||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||L|T||||||
|||||||I|K||||||
|||||||B|||||||
[/table]

Same characters' positions, I assume? Roll initiative. For the sake of observers, please use the [roll] function.

Though you see nothing before you, you anticipate some dread threat awaits in this strange place.

You know nothing and can anticipate little, only that some faction you have angered has put forth great effort to see you dead.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 06:32 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Also of note, Issendir is a Mindbender with 100' telepathy and Mind Sight, so anything invisible with an int greater than - comes up as a bright shiny light.

EDIT:
Wow...Issendir got a 42 init...lulz, new world record?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 06:37 PM
The giant, barely-visible glowy thing rolls.

[roll0]

Wow. Still on lowest count.

Remember, only Issendir can see it at all.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 06:49 PM
Issendir - Says there is something ahead, brace for the usual, and delays

Traj - Does his +6d6 song thing again...

Liam - delays

Betty - Casts Haste

Keld - Activates Circlet of Rapid Casting as a swift action, using 2 charges to cast Recitation, granting +3 to hit, saves, and AC for all allies (all worship Pelor). Standard Action to cast Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, giving +3 moral to attack and damage rolls, which is effectively +2 hit and +3 dmg because base stats assume Hero's Feast, a +1 moral to hit.

Issendir - stops delaying, activates his Circlet of Rapid Casting as a swift action for 1 charge and casts Glitterdust on the point of light.

What do I see?

[roll0]
Applicable for Planes, Religion, Dungeoneering, Nature, and Arcana.
DC is 10 + HD, and I get 1 trait below for each 5 points I beat the DC by.
Checking for Special Vulnerabilities first, then DR, then Special Attacks, then Special Qualities, then anything else.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 06:52 PM
Issendir's going to need a caster level check.

All Knowledge skills reveal nothing pertinent. I could actually start lying to you by this point, that's how overboard those rolls were. You've stopped thinking horses and jumped straight to zebras.

"That's no zebra... it's a space station!"

...figuratively speaking.

Edit: Do I even want to know how you got a +30 at level 11?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 06:58 PM
[roll0]

Although I was under the impression that GD was SR:No. D20srd.org is blocked for me from work, so I can't check.

And what you said reminded me of something from the Robot Chicken Star Wars episode.

Yo momma is SOOO fat, Obi-Wan looked at her and said "that's no moon, that's yo momma!"

EDIT:
14 ranks, +9 int gives +23. Collector of Stories skill trick from CScoundrel gives a +5 when identifying monsters, and his master work tool, called "John's First Baddie Book" gives another +2. All straight legal from the WotC books.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:01 PM
You are correct. My apologies.

Lucky for you. :smallyuk:

You see a very tall, roughly humanoid shape without discernible features. It is sparkly and extremely blurry.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 07:04 PM
Will save DC 21 please. Fail means you are blinded.

What do I get with my check?

Which Knowledge did I use to ID it?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:09 PM
[roll0]

I told you, none of those helped you. All you get is conjecture about whether it's a celestial of some sort or a positive-energy powered undead, or perhaps a being from the Elemental Plane of Air.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 07:18 PM
[roll0]

Holy **** me!

Err...hmmmm, part of me is saying Fog it and teleport the hell outa here...But, since they is no emotional attachment to the character, lez do this.

Issindir uses his standard cast Heroics on Liam, granting him the feat Improved Critical (Urgrosh).

Liam delays until after it goes.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:25 PM
Yeah, sorry, I'm still organizing my buffs. That should have been higher.

The enemy vanishes. Got any response before it takes its action?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 07:29 PM
Why does it vanish? Keld can sense all spells being cast within 120', even those without actions or components. If it was a Spell or Spell-like, Keld knows it. The spell is Battlemagic Perception, from Hero's of Battle if you want to look it up, or I can cite it. If its (SU) though, we are pretty boned.

And the thing has more than 37 HD? Seriously?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:31 PM
I see.

Very well, a spell effect erupts from its position, and it vanishes.

Do I owe Keld the name of said spell, or its school, or any such thing?

Edit: No, it doesn't have more than 38 HD. Those Knowledge skills were merely useless.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 07:41 PM
If its a spell, I get to make a spellcraft roll to ID it as its being cast as outlined in the PHB. I believe the DC is 15+spell level. I can also opt to counter spell it as a free action if I know the appropriate counter, but that ends Battlemagic Perception.

[roll0]

What is it?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:43 PM
You just survived.

It is teleport.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 07:50 PM
OK, don't choose to try to counter the teleport. What now? Its gone, and we are still sitting here...

Thats not it, is it?

Edit: Sorry for the long delay, I'm casting Smite Noob on that shield bash guy. He's got an ability called Aura of Density, which increases the casting time of all smiting spells by a factor of 10. He just doesn't understand that at any level past 2, the difference between 1d8 and 2d6 for base weapon damage doesn't matter hardly at all. Hell, Liam is using a 1d8 weapon, and he doesn't have any problem getting his point across. Get it? Urgrosh's have points? he he he he

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 07:54 PM
Well, it's no longer where it was.

Do you all pass? Or what do you do?

EDIT: Uh... did that belong in this thread or some other one? :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:00 PM
Liam passes the turn, if its not gonna show up.

Next turn, top of the order:

Keld casts Mass Shield of Faith with Divine Spell Power.
[roll0]
Thats CL+4. giving him a CL of 15, high enough for +4 SoF.

Issendir cast See Invisible

Keld delays

Traj delays

Betty delays

EDIT:
And yea, that was ment to be posted here. I didn't notice you had posted because I was buying typing up a smiting post in another tab that would be obvious enough that MAYBE he'll get the point, without getting reported...lol.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:05 PM
One can only hope.

Alrighty: any of your folks protected from flat-footedness even if they can't see where the attack comes from?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:12 PM
The 2 in front have Uncanny Dodge, and are thus protected from being denied their dex. Only Traj has Imp Uncanny Dodge, so he can only be SAed by a flanking 12th level rogue or higher, IIRC, since his warblade level is 7 and you need to be 5 levels higher. None of the 3 casters have anything to help out.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:15 PM
Then Issendir gets to know the lovely feeling of arrows. :smallsmile: (It was going to be him anyway, I just didn't want another nasty surprise.)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:16 PM
What bloody shoddy rolls.

I always thought that thread read "Shield of Bashing the OP" ...apparently with good and deserved reason. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:19 PM
Well, looks like they all hit, so here's their damage rolls.

Let me know if the above presumption is incorrect.

[roll0] and 1 Con damage
[roll1] and 1 Con damage
[roll2] and 1 Con damage
[roll3] and 1 Con damage
[roll4] and 1 Con damage

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:24 PM
Issendir casts Greater Mirror Image as an immediate action, but I can't seem to find it. I just checked Complete Mage and Spell Compendium, but I can't find it. Gah, where did I leave that spell?

Found it, PHBII, give me a sec....

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:26 PM
PHB 2, so it should be in the SC...

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:30 PM
It says "See Mirror Image", which I think is 1d4+ 1/3 CL

So, here's my 1d4+4 roll
[roll0]

Ok, so there are 7 of us to hit (me +6 images), do a roll 1d7, and I'll be 1. Every hit kills an image.

Unfortunately, you need to do a lot of rolls...le sigh.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:31 PM
That's correct.

