PDA

View Full Version : Beverages

Orzel
2009-01-17, 09:08 PM
I love Orange Juice. Orange Juice is a major part of my life.
It's an ingredient in many of my recipes.
I have recieved it as gifts often.
I've learned to drink it on an empty stomach.
Drown in a vat of Orange Juice is one of my preferred deaths after Dragonbreath.
If I become filthy rich I would make my house's sprinkler system spray orangade.

Orange Juice is my favorite beverage. Pulpy is my favorite.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-17, 09:10 PM
Coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Em Blackleaf
2009-01-17, 09:16 PM
It's a tie between peach iced tea and Jone's sour apple soda, as my favorite drink.

The Demented One
2009-01-17, 09:17 PM
There are only four beverages in the life of a high school senior: Monster, Sunkist, Grapico, and Hot Chocolate mixed with Coffee. That is all.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-17, 09:19 PM

I'm confused on this. How can one not be able to drink orange juice on an empty stomach?

RS14
2009-01-17, 09:21 PM
Milk for meals (2% or whole), and water everywhere else. I'll occasionally drink apple and orange juice.

Lappy9000
2009-01-17, 09:22 PM
Water!

...followed shortly by Coke Zero and Diet Pink Lemonade!

Orzel
2009-01-17, 09:29 PM
I'm confused on this. How can one not be able to drink orange juice on an empty stomach?

Because of the acid, many people cannot drink orange juice on an empty stomach without also getting an upset stomach. I couldn't do it at first but my stomach now ignores the slight stomach pain. But I stilll can't drink coffee without eating.

Em Blackleaf
2009-01-17, 09:48 PM
Coffee never bothers my stomach, even when I don't eat anything.

But that's probably because I put way too much milk/creamer in it.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-17, 09:49 PM
Because of the acid, many people cannot drink orange juice on an empty stomach without also getting an upset stomach. I couldn't do it at first but my stomach now ignores the slight stomach pain. But I stilll can't drink coffee without eating.

I've never met anyone with that problem :smallconfused:. Stange people who'se constitution gets messed up by juice.

Haruki-kun
2009-01-17, 09:50 PM
Hmmm..... my favourite drink.....

CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

.....but I like Coca-Cola, too.

Metal Head
2009-01-17, 09:52 PM
Seltzer water, milk, coke, coke, coke, coke, and nothing but coke. Seriously, I am a slave to the Coca-Cola company and their delicious beverage. I've even been able to discover that American coke tastes worse than elsewhere, because over here we use corn syrup instead of sugar to sweeten coke. Which is why whenever I got to Europe I not only drink it, but inject it.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-17, 09:52 PM
Cranberry juice, fat-free milk (I can't drink whole. Grown up drinking fat-free, whole tastes like crap to me), Coke or Mountain Dew.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-17, 09:57 PM
Diet peach tea snapple, coke with lime, root beer and root beer floats, and various juices. Including apple, orange, cranberry and pineapple.

UncleWolf
2009-01-17, 10:14 PM
Coffee never bothers my stomach, even when I don't eat anything.

But that's probably because I put way too much milk/creamer in it.

Meh, Coffee doesn't bother my stomach at all. And I make coffee that'll stain glass permanently. I drink it straight.

Other than that, I'll have to go with water. I don't drink anything carbonated(however slightly) because I can taste the carbonation in it more than most people. It burns.

Doran_Liadon
2009-01-17, 10:28 PM
Coke! I collect coke! I have a tiny coke bottle, Buzz Cola (from the Simspons), Coke from Christmas 1996. Coke from when the NHL came to San Jose in 1997 and more! Its my favorite drink ever!

THAC0
2009-01-17, 10:35 PM
Booze.

Ahem. I meant diet Dr. Pepper. Yes.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-01-17, 10:39 PM
For soft drinks, it's Doctor Pepper, with A&W rootbeer right behind, but only when it's frozen in a chilled glass.

For other drinks, I love coffee, with only a touch of milk, though I always put in more than I meant to.

I am also partial to anything with Mango in it, and cranberry/raspberry with sparkling mineral water added.

Pyrian
2009-01-17, 10:40 PM
Dole Pineapple/Orange/Banana juice. Cherry Coke - preferably with a little Cap'n. Jamba Juice! And Mountain Dew for serious needs.

BizzaroStormy
2009-01-17, 10:44 PM
Jones soda all the way. The only problem is that its expensive so im usually stuck with generic cola.

hobbes543
2009-01-17, 10:51 PM
I'm gonna say Coke and most beer's made by the Boston Brewing Company. And I agree with Metal Head. Coke does taste better in Europe.

