PDA

View Full Version : Lycantrophic Options

Dyllan
2009-01-16, 10:19 AM
I was thinking of using Lycanthropy in my next campaign. Specifically, I was going to have the party go up against a group of animals who were actually were-animals, and have each character become infected.

However, I want to customize this to the party, so no one feels too screwed by it. I realize this will favor fighter types over casters, but I want to at least minimize that. I plan to alter the rules for alignment (or throw them out) and make it much harder to cure (actually, finding a cure may be the major thrust of the campaign).

I also want each character to have a different were-animal template. So, any suggestions on class/animal combinations? I'll consider any animal from any source (well, any animal of at least 1 full HD), but please let me know where the animal's stat block can be found.

Thanks,

Dyllan

JeminiZero
2009-01-16, 11:10 AM
Will you be equalizing ECL? E.g. if one player has a 2 HD animal, and another has a 6 HD animal, the one with 2 HD will have 4 more class levels?

Suggestion: If you are willing to bend the rules a little, turn Lycantophy into one large common disease, which all were-animals suffer from. After being bitten, during the first full moon, the victims will have a dream where they are surrounded by animals (which they are eligible for), and a voice calls them to choose one. They will then become were-versions of the animal they picked. If they do not pick any quickly enough, one random animal will pick them instead and jump onto them.

Let you players know this OOC. And they will pick what they want. This lets you inflict the Lycantophy on your players, but gives them some liberty in choosing their type.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-16, 12:14 PM
I agree that talking to the players about it would be wise, especially since a lot of players wouldn't want to play as lycan thropes (I'd class it as an annoying hindrance due to hwo I typically play as spellcasters). Just out of curiosity, what will you do if either a player doesn;t want to be infected, or nobody ends up being infected?

JellyPooga
2009-01-16, 12:48 PM
My only advice is to stick to animals that have equal HD, if only for balance purposes. My suggestion would be 3 HD...that gives you a nice wide selection with nothing too powerful:

Black Bear
Boar
Camel
Cheetah
Crocodile
Heavy/Light Horse
Leopard
Monitor Lizard
Mule
Shark (Medium)
Constrictor Snake
Viper (Large)
Squid
Wolverine
Dire Badger
Dire Weasel

To mention the ones in the MM. I don't think any other number of HD has that many options (though I admit that some are a little odd and/or don't suit the Lycanthrope template, like the Camel, Horses and Mule). You've also got a wide range of different abilities there too...Bear or Boar for Strength, Cheetah and Leopard for Pounce, Croc for amphibious, Viper for poison, etc.

Although casters won't benefit from this idea as much as warrior types, encourage them to choose (if you do allow choice, or assign them if not) an animal form that gives them more options rather than brute force, like the Snakes multiple movement forms or the Cheetahs' Sprint ability.

wadledo
2009-01-16, 12:55 PM
I'd also suggest making it more generic.
Have Lycanthropy provide a single +2 bonus to the highest stat(rats Dex, boars Con, Wolves Dex, bears Str, etc, and stuff like wolves and boars, which have a broader spread of stats, gaining a different stat at later HD) for every 4 or 5 HD the character has.
This means that the entire party is a bit more balanced, and that the casters are less screwed with non-spellcasting HD.
Spellcasters can always benefit from smaller Dex based animal forms or tough, turtle-ish forms.

If you want to spice it up a bit, make their animal forms have different ability's/ strengths, but don't give anybody some of the insane stuff like pounce or +15 to NA without giving a detraction on the other end(for pounce, a reduction to will saves{it is a cat after all} and the NA{like a turtle} you could have the speed be something like a third of base speed, with buffs only adding a third of their bonus.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-16, 12:58 PM
That is a good idea, Wadledo. Some forms could give a +2 mental stat boost instead of physical stats as well.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-16, 01:14 PM
You've also got a wide range of different abilities there too...Bear or Boar for Strength, Cheetah and Leopard for Pounce, Croc for amphibious, Viper for poison, etc.

Remember: you only get Special Qualities, not Special Attacks.

wadledo
2009-01-16, 01:25 PM
Remember: you only get Special Qualities, not Special Attacks.

You do, actually.
Were-tigers get pounce and rake.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-16, 01:26 PM
Only in animal form (Lycanthropes use Alternate Form, not Change Shape).

Although fighting in animal form tends to get a bit cheesy ... "hey can you put that barding on me after I transform, thx".

Fax Celestis
2009-01-16, 01:41 PM
You do, actually.
Were-tigers get pounce and rake.

Kindasortanotreally.