Alrighty, I'll roll randomly for hits on the real wizard. 1's hit the real deal, okay?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:34 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

d7s, right.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

"Did I get him?"

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:36 PM
Stupid picky function tag...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

There. That's the 20 damage + 1 Con one.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:38 PM
Well, its screwed up, because unless you are doing a Multishot, you shoot 1 at a time, decreasing the die size and increasing the chance for an actual hit...

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:45 PM
I ad hoc'd that between the distance, the haste and the Multishot, there wasn't time for it to observe the distance before going at it again.

If you'd prefer a greater risk of being stapled, then by all means...

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:47 PM
K, damage taken, 20 + 1 con. 4 images pop.

BTW, Manyshot can only be done at a range of 30' or less, unless you got something that augements this. Also, can I determine from which direction the arrows come?

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:49 PM
Rapid Shot, on the other hand, can be done from whatever distance.

And yes; the arrows came down in a hail. Look up. Straaaaight up. :smallcool:

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:56 PM
Hmmmm, crap. So, my turn?

Keld casts Obscuring Mists and 5' steps left or right, I forget which side he's on.

Issendir take a 5' step the other way from Keld and casts fly on Liam. Oh, and he regens a mirror image, up to 3.

Liam stows his Urgrosh (move), grabs Liam (standard), and 5' steps vertically (flying) and away from the middle of the group diagonally.

Traj 5' steps 5' forward.

Betty 5' steps backwards.

BTW, dinner in about 30 minutes, then I gotta catch a bus back to my camp. So, from 5:30 to about 6:30 Alaska time, I'll be gone.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:58 PM
He's about 225 ft. above you, and his invisibility has broken. Roughly 9 ft. tall, dressed all in black under the sparkly dust, with a billowing cloak. In his gloved hands he holds a massive longbow.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 08:59 PM
Gap time's good for me; there was something I'd wanted to go do shortly.

Question: Liam grabs Liam?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 08:59 PM
Can you check the fly speed on Fly for a light load? I'm like, 90% sure its 60', but lemme know.

EDIT: Crap, Liam grabs Issendir, not himself. The dwarven masturbation scene comes later.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:02 PM
60 ft. is correct.

My turn? :belkar:

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 09:03 PM
Yea, your turn. Remember, Obscuring Mist means no targeting from more than 5' away.

YAY FOG!

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:06 PM
The foe seems to shrug, pulls an object out from under its cloak, and is suddenly covered in a sphere of pitch-black, which begins to grow and come towards you. Also, inertia moves him upwards another 5 ft.

Two can play at that game.

(that's darkness to you. :smallwink: On a side note, how are you enjoying the mystery? The thrill of the unexpected?)

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:16 PM
Your go, btw.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 09:17 PM
Its...Mindblowing. Now for a dirty trick I learned LONG ago.

Liam grabs Keld in his other hand, his str is high enough he can manage, Keld is only in light armor.

Issendir casts Teleport, porting him, Liam, and Keld 250' straight up. Since Liam is holding both and flying, neither fall.

Betty and Traj delay.

Now, Issendir still has a swift action left, and Keld hasn't acted.

Is the creature flying using any type of wings? The answer to this tells me how I'm gonna finish acting.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:18 PM
Nope. Nothing of the sort.

Of course you realize, now I'm curious.

By the way, if that was a straight teleport, then the wizard couldn't see where he was going at the time; "viewed once?"

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 09:23 PM
Drat, that must mean magical or SU flight. Well, lets try magical first....

Keld casts a targeted Greater Dispel Magic with Divine Spell Power.
[roll0]

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:27 PM
Its flight doesn't stop.

Again, how about that there teleport?

Do I get to throw you wildly off course? :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 09:27 PM
CL+3, great

1 Aura [roll0]
2 Aura [roll1]
3 Aura [roll2]
4 Aura [roll3]
5 Aura [roll4]
6 Aura [roll5]
7 Aura [roll6]
8 Aura [roll7]
9 Aura [roll8]
10 Aura [roll9]
11 Aura [roll10]
12 Aura [roll11]
13 Aura [roll12]
14 Aura [roll13]
15 Aura [roll14]
16 Aura [roll15]
17 Aura [roll16]
18 Aura [roll17]
19 Aura [roll18]
20 Aura [roll19]

I really hope he doesn't have more than 20 spells cast on him. Go down the list, top to bottom, and tell me what gets dispelled. The DC I'm aiming at is 11 + CL, and any items he may have that are giving non-continuous buffs are probably at min CL.

I need to see how this resolves before I continue.

EDIT: See this? This is me praying he doesn't have SU flight...PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PELOR!

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:34 PM
The enemy reaches forward with its free right hand and mutters something.

Nothing happens to anyone.

Now that that's been foiled, what's next? :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 09:40 PM
Still flying?

And what did it do, remember the Battle Magic Perception? And technically it was still my turn.

Plus, which spells DID I strip off?

EDIT: Dinner, be back in less than an hour.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 09:42 PM
The thing I love about immediate and free actions is that they often screw the other guy.

And Battle Magic told you nothing. Which means it was Su.

Does either dispel or BMP actually tell you what spells fail?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 10:35 PM
ok, back from dinner. Mmmmm burger.

So, Issendir still has his swift action left. He taps his Circlet of Rapid casting for the last 2 charges and casts Solid Fog, centered on the creature. No save, no SR.

Traj delays

Betty delays

That concludes my actions during the teleport round. Its turn. It can't Finger or whatever it did, because it no longer has LoEffect.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 10:39 PM
Alright. Can Issendir or anyone else see through solid fog?

Edit: darn shame you did that. What he was going to do next would have been hilariously epic.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 10:49 PM
Nope, there isn't an ability printed in the game that can "see" through a Solid Fog, but Issendir has Mindsight, and so he can sense its presence through the fog...

The SF is centered on the bottom corner of the "box" that the thing takes up that is closes to my characters. He can only move 5' per action through the fog.

BTW, what size catagory is it? I was initially thinking large, but then I remember that it only took up one square.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 10:52 PM
It's Large, but it's a tall Large.

Where's Mindsight from? I want to play this right.

...knew I should have taken Insensible...

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 10:58 PM
Lords of Madness. Its kind of an Illithid thing, but nothing about it requires you to be the bastard offspring of an octopus and a corpse. Just requires Telepathy, which a Mindbender gets at level 1.

I don't think Insensable would work, though, since its not Scent, Tremor Sense, or Blind Sense, which are typically the ones blocked by stuff like that.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 11:02 PM
A) You don't know what Insensible is.

B) It hides you from every sense. That psionic one that works via touch can't find you.

C) I can't find this feat...

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 11:05 PM
Look in the section on Illithids, its been a long time since I went through LoM, since I don't normally run Aberations in my games. I just remember that feat because its sooooo golden.

Found it, pg 126

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 11:08 PM
It was in Tsochar...

oddly enough, I think this opponent should be able to hide from that. However, I won't quibble.

The foe is no longer in the fog. Your turn.

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 11:12 PM
Liam will fly down at 180 speed (60 +30 haste x2 for flying downward) ready to stop if Issendir senses it. Does anything blip on the radar yet? Or does he get to the ground with a double move? If so, we go back to hiding. I'm assuming it was another Teleport, Keld still has BMP up.

PS, COME DOWN AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN..LIKE...THING...WHATEVER!!!! RAWR!

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 11:14 PM
No blips, no. The three of you can make Spot checks, however.