Raistlin1040
2009-01-17, 10:56 PM
Jones soda all the way. The only problem is that its expensive so im usually stuck with generic cola.

I totally forgot Jones, which is indeed majorly awesome.

Canadian
2009-01-17, 11:26 PM
I've been drinking a soft drink from the Ukraine. It's made out of wheat kind of like beer but it has not alcohol and is sweet and tastes slightly lemony.

I can't spell the name 'cause it has all those funny Russian letters in it but it tastes real good and it's super cheap.

Recaiden
2009-01-17, 11:40 PM
Water, cranberry juice, apple juice.:smalltongue:

I can smell the apple. Mmmm.:smallsmile:

SweetLikeLemons
2009-01-17, 11:52 PM
Ooh, cranberry juice is a favorite of mine. Definitely delicious. I am also a big fan of ginger ale, and certain root beers (not Barq's, it is yucky). Coca-cola is good, but mostly I just drink it for the pick-me-up. I don't know how I would get through the day without it. Coffee, of course, though I have gotten pickier about quality lately. Orange Juice, but pretty much only for breakfast.

I used to absolutely hate milk, to the point where it was a struggle to drink even a few swallows without gagging. Once I was an adult, and nobody was forcing me to drink it anymore, I gave it up altogether. I even started buying soy milk to put on my cereal because I found the taste less objectionable. Then, a couple months ago, an odd thing happened. I started craving it. I really, really wanted a glass of milk. And when I finally bought some, it tasted good. Now I drink it almost every day. I don't think it is something I would drink for the taste alone, but knowing the health benefits, I can now bring myself to drink it plain without making a face.

Sneak
2009-01-18, 12:02 AM
Sparkling Water. Thai iced tea. Root beer. Arizona green tea. Orange juice. Apple cider.

That is all.

EDIT: Also, some coffee. And smoothies from Robek's, especially Strawnana Berry. Mm mm good.

RTGoodman
2009-01-18, 12:08 AM
Sweet Tea! It's the best thing out there! Otherwise, though, it's usually water, Sprite/Sierra Mist (since I don't drink caffeinated soft drinks), or Gatorade. If I'm out with friends, I occasionally go for a beer (usually wheat beers of various sorts, but I've taken to drinking Smithwick's recently too) or mixed drinks if I'm not eating (whiskey sour, SoCo and lime, etc.).

SweetLikeLemons
2009-01-18, 12:20 AM
:smalleek: I can't believe I forgot beer!

Sneak
2009-01-18, 12:31 AM
I would say something about my alcoholic preferences, but seeing as I'm underage, well... :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-18, 12:43 AM
Black tea with lemon. Iced tea. Guiness. Leffe. Hoegaarden. Other Belgian blonde beers. Don Julio tequila (:smallamused:) Two-shot 12 ounce French roast vanilla latte.

I've been drinking a soft drink from the Ukraine. It's made out of wheat kind of like beer but it has not alcohol and is sweet and tastes slightly lemony.

I can't spell the name 'cause it has all those funny Russian letters in it but it tastes real good and it's super cheap.
@ Canadian: Kvas? In English letters it probably looks like this: KBAC

Wouldn't say it's cheap though... $3.50 - $5ish for a 2-liter bottle :frown: Really good though.

Athaniar
2009-01-18, 06:10 AM
Vanilla Coke, now that was a drink... A pity they don't sell it around here anymore. Regular Coca-Cola is good, too, but I think Pepsi is even better. 7-Up is also nice.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-18, 06:13 AM
Coca Cola (The ORIGINIAL)

Spiryt
2009-01-18, 06:22 AM
Tonic water all the way.

And beer preferably dark one.

And orange, apple or grapefruit juice.

pingcode20
2009-01-18, 06:46 AM
I love Orange Juice. Orange Juice is a major part of my life.
It's an ingredient in many of my recipes.
I have recieved it as gifts often.
Drown in a vat of Orange Juice is one of my preferred deaths after Dragonbreath.
If I become filthy rich I would make my house's sprinkler system spray orangade.

Orange Juice is my favorite beverage. Pulpy is my favorite.

Heh. I almost never bother drinking Orange Juice if it doesn't have its pulp - no texture at all.

My dad once bought pulp-free orange juice on the assumption that my sister and I didn't like the pulp. He ended up drinking it slowly over the course of about a month because nobody wanted pulp-free orange juice (not even him!).

