PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Assassin build.

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-16, 02:31 PM
What is the best way of going about my assassin build.

We are starting at level 21.
Taking three levels of Swashbuckler for Insightful strike.
Taking all ten levels of Assassin.
The rest will comprise of Rogue probably.

What I really need to know is the quickest way of getting into Assassin, considering its skill rank prerequisites. Should I do the Swashbuckler or Rogue first?

Also are there any other classes or items that progress Sneak / Death Attack?

(Can use Core, Complete X, Races of X, ToB and MIC).

Thanks in advance.

Assassin89
2009-01-16, 02:36 PM
Assassin's dagger progresses Death Attack by giving a +1 bonus to the DC of death attack.

shadowfox
2009-01-16, 02:38 PM
Rogue. Flat out Rogue. The extra skill points (both per level and from first level) will allow you to diversify, yet still cover the prerequisites, and ALL of the skills are Class Skills for Rogues.

So go Rogue to 5th level, then whatever combo of Swashbuckler/Assassin/Rogue you want from there.

As for items that progress Sneak Attack and Death Attack, I'm not really sure (there is, however, an Epic Feat that increases Sneak Attack damage). To make Death Attack harder to resist, boost your Int. Other than that, I can't really help.

NEO|Phyte
2009-01-16, 02:43 PM
Ability Focus (Death Attack) gets you +2 to the DC, at the cost of a feat.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-16, 02:48 PM
I'd recommend Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Assassin 10/Swashbuckler +5, and take the Daring Outlaw feat.

If you can get away with it, a different (perhaps better) build would be using my d20r Rogue and taking the Apprentice Asssassin special power at 8th. In this case, a better build might look like Rogue 8/Assassin 10/Rogue +3.

Telonius
2009-01-16, 03:32 PM
If you break off at an odd number of Rogue levels, a single level of Master of Masks and the Assassin mask will bump your sneak attack by 1d6.

This also means that you'll be an Assassin masquerading as an Assassin. Argue for a bonus to your Death attack because of this. Because, really, who would expect an attack from somebody who claimed to be an Assassin? If you're an Assassin, you'd be sneaky enough to try to hide yourself, and not make it obvious that you're an Assassin. But since you're broadcasting the fact that you're an Assassin, obviously you couldn't really be an Assassin. And since they don't believe you're really an Assassin, you have them right where you want them! :smallbiggrin:

PinkysBrain
2009-01-16, 03:57 PM
What's the point of death attack? If the critter can be killed that way the casters in the group will have forced him to save or die a dozen times before 3 rounds are over.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-16, 03:59 PM
What's the point of death attack? If the critter can be killed that way the casters in the group will have forced him to save or die a dozen times before 3 rounds are over.

...you can use it on the guy whose projecting an AMF, I suppose.

mangosta71
2009-01-16, 04:02 PM
Unless you've killed all the casters in your group and made off with their shinies. :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2009-01-16, 04:39 PM
It's a lot less flashy than a lot of them. An assassin can be sitting on a rooftop watching a noble through a window, put a bolt through his brain and be away before anyone knows what's going on.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-16, 04:48 PM
The DM is unlikely to design the campaign around your abilities though, so that situation is going to come up once in a blue moon ... and there are plenty of ways to do the same with magic (let alone epic magic). Extremely situational abilities (with still only a 50/50 chance of success) are not something to build a character around ... the fact the Assassin can cast Wraith Strike, that is something you can build a character around.

Telonius
2009-01-16, 04:58 PM
It's a lot less flashy than a lot of them. An assassin can be sitting on a rooftop watching a noble through a window, put a bolt through his brain and be away before anyone knows what's going on.

Actually, by RAW, he can't.

If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice).

Emphasis added. This is among the stupidest oversights in the core rules, IMO.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 05:07 PM
Hmmm, I'd actually say go with Rogue3/Swash7/Swordsage2/Assassin11, become an epic assassin at 21. Pick up Daring Outlaw, and make sure to take your first SS level at 5, and your 2nd at 14. This will allow you to nab Cloak of Deception and Sudden Leap at the first one, along with Island of Blades stance. Sudden Leap will go a long ways toward helping you almost always get full attacks. You should have 2 Tiger Claw manevuers, a prereq and Sudden Leap. At 14, you get an extra maneuver, and you qualify for Pouncing Charge. Nab it. Now you can Pouncing Charge one foe, Sudden Leaping to another if you kill him. Do this in the surprise round for LOTS of sneak damage.

Other feats of note, TWF, ITWF, GTW, Shadow Blade, Ability Focus: Death Attack, and Carmandine Monk, which switches your SS AC feature over from Wis to Int to gain more synergy with Swashbuckler, Rogue, and Assassin. Your primary stat should be Int, with Dex being a close second and Con being third. After that, Str, Cha, and Wis don't matter much. Staggering Strike might also be fun. For your epic feat, I'd suggest Great Int or the extra SA one.

Actually, by RAW, he can't.

Actually, with Spell Compendium, pg 193, he can:

Assassin4
Cast Time: Standard
Duration: 1 rd/lv

When you cast Sniper's Eye, you gain the following benefits.
<snip>
The ability to make a death attack with a ranged weapon rather than just a melee weapon. The target must be within 60 feet.
<snip>

Gilby
2009-01-16, 05:49 PM
Though it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for, but there is an ability for pathfinder Bards to kill with their performance due to an overwhelming sadness or joy. Then maybe make a feat for the death to be delayed up to an hour. You could perform for a king then the king drop dead shortly after. No one would be the wiser. Doubt this is the route you want though.