PDA

View Full Version : [ToB] No love for throwing?

asphen fox
2009-01-17, 07:56 AM
I'm hoping that someone good at homebrewing stuff would read this request... I'm one of those few players who's into the throwing build so can someone please homebrew a ToB Discipline meant especially for throwing?
Thanksies to whoever helps. :smallsmile:

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-17, 07:58 AM
I'll give it a go in my free time. I like the ToB manner of doing things, to an extent, and throwing was on my "to do" list for home brewing anyway.

Satyr
2009-01-17, 08:00 AM
What's wrong with the Bloodstorm Blade? It is a whole prestige class built around the concept of throwing things on other people, right there in the Tome of Battle.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-17, 10:25 AM
Fluff purposes? A desire to have comparable perks sans the class limitations? Heck, what if you hate multi-classing? :smallsmile:

A style that allows for ninja/peltast/aboriginal fun without the fuss of excess mechanics sounds like a bloody good idea to me.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-17, 12:33 PM
To be honest, this can be accomplished far better with currently existing PrC's. Master Thrower is probably what you are looking for. Lets you do ranged touch attacks, make opponents flat-footed, toss a BUNCH of stuff...

The definition of a Prestige Class is someone who focuses on a certain aspect, at the cost of normal training. This sounds like what you are trying to do. It can be done with rules at hand.

Really, creating an entire discipline is extremely difficult, and probably not worth it for what you want to do, which is, if I'm not mistaken, to use you maneuvers (sounds like a blend of Shadow Hand and Diamond Mind with a splash of Setting Sun) with thrown attacks, but you don't like Bloodstorm Blade.

If you like, I could come up with a ToB'ish Swordsage-friendly throwing-based PrC. Shouldn't be too hard, and entirely in flavor with what it seems to me that it will do what you want it to.

asphen fox
2009-01-18, 07:17 AM
The problem with the master thrower prc is that it requires a 5 in bab before entrance... so yeah... it kinda sucks if you're a rogue (and I doubt any other class would want that prc as much). ToB Disciplines gives you easier time with the fighting style. I mean, with the 1st level of Master Thrower, you only get one skill trick. in 5 levels? 3 skill tricks.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-18, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking that the master thrower and bloodstorm blade need traits snatched from them in this homebrew. The former because the is too long a wait for too little payoff, and the latter because it's too exclusive.

The Demented One
2009-01-18, 05:08 PM
Handwave and reflavor Fax Celestis's Falling Star discipline to work with thrown weapons. Voila.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-19, 12:32 AM
Have a link to it? I've lost mine.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-19, 12:35 AM
Firefox has this neat ability, select some text ... right click ... search ...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10707

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-19, 01:23 AM
Sarcasm aside, thanks.

Zeful
2009-01-19, 01:50 AM
The definition of a Prestige Class is someone who focuses on a certain aspect, at the cost of normal training. This sounds like what you are trying to do. It can be done with rules at hand.

If only that were true. There would be much less work for the CharOp boards of the internet.

Stycotl
2009-01-19, 06:05 PM
ah, another discipline won't hurt anyone.

and for your other needs, when you really want to use a diamond mind maneuver with your thrown weapon, try my Sublime Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4435054#post4435054) feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-19, 06:21 PM
If only that were true. There would be much less work for the CharOp boards of the internet.

Pardon, I probably should have said "This is what PrC's were originally designed with in mind. It's not CharOp's fault that writers of splatbooks forgot this...

How about this, to solve most problems:

Style Flexibility
Prerequisite: Proficiency in any thrown weapon, At least one maneuver known, BAB +1

Benefit: You may initiate any maneuver that requires a melee attack as part of the maneuver with a thrown weapon.

Normal: You may only deliver maneuvers with melee attacks.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-01-20, 02:47 AM
I was considering such things as a level 1 stance that provides force damage thrown weapons with an enhancement bonus of +1/4 martial adept levels.

Stycotl
2009-01-20, 03:46 PM
i think that a throwing-specific discipline would be a challenge to come up with, but could be really cool.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-20, 10:04 PM
I was considering such things as a level 1 stance that provides force damage thrown weapons with an enhancement bonus of +1/4 martial adept levels.

Overpowered. Horridly overpowered for a 1st level stance. As a maneuver, perhaps. As a force effect, you effectively give all your attacks Ghost Touch, as it negates the 50% miss chance, the extra damage is just gravy.

If you're wanting to do an entire discipline devoted to ranged attacks, it needs to have something that the other disciplines cannot already do, but at the same time, not be so over powered as to make the other disciplines obsolete.

I would suggest focusing on the ranged aspect. After all, if you just want to add damage, you can dip into Shadow Hand, Desert Wind, Diamond mind, or Iron Heart.

Stances would probably include increasing your range increment, increasing accuracy with thrown weapons, increasing the range at which precision-based damage can apply, and so forth.

asphen fox
2009-01-22, 07:24 AM
Maybe you can base some maneuvers on the throwing tricks the Master Thrower can do. Just a trying to help. :D