Special Attacks

A lycanthrope retains the special attacks of the base creature or base animal, depending on which form it is using, and also gains the special attacks described below.

A lycanthrope’s hybrid form does not gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.

wadledo
2009-01-16, 01:44 PM
But you do have access to them in one of your forms.
They way you stated it, it sounded like you never got them, which isn't true.
Since people might want to go completely animal, this is an important thing to remember.

Dyllan
2009-01-16, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I want to stick pretty close to the RAW on the mechanics of it, though I may lower or remove the LA, since this isn't by choice.

I also don't plan to warn them first. These will be new characters right at the beginning of a campaign, so it's not like I'm screwing with someone they've had time to build up and become very fond of. Also, I have very understanding players who believe strongly in Rule 0 (you can argue rules, but in the end, what the DM says is law).

I actually don't want to equalize HD. The fighter types will probably get higher HD animals, while the casters get lower ones. That means a bigger boost for the fighters at first, but the casters will progress faster, somewhat making up for that.

I was hoping for some suggestions from other sources. I've been through the MM... and will likely use some of those... but I'd like more variety than it offers. I just don't know where else to go for animal stats.

Dyllan

wadledo
2009-01-16, 01:58 PM
*snip*

Any and all the MM's, the races of *blank* and the environmental books have animals.
They're everywhere.

Dyllan
2009-01-16, 03:41 PM
Any and all the MM's, the races of *blank* and the environmental books have animals.
They're everywhere.

Guess I just need to get home to my library then... and stop trying to plan these things at work.

Altima
2009-01-16, 05:36 PM
It really all depends on how you play the game. Sure, lycanthropy will benefit the big ole warrior types the most, but there are ways to help avoid this. For example, no caster I have ever met turns down free DR.

And there is, of course, playing up the curse angle. I mean reeeeally playing it up. Sure, your party may be filled with incredibly powerful monsters, but what's the point if they can't get into town? They only change once a month, or so. If your party's good/lawful, make giving into the change a chaotic/evil act to represent the beast trying to take control. Borrow a page from 2nd edition and through wolfweres (or equivalent) at them. Send silver-equipped hunters at them. You know, whatever.

Warrior types would probably prefer your typical bruiser types (bear, boar, wolf, whatever). Casters are a bit stranger to look for. Only problem is, if they were to all change at once (full moon) and they're all different animals, wouldn't they all, you know, try to kill each other? It might be easier to simply make them all wolves or other pack/herd animals.

Alternatively, instead of trying to base each form off of class, you could base it off of alignment. For example, if a character is lawful good, have that person turn into a lion (stereotypical 'noble' animal and many a paladin likes it).

Anyway, if you're forcing all the characters to take lycanthropy, I'd say do away with LA, and just adjust your monster encounters. Besides, I'm guessing one of the ultimate goals of this party will be to cure themselves.

Mikeavelli
2009-01-16, 08:18 PM
Have a group of four young Wereturtles, all named after famous artists from your campaign world.

Give them levels in Ninja.

Canadian
2009-01-16, 08:25 PM
I'd make it funny. Like teen wolf!

BobVosh
2009-01-16, 08:29 PM
It really all depends on how you play the game. Sure, lycanthropy will benefit the big ole warrior types the most, but there are ways to help avoid this. For example, no caster I have ever met turns down free DR.

It would take a lot of DR to make up for CL. Also a good type of DR, although silver is good for it.

Mando Knight
2009-01-16, 09:34 PM
Have a group of four young Wereturtles, all named after famous artists from your campaign world.

Give them levels in Ninja.

And their teacher must be an ancient were-rat named after a small shard of wood.

Prometheus
2009-01-16, 11:05 PM
Were-camels for the win!

zakk2to2
2009-01-16, 11:07 PM
for the spellcaster make it so they have access to a feat like the druids have that allow casting in animal form. the players will be like "sure being a were bat might not be so fun but hey i can rain death from above without worrying about them dispelling me!". also if you have any of them with animal companions/ familiers make sure they are all werecreatures that interact well together(for the players to). dont make the sorc a hawk and expect the raven familier to like this.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-16, 11:50 PM
You could always go for a generic (+0 or +1 LA) template, flavored differently for each animal type.

