PDA

View Full Version : Fallcrest In Character

CrazedBanana
2009-01-17, 09:35 PM
Fallcrest stands amid the Moon Hills at the falls of the Nentir River. Here travellers and traders using the old King's road that runs north and south, the dwarven Trade Road from the east, and the river all meet. The surrounding ridges shelter several small valleys where farmers and woodsfolk live; few are more than six or seven miles from town. In general the people outside Fallcrest's walls earn their living by farming or keeping livestock, and the people inside the walls are labourers, artisans, or merchants. People with no other prospect can make a living as porter's, carrying cargo from the Lower Quays to the Upper Quays (or vice versa). Fallcrest imports finished goods from the larger cities to the south, and iron work from Hammerfast, the dwarf city. Fallcrest exports timber, leather, fruit, and grain. It also trades with the nearby town of Winterhaven. The surrounding hills hold marble quarries that once produced a good deal of stone, but the area has little demand for ornamental stone these days, and few stonecutters still practice the trade.
Fallcrest's Story
Up until four centuries ago, the Moon Hills and the Nentir Vale were thinly settled by human hill chieftans, and a few nonhuman races, such as dwarves and elves. Giants, minotaurs, orcs, goblins, ogres and the like plagued the countryside. Ruins like those on the Grey Downs or the ring forts atop the Old Hills date back to those days, as well as the tales of Vendar and the Nentir Dragon. With the rise of the human empire of Nerath to the south, settlers began to move up to Nentir, establishing towns like Fastormel, Harkenwold, and Winterhaven. A Nerathan her name Aranda Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the portage of the Nentir Falls. Three hundred years ago, the keep was risen, and under it's eye, Fallcrest grew. Over the next two centuries, Fallcrest grew into a prosperous city. It was a natural trades site, and the Markelhays rule over it well. When the empire of Nerath crumbled one hundred years ago, Fallcrest continued to flourish-for a time. Ninety years ago, the horde of orcs known as the Bloodspear Tribe ransacked the town and went on to pillage the Nentir Vale. In the years after the Bloodspear war, Fallcrest has struggled to repair itself, little trade comes up the river these days. Once again, the Nentir Vale is thinly settled borderland where few folk live, and monsters ravage the countryside.
This place is in need of a few heroes.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-17, 10:14 PM
A steamy smokey cloud fills the air of The Lucky Gnome taphouse, giving the place a muted, shady look. Several sturdy wooden tables of different shape and size fill the room, crowded around by the coarsest of Fallcrest's denizens. Yelling and laughing make up the ambient noise, and foaming ale splashes about like water. A small band plays a lively tune in the far right corner. At the middle of the bar, Marius 'Shifty' Oakwood and Vaine Thanodred are enjoying an ale after work, conversing beneath the din of the crowd and music. On the far end of the bar sits Morton Maldan, quietly nursing his own drink. Sitting alone at opposite ends of the room are Torn Icemaw and Aramil Conbar. Creeping through the crowd, Maddy makes her way over to Morton. Slowly reaching up into his pocket, she is bumped from behind by a drunken porter. She stumbles into Morton, who turns to find a halfling girl with her hand in his pocket. He stands, his face going red, his ands clenching into fists. He yells "Are you trying to steal from me!?! NOONE STEALS FROM ME!!!" as he goes into a towering rage, Maddy starts backing away. Morton suddenly leaps forward and grabs her by the front of her shirt and screams in her face "I'LL TEACH YOU TO STEAL, CHILD!"
His yelling alerts the entire etablishment, and the bar is silent, all eyes on the scene taking place. Morton repeats "I'LL TEACH YOU TO STEAL!!!" as he raises his mace to strike.

Tanaar
2009-01-18, 01:29 AM
Torn

Seeing the impending violence, Torn springs to his feet and in only a few quick strides reaches Morton just as he pulls back to strike. Grabbing the man's wrist, the dragonborn's superior strength prevents the blow from falling. Laying a clawed hand on the halfling's diminutive shoulder, he holds her from leaving as well.

"Hold, human. Needless blood spilled is not justice, and is unlawful in this town." He glances down to Morton's holy symbol, and his eyes widen in shock. "And it violates our lord Kord's principles of honorable combat! I am disappointed, Brother." Torn shifts the shield on his arm to make Kord's symbol more prominent. He turns to the halfling. "As for you, little one, one need not take from others to make their way in the world. If you are poor, I will give you some money to find employment."

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-18, 05:48 AM
Aramil

Aramil stands up, his drinking time having been disrupted, even if it was only water of questionable origin [[OOC: Alcohol fuzzes the mind, therefore it would be against Ioun to drink it. Just an FYI]] He stands by the dragonborn. Prepared to use some of his lesser powerful spells if it should come to it.

"Hrm. I am not the least suprised of a brawl, but a brawl with a little halfling? Shall we kick dogs as well? Or maybe we need to find a baby to punch in the face? You are no more man than the kobolds you masochist physcophant! [[OOC: Yay for 18 Int xD]]" With that Aramil bends down to the halfling and says " It is sad to see you are drawn to taking from other to survive, but if you are so hungry or deprived you must steal from a drunk, here." and gives her 10 gp.

"Since this halfling shall no longer steal, I assume the problem is solved Torn?" he says as he goes to sit down.

[[OOC so that leaves me with 67 gp]]

Ridai
2009-01-18, 06:50 AM
"It'll take some time 'til those new recruits know what the hell they're doin', I tell you. Looked more like a fancy pillow fight than anything else today." Shifty frowns and gulps down some of his ale. "Boy, they gonna need some serious training, starting tomorrow, 'til they stop whining after doing the exercises or I make them climb the Bluffs in full gear. Whaddya think when we can start with the tactics?"