180 is still above the fog. To be specific, 255 - 180 = 75 ft. above the obscuring mist.

Yes, it was teleport.

Anything else before it bugs you again?

Keld Denar
2009-01-16, 11:19 PM
180 is a single move for Liam, whos movement speed is 90, and the fact that hes moving downward, which is always at double speed. Upward is always at 1/2 speed. He goes all the way to the ground and in the fog, then Keld casts his 1st level domain Cure Light on Issendir, and everyone else delays.

[roll0]

13 x 1.5 for empower is 19. Issendir is now only missing 1 hp.

Issendir regens another image, bringing him to 4 images.

Everyone else delays.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 11:26 PM
Remember, it's also pitch-black in that area thanks to the badguy's darkness.

And Issendir also lost 1 point of Con; note that.

afroakuma
2009-01-16, 11:38 PM
Your turn again.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:41 AM
Gah, either the forums or my internet just kicked me off for the last couple hours. So sad.

Anyway, I'm gonna chill in the cloud. Liam has enought movement to get everyone down in the cloud. Then Liam and Traj are gonna search for whatever it was the dude dropped with darkness. There we chill for the next 12 minutes, or until he shows up. Issendir is gonna keep scanning for intelligence.

GAH! WHY WON'T YOU COME DOWN HERE AND FIGHT FAIR!!!! RAWR!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 09:05 AM
Good morning!

Reflex saves, please!

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 10:37 AM
Gah, nothing on mind sight or BMP show up?

[roll=Betty+12]1d20+9
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

How long between when I dove to the ground and when we are making this save?

Gah, if I was like, 1-2 levels higher, I would totally have Mass Fly, but I wanted to have all of my saves covered for 5th and 6th level spells....grrrrrr.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 10:59 AM
What happened? The rolls are off, it says.

And yes, BMP recognizes it as a spell. Am I obliged to tell you which without a Spellcraft check, or...? How's that work?

Also: this is one round after your healing round. So, you had one round of do-nothing/Search.

Can I see Search checks, btw?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 11:41 AM
Yea, just got back to my office, so internet should be more reliable. I dunno why it says they are off, maybe since I type the first one and then copy/paste the roll functions...

[roll0]

for BMP
[roll1]

searching
[roll2]
[roll3]

BTW, darkness isn't that dark. Its "shadowy illumination" which will actually light up a dark room...oddly enough.

Also, Kelds action is to draw a PoP1 (move) and activate it (standard) to recall Obscuring Mist.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 11:50 AM
PoP?

Pearl of Power?

Meh, the darkness lets him get concealment from you as well, which was the main point.

Anyhoo, the incoming spell is fireball. Do you interfere with it somehow, or does it go off as planned?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 12:08 PM
Nope, we'll take the fireball.

And yes, PoP is Pearl of Powah.

Can I tell in general which direction the fireball came from? Also, can you check quick to see if See Invis is personal only? I think it is, but need to know if its not. Also, I don't remember if True Seeing is 6th or 7th, could you look that up as well? No PHB while I'm at work...le sigh.

Oh, and Fireball burns away my fog, as described in the Obscuring Mist spell.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 12:22 PM
Nope, we'll take the fireball.

Excellent. Keld failed. The rest saved.

[roll0]

The darkness blocks the fireball's angle, but I'm sure you can guess where it came from without much difficulty.

See invisibility is personal only; true seeing is Clr 5, Wiz 6

Oh, and Fireball burns away my fog, as described in the Obscuring Mist spell.

Oh, I know that. :smallamused:

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 12:32 PM
Ok.

Issendir spontaneously converts Illusionary Pit into True Seeing, and casts it on Liam and moves 60' in the direction he thinks the Fireball came from.

Keld moves 60' in the same direction, waiting to use his standard action until he figures out whats outside.

Traj moves 60' in the same direction, waiting to use his standard action until he figures out whats outside.

Betty moves 60' in the same direction, waiting to use his standard action until he figures out whats outside.

Liam flies 90' in the same direction, waiting to use his standard action until he figures out whats outside.

Liam rolls a [roll0] check when he comes out of the cloud if need be. He has TS up and running.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 12:46 PM
Edit: Glitched.

One moment.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 12:54 PM
Betty's a man?

Also, I'll pretend you had the expensive material component for that spell, to be fair.

Liam looks all around, including the ball of darkness (he sees a large bolas at the center) and up to the solid fog. Doesn't spot your foe.

Are you delaying until after my action, or have you readied something?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:08 PM
Nah, was just trying to see if he'd pop up. Just for reference, all of my character should be out of the darkness, having moved at least 60' from the center of the darkness spell.

Issendir is out of actions

Keld will ready to cast a spell if something hostile happens.

Liam will continue to fly 90' since he hasn't seen anything. Liam is flying at ground level.

Traj will stay with Issendir and Keld

Betty will ready to cast a spell if something hostile happens.

And thats the end of my turn.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 01:10 PM
Your foe pops out from above the solid fog, visible only to Liam, since he's too far off for Issendir's mindsight.

Keld gets to enjoy the next bombardment of arrows. He's flat-footed, I believe?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:18 PM
Liam is the only flyer, and he's at ground level. Mostly just taking advantage of the boosted fly. For reference, 4 characters are 60' from where the darkeness was centered, and Liam is 180' away from where it was centered, in the direction the fireball came from. Looking for this freaking peakaboo bastard....

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:21 PM
Um, he's already acted in combat. The only way he'd be FFed is if the guy was invisible, which he wasn't.

So, lemme get this straight, he was in the solid fog all along? Why did mind sight detect him disappear? I'm seriously confused now...

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 01:21 PM
Under the assumption that that's accurate, have a salvo of arrows.

[roll0], [roll1] and 1 Con
[roll2], [roll3] and 1 Con
[roll4], [roll5] and 1 Con
[roll6], [roll7] and 1 Con
[roll8], [roll9] and 1 Con

...and then he becomes visible. Sans the glitterdust. I'll tell you how I pulled that after combat.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 01:22 PM
Alright, let me sort it for you:

Teleport round. (You teleported)
Enemy vanishes round. (He teleported)
Where'd he go round? (You went back to ground)
Search round. (No luck, you caught a fireball)
I'm back and you're a pincushion round.

Make sense? Let's sort it out before I proceed.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:27 PM
Betty and Keld had readied actions to cast, can I nab those after the first arrow hits?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 01:30 PM
They'll be able to see him so, yes.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 01:41 PM
Betty casts Solid Fog 30' up between the bulk of the party and the baddie after the first arrow. Keld casts Cure Serious from his domain slot.

[roll0] x1.5
That's 40 healing.

The thing now doesn't have LoS anymore and can't target any of the guys hiding under the cloud.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 01:49 PM
That bloody fog again.

The remaining arrows hit the fog bank and get caught, becoming harmless.

Alrighty, you've hidden it from your view. Now what?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 02:04 PM
How high is he? Within charge range of Liam's 90' fly speed?

Remember, Liam wasn't under the fog with the others, he was off to the side a bit.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 02:07 PM
If charge is 2x move, then no. Especially since Liam would be climbing (half speed)

After his 5' step, he's 230 ft. up. Liam is the only one with a line of sight to him.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 02:17 PM
How about this then....another or my dirty tricks.

Liam delays.

