is not really helping Rich much, if at all. It's promoting the translator's "translating powers", if anything, using OotS as a propaganda item. Kind of unfair to Rich, if you ask me.

There is also the fact that this was done outright AGAINST the author's will. I mean... if you're going to do a thing like that... especially if you know the author's stance on it... it's only polite and correct to ask BEFORE doing the work, and before altering it. And especially before publishing it. Doing the translations and publishing them behind the author's back and then outright refusing to see how he dislikes it.... is really only irritating to the author and by no means something he's very likely to appreciate all too much.

Really... best to just stop and respect the author's wishes on the matter. It's HIS work, he gets to say how it's used.

(And yeah, if he asked you to stop once.... why in the world did you continue? So someone else did something illegal and therefore you're going to do it too because you can do that illegal thing... "better"? Ummmm.... that really is flawed thinking...)

Anteros
2009-01-16, 06:47 PM
I can see why the translator would think he is doing Rich a favour. He is, in his eyes, paying some sort of homage and spreading the word about the comic...

.... But that view is rather flawed. The people who read the translation don't come and post here and buy the merchandise here. They post at that site. This is not really helping Rich much, if at all. It's promoting the translator's "translating powers", if anything, using OotS as a propaganda item. Kind of unfair to Rich, if you ask me.

You're using some flawed logic yourself here. The people who visit that site likely do not understand English. As such, they won't be visiting this site anyway, to post, buy merchandise, or for any other reason. Thus Rich loses nothing in that respect.

Furthermore, why do any of you care? "Oh no! Someone is translating a comic I read for other people to read!" I understand that Rich doesn't want it done for trademark reasons...but the people on the forum really shouldn't care, as it does not effect them.

BRC
2009-01-16, 06:51 PM
You're using some flawed logic yourself here. The people who visit that site likely do not understand English. As such, they won't be visiting this site anyway, to post, buy merchandise, or for any other reason. Thus Rich loses nothing in that respect.

Furthermore, why do any of you care? "Oh no! Someone is translating a comic I read for other people to read!" I understand that Rich doesn't want it done for trademark reasons...but the people on the forum really shouldn't care, as it does not effect them.
We are expressing dissaproval, we don't need to be direcly involved to do that.

Personally, I kinda agree with the above post, I think the Giant should let people volunteer to translate his work into other languages. However, I don't think that's my decision to make. In the meantime the Giant has made his views on the matter very clear, and told you once to stop, so I don't see how the fact that you waited a few months, or that somebody else was doing a bad job of it, justifies this.

xyzzy
2009-01-16, 06:51 PM
I could *almost* understand your flagrant disregard for whichever random bits of the FAQ you didn't like if you hadn't been called on it before and been told to stop repeatedly by Rich himself, and if you hadn't gone on to say you would take them down and would switch to text-only translations (in the previous thread on this subject), but you lost all credibility now that you're telling us that, not only don't you care if you have to move around because someone tries to stop you from breaking the law, but you're now supposedly looking to increase your credibility by trying to get Mr. Burlew to "give in" to large numbers of translated comics.

I know you probably think that stick figures are no big deal --- tell that to the thousands of us who've paid for books and t-shirts, and those who allow artists like Randall Munroe, Brian Clevinger, and Ryan North. One could argue that those aren't really art, and that the copyright for them is "no big deal" and that, most importantly, the artists' thoughts on this don't matter, but you're up against the thousands of supporters who make a page like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-sufficient_webcomics) possible.

bluewind95
2009-01-16, 06:59 PM

I didn't really say anything about what he lost. I was trying to say that Rich gained nothing, if anything(the translator said that he was "bringing Rich more fans"). The translator, though, uses copyrighted material to tell the world what a "great translator" he is.

