PDA

View Full Version : Saved by Frenzied Berserker PC attacking allies

Dyllan
2009-01-17, 01:07 AM
Alright, everyone says the frenzied berserker's drawback, that he will attack party members until his frenzy ends, makes it nigh unplayable. Tonight, that drawback saved our party.

We were going after a red dragon, and it got the jump on us after we killed it's child.

Well, it hit us all with the breath weapon... and everyone but the rogue/sorcerer (only 1 level of base rogue, no evasion) failed the save. Cleric was severely hurt, the wizard (me) was at -7, and the frenzied beserker was in bad shape too (he has a weakness to fire - orcish draconic heritage variant). Well, the fight was taking place with persistant fly on all the party members, at the edge of a lava pool. The Beserker went into melee, above the pool.

The dragon wanted his equipment (minor artifact sword especially), so he didn't want to drop the guy in lava. So he tried charm person... which the FB failed.

Now our Beserker considers the dragon his friend... oh, no enemies in the room, so he attacks the nearest creature - the dragon. Had it been a normal charm, there is no doubt that the dragon would've killed the cleric, and in short order finished off the rest of us. The Beserker was doing the majority of the damage, with the cleric healing him.

So see, the Frenzied beserker isn't all bad... it saved our party...

Of course, he DID kill the cleric after the battle ended, before I could throw a Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere around him.

-Dyllan

SadisticFishing
2009-01-17, 01:12 AM
Haha, awesome. That was actually (surprisingly) worth reading.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-17, 01:14 AM
See, had I been the DM and the cleric started healing him, i'd have flipped a coin.

Though the title is a bit of a misnomer, its still attacking an enemy, its just by merit of the text he gets to attack anything in the area, even if he is charmed.

Samakain
2009-01-17, 02:03 AM
We were going after a red dragon, and it got the jump on us after we killed it's child.
-Dyllan

Adventures! courageously kicking the crap out of babies for the past 50 years!

Then you killed the mother, and if your worth half your cheese, took all their stuff.

Then you left the bloody evidence of your work rot in the hot sulfuric air of a volcano.

and somehow, this makes you "Heros"

lol

Love me my D&D.

As for your story, quality, who needs will saves or SR when you have murderous bloody rage? would have love to seen the smug slide off the dragons face ^^

SadisticFishing
2009-01-17, 02:16 AM
Adventures! courageously kicking the crap out of babies for the past 50 years!

Then you killed the mother, and if your worth half your cheese, took all their stuff.

Then you left the bloody evidence of your work rot in the hot sulfuric air of a volcano.

and somehow, this makes you "Heros"

lol

Love me my D&D.

As for your story, quality, who needs will saves or SR when you have murderous bloody rage? would have love to seen the smug slide off the dragons face ^^

Pshah, it was RED.

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 02:25 AM
Well, technically, after the dragon hits the FB the first time, the spell ends.

From Charm Person

Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the charmed person breaks the spell.

So, Dragon charms FB, FB is still frenzied, attacks nearest anyone, who happens to be the dragon. Dragon gets pissed at FB and attacks back. Charm Person is broken, and FB is no longer obligated to "help" the dragon and is free to choose whoever he wants to attack, so long as he attacks SOMEONE. FB is not like Confusion, where you roll each turn to determine what you do or don't do. You can still prefer enemies to allies, you just can't stop attacking.

Dyllan
2009-01-17, 08:43 AM
See, had I been the DM and the cleric started healing him, i'd have flipped a coin.

Though the title is a bit of a misnomer, its still attacking an enemy, its just by merit of the text he gets to attack anything in the area, even if he is charmed.

Well, actually the cleric did start healing him, and the DM asked "even or odd" and rolled a die to determine who the FB had to attack... then the dragon attacked the FB, breaking the spell.

That dragon was quite confused. He was SURE the FB didn't resist the spell...

And the FB's logic on killing the Dragon while charmed, and then killing the Cleric after the dragon fell was great.

"The dragon cast some spell, and made me think he was my friend. But, I knew we were here to kill a dragon... so I figured I must need to kill my friends."

The amazing thing is, it looks like the cleric (who was true ressed thanks to an excellent loot table scroll roll, and a lucky caster level check from the head of his order) is actually going to forgive the FB for killing him. Crazy clerics and their forgiveness... As it was, I had the FB in a Resiliant Sphere, above the lava, and was ready to dispel magic on his persistent fly as soon as it dropped until he, and our rogue/sorceress talked me out of it.

Edit: Fixed typo

Eldariel
2009-01-17, 11:32 AM
This. Was. Just. Awesome.

monty
2009-01-17, 02:03 PM
Pshah, it was RED.

Color-coded for your convenience!