PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasters and being swallowed

Epinephrine
2009-01-17, 02:43 PM
So, last night my (non-wildshape/non-shapeshift) druid was swallowed by a fiendish behir. I was luckily rescued shortly afterward, as we had already dealt a good 150 or so damage to the thing, but it was maddeningly frustrating.

How does a caster deal with this? Being fiendish, it had DR/Magic, and I don't have a light slashing weapon that is magical. At 1d4+2 damage, I would never fight my way out. I have anklets of translocation, which can get me out of a grapple, but once swallowed I can't use them as I don't have LoS to anywhere. All my spells have somatic components pretty much, and I can't afford to always be buffed with Freedom of Movement or always have it prepared, not to that mention wasting a round of combat buffing with Freedom of Movement is less effective than so many other things one can do - after all, normally if grappled I can break it with the anklets and get away from the would-be grappler.

How do casters deal with this? The improved grab/grapple/swallow is hard to avoid - I had a solid AC (34? Figured I'd be pretty safe), but since it rolled a hit on me I had no chance on the grapple contest.

Is there a simple trick for avoiding this? Is it uncommon enough that you just live with it?

Bayar
2009-01-17, 02:59 PM
Conjurers can use abrupt jaunt to escape...

Keld Denar
2009-01-17, 03:04 PM
Errm, I don't think you need LoS or LoE to use Anklets of Translocation. I know people have used them in the past to escape from Forcecages, which block LoE, but I'm not so sure about LoS. Dim Door, a spell similar to the effect of AoT's, does not requires LoE or LoS, just a direction and a magnitude. Teleport also doesn't require it.

That said, Druids don't get much in the way of teleportation spells, but having a Medium Rod of Still Spell + Plane Shift would get you out. Thats about all I can think of for a druid...

BTW, in order to be swallowed whole, you first have to be grappled, a la Improved Grab. I don't think you can get from mouth to stomach in one round. While in its mouth, you would have LoS and LoE if it matters, to be able to use your AoTs. I dunno how your DM ran that, but I'd wager he messed up the interaction of natural attacks and grapple checks, a situation about as muddled as the center of a Solid Fog spell.

Starshade
2009-01-17, 04:04 PM
My first thought is to create an custom figurine of wonderous powers: Celestial porcupine. :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, summoning effects done by items could work, could it not? exept relasing something as a Large Fire Elemental trough using a Elemental Gem, who sound as could hurt a lot inside a monster gizard, many creatures could be usefull i think.

Epinephrine
2009-01-17, 06:09 PM
BTW, in order to be swallowed whole, you first have to be grappled, a la Improved Grab. I don't think you can get from mouth to stomach in one round.

I was hit with an attack of opportunity. And I had used a swift action already. I know, silly of me - I'll make sure not to use my swift actions when I think I might be grappled - but I really thought he'd miss the 34 AC. As a result, I was swallowed on the Behir's turn.

Canadian
2009-01-17, 07:22 PM
I always wondered if Boba Fett died in the belly of that pit monster or if he could shoot his way out.

Dhavaer
2009-01-17, 07:26 PM
I always wondered if Boba Fett died in the belly of that pit monster or if he could shoot his way out.

He used a thermal detonator, IIRC.

Vexxation
2009-01-17, 07:32 PM

He actually escaped; he detonated his jetpack and a concussion grenade to get out, but not before enjoying philosophy with the Sarlacc.

only1doug
2009-01-18, 09:09 AM
So, last night my (non-wildshape/non-shapeshift) druid was swallowed by a fiendish behir. I was luckily rescued shortly afterward, as we had already dealt a good 150 or so damage to the thing, but it was maddeningly frustrating.

How does a caster deal with this? Being fiendish, it had DR/Magic, and I don't have a light slashing weapon that is magical. At 1d4+2 damage, I would never fight my way out. I have anklets of translocation, which can get me out of a grapple, but once swallowed I can't use them as I don't have LoS to anywhere. All my spells have somatic components pretty much, and I can't afford to always be buffed with Freedom of Movement or always have it prepared, not to that mention wasting a round of combat buffing with Freedom of Movement is less effective than so many other things one can do - after all, normally if grappled I can break it with the anklets and get away from the would-be grappler.