Do I personally care? Not really. But I read it, had an opinion of it, and therefore posted it. I think I'm well within my rights to do that. :smalltongue:

xyzzy
2009-01-16, 07:07 PM
Also, hypothetical:

Suppose Rich, in 10 years, is looking back on the complete, epic Order of the Stick (I pray it takes at least that long!) and decides he wants to expand the market by hiring professional translators who are well-known within their industry to translate the comic into several other languages for publication. So, he goes to hire one, and-

Oh, wait, the market's already flooded with free lower-quality alternatives read by people who don't care enough to go spend lots of money to get an official copy. Too bad for Mr. Burlew, he didn't protect his copyright back in 2009 when someone thought their desire to "share their favorite webcomic" overrided his legal right to keep others from using art that he spends hours on.

He loses a large portion of his potential income (and hence potential well-being) because someone on the internet decided the law didn't apply to them. Do you see why that might be a big deal?

fred321
2009-01-16, 07:18 PM
Well, I´m brazilian too. Even though I speak english I only got the chance to begin reading the order of the stick when I saw a tranlation of it to portuguese posted on a brazilian forum about D&D.
I myself wanted to translate then, but when I saw:
"Please do not contact me regarding translating OOTS into your native language until such time as I decide whether to continue the translation program."
I decided to not even e-mail him asking to make a translation.

teratorn
2009-01-16, 07:23 PM
This is old news, it was something which came out at the time we had the Portuguese translation thread. It was one of the reasons I stopped reading it.

Edit: Yup, I hadn't seen any of Durkon's lines in the previous view. Crap, that choice was POOR! He translated as if Durkon were German.
I always thought that in a Portuguese version he should speak Galician (basically all the J are turned into X).

I did find V's "Portugal Portuguese" to be charming though.

:smallfrown: Not really, it's like the mock Brazilian version of a Portuguese speaking. In Portugal we don't talk like that (in particular using "eu" all the time is a tell-tale sign).

Nibelung
2009-01-16, 08:15 PM
My head is cold now. The initial "shock" is gone.

Come on, man. You're just embarrassing yourself. You can't keep using his artwork until you convince him to let you do it! This doesn't even make sense!

It wasn't to "force" him. It was just to try to show him that someone CAN do a good work and bring more readers to here. But since the Giant dont speak portuguese (i think), the only way to show it is doing the job and getting good feedback.

A simple "can i do it?" dont work because he cant judge quality by this question. Work on ThorPrayer pun do. Work on Great Cleveage pun do. Work on V's ambyguous gender in a totally genderized language do.

Im totally sure that are a few foreign fans that wish to work on oots translation. That czech site is major proof about this. My brazilian site is major proof about this. Lots and lots of small sits that translated until strip 20 in dozen of languages show it (I can point translations in french, german, italian, spanish, japanese/chinese/korean/whatever-asian-language-is-it...).

I know that low quality and loss of humor was the primary reason that Giant turn out the translations in 2004. But really, look at this date. In 2004, Rich didnt publish any book, had a full-time job, and oots was a small payoff on a to-be-RPG-site. Now, if someone do a bad translation, and the translator can't justify his change, its means that s/he is a bad translator. And with oots popularity now, i doubt that someone didnt see any missing in... what? 15 minutes?

I really hate the situation that Zombiex9 brings here because all that i say by now will sound like cheap excuses. And that isn't the case.

Occasional Sage
2009-01-16, 09:11 PM
That expression on my face, there to the left? That's disapproval.

It wasn't to "force" him. It was just to try to show him that someone CAN do a good work and bring more readers to here. But since the Giant dont speak portuguese (i think), the only way to show it is doing the job and getting good feedback.

Im totally sure that are a few foreign fans that wish to work on oots translation. That czech site is major proof about this. My brazilian site is major proof about this. Lots and lots of small sits that translated until strip 20 in dozen of languages show it (I can point translations in french, german, italian, spanish, japanese/chinese/korean/whatever-asian-language-is-it...).

The thing is, Nibelung, your arguments are totally irrelevant. Rich owns the legal rights to his art, and has the right to state how and by whom it can be used. He told you, in the exchange linked to above, how you can continue your translation within the law. Your rationale doesn't change the fact that you ignored that advice, and are breaking the law. That other people are also doing so is not a defense that any court would accept.