I'll see if I can't come up with an appropriate template for you. Would you prefer +0 LA, or +1?

zakk2to2
2009-01-16, 11:58 PM
most people wont have a problem being thropes if there is a benefit to it. my DM had a player want to be one so bad the DM had to give all the wererats in this one sewer dentures. but still remember spellcasters will love you if you let them cast in animal form, druids can do it so why not allow them a feat also.(just remember if they want the feat to remind them that anyother werecaster will have access to it to)

Jothki
2009-01-17, 12:13 AM
Have them become were-elves.

zakk2to2
2009-01-17, 12:18 AM
being a loyal dwarf fortress player i must now sacrifice your avatar to Amok. sorry no hard feelings just to many of the blighters already without good honest dwarves turning into them.

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN IRONBLOOD!!!

Copacetic
2009-01-17, 12:23 AM
being a loyal dwarf fortress player i must now sacrifice your avatar to Amok. sorry no hard feelings just to many of the blighters already without good honest dwarves turning into them.

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN IRONBLOOD!!!

What?

In other news, give them a choice. This both gives the players a chance to further form their characters, and gives you the "You picked it" Excuse when they inevitable complain.

Moonshadow
2009-01-17, 12:49 AM
Were-camels for the win!

Shupid! Kwi!

Admiral Squish
2009-01-17, 01:01 AM
You could always go for a generic (+0 or +1 LA) template, flavored differently for each animal type.

I'll see if I can't come up with an appropriate template for you. Would you prefer +0 LA, or +1?

Also known as: shifter race.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-17, 01:07 AM
Also known as: shifter race.

Doesn't work with 'acquired' lycanthropy, and also doesn't work with anything that isn't ostensibly human to begin with.

Admiral Squish
2009-01-17, 01:27 AM
Doesn't work with 'acquired' lycanthropy, and also doesn't work with anything that isn't ostensibly human to begin with.

A viable argument. However, it's a pretty easy switch. Just tack on the shifting ability to any other race. With the races of ebberon list of traits, you can cover almost every animal you can think of.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-17, 01:36 AM
Well damn. Now I have no reason to finish my loup garou template.

Samakain
2009-01-17, 02:24 AM
While its a completely different system i suggest a look at Werewolf from WOD for some inspiration, i haven't played in years but i remember kindred of the east had a were-fox which was a slightly more cerebral build.

But the rest of the advice given here is solid, tone down the copes, also make some builds be beneficial to the casters even if the animal in question doesn't have the stats for it, off the top of my head, were-owl for wisdom, were-raven for int, and i dunno what you could do for charisma were-tucan? be as funny as hell anyway :P

JellyPooga
2009-01-17, 02:28 AM
I actually don't want to equalize HD. The fighter types will probably get higher HD animals, while the casters get lower ones. That means a bigger boost for the fighters at first, but the casters will progress faster, somewhat making up for that.

If you aren't equalising HD, then might I suggest not having too big a difference; The fighter picking up Dire Tiger and the Wizard taking Eagle is something like an 15 HD differential...that's one serious setback for the Wizard!

I was hoping for some suggestions from other sources. I've been through the MM... and will likely use some of those... but I'd like more variety than it offers. I just don't know where else to go for animal stats.

As has been mentioned, Animals are all over the place; Races of X, the Environment books (Sandstorm etc.)...pretty much every splatbook that isn't specifically geared towards character creation (i.e. PHB II, Completes, etc.) has a section for new monsters, of which there is usually at least one animal. Hell, even Libris Mortis, a book specifically about Undead creatures, has an Animal in its monster section!

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-17, 02:32 AM
I second the idea of letting casters use magic normally in animal form, and removing LA would be a good idea. If a character didnt get infected (or even hit during the fight), how would you have them get infected?

zakk2to2
2009-01-17, 02:33 AM
a party member bites them! whahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-17, 02:48 AM
If their alignment isn't changed, why would they do that unless the person asked to be bitten? Also, wouldn't that suggest that the character wouldn;t want to spend time looking for a cure?

Launchpad
2009-01-17, 05:30 PM
To avoid the conflict with the number of hit dice the creature has you could make a progression for the animal benefits.
Brown Bear example from wizards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031114a)

If you give them the benefits from first 2 levels of the template class for free and make the levels in the animal class optional the casters won't be too screwed. They even get the higher benefits if they cast wisdom based.

You may need to make the animal classes yourself if you want more than just the brown bear, but I think its a better way then just giving them all the animal hit dice.

And remove the alignment change rule. Its just stupid. Especially if you consider the alingnment description of the lycanthrope: (from the SRD)

Alignment:
Any. Noble creatures such as bears, eagles, and lions tend to produce good-aligned lycanthropes. Sinister creatures such as rats, snakes, and wolves tend to produce evil-aligned lycanthropes. This is a reflection of how these animals are perceived, not any innate quality of the animal itself, so the alignment of the animal form can be arbitrarily assigned.