How do casters deal with this? The improved grab/grapple/swallow is hard to avoid - I had a solid AC (34? Figured I'd be pretty safe), but since it rolled a hit on me I had no chance on the grapple contest.

Is there a simple trick for avoiding this? Is it uncommon enough that you just live with it?

if you have 3rd Lvl+ spells and spell compendium (sonic spells are rare on druid list) you could waste a feat on clap of thunder (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Clap_Of_Thunder,CM) and just continue to touch attack from inside. (I'd also consider the metamagic feat: energy substitution:sonic)

bosssmiley
2009-01-18, 09:21 AM

Don't stand close enough to get swallowed
If you have to stand close, then stand behind the big, tasty fighter types
Contingency "IF swallowed by a giant gribbly THEN" + dimension door/teleport
Hack your way out with a dagger in some bizarrely freudian welter of blood, screaming and pain

He died. Lucasfilm just decanted a clone to keep the fanbois happy. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2009-01-18, 09:34 AM
Not Lucasfilm, the various EU writers. First, I think, was the Dark Empire comic, then the short story with him in the belly of the beast.

Star Wars Tales (admittedly mostly non-canonical, has Tag & Bink rescue him from the sarlacc (he threw them in a few days before)

Boba: "So what are you going to say?"
Tag & Bink: "That Boba Fett does not scream like a girl and was in no way thwarted by a blind guy swinging a stick."

The canonical EU one though, is him extracting himself.

Samakain
2009-01-18, 10:27 AM

He may be an icon, but all i can hear in the back of my head is the Tiddley Winks theme song ><

Douglas
2009-01-18, 11:18 AM
Errm, I don't think you need LoS or LoE to use Anklets of Translocation. I know people have used them in the past to escape from Forcecages, which block LoE, but I'm not so sure about LoS.
You need to reread the Anklets description. They explicitly require both LoS and LoE. They can be used to escape fro Forcecages, but only the barred version.

If your AC is as high as 34, I expect you're fairly high level and have a considerable amount of money. Get a Ring of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#freedomofMovement). Permanent freedom of movement with no need to waste either spell slots preparing it or actions casting it, all for just 40,000 gp.

BobVosh
2009-01-18, 11:38 AM
He died. Lucasfilm just decanted a clone to keep the fanbois happy. :smallwink:

Then the clone was executed for being the wrong secruity clearance to be in that corridor stomach.

Thrawn183
2009-01-18, 12:51 PM
I would just wild shape into the largest thing possible while inside the thing. Most monsters aren't made for swallowing something as big as they are. You'd have to discuss the ramifications with your DM, but you might even end up using this as your primary method of killing things that try to swallow you.

ZeroNumerous
2009-01-18, 02:10 PM
Heres what you do. Use your massive Constitution and max ranks in Concentration to cast Summon Nature's Ally IV. Summon a Huge Viper, Dire Wolverine, Boar, Brown Bear, or Unicorn. Behir proceeds to explode and you're free! If it doesn't explode, mount your summoned creature and have it cut you both free.

UserClone
2009-01-18, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Swallow whole specifies a size category, two less than the swallower's IIRC, so all you have to do is get big enough and he'll be forced to vomit you up. Messily, I would assume.

ChaosDefender24
2009-01-18, 04:07 PM
Use the + 1 (whatever that enchantment is that gives you +5 to initiative) dagger that you normally never would use

Flickerdart
2009-01-18, 04:16 PM
What level are you? By 20, AC34 might as well be AC0, since they'll hit on 2 anyways.

only1doug
2009-01-18, 05:06 PM
I would just wild shape into the largest thing possible while inside the thing. Most monsters aren't made for swallowing something as big as they are. You'd have to discuss the ramifications with your DM, but you might even end up using this as your primary method of killing things that try to swallow you.

Yeah, Swallow whole specifies a size category, two less than the swallower's IIRC, so all you have to do is get big enough and he'll be forced to vomit you up. Messily, I would assume.

Congratulations to both of you on your reading skills.

So, last night my (non-wildshape/non-shapeshift) druid

I've enhanced the part of the OP that you seem to have missed.