Mando Knight
2009-01-16, 09:14 PM
I don't think translating the comic itself is the Giant's problem... rather, I do think that it's the translation of the comic without his permission. And, if he's anything like me, he'd want a translator he can trust to produce a quality translation before he approves of an official translation.

Otherwise, it's just copyright infringement, regardless of whether or not you're doing it for money. He's paying money to defend his rights. Which he shouldn't have to... they're his rights.

Lupy
2009-01-16, 09:31 PM
In spite of the fact that an American can't sue a Brazilian citizen, this is illegal by US and International law, and you are hurting the author. If you actually cared about the strip you would stop. Or Rich and his wife for that matter.

And any argument you make is meaningless, it is his work. It's like doing a translation of The Lord of the Rings and posting it online, except that the author is still alive and living off of this money. :smallmad:

Nibelung
2009-01-16, 10:48 PM
The thing is, Nibelung, your arguments are totally irrelevant. Rich owns the legal rights to his art, and has the right to state how and by whom it can be used.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2wptq2s.jpg

I know this is illegal. Thanks for not reading the rest of my posts. I wasn't arguing. At least, not about this thing being legal or not.

amuletts
2009-01-16, 11:15 PM
Well, I guess if Rich wasn't already aware of this he will be now! Yes, ultimately the rights all belong to him. It may be a bit sad that people who use other languages can't read it.

Hmm, would it still be illegal if it was just a transcript with a link to the original page?

bluewind95
2009-01-16, 11:47 PM
Actually I think translating the text and having it only as a script, while linking to the original (without editing the original image at all) is allowed. It's the editing of the original material that is frowned up on.

I am at a loss to understand why this translator insists on doing an illegal thing, though. Especially as a "favour" to an artist he is obviously annoying instead.

xyzzy
2009-01-17, 12:13 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2wptq2s.jpg

I know this is illegal. Thanks for not reading the rest of my posts. I wasn't arguing. At least, not about this thing being legal or not.

So, you're completely aware you're breaking the law, but you don't care because Rich Burlew's well-being doesn't matter to you?

Hey, Giant, if you read this (which I'm presuming you'll likely do), you might want to have rations stored in case more of your fans turn into piranhas. Apparently there are some here who are perfectly fine if you lose financial gain you could stand to make for your incredible work. I'd go out and punch them for you, except that would be illegal, and I actually care about the law.

That's what you're failing to recognize, Nibelung. This is piracy, and that's not just Chaotic --- it's also Evil. So if you really care about this comic, if you think it's worth anything in your life, if it would bother you in the least to see it go away because it's no longer financially doable, then as a fan leaving your comics up, you run a serious risk of destroying the opportunity to enjoy it. By letting people see the comic through any other medium than the officially supported one, you're hurting Mr. Burlew. If the fact that it's illegal isn't enough to stop you, if the fact that it's immoral doesn't stop you, let the fact that some day there might not be new comics for you to enjoy stop you. Please.

Oh, and thanks for the rock.

ZombieX9
2009-01-17, 09:02 AM
Nibelung. Talk to the hand. You´re wrong and you know that!

Oh, there is one more:
http://ordemdograveto.blogspot.com/
Now is a guy named "Yanvedder" http://www.blogger.com/profile/14785925566322464209

It´s a party!

PS:I am loving the comments in your blog. Change your blog, I will know the new adress and I will tell here.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-01-17, 10:25 AM
I know this is illegal. Thanks for not reading the rest of my posts. I wasn't arguing. At least, not about this thing being legal or not.If it's illegal, and you've been caught, then why still do it?

Anyway, Nibelung...looking over the pertinent conversations, I think I have an out for you. The Giant's complaints haven't been about providing translations - they've been about you editing and reposting his artwork. If you were to say, post text translations with a link to the comic you're translating, then I see no problems. The real problem here is that you're altering copyrighted artwork, not that you are providing the (admirable, in my opinion) work of a free translation of a story.