Issendir sends his familar flying up as fast as it can. Its essentially a Swallow with a speed of 30, hasted to 60. Thus, it can ascend at 30 (1/2 speed. He sends it flying up, double move of for 60 total, then delays the rest of his action.

Betty casts Benign Transposition, swapping the position of her familiar with Issendir's. It then flys up another 60' bringing it to a total elevation of 120 ft. Betty is done with her turn.

Issendir comes out of delay and casts Benign Transposition, swapping Liam and Betty's familar. Liam is now 120' up, can can charge up to 90 nearly straight up. Is he close enough now?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 02:20 PM
That's 210. What can you do from 20 ft away?

Technically, your solid fog should interfere with this "dirty trick," but let's see where this goes.

It was a very good trick, though. I'll have to remember that.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 02:33 PM
Bah, it was 230 feet up? Not fair. Guess I'll just have him double move. Keld will cast Lesser Vigor on Betty and draw another PoP1, and Traj will keep his performance and delay indefinitely unless something happens to come within his land based charge range. Grrrrr.

Oh, hey...can a creature with a fly speed "run"? like, quad movement? I just thought of that, and if I can, I'd like to get up there. Again, no DMG checking for me. Stupid websense.

Oh, and as for the solid fog blocking, I was under the impression that the cloud is up and over to the side, because it it between the archer and the party. Thus, straight up SHOULD be clear. Is this perception correct?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 02:39 PM
True. To be specific, it should be X|F|F|F|F|P

X = Me

P = You

No, fly specifically doesn't let you run. Where will Liam go?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 02:55 PM
No, not the fly spell. I'm talking about an (ex) fly speed. Should be in the DMG. If I can get my Hummingbirds to fly-run, that nets me an extra 120' movement, more than enough to get Liam into charging range....go go go!

And if its:

X|0|F|F|F|F|0|P|0|0|0|L

in 2D along the ground. and

P|0|F|F|F|F|0|0|0|X

in 2D vertically, with left being the ground and right being up in the air.

3D combat is messed up.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:01 PM
Oh; then yes, you can definitely do that.

Sorry; didn't think.

Running is permitted in a straight line.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:05 PM
Ok, so Issendir's Hummingbird "runs" 120' straight up, get BTed with Betty's hummingbird, which "runs" 120' staight up, and gets BTed with Liam. Liam charges! RAWR!

Edit, still wielding the bow?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:15 PM
Nope. Bow's gone.

Edit: That bloody BMP. What is the range of detection on it, since I don't have that book and they didn't see fit to reprint it?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:21 PM
But but but...he was just shooting with it? And you can't use Quickdraw to stow a weapon? I'm confused....RAWR!!!!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:22 PM
What's the range of BMP's detection?

Ugh... I am hating that bloody spell. No wonder they didn't put it in the Compendium.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:28 PM
Hero's of Battle, pg. 125

<snip> sense the use of any spell or spell-like ability within 100 feet, so long as you have line of effect to the caster. <snip>

So, Keld can't ID spells from down there, since hes 230' down. Liam is charging. Let me just clarify, its not holding any weapons or similar equipment? Remember, Liam has TS running.

EDIT: And thats the ONLY good spell from that book. The rest of it is completely retarded. I mean, seriously, Animate Siege Weapon (replacing a crew of 3-4 guys) is a 7th level freakin cleric spell. GREATER RESTORATION is a 7th level cleric spell. Or Avoidance, or HOLY WORD! All of which would have a much bigger effect than animating a single siege weapon. Retardededededed.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:34 PM
Ah. You're right; that will let you see something you won't want to.

Its bow is in its left hand, and a massive battleaxe is in its right.

Enjoy! :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:39 PM
Ok, finishing the charge, then Raging, then with 2 points of PA, attacking the thing.

[roll0] [roll1][roll2]
[roll3] [roll4][roll5]
[roll6] [roll7][roll8]
[roll9] [roll10][roll11]
[roll12] [roll13][roll14]

/pray

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:40 PM
Confirming Primary

[roll0]

Stupid 60 second post cooldown...

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:42 PM
Attempting to confirm again...

[roll0]

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:42 PM
Alrighty, your primary hits, but not crit.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:47 PM
So that's 55 damage, all told.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:48 PM
Can I concede now? This thing has between a 43 and a 46 AC....Even fully buffed, I only hit on a 17ish +

lolsilly. Does it at least take the damage I delt? Its a Magic Adamantine weapon. Also, does the flaming go through from the DFI?

Edit: Lunch, BRB

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 03:50 PM
Are you sure you want to concede before seeing what it does next? :smallamused:

Yes, the flaming damage hit it. The rest was subdual. It has no DR.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 04:25 PM
Crap, I forgot Raging, which adds another +2 to hit, and +4 damage. Does my 2nd hit of 44 connect?

And yes, all my characters except Traj have acted, and he's delaying indefinitely. That means you are up.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 04:48 PM
No, it does not.

Alright, so additional 4 subdual. Gotcha.

...hmm...I may have made an error in that rounds table. Seems I required one more standard action before attacking than I had thought.

Of course, this battle is already full of errors anyway. :smalltongue: Most due to your many ridiculous detection tactics.

You want me to try to rectify that, or shall we simply assume a second Search round (as we were going to) and proceed?

Also, how far away is Liam?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 04:52 PM
Liam is adjacent.

What did you change? There was an extra casting of Invisibility in there, wasn't there?

EDIT: And detection is KEY. You can't fight what you can't find, and you can't control what you can't locate. RAWR!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 04:53 PM
Nope. It was a dismissal of an effect. The effect I used to lose the glitterdust, of course.

EDIT: Well, sure, but Liam shouldn't have been able to see him from the ground with true seeing, since it has a range of 120 ft.

EDIT the second: Actually, if we're going by a second invisibility hiding the sparkly dust particles, then everything's fine.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:02 PM
I don't think a 2nd casting of invisble will hide the particles from Glitterdust. I guess its your call though, since you are acting as DM. It just seems kind of contradictory to the purpose of GD.

And invis was broken by its attacks against Keld, which I twarted with my Fog. Unless it had Greater Invis up, then I'd have bigger problems than I thought.

PS, still your turn,

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 05:14 PM
Oh, I'm aware.

No, I'd used a different tactic to lose the enemy particles. And no, it wasn't greater.

Anyhoo, my turn.

The enemy reaches out a hand and pushes lightly on Liam's chest.

[roll0]

If I hit him, I'll ask for a Will save (DC 28)

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:19 PM
[roll=Gulp!]1d20+22[/quote]

Assuming its a spell, spell-like, or SU?

AND CRAP! I forgot my Favored Enemy: Arcanist and my +1d6 damage vs anything with spells or spell likes. Take [roll0] extra damage, and does a 45 hit for my 2nd attack?

Sorry to do this....my ability to keep track of stuff is terribad.

Also, SUs and SPs provoke, I'm pretty sure, can I claim my AoO?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:20 PM
No punctuation in the [roll] command...lol

[roll0]

I /fail at the forum roller....

actually, that's 4 points higher. 2 from Raging, and 2 from my increased CON, which adds to my will save from Steadfast Determination.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 05:25 PM
*sigh* Take your AoO.

:smallannoyed: I attacked his weakest save. He has +20 in bonuses to Will?

Well, that's just no fun. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have bothered.

EDIT: Not even! :smallsigh: I was thinking of another combat entirely. *sigh* I thought he had +6 to Will.

