PDA

View Full Version : Awww

Boo
2009-01-17, 05:32 AM
What is the first thing you think when you see this video? During? After? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_a98AySNk)

Elm11
2009-01-17, 05:46 AM
Oh my god.

That is beyond cute, that really is touching there. I really am without words after seeing that. Thanks so much for sharing this.

T-O-E
2009-01-17, 05:49 AM
:smallbiggrin: I think my heart is over-heating.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-17, 05:55 AM
And Rettu's heart grew two sizes that day...

Athaniar
2009-01-17, 02:26 PM
Before: Whatever it is, it's probably overestimated.
At the Beginning: A nature video?
During: Aww, the elephant and the dog are friends.
A Bit Later: Awwww, the elephant really cares for that dog, even when it's not well.
After: That was heartwarming.

So, beast friends forever?

TRM
2009-01-17, 02:46 PM
Before: meh. I don't really want to watch a video.
During: That buildup took too long. Squee! I'm in love with the female co-founder's hat! Awwww... The elephant is petting the dog's belly! OMG CUTE!
After: Time to post in the thread...

Fredthefighter
2009-01-17, 02:49 PM
Before: I wanted to check it out
After: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Recaiden
2009-01-17, 02:52 PM
Before:a vvideo?:smallsigh:
During::smallconfused:, Awww
After::smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-17, 02:53 PM
Before:
Oh, crap.
Also, I'm going to have to pause my music.

Begining:
Okay, maybe this isn't as mind-nauseatingly cute or utter bollocks as I thought it was going to be.

Middle:
Wait, why am I smiling and giggling? Why? My reputation would ebr unined if anyone else was here.

End:
Hey, that whoe 'vigil' thing is knid of cool.

After:
:smallsmile:

Curse you, Blue_Umbrella.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-17, 03:54 PM
Before: :smallconfused:
During: :smallsmile:
After: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
SOOOOO CUTE!

Jibar
2009-01-17, 04:10 PM
I was all Awwwww as well.
Then my mum pointed out elephants live longer than dogs and she was going to be heartbroken.
Thanks mum. Thanks for that super downer. :smallfrown:

RTGoodman
2009-01-17, 04:11 PM
Aww... the even melted my cold, stony, ice-heart a little bit... :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-01-17, 04:12 PM
Then my mum pointed out elephants live longer than dogs and she was going to be heartbroken.

I can feel a small tear well up in my eye because of that (The Elephants live longer than dogs thing I mean).

Rutskarn
2009-01-17, 04:12 PM
Before: Cynical blogwriter.

During: Awww.

After: Cynical blogwriter who'd just seen something really cute.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-17, 04:15 PM

ITs... um....
An... old elephant?
/feebleattempttocheerpeopleup

Seffbasilisk
2009-01-17, 04:34 PM
Before: I'm going to have to pause my music.

Begining: Slow news day?

Middle: Sad elephant, no elephant friends.

End: Why was everyone so worked up? And the answer is, because we're not elephants. Or dogs.

Syka
2009-01-17, 04:39 PM
Maybe I've seen too many of these odd-animal-friends videos, but all I kept thinking was the music was funny.

Although it was sweet of the elephant to be waiting until the dog got better.

Mparrell91
2009-01-17, 04:53 PM
lol. olwnfqwfgqwefqefwefwefqwefv

Mparrell91
2009-01-17, 04:56 PM
qweqweqweqweqeqweqweqweqweqweqweqweq

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-17, 05:52 PM
Before: So, what's all this fuss about?
During: So, what's all this fuss about?
After: So, what's all this fuss about?

(Serious question, guys. I honestly can't tell. I didn't find it even slightly cute.)

FoE
2009-01-17, 05:57 PM
*Vomits uncontrollably*

The story itself is kind of sweet, but the music is gut-wrenching and that narration is horrible. The whole thing tastes like diabetes.

Oh god, now I'm vomiting things I haven't even eaten yet.

TRM
2009-01-17, 06:15 PM
I thought of that too.

(Serious question, guys. I honestly can't tell. I didn't find it even slightly cute.)
The elephant and the dog are friends. The elephant is several stories taller than the dog. The dog gambols joyfully about the lumbering elephant. When said dog falls ill, the elephant devotedly stands vigil over the injured canine. In the final scene, the pair cuddles—despite the several ton difference in their weights and several mile separation in their heights.

Collin152
2009-01-17, 06:30 PM
Bah. Turns out humans are neither unique nor special; animals can form interspecies bonds just as easily. The only differance is that our pets are subject to our feelings of superiority because of our greater cognitive ability.
Course, the animals became friends because the humans cared for their more primal needs, allowing them to move up on the scale of sophistication...

The video was sweet, but still made me cynical towards humanity somehow.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-17, 06:50 PM
The elephant and the dog are friends. The elephant is several stories taller than the dog. The dog gambols joyfully about the lumbering elephant. When said dog falls ill, the elephant devotedly stands vigil over the injured canine. In the final scene, the pair cuddles—despite the several ton difference in their weights and several mile separation in their heights.

I got all that from the video. Still not feeling anything. Maybe because it's a dog. I've never liked dogs.

Player_Zero
2009-01-17, 07:04 PM
Bah. Humbug.

They should decrease the surplus population.

Collin152
2009-01-17, 07:10 PM
Bah. Humbug.

They should decrease the surplus population.