---

My drink of choice?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/Hakurabi/342px-Fnnsarsi.jpg
Sarsi!

It's always been an old favourite of mine. Hell to find in Australia for a good price, though, so it's a rare treat for me.

ghost_warlock
2009-01-18, 06:52 AM
I drink at least 24-ounces of Pepsi cola every day. :smallredface: On most days I also have at least a few swallows of blueberry-pomegranate juice. :smallsmile:

Otherwise, I'm fond of cream soda and a big fan of mocha frappucino.

I also enjoy a good chai tea or thai coffee, when the occasion presents itself for me to enjoy these lavish treats. :smallbiggrin:

Boo
2009-01-18, 06:59 AM
Any tea except flavoured tea. I also like coffee. Let's see... I like almost any juice flavours that I know of... I'm found of soda in general, but I miss Brio. I don't know where to find any where I live, or even if it's sold anymore. That is my favourite drink.

Jack Squat
2009-01-18, 08:30 AM
Favorite...milkshake

Acceptable substitutes are milk, grape juice, orange-tangerine juice, Mountain Dew, Coke, and Iced Tea (unsweetend you southern fiends).

Athaniar
2009-01-18, 08:39 AM
Favorite...milkshake

If that's allowed, I second that. Especially vanilla.

hamishspence
2009-01-18, 08:42 AM
Beverage is called out by Terry Pratchett as the sort of word restricted to certain places- not so common. Like "Fracas".

Mine would be hot blackcurrant juice.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-18, 12:37 PM
I know this doesn't count, but coffee beans.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-01-18, 01:41 PM
WATER!

I'm a wild, wild man :smallwink:.

Em Blackleaf
2009-01-18, 01:57 PM
Oh, I love vanilla pepsi. I can't forget that one.

Assassin89
2009-01-18, 02:23 PM
Water, milk (skim), sodas (usually diet). I don't really care much for brands because they are essentially similar products.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-18, 02:43 PM
sodas (usually diet).

It's pop, not soda, get it right :tongue:.

Assassin89
2009-01-18, 02:48 PM
It's pop, not soda, get it right :tongue:.

Soda, pop, soda pop, it's just different terms for the same object.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-18, 03:23 PM
It's soda. :smalltongue:
Water is also good.

Jack Squat
2009-01-18, 03:28 PM
You're all wrong, it's Coke

ok, so it's pop

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-18, 04:00 PM
You're all wrong, it's Coke

ok, so it's pop

I'm ok with that too. but it's definitely pop, not soda.

hamishspence
2009-01-18, 04:02 PM
whats the technical distinction?

Jack Squat
2009-01-18, 04:05 PM
There isn't one, it varies by region.

Soda, Soda Pop, Pop, Coke, Tonic, and some others all refer to soft drinks. The last two are popular mainly throughout the south-eastern US, with tonic being mentioned only by older folk. Coke's a brand, and I refuse to use it to ask for anything besides a Coke.

I grew up in Cincinnati, and always heard pop -something my grandparents from Washington State also use-, I know many areas in the east use Soda, and I'm not really sure about the rest of the US...haven't been to enough of it to tell.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-18, 07:10 PM
Soda, Soda Pop, Pop, Coke, Tonic, and some others all refer to soft drinks.

O'course, in Australia, Soda refers to soda water, Tonic refers to tonic water, Coke will get you a Coke, and Pop will get you funny looks.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-18, 08:22 PM
South west uses Soda or Pop depending on the local. Denver uses Pop, Flagstaff I know uses soda or pop both.

Jack Squat
2009-01-18, 08:37 PM
O'course, in Australia, Soda refers to soda water, Tonic refers to tonic water, Coke will get you a Coke, and Pop will get you funny looks.

I still get the funny looks here...and I wish Coke would get me a Coke. Here's a typical conversation.

"What will you have?"

"A Coke"

"What kind?"

"... Coke"

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-18, 09:29 PM
half/half pinapple juice + cranberry = mega tasty
pinapple juice alone = my usual beverage on nights out
blackcurrent and lemonade = sugary goodness

then we get onto the subject of tea

green teas of many varieties
jasmine tea
peppermint tea

and decaf coffee strong enough that the spoon stands on its own after you stop stiring

Atomsized
2009-01-18, 09:31 PM
Root Beer. All the way.

Although my favorite drink is root beer, I try to keep my root beer consumption down to as little as I can, to prevent myself from overloading from sugar. So I drink hot chocolate more often. Which doesn't really help me with the sugar part, but meh, whatever works.