3 extra subdual damage, marked.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:28 PM
So, it has an AC of 46 exactly? 45 didn't hit?

[roll0] [roll1][roll2]

That attack and damage should be correct.

And between Steadfast Determination, Occult Slayers good will save, and my dwarven and OS save bonuses, yea, my will save is beastly.

Yea, +26 will save melee dude...rockin out!

Blah, fail roll

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of a sheet from another combat, so I thought he had only a +6 with maybe a few buffs, which would have been doable. +26, if I'd known, I wouldn't have done it.

You missed.

And no, it doesn't have an AC of 46. You rolled a natural 20 on that hit.

It will rise 20 ft. as its move action.

EDIT: Guess the hilarious move from earlier wouldn't have worked; same trick.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:48 PM
So, it had 1 hand free to touch me, 1 hand is holding a bow, and 1 hand is holding an axe. Does it have 4 arms?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 05:52 PM
No, it was holding nothing in its hands, but Liam can see the bow and axe thanks to true seeing.

Sometimes, it's not as useful as one might hope.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 05:57 PM
So, its holding the axe and bow? This is important...I'm scemeing. This is hard, and I want to make sure I have everything exactly right. With TS, do I see him holding the weapons or wearing the weapons, like, in a scabard or belt? AKA, is he armed and threatening after making that touch attack?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 05:59 PM
They seem to be adhering to his palms without visible means of support.

Of course, if he has IUS, then he'll be armed and threatening anyway, with a 10' reach. But I'm not saying that he does.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:10 PM
OK, since I'm running out of options I'm gonna try this out for creative sake's sake. Charge! Do you have reach? I'll suck up an AoO if you threaten. Otherwise I'll continue with my action.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:17 PM
The enemy snaps the fingers of its right hand and then closes them around the haft of its axe.

[roll0]

[roll1] and [roll2] cold damage

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:18 PM
MISS! BOO YEA! Not losing AC from Raging 4tw!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:19 PM
:eek:

That's unfair. Why do I roll a two???

*sigh* Should have had them buff the axe as well. :smallyuk:

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:20 PM
Now, Sunder attack on the Bow!

No PA, first attack is an attempt to sunder the bow. You get a +4 bonus for size, but a -4 penalty for it being a ranged weapon. Since he's holding it in 1 hand, there is no bonus for that. I get a +4 bonus for wielding my weapon in both hands, +4 from my Armbands of Might, and +2 from my ragingness, and +2 from charging.

You need to make an opposed attack roll at +0. Here is mine.
[roll0]

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:21 PM
Your weapon flies harmlessly through your perception of the bow.

It was a very good idea, though.

Proceed.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:27 PM
DIE IN A FIRE!@!#@!$!@%$#@%^

Free action, dropping Urgrosh.

Flurry attack GRAPPLE!
Touch attack
[roll0]

Opposed Grapple
[roll1]

Holy **** on a stick...that was horrible....

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:29 PM
Your touch attack fails. You can see disdain in the enemy's eyes.

A voice enters your ears.

"You will die. Now."

My turn?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:34 PM
Nope, still got 3 attacks left. My grapple failed because I didn't hit touch AC or didn't beat his grapple? Need to know!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:35 PM
You didn't hit his touch AC.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:39 PM
Haste=
[roll0]
[roll1]

Secondary=
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tertiary=
[roll4]
[roll5]

I'm done after that.

Keld regains his Lesser Vigor from another pearl.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:40 PM
All missed.

Any of your casters below going to try anything?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:41 PM
No fair...you can't have a 40+ touch AC? :smallfrown:

No, nobody else can do anything...

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:44 PM
Bring it! RAWR!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:47 PM
My touch AC is higher than your melee attack maximum.

You really need to dispel my buffs.

The enemy floats 10 ft. back (AoO if you wish).

He then closes his right hand completely; when he opens it, the axe still appears attached to his palm. He snaps the fingers on his left hand, closing them around the bow haft. He then retrieves some arrows from a black quiver behind him and fires directly at Liam.

[roll0], [roll1] and 1 Con (Point Blank Shot +1 damage)

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 06:48 PM
ARGH. More hideous rolls. Another 2!!! :smallfurious:

:smalleek: I didn't even roll so much as a 10!!! :smallfrown:

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 06:58 PM
HA! Still have 42 HP left after the con damage.

Liam - Charge straight down at 180 speed (360 max range) and make attack to pick up lost Urgrosh.
[roll0]

Keld - Casts HEAL (thats right, capital letters) to restore 142 HP and all con damage from Liam.

Betty - Readies action to cast Solid Fog to interupt Line of Effect to baddy.

Issendir - delays

Traj - delays

COME DOWN HERE AND FIGHT!!!!!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 07:06 PM
Not while you still have that fool turning ability and greater dispel magic.

If your Will saves weren't so high, I actually would. :smallamused: Of course, you'd then be missing a character...

Alright, 40 ft. move to one side of the old fog cloud, attempts an arrow barrage against Keld.

These are likely irrelevant, but...

[roll0], [roll1] and 1 Con

Sorry, range penalty. Apply -2 to each before anything happens - if anything happens.

:furious: ANOTHER TWO?!?!?!?! ... no... TWO ADDITIONAL TWOS?????

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 07:10 PM
Yea, since he wasn't invisible, I Fog in response to the 1st shot. Betty wags her finger at you and says NO!

My group is screwed. There isn't much we can do against you. Can't even run away easily, given your at will teleport, fast fly speed, and the fact that I'm ass out of teleports of my own.

Can I have a new monster?

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 07:14 PM
I'll tell you this:

I have one teleport remaining. I was planning to use it to bring myself about 600 ft away on the ground and just start bombing you.

The problem is, I can't let him close to melee when there's a risk of you breaking all of his stuff/turning him. He's not dumb enough.

I'm out of fireball (stupid ring of minor spell storing) and am basically just trying to steer clear of all your bloody fog.

At range, I can continue doing my hasted Rapid Shot at those bonuses. Accepting minor penalties would let me hit you from nearly half a mile away.

My physical AC with buffs is 60, touch 47, flat-footed 37. You were never going to hit me.

I'll definitely win the battle, because I can stop one more greater dispel magic without effort and just wait you out with wounding arrows. It's only a matter of when, and of how much irritation you could conceivably do me.

I accept the concession.

I have another CR 17 monster handy; we can run that in a bit.

Would you like to meet your foe?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 07:23 PM
Yea, I give. I only had 1 regular dispel magic left, which would only be at a +14, not high enough to do much damage.

Would you like me to retool my wizard to bring him into your guidelines? Or leave him as is?

And I know that its a homebrew monster and can break rules, but Wounding is kinda a melee only enhancement.

Yea, you wanna just post the whole stat block of that thing?

Any chance you could make an EL17 encounter, like, 2 CR15s, or a CR15 and a few CR12s? I think multifoe encounters are a lot more fun than 5 vs 1 fights.

Host up a new thread!

EDIT: I got a fresh cup of coffee and 2 hours to kill before quittin time. BRING IT ON!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 07:32 PM
Yea, I give. I only had 1 regular dispel magic left, which would only be at a +14, not high enough to do much damage.

It would do enough.

Would you like me to retool my wizard to bring him into your guidelines? Or leave him as is?

Please do.

