PDA

View Full Version : Name of this hairstyle...

13_CBS
2009-01-16, 09:02 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/human_al/pic/00008176

Doing a bit of research for something I'm writing.

What is the exact name of this hairstyle? It's not in a pigtails style is it?

Cubey
2009-01-16, 09:06 PM
Ah, Tohsaka Rin from Fate/Stay Night!

Yes, it's pigtails. Anime maniacs (like me) often use the term twintails, shamelessly stolen from Lucky Star.

Thes Hunter
2009-01-16, 09:10 PM
Mullet. :smallbiggrin:

Cubey
2009-01-16, 09:11 PM
No, this (http://srwog.velv.net/char_images/irm.png) is a mullet. Of epic proportions.

13_CBS
2009-01-16, 09:22 PM
No, this (http://srwog.velv.net/char_images/irm.png) is a mullet. Of epic proportions.

THIS MULLET OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER!

(So they ARE pigtails? Hrm, I alright then.)

Canadian
2009-01-16, 09:25 PM
Pacific Mall? I don't know what it's called but every girl at Pacific Mall has hair something like that.

amuletts
2009-01-16, 11:27 PM
Errrm... looks like pigtails to me...

Flame of Anor
2009-01-16, 11:49 PM
Bulbous bouffant!

Blubber..............Gazebo
.........macadamia!.........mukluks!!!

TUBERCULOSIS!

thubby
2009-01-16, 11:50 PM
really long pigtails.

Susil
2009-01-18, 08:13 AM
Actually pigtails are when the hair is in two plaits (braids, for you North Americans), I'd tend to call that "bunches". Just, really long ones....

dish
2009-01-18, 09:38 AM
Another Brit agreeing that we would call this hairstyle 'bunches'.

UserClone
2009-01-18, 09:47 AM
That would be braided pigtails.

What you have is still pigtails.

hamishspence
2009-01-18, 09:58 AM
on guys, its usually "a pigtail" and usually not braided.

so, in that sense, they are pigtails, & they are bunches.

Dr. Bath
2009-01-18, 10:16 AM
Mullet. :smallbiggrin:

Dammit... stop stealing my brain, Thes. I was thinking precisely that as I clicked on the link. 'Whatever it is, it's a mullet' Get outta my head!

@hamishspence: I don't think I've ever seen a guy with two bunches. You normally only get ponytails (a single bunch/whatever)

I'd say that if this was for a book/short story, 'pigtails' would probably be better understood than bunches, even though bunches is a slightly more accurate term, at least it is as I've known it.

hamishspence
2009-01-18, 10:18 AM
the sci-fi character Kal Jerico, from Warhammer 40000 comics, has two thin braids, but they are at the front.

wxdruid
2009-01-19, 06:29 AM
I call them ponytails.

Starshade
2009-01-19, 07:48 AM
Two ponytails? Exept anime ive not really seen girls use twin ponytails in that way. If the girl on the anime pic had the hair curled up before flowing down, id call it Odango, and the pic had me first thinking about Odango, but, a fast google of the anime girl since ive not seen the anime, showed the hair flows down without any curling into buns on top.

So: ponytails.

Castaras
2009-01-19, 12:10 PM
Pigtails = two plaits.

Bunchies = what you have there.

[/brit]

FdL
2009-01-19, 12:56 PM
Heh, that was really brit :p

Well, I expect there to be as many pigtail styles as people. Even if just judging from anime! I don't think there's a name for each, nor for this particular style.

It's twin pigtails, and other things to note is their position in her head, that they are pretty high and to the sides, that they are long, and that she uses a bow in each.

I really didn't get why the OP needs to have a name for it. When something doesn't have a proper name, which encodes a set of qualities that is shared among users of the term, the best next thing to do is to just describe it accurately as possible.

In any case, as Castaras and other have proved, sometimes even the use of a name for something does not grant users are referring to the same thing.

Linkavitch
2009-01-20, 06:27 PM
If you don't like a hairstyle, call it a beehive and it will be instantly out-of-date.

13_CBS
2009-01-20, 06:40 PM
Well, the problem is this:

The pictured character, who is a stern high-school mage of considerable skill from a Japanese franchise known as Fate/Stay Night, will be "reincarnated" as Queen Guinevere in my story (yes, THAT Guinevere, queen of Arthur). I'd like to keep the hair style, since in my mind those distinctive bunches are very closely associated with the character, but calling it "pigtails" seems rather...informal for someone such as the queen of Britain.

Hrm...

Flame of Anor
2009-01-20, 11:49 PM
Yes, and that is a completely formal and regal miniskirt, I'm sure.

13_CBS
2009-01-21, 12:05 AM
Which shall be replaced with an elegant dress :smalltongue:

Cubey
2009-01-21, 04:31 AM
Yes, and that is a completely formal and regal miniskirt, I'm sure.

It's Tohsaka Rin. Of course it is.

This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZettaiRyouiki) may be of interest.

FdL
2009-01-21, 01:18 PM
Well, the problem is this:

The pictured character, who is a stern high-school mage of considerable skill from a Japanese franchise known as Fate/Stay Night, will be "reincarnated" as Queen Guinevere in my story (yes, THAT Guinevere, queen of Arthur). I'd like to keep the hair style, since in my mind those distinctive bunches are very closely associated with the character, but calling it "pigtails" seems rather...informal for someone such as the queen of Britain.

Hrm...

I see. The thing is I don't think you can have the queen of Britain in pigtails. Just think of another equally symmetrical hairstyle.