With fire; fire is the solution to all life. (And its problems.)

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-17, 07:17 PM
Meh. This isn't unprecedented.

Elephants are known to be pretty intelligent and very socially complex to boot. They've been known to protect humans from harm, will bury their dead and even visit the graves of their dead.

So an elephant befriending a dog when you've put enough of them together is really just an inevitability.

Kneenibble
2009-01-17, 08:02 PM
Bah. Turns out humans are neither unique nor special; animals can form interspecies bonds just as easily. The only differance is that our pets are subject to our feelings of superiority because of our greater cognitive ability.
Course, the animals became friends because the humans cared for their more primal needs, allowing them to move up on the scale of sophistication...

The video was sweet, but still made me cynical towards humanity somehow.

Our pets are subject to our superior capabilities -- cognitive & physical, and all the resources and potencies proceeding thence, yes? And not our feelings at all? Then again, there is the element of friendship which is not at all precluded by subjection. Animal interspecies bonds are about friendship far less often than those involving humans, as opposed to practical, even parasitic symbiosis.

Whence cynicism, sir? Whence?

Collin152
2009-01-17, 08:24 PM
Our pets are subject to our superior capabilities -- cognitive & physical, and all the resources and potencies proceeding thence, yes? And not our feelings at all? Then again, there is the element of friendship which is not at all precluded by subjection. Animal interspecies bonds are about friendship far less often than those involving humans, as opposed to practical, even parasitic symbiosis.

Whence cynicism, sir? Whence?

Oh, by all means, there is friendship- however, the relationship is decidedly unequal, because we put the pets on a lower level than us, usually.

Again, I did theorize that animal interspecies bonds may be formed by friendship ties rather than symbiosis entirely through human provision for what the animals would have otherwise had to work for.

Dr. Bath
2009-01-17, 08:53 PM

Related story time: My friend wanted a rabbit, but heard they pine if left alone for any moderate length of time. Interesting thing, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits get along famously, forming quite strong friendships. So my friend who wanted a rabbit also got a Guinea Pig to keep it company. Sadly, Guinea pigs have quite considerably shorter lifespans that this particular breed of rabbit, so eventually the guinea pig died and the rabbit was left alone. It missed the guinea pig so much that it died within a month of its friend's death. :smallfrown:

Kneenibble
2009-01-17, 08:54 PM
Aren't the pets on a lower level?
I get that, but I don't understand what makes you cynical towards humanity. It seems like it should make you more cynical to the rest of the animal kingdom if anything.

Collin152
2009-01-17, 09:07 PM
Aren't the pets on a lower level?
I get that, but I don't understand what makes you cynical towards humanity. It seems like it should make you more cynical to the rest of the animal kingdom if anything.

They're on a lower level because we put them there. Now, if the human-pet relationship was the only interspecies friendship derived relationship, this is closer to justified. But here we have a clear example of an equal footing friendship between two species, leaving our only justification for putting dowen the animals our own feelings of superiority, and nothing innate.

Kneenibble
2009-01-17, 09:21 PM
And yet in your own speculation, you attribute the cause for a level friendship between animals that is not based on practical symbiosis to human intervention.

As for the matter of superiority, I'm having a hard time taking you seriously. A PC term, then? Pets are "less able" than their human friends? :smallconfused:

Collin152
2009-01-17, 09:38 PM
And yet in your own speculation, you attribute the cause for a level friendship between animals that is not based on practical symbiosis to human intervention.

As for the matter of superiority, I'm having a hard time taking you seriously. A PC term, then? Pets are "less able" than their human friends? :smallconfused:

Wait-honestly? You're trying to take me seriously? Me?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-18, 02:39 PM
...D'awww.
Thankies, Boo <3

I'm such a sucker for things like this >.<

Devils_Advocate
2009-01-20, 03:01 AM
So, an elephant and a dog became friends, even though most of the elephants and dogs there don't do that.

So, animals are capable of forming friendships outside their species, and different animals of the same species have different personalities, and animals are capable of a lot of the same basic sorts of emotions, social bonds, and behaviors that humans engage in.

Sorta already knew all that.

Humans live considerably longer than dogs as well.

Getting a child a pet doesn't just provide a fun new animal friend. It also provides important lessons about responsibility, and demonstrates through example the basic principle that everyone you love will eventually die. :smallsmile:

It's harder to illustrate through example, of course, but you're rather likely to die eventually too. Yes, lifespans are finite instead of infinite! Fascinating, but not actually anything that you need to get terribly worked up about. It's simply wise to plan for certain eventualities.

("Now" is relative. What was/is/will be was/is/will be. The only variable is your perspective. Being chronologically situated after someone's death doesn't make that person's life any less real in an absolute sense, just more prior. The individual in question was simply mortal. So it goes.)

ITs... um....
An... old elephant?
Well, for all we know, it is.

End: Why was everyone so worked up? And the answer is, because we're not elephants. Or dogs.
Seems like it. People don't seem to make as big a deal out of transspecies friendships involving humans, for some reason.

Humans who aren't cared for by humans probably have less opportunity to be sociable, too.

Oh, by all means, there is friendship- however, the relationship is decidedly unequal, because we put the pets on a lower level than us, usually.
Well, I don't see anything inherently wrong with unequal relationships. (Do you?)

You has a flavor. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_UYBcnmJ4&feature=related)