And I know that its a homebrew monster and can break rules, but Wounding is kinda a melee only enhancement.

:eek: Why didn't anyone tell me when I posted him? That was... a big cornerstone of it...

Oh well. Homebrew a "puncturing" ability or suchlike. Same diff. :smallfrown:

Yea, you wanna just post the whole stat block of that thing?

Sure.

Buffs list:

Magic Vestment
Greater Magic Weapon (composite longbow)
Greater Vigor
Recitation
Superior Resistance
Blur
Heroics (Weapon Specialization (composite longbow))
Haste
Unholy Aura
Greater Heroism
Owl's Wisdom
Divine Agility
Barkskin

Caster level 20, casters assumed to have 20 prime req. stat aided by fox's cunning et. al

Any chance you could make an EL17 encounter, like, 2 CR15s, or a CR15 and a few CR12s? I think multifoe encounters are a lot more fun than 5 vs 1 fights.

Fine, but I'm banishing your lady friend. Your Inits are ridiculous enough; she goes back to "non-party" status like all the other external aids.

Host up a new thread!

Should be up in ~ half an hour.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 07:33 PM
Keld Danar, meet Dandag the Quiet

Dandag the Quiet
Large Giant
Ogre Mage Level 14 Ninja
HD 5d8+14d6+114 (185 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 40 ft. (good)
Init: +8
AC 38; touch 30; flat-footed 25 (+7 bracers of armor, +6 Wis, +5 natural, +5 Dex, +3 deflection, +2 honed mind, +1 insight, -1 size)
BAB +13; Grp +27
Attack +3 Large keen frost battleaxe +25 melee (2d6+13 + 1d6 cold, 19-20/x3) or Large composite longbow (+8 Str bonus) of distant wounding +18 ranged (1d10+8 and 1 Con, 19-20/x3) or Large bolas +17 ranged (1d6 subdual)
Full Attack +3 Large keen frost battleaxe +25/+20/+15 melee (2d6+13 + 1d6 cold, 19-20/x3) or Large composite longbow (+8 Str bonus) of distant wounding +17/+12/+7 ranged (1d10+8 and 1 Con, 19-20/x3) or Rapid Shot +16/+16/+11/+6 ranged (1d10+8 and 1 Con, 19-20/x3)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Ninjutsu, sniper, shadow rush, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Honed mind +2, always ready +3, trapfinding, improved evasion, improved uncanny dodge, evasive rush, improved muted presence, mute breath, hide in plain sight, uncanny movement, faint presence 5%, master uncanny dodge, darkvision 60 ft., low light vision, change shape, regeneration 5, spell resistance 19
Saves Fort +17 Ref +19 Will +19
Abilities Str 30, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 15, Wis 22, Cha 20
Skills Concentration +14, Disguise +18, Escape Artist +18, Gather Information +18, Hide +22, Listen +26, Move Silently +22, Open Lock +15, Spellcraft +10, Search +19, Spot +26, Tumble +17
Feats Dodge, Improved Critical (longbow), Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (invisibility), Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse (B), Weapon Focus (longbow)
Challenge Rating 17
Alignment Lawful evil

Dandag the Quiet is a master killer-for-hire.

In his true form, Dandag is a hulking brute, standing nine feet tall, with intelligent red eyes and teal-blue skin. He keeps a neat black goatee and soul patch and trims his hair short. His alternate forms vary, but usually include an efficient-looking dark haired human wielding a longsword.

Combat
Dandag rarely enters melee, preferring to snipe foes to death with rapid-fire barrages of wounding arrows. He is a master of stealth who employs his shadow rush to conceal himself before striking. His favorite tactic is to bring off a full attack, then go invisible and climb 5 ft up a nearby wall.

Class Features

Honed Mind (Ex) Dandag adds his Wis bonus to his armor class as long as he is unencumbered and wearing no armor. He loses this bonus if flat-footed. Dandag gets an additional +2 bonus to his AC.

Always Ready (Ex) Dandag is ever vigilant. He gains a +3 insight bonus to his initiative.

Trapfinding Dandag may use Search to locate traps when the DC is greater than 20. He may use Disable Device on magical traps. If Dandag beats a trap's Disable DC by 10 or more, he may bypass it without disarming it.

Improved Evasion (Ex) Dandag takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, and takes only half damage on a failed save. Dandag does not gain these benefits while helpless.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Dandag retains his Dexterity and Honed Mind bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses these bonuses to AC if immobilized. Dandag can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack Dandag by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than Dandag has ninja levels.

Evasive Rush (Ex) While charging or running, Dandag is treated as being Medium-size. This includes attack rolls made at the end of a charge, but does not include grappling, overrun or bull rush attempts made by the ninja. In short, Dandag gains all of the benefits of Medium size and none of the drawbacks.

Improved Muted Presence (Su) Casters trying to employ a 6th level or lower divination spell against Dandag must succeed on a caster level check (DC 24) or have the spell fail.

Mute Breath (Su) Dandag can speak silently to his allies and foes. Without so much as moving his lips, Dandag may employ a one-way message effect to any creature within 100 ft. This message is blocked only by airtight separation - lead, metal and magical silence will not stop the recipient from hearing the message, although a magical barrier around Dandag will stop the breath from escaping. Dandag may use this ability as long as he can breathe.

Sniper (Ex) Dandag gains a +14 bonus on Hide checks made to stay hidden after making a ranged attack from hiding, and may Hide as an immediate action. This allows him to strike, move and hide, or to make a full attack and hide.

Hide In Plain Sight (Ex) While in a crowd, in fog, snow, rain or anything less than bright illumination, Dandag may use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Uncanny Movement (Su) Dandag may spider climb at will without time limitation.

Faint Presence (Su) Dandag has a permanent 5% concealment, which stacks with effects such as blur and displacement, as well as with total concealment. This concealment does not count as concealment for the purposes of Hide checks.

Shadow Rush (Ex) While charging or running, Dandag is treated as being under the effect of a blur spell. This effect allows neither a saving throw nor spell resistance, and cannot be penetrated by see invisibility or even true seeing. A shadow rush negates the penalty to hide while attacking, running etc. The effect ends with Dandag's turn.

Master Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Three times per day, Dandag may add a +5 dodge bonus to either his AC or his Reflex saves for one round. He may declare this ability as a free action in response to an attack or effect, if he so chooses.

Regeneration (Ex) Dandag takes normal damage from fire and acid. He may reattach any severed body part by holding it to the stump for 1 minute. If a vital body part is severed, it must be reattached within 10 minutes or Dandag dies.

Flight (Su) Dandag can cease or resume flight as a free action. While using gaseous form he can fly at normal speed and has perfect maneuverability.

Change Shape (Su) Dandag can assume the form of any Small, Medium, or Large humanoid or giant.

Ninjutsu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5127011#post5127011) Void Element 1/1/1, Walk of Hours 1/1/1/1/1. Constant - steps of the lily, waltz of the moment. 3/day - art of twin time, ki emptiness, step ahead of time. 2/day - burning of the void, timelost plunge, void palm. Dandag's bonus jutsu was ki emptiness.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) At will - darkness, invisibility. 3/day - Quickened invisibility. 1/day - charm person (DC 16), cone of cold (DC 20), gaseous form, sleep (DC 16). Caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Equipment Dandag wears two gloves of storing. The one on his right hand stores his +3 Large keen frost battleaxe, while the one on the left stores his Large composite longbow (+8 Str bonus) of distant wounding. He wears a black sash wrapped around a black leather belt of giant strength +4, and has a periapt of Wisdom +4 on a silver chain around his neck. On his arms are bracers of armor +7, which Dandag normally wears hidden under his sleeves, and his ring of protection +3 is on his left ring finger. Soft black boots of teleportation are his footwear of choice, and he wears a handy haversack over his silky black cloak of resistance +3.