*Twitch*

Roland St. Jude
2009-01-18, 09:33 PM
Those of you discussing regional distribution of the terms soda and pop might find this interesting (http://popvssoda.com:2998/).

Innis Cabal
2009-01-18, 09:35 PM
Thats very handy, and from my experiance traveling across the U.S it seems fairly accurate.

InaVegt
2009-01-18, 11:36 PM
There isn't one, it varies by region.

Soda, Soda Pop, Pop, Coke, Tonic, and some others all refer to soft drinks. The last two are popular mainly throughout the south-eastern US, with tonic being mentioned only by older folk. Coke's a brand, and I refuse to use it to ask for anything besides a Coke.

I grew up in Cincinnati, and always heard pop -something my grandparents from Washington State also use-, I know many areas in the east use Soda, and I'm not really sure about the rest of the US...haven't been to enough of it to tell.

A Tonic is a very specific type of drink.

I prefer the term carbonized beverage anyway. Or Fizzy drink if you want short.

SilentNight
2009-01-18, 11:39 PM
Gonna third milkshakes.

For me, I'm a fan of ginger beer, particularly Reeds extra ginger or C0ck and Bull.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-18, 11:43 PM
Recently, there seems to be a movement of making various non-corn syrupy teas; juiced, flavored or otherwise; in your bottled form. White tea seems to receive this treatment the most commonly.

And you're certain to stumble across them if you have an organic section at all in your grocery store. Even then, they've made their ways into convenience stores.

I have a perverse fondness for these drinks.

charl
2009-01-18, 11:47 PM
I mostly drink tap water, though I enjoy sodas of many different kinds, as well as coffee for school. My absolute favourite would be dark ales though. Stouts for example. That I really like.

Jack Squat
2009-01-18, 11:49 PM
A Tonic is a very specific type of drink.

I prefer the term carbonized beverage anyway. Or Fizzy drink if you want short.

Around here -on the occasion you hear it- it just means soft drink. It's a holdover from soft drinks being originally considered medicinal, which was the reason they were served in drug stores. I understand it varies more once you get outside of this country.

Rawhide: That's a pretty cool link. I think it's fitting that most of the south is red...Coke was originally bottled in Chattanooga before the factory was moved to Atlanta, so it does make sense that it'd be the more wide-spread throughout here.

InaVegt
2009-01-19, 12:22 AM
A Tonic is a carbonated beverage with quinine and sweetenings. It's consumed on it's own or as part of a Gin and Tonic, which has a wide variance of mix ratios.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-19, 12:54 AM
Yes thats true, but back in the day we had soft drinks like Moxie that were originally made with tonic water (tonics) that were made by local drug stores as tasty cure alls. They were also called tonics espcially in the deep south, and its survived the years today. Other regions as shown on that chart have adopted other names such as Soda, Pop or Soda Pop.

As it stands, Moxie tastes bloody awful

Athaniar
2009-01-19, 05:34 AM
Oh, I forgot Ginger Ale. Yummy.

Jack Squat
2009-01-19, 03:15 PM
Yes thats true, but back in the day we had soft drinks like Moxie that were originally made with tonic water (tonics) that were made by local drug stores as tasty cure alls. They were also called tonics espcially in the deep south, and its survived the years today. Other regions as shown on that chart have adopted other names such as Soda, Pop or Soda Pop.

As it stands, Moxie tastes bloody awful

Actually, it was Soda water, not Tonic water. Joseph Priestly, the guy who discovered oxygen, was the one who created carbonated water in 1767 by capturing the gases that come off of brewery vats. In 1825 Elias Magliore Durand, a French pharmacist who immigrated to the Americas, was the first to start selling soda water for medicinal purposes.

The first soda shoppe was created in 1832 in New York, where Joseph Matthews used the scrap marble from the construction of the St. Patrick Cathedral to carbonate the water - roughly 25 million gallons of the stuff. In 1838 Elias Magliore Durand was the first to start flavoring the water.

Philadelphia was where ice cream soda was invented in 1874 by the pharmacist Robert Green. Philly was also the first place to have a free-standing, countered soda fountain in 1903.

Tonic water on the other hand, is just carbonated water with quinine added. It was developed by the British in the 1800s to fight malaria. It was chiefly used by the British to help their troops in south Asia and Africa avoid contracting malaria.

the tl;dr version is Soda's an American invention and used soda water; tonic water was developed by the British to prevent malaria, and the only flavorings added to it was liquor - most notably gin.