PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Totemist?

Person_Man
2009-01-16, 04:52 PM
I'm giving Magic of Incarnum a second serious read, and I'm wondering about the Totemist. It seems to be patterned after the Psychic Warrior, but with ability DCs based on Con instead of Wis, which is a huge deal.

I know that he can get a ridiculous number of natural attacks. But so far, that's all I've figured out. What other tricks am I missing? Is it possible for the Totemist to be a good tank, and not just a glass cannon? Or have I missed the boat on what the class "really" should be doing?

Thanks.

Adumbration
2009-01-16, 04:57 PM
Totemist can easily tank due to his great HP: a d8 hd is not bad, but the main bulk comes from the SAD on Constitution. Sure, it's not as great SAD as Dragonfire adept, since Strength and Dexterity help greatly the battle-orientated, but still.

There's also the Dissolving Spittle, which is basically almost like the Eldritch Blast of the Warlock, but with lower range, acid damage and that you may provoke Attacks of Opportunity.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-16, 05:28 PM
Totemists are also extraordinarily mobile. A number of their melds provide alternative forms of movement: Blink Shirt gives a dimdoor ability (as a move action if you bind it) and can be used for your typical shadowpounce build. Phase Cloak gives an ethereal ability whenever moving, which lets you do things like avoid magical walls of energy and other hazards (like traps!). Lammasu Mantle gives you flight. Sphinx Claws gives you pounce with natural attacks, which you can couple with Thunderstep Boots (which are available through a feat) to full-attack, add d4s of damage and stunning. Couple that with a Worg Pelt and you can trip on your bite too.

Totemists also can max their AC very easily. Wormtail Belt plus Lammasu Mantle plus Astral Vambraces (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) will give you a healthy bonus to your natural and deflect ACs relatively easily, as well as give you DR/magic.

Further, even with a single bind investment, they make excellent scouts: many totemist binds provide plusses to Hide and Move Silently.

This particular example (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=1523) has some glaring shortcomings (Will save +0 at ECL 8, for instance), but it's a decent summary of what a totemist is capable of as far as AC and number of attacks.

Thurbane
2009-01-16, 09:16 PM
I must admit, after have bought (and then traded in) MoI, I am finding renewed interest in it. Is the Totemist clearly the best base class in the book?

AmberVael
2009-01-16, 09:31 PM
I must admit, after have bought (and then traded in) MoI, I am finding renewed interest in it. Is the Totemist clearly the best base class in the book?

Pretty much. Plus they have kickass flavor to boot, if done right.
I'm playing a combat focused Totemist, and I find it more entertaining than any of the Tome of Battle characters I've used.

Draz74
2009-01-16, 10:35 PM
IMHO, Incarnate isn't as cool, nor as good at melee, but is better than Totemist in a significant number of builds.

I'm one of those who thinks that Rogue 2/Incarnate 18 or Factotum 3/Incarnate 17 is a much better skill-monkey, in terms of just skills at least, than a pure Rogue or Factotum.

woodenbandman
2009-01-17, 09:40 AM
Incarnate has a much more even power creep. Incarnate stays fairly consistent over its many levels, while a totemist gets a massive spike at levels 2, 11, and 20. Incarnate is also better as a dip for most people, and can add a lot to an archery build focused on tossing out a ton of shots. I saw this awesome dwarven Ironsoul Forgemaster archer that got like +30 damage per shot from insight and competence bonuses granted by soulmelds, and that was pretty sweet.

Basically, though, a totemist is invulnerable at low levels because it can boost its AC really high, and also it can swap to dealing out the damage as a swift action. Combine with a Bard with Dragonfire Inspiration and be a Dragonborn Warforged Totemist for great fun. Great fun indeed.