Dandag always keeps the following in his handy haversack:

• Immovable rod to suspend himself from or bar entry.
• 4-6 beads of force to trap spellcasters or pin down targets to be taken alive.
• A potion of water breathing
• A potion of heroism
• 2 potions of neutralize poison
• 2 potions of bear's endurance
• 2 potions of cat's grace
• 5 potions of cure serious wounds
• 4 Large bolas to take down mobile targets

Additionally, he keeps a crystal ball with detect thoughts at his center of operations, along with dust of tracelessness, his ninjutsu scrolls and a used manual of quickness of action +3.

Dandag the Quiet

A child of two ogres from an eastern land, Dandag watched his parents die in an unsuccessful attack on a human village while still quite young. Far from harbouring resentment, the young ogre mage kept the memory as an early lesson: you must be prepared.

Exalted from a young age amongst his peers for his status as an ogre mage, Dandag found himself disdainful of his fellows. He learned how to take on other forms, and used this ability to infiltrate human and elf villages, acquiring learning of the kind most ogres scorn. At night, Dandag would hunt food for himself, growing tall and wiry through hunting animals.

The coming of another ogre mage, who led the ogres in a successful assault on the human town, was the breaking point for Dandag, who realized that his kin were beneath him. Searching for greater power and peers more deserving, he attempted to join a wizard college. However, a mage with true seeing discovered him and he was forced to flee.

Eventually, Dandag discovered a monastery where lived three old but vigorous humans. Dandag observed their arts, took in their customs and at last asked to be taught by them. After three years of nonstop training, he had mastered the first steps of their teaching: the Walk of Hours. Dandag revealed himself to his teachers, who at last understood the drive for excellence that the ogre mage embodied.

The teachers offered Dandag the scrolls of their art, and to give him an introduction to the school of his choosing. The ogre mage thought hard, and realized that, for all his training, he was still not prepared. Not prepared to repulse those same mages that hat run him off. The power that he needed was the power of the Void.

The Villainous Turn

The school of the Void taught Dandag the jutsu he needed, but also taught him many other things - how to become unseen with great speed; how to strike to kill; why to strike to kill. They pressed Dandag to become colder, more brutal, uncaring as the Void. And so he did. Until one day, a rival revealed the ogre mage's nature to his teachers. Nonplussed, they decided that the opportunity had come to test their prized student. They demanded a fight to the death, in exchange for the scrolls of the Void Element and a sorcerous tome of graceful motion.

Dandag accepted this, his first kill of a thinking being, not out of hatred, but out of pragmatic assessment of his needs. His teachers fulfilled their promise, and directed him to a thieves' guild, where Dandag rose to become a powerful enforcer.

Unfortunately, his dark skills, monstrous heritage and understanding of this new crowd caused him to isolate himself, taking jobs only for the profit, not for the good of the guild. He left soon after, to organize a powerful assassins' clique, Silent Slayers. Through contacts with wizards and the underworld, he has amassed a network of people, charmed or otherwise, who supply him with deadly weapons, vile poisons and contracts.

Dandag lives well on his profits and reputation, as few can discover him and fewer still live to tell about doing so. When taking personal contracts, Dandag gives it his all, demonstrating his excellence simply to show future employers that he is worth every single gold piece.

Encounters

Dandag will usually abstain from a contract himself, unless the target is a mage or the employer wants him specifically. He normally dispatches other agents to do the job, sometimes no more than a charmed waitress with a poisoned cup, if he feels it that simple. He will never go back on a contract, and never accept a job against a previous employer, though he has no scruples about one of his own agents moonlighting to do the deed.

Dandag will not converse in battle. Those who would fight him will find that the ogre mage is already aware of their plans, having employed his crystal ball against them. He may be hiding on the ceiling, or suspended above a window on his immovable wand. He may be four hundred feet away, ready to riddle his target with five lethal arrows and hide again. Or he may be right next to his target, invisible, impossible to strike.

Those who meet the (disguised) ogre mage in a social setting (he enjoys partaking in events at court, concerts and vintner's festivals) find Dandag to be charming, affable and intelligent. Dandag has no love for pretenders, sycophants or the excessively arrogant. He is often (in a preferred guise) considered a pleasant, prominent member of society. He obeys all social rules, upholds the law and is a model citizen.

That said, Dandag is about Dandag. He is self-centered and cares nothing for the consequences of his kills. He has been known to exploit social loopholes to get his way at others' expense.

Plot Hooks

•A mage has seen a monster in town and now fears for his life, as nobody else will believe him. Sure enough, three assassins have already fallen to his protections. The fourth may well succeed.

•A local well-to-do has been cited by a zealous paladin as the contact point for a series of contract killings.

•The thieves' guild of a major city is taking over the streets, as constables are assassinated left and right and the remaining police force is too afraid to go out on the streets. Word has it that a rival nation financed an expert killer to destroy the city government, but divinations have revealed nothing.

•The brother of a powerful wizard, himself a prince, has been killed, and the wizard's divinations are failing to discover the one responsible.

•The party has been targeted by a foe who has contracted the assassin known as Dandag the Quiet. Though his agents have been found, Dandag himself seems to be just a ghost story.

•The queen is concerned about the prominence of the new courtier,who seems to have too much pull with her son, husband and (alarmingly) daughter. Her attempts to have him followed have failed, and the wizards she has contacted have been unable to divine anything. She now fears some terrible sorcerer has taken control of her realm.

---

The Ninja base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94207)

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 07:43 PM
Whole stat block, not just buffs.

It'll take me a bit to retool my wizard. Since there is no FMI, I'm not gonna stay Grey Elf. That was kind of an experiment to determine if MR UBER SAVE DC was actually worth it vs a less save oriented character.

I'm sad I never got to use Empowered Split Ray Enervation, or throw 4 points of Spin into a Freezing Fog to make the DC 29, no SR.

HOW THE FARK DID YOU GET ALL OF THOSE BUFFS THEN!!!! WTF?

RAWR!

j/k

Mind if I use a Magical Location (Frog God's Fane) it'll come out of my WBL...I just don't want to spend a feat on Skill Focus: Knowledge Religion....

Also, do I get to recoup the Leadership feat on my cleric then? Spend it on something else? And it doesn't matter that she only had 2 buffs, I wanted her primarily for the Aura, which she provided well enough.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 08:19 PM
He's up there. I just didn't want to spend the time adding the buffs on all across the board.

Switch Leadership, yes. Magical Location? Where do I find it to make a verdict?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 08:23 PM
The only 2 books with them are Complete Mage and Complete Scoundrel. You show up, spend some time and cash, and walk away with a minor feat. This one grants a SF: Knowledge feat for 3000g.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 08:25 PM
If that's all it does, then by all means, have at it.

How do you like Dandag, by the way?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 08:32 PM
He's good. Still don't get where the crazy semi-real bow came from, how he had permanent SU fly, or how he got all of those crazy buffs at CL20.