However, you are not going to get anywhere by flaunting and ignoring cease and desist requests - you'll only annoy Mr. Burlew and his legions of rather obsessed fans, and get yourself in serious trouble under international copyright law. In short, don't just ignore legal warnings. Weasel around them like a good netizen! Although, if Mr. Burlew is angry enough (and it's possible he's offended that you've ignored his warnings), he might not even let you get away with that.

Lykainon
2009-01-17, 10:33 AM
This is piracy, and that's not just Chaotic --- it's also Evil.

While I agree that unauthorized translations are a bad thing to do... Chaotic evil? Seriously? Now, actual piracy (with parrots, peg-legs and the like) could probably be counted as Chaotic Evil since they, y'know, kill people and the like. The electronic version, not so much in my opinion.

hamishspence
2009-01-17, 10:38 AM
Comes under Theft, which by BoVD is always evil.

if the Giant's not rich and is living off the comic, it might even be Theft from the Needy (3 point Corrupt act by Fiendish Codex 2) :smallbiggrin:

Doesn't mean the person is evil, but does mean them doing it is a Bad Thing.

Lykainon
2009-01-17, 10:41 AM
Comes under Theft, which by BoVD is always evil.

Haven't read BoVD (Book of Vile Darkness, right?) but this seems rather odd. While I could see how someone would lable "ordinary" theft as evil (and perhaps webcomic art theft as well) I don't really see how something like a poor person stealing a loaf of bread or so would be considered evil. Isn't Robin Hood generally considered Chaotic Good? He did quite a bit of stealing, that one.

hamishspence
2009-01-17, 10:48 AM
one argument is he was only stealing from "thieves"- men who taxed to line their pockets rather than putting those taxes into running society- nd returned the money to people it was "stolen" from.

Aladdin- Stealing to survive is incredibly miniscule evil, depriving yourself (admittedly of stuff he stole in the first place) to help the needy is a sign of his being comfortably Good overall.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-01-17, 10:52 AM
It worries me greatly that we're seriously discussing real-world actions in terms of D&D alignment.

hamishspence
2009-01-17, 10:55 AM
Nothing wrong with that, as long as we know we're doing it, and realize, to some people (not everyone) its more subjective, and that one minor evil act does not make an evil person.

The Giant
2009-01-17, 10:57 AM
The Giant's complaints haven't been about providing translations - they've been about you editing and reposting his artwork. If you were to say, post text translations with a link to the comic you're translating, then I see no problems. The real problem here is that you're altering copyrighted artwork, not that you are providing the (admirable, in my opinion) work of a free translation of a story.

This was exactly the solution I gave the last time this issue came up, actually. Which is why the following message will be a bit more...harsh...than my usual tone:

-----------------------------

Nibelung:

You do not have permission to do what you are doing. But then, you know that. You know it is illegal, and further, that I have specifically disallowed it. And yet, you continue to do in the belief that you will change my mind someday.

You won't.

There is no force you can bring to bear that will cause me to allow you (or anyone else) to alter and reuse my artwork. It will NEVER happen. If your true goal is to bring the comic to a Portugese audience, you may do so by making TEXT-ONLY translations. Any other effort will never be permitted.

So as to make this as plain as possible: Take my artwork down off of your site, now, or I will start pursuing other channels, starting with your ISP.

The fact that there may be other sites also violating my copyright is not a free ride to do the same, for anyone; I am already pursuing the Czech site, albeit with some difficulty. The proper response to seeing another site violate my copyright is NOT "Hey, I can do that better!"

Further, continuing to violate copyright law will result in you being banned from this message board permanently.

I trust I have made my position clear.

Mef
2009-01-17, 02:16 PM
In spite of the fact that an American can't sue a Brazilian citizen, this is illegal by US and International law, and you are hurting the author. If you actually cared about the strip you would stop. Or Rich and his wife for that matter.

And any argument you make is meaningless, it is his work. It's like doing a translation of The Lord of the Rings and posting it online, except that the author is still alive and living off of this money. :smallmad:
Uhm... the fact that something is illegal according to US law doesn't matter if he doesn't act inside of the US and is not an US citizen (thankfully, I should add... not quite on copyright, but US software patents are outright deleterious).

That said, there *are* international treaties which Brazil has probably signed, so it's actually possible that legal action could reach Nibelung, were the Giant willing to do so.

On top of that, I agree with what you said: posting an unauthorized translation, or even the same comic on another website, can hurt Rich financially (no visits to his shop, for instance), so all legal considerations aside, common courtesy should be enough to tell somebody not to do that.

Lykainon
2009-01-17, 02:18 PM
Angry Giant is awesome. :smallamused:

This might sound like pure kiss-ass-ness on my part but the truth is I got a soft spot for a proper chew-out.

(The fact that I'm not quite sober may or may not be related to my opinion in the matter.)

Nevrmore
2009-01-17, 03:23 PM
Meh, I consider The Giant's stance on copyright too anal, anyway. But it's his work, so he gets to be as retentive as he wants to.

RTGoodman
2009-01-17, 03:32 PM
Giant, if you happen to check this again, I've got a question.

If we happen to see any other sites doing this same thing, what's the proper procedure to let you know about it? PM here on the forums? E-mail? Passenger pigeon? You probably know of all or most of the ones out there anyway, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case.

Nibelung
2009-01-17, 06:25 PM
This was exactly the solution I gave the last time this issue came up, actually. Which is why the following message will be a bit more...harsh...than my usual tone:

-----------------------------

Nibelung:

You do not have permission to do what you are doing. But then, you know that. You know it is illegal, and further, that I have specifically disallowed it. And yet, you continue to do in the belief that you will change my mind someday.

You won't.

There is no force you can bring to bear that will cause me to allow you (or anyone else) to alter and reuse my artwork. It will NEVER happen. If your true goal is to bring the comic to a Portugese audience, you may do so by making TEXT-ONLY translations. Any other effort will never be permitted.

So as to make this as plain as possible: Take my artwork down off of your site, now, or I will start pursuing other channels, starting with your ISP.

The fact that there may be other sites also violating my copyright is not a free ride to do the same, for anyone; I am already pursuing the Czech site, albeit with some difficulty. The proper response to seeing another site violate my copyright is NOT "Hey, I can do that better!"

Further, continuing to violate copyright law will result in you being banned from this message board permanently.

I trust I have made my position clear.

If you're working "on" the czech site, then i'll get the site down right now. I'll just second on asking where i should point to show the others sites then.

Studoku
2009-01-17, 07:52 PM
While I'm here, is translating Haley's cryptograms in the same way illegal?

bluewind95
2009-01-17, 08:12 PM
While I'm here, is translating Haley's cryptograms in the same way illegal?

If you're using the original artwork... then... I'm afraid so. If you're doing a text-only version, then it's okay.

RTGoodman
2009-01-18, 12:09 AM
If you're using the original artwork... then... I'm afraid so. If you're doing a text-only version, then it's okay.

Yep. Note, of course, that there are already a TON of different translations of just the text out there.

raphfrk
2009-01-18, 12:49 PM
Actually I think translating the text and having it only as a script, while linking to the original (without editing the original image at all) is allowed. It's the editing of the original material that is frowned up on.

What might be interesting would be an add-on for browsers.

You would pick your native language and each time you went to a site, it would check if there was any translation available for that site in your language.

The browser could then seamlessly overlay the translations on top of the website you went to.

In effect, the translator's webpage would just contain the translations and where to place them.

However, I think that translations still count as a derivative work. Certainly, translating a novel counts as a breech of copyright for that reason.

NerfTW
2009-01-18, 05:33 PM
/nevermind.