And picking spells for an 11th level FS Conjourer is taking forever, especially without access to the PHB.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 08:35 PM
The bow was in his glove of storing. Since it applies a transmutation effect to the stored item, true seeing reveals it full-sized in the palm of his hand.

As an ogre mage, he automatically has permanent Su flight.

As the exorbitantly wealthy head of an assassin's guild, he was able to buy the buffs from guildmates, etc.

Can you access d20srd? Crystalkeep?

Eldariel
2009-01-17, 08:41 PM
I was really surprised you didn't just teleport next to him and activate an AMF for one character, while charging him from outside the AMF with another. That seemed like the simpliest route of action when the opponent is so clearly magical and yet you're unaware of what exact effects are in play. Of course, if you didn't have a scroll of AMF (then shame on you) or AMF prepared, that's not doable. Other would've been a Scroll of Disjunction. Or Orbs of Force.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 08:48 PM
*shrug* Wouldn't have helped. He'd have taken no real damage without the flames. Next round would've been move outside the field and teleport away.

As for disjunction, Void Palm can null it. Every use of that is precious, though. I had to use one of my sparing two per day to stop that greater dispel from breaking my defenses.

Other than that tactical no-go, thoughts?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 08:58 PM
Yea, shame on me. Doh. Getting one on my new caster, so look out world!

EDIT:
And no, at work, I don't have access to Crystalkeep or d20srd. Stupid Websense software blocks it, and the wizards website. Only when I'm home in the evenings do I get to it.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 09:00 PM
Not to mention, "currently invisible" does hardly highly magical make. After the first couple of rounds, yes it would have been more viable, but not to cut him off in the air, for example.

I'll have to remember that true seeing getting jiggered by gloves of storing bit. Now that was fun.

Eldariel
2009-01-17, 09:04 PM
*shrug* Wouldn't have helped. He'd have taken no real damage without the flames. Next round would've been move outside the field and teleport away.

The attacker is outside the AMF so he'd be fine. Also, unless I'm missing something, taking his HP in nonlethal would still knock him unconscious.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 09:18 PM
10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you

The caster is within the emanation by virtue of its creation. And magic that enters the antimagic field fails. If Dandag is within the field, then weapons striking him must also enter the field.

And yes, taking down his hp with nonlethal damage will drive him unconscious.

But again, frankly, if you're going to seriously consider disjunction in the first round as a tactic against a magic item-loaded adversary, then you have no business playing D&D. :smalltongue:

Keld: I have chosen your adversaries. This one could be a hell of a battle. There will be bleeding. Your party will be miserable and wounded.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 09:22 PM
Disjunction usually falls under the gentleman's agreement whenever I play. DMs don't use it, and I won't use it. Same thing with tricked out Holy Words. Nobody likes an irresistable IWIN button...

Eldariel
2009-01-17, 09:25 PM
Not first round. But round 4-5 when it's clear that things aren't getting done otherwise (like in this fight)... Same with an AMF; it's a tactic for when others don't work. Hence the scrolls rather than prepared slots.

And as long as a part of the weapon is outside the AMF square, it retains its magical qualities so it should work just fine. That's how it works with larger creatures too, after all; they're only affected if all their squares are covered by the AMF.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 09:25 PM
Ah; now holy word would work on him. It's a spread, so it can't be stopped by Void Palm.

Edit: Eldariel, I concur that it would have been a decent plan at that point, except that he was flying. My point was that to deliver AMF against him, someone would have to take a plunge.

What I had hoped was to use timelost plunge against Liam when he was carrying the two casters, pushing him outside of time and dropping them to the ground. Would have been hilarious.

Via RAW that's likely accurate; however, I picture a flaming sword descending into the AMF bubble and I don't see its fire sticking around. I could understand if the enhancement bonus remained, but special abilities should be nulled because they're a function of the striking portion. Similarly, if a dragon's head was inside AMF but the rest of it was outside, I'd still rule that its breath would fail.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 09:45 PM
BEHOLD! (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103401)

A CASTER INFINITELY MORE ANNOYING THAN ISSENDIR!

Thou haste brought this upon yourself!

PS, I'm off to dinner. Provided my internet isn't craptactular, we'll play tonight. Otherwise, tomorrow morning, its on like DONKEY KONG!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 09:51 PM
You'll need to allow me to view it.

And I'm not worried about your pathetic rebel band. I have... terrible news for you. :belkar:

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 09:56 PM
Oh goodie? FEAR MY MELFS UNICORN ARROWS!!!! RAWR!!!!

Should be public now. Linky (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103401) if the old one doesn't work.

Also, my Bardblade performs a little lacklustery...I probably should have gone Bard8/Mindbender1/Virt1/Sublime Chord1 instead. Oh well.

Eldariel
2009-01-17, 09:58 PM
AMF is dismissable so you could cast AMF, then drop with the damn thing (just time the attack so that it's coterminous with the activation of the AMF; the way D&D handles movement is of course a bit silly so it'd be up there whole turn for the team to beat up before it gets its turn and starts falling). But yea, having a Scroll of AMF is always a fine plan (even better if you have a plan of how to use it), since it's a pretty solid "catch all"-effect, and indeed the only one that works for some opponents.

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 10:01 PM
Final question, Keld:

Surprise opponents again, or shall I hand you the dossier?

Does the thrill of the unknown again tempt you?

EDIT: Melf's Unicorn Arrow? Where is that from?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 10:05 PM
Does the thrill of the unknown again tempt you?

OMG YES! I NEED MY FIX! GIVE IT TO ME! GIVE IT TO ME! I'M JONEZIN FOR IT!!!

/shakes uncontrollably

Is this the single CR17? Or an EL17 comprised of multiple foes?

EDIT: its in PHBII. Force spell, does minor damage, but it BULLRUSHES A MOFO! I'M IN YOUR GRILLZ, PUSHIN YOU AROUND!

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 10:07 PM
You asked for multiple, so it's going to be multiple. So very multiple...

Why are they not putting those in the SC? Tremendously tedious, searching other books for them.

Oh well. I think it'll be an interesting battle.

Let me know when you're ready.

I'm going to try using a monitored coordinate grid this time; I won't keep posting it, because one of the adversaries will be bulky, but I'll have a visual reference to answer from.

EDIT: Now I'm curious; why didn't you take the feat to use sonic damage with Dragonfire Inspiration instead of fire damage?

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 10:54 PM
EDIT: Now I'm curious; why didn't you take the feat to use sonic damage with Dragonfire Inspiration instead of fire damage?

Because if you look really closely at the feat, Draconic Heritage, it requires an 11 cha, and 1 FREAKIN LEVEL OF SORCERERERERERERERERERERERER!!!! Lameo if you ask me. The only other way to get it is the 1/2 dragon template, which is even worse.

Anyway, I'm home, and my internetz are lookin pretty stable. Go ahead and lay it on me! And number both axises of the combat.

Is this gonna be a 3D battle as well? I'd rather it not be...the last one was hella confusing...

And if you could lable both axes, that would make it a lot easier to move and to target spells. This guy uses a lot of AoEs with longer than instantaneous durations...It can be a little....trying at times...

afroakuma
2009-01-17, 10:58 PM
As I said, I'll do up the initial grid, but I won't be updating it on the forum end unless it becomes truly necessary - one of the enemies is big, which is always irritating.

However, I don't think any of them fly, so...

Here we go!