When the angry screams start, Shifty just sits there for a moment, staring forward at nothing particular. In addition to having a drink after work, the reason why Shifty is at the Lucky Gnome's so often is because of situations like these. He sighs. "Bloody Toothless Midget.", as he likes to call the Taphouse. Shifty gets up and goes over to where the screams come from.

"Okay, calm down before someone looses an eye.", he says to the way too loud human, looking as imposing as the Dragonborn. "Pay up, go home and get the stuff outta your system. And stop swinging that mace 'round before you hit yourself." He turns to the halfling. "You are lucky that there are some fine people here," Shifty motions to the Dragonborn "and I let it slide this time because almost getting your head smashed in should be enough of a lesson. If you need money, go see the people at the Quays or the farmers."

To the other two: "Thanks for the help, but keep your money. Give a thief money, a worker's pay for several weeks if not months no less, for trying to steal will send a message to a lot of people who'll exploit your good will, taking your money 'til you're dead broke in exactly this manner."

After that, Shifty guides the angry human outside, being as strong as the Dragonborn and taking no excuses.

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-18, 07:08 AM
Aramil winks at the halfling and says "How about I keep 5 gp and you run off quickly with the rest? Hmm?" and quickly grabs the 5 gold pieces from the still shocked halfling.

Brue
2009-01-18, 03:03 PM
Morton

Morton glances up at the dragonborn holding his wrist, noticing the symbol of Kord as he does so.

Hmmmph, It seems you'll escape without the bruises you so richly
deserve you little thief!

Morton relaxes, returning his mace to his side and turns back to his drink. As he does he says Shifty, will you let this vagrant off that easily?

Morton can then be heard grumbling about how things always get twisted 'round him.

Crucival
2009-01-18, 03:36 PM
Vaine

Vaine sat, quietly, nodding to Shifty as he slowly nursed his ale. Though he, like Aramil, valued his intelligence, he also valued fitting in and so he ordered mind-numbing drinks and drank them with practiced slowness.

He straightens when the yelling begins, interrupting him before he can answer Shifty, and he quietly stands, just watching everyone attempt to resolve the fight before, as the cleric relents, he finally speaks. His voice is quiet, but deep enough to cut through the background noise.

"You. Halfling. If we find your hands in anyone's pockets again, you'll end up using them to tug on the bars of a cell. As for you, man of Kord, if you raise your mace against anyone who's not trying to kill you, anything that happens to you could be considered a rescue." He shakes his head. "Next time, THINK before you act."

Ridai
2009-01-18, 03:49 PM
"She can make new friends in the jail if she gets caught redhanded again and you can be sure as hell that the people in here will spread the word 'round town, 'cause that's what they do. And as far as I know, taking the law into your own hands is a crime too, not to mention assault, but I'll assume you now know how things work in Fallcrest, so you won't have to pay the fine 'you so richly deserve'." Shifty is his usual grumpy self and explains everything in a calm but strict tone, punctuating the important parts as needed, complete with his usual frown, just before Vaine says his part (in a much more strict or appropiate, Shifty isn't quite sure, manner).

He returns to his table. "I don't think I have enough skin on my face for all the wrinkles this place will bring me." he grumbles into his ale.

Started to write the post before you posted yours, Crucival, so got kind of slow-motion ninja'd. I'm this close to making Shifty say "Yeah, what he said!". :smallwink:

CrazedBanana
2009-01-18, 05:15 PM
Before anyone can react, a burly, scruffy looking man flanked by two musclebound drudges pushes his way through the crowd.
Shifty knows him as Kelson, owner of the Lucky Gnome Taphouse.
Kelson says quite loudly "So, I hear a bunch of hooligans are disturbin' me taphouse! Whoever tells me who they was gets a free ale!"
Everyone in the bar points to the various protagonists around the room in silence.
All of a sudden, more henchmen appear out of nowhere and force the heroes to the front. "So, yer disturbin me taphouse? Think yer so clever that yer can get away with et? This is the last time ya tangle with me! Get em out of me sight!" he growls to his goons. The gang is pushed out of the bar by Kelsons underlings into the cold evening. The door slams shut and the music and talking continue.
The characters stand on the edge of the Lowtown Market Green, the cool wind tugging at their clothing.
A hefty dwarf strolls out of the building and walks towards the group.

Exiled
2009-01-18, 07:41 PM
Maddy

Usually, pickpocketing was a fairly profitable enterprise. If you were quick, light handed, and fully alert one could usually get away with anything -- of course, being small helped. Maddy rapidly returned the coin purse when confronted, frightened by the mountain of a creature she'd attempted to swipe coin from, then all manners of large folk had surrounded her. The tall folked spoke amongst themselves, and she was fine to just let them go at it. Some offered her coin so she could stop theivery and find work, which was gladly accepted and tucked into a lower pouch on her belt. Voices were raised, jail time was threatened, as was her general health -- should she attempt such a dishonest deed again. She was just gearing up to start apologizing, when more tall folk showed up. Moments later, she, and the rest of the group was tossed out to the street, door shut behind them.

Taking a step back from the bar and throwing her hands up, Maddy says to the group: "Sorry if anyone was in need of getting their drink on this evening; that barkeep sorely needs a lesson in manners." She smiles akwardly, wishing that she'd been quicker on the grab. "Next time we find ourselves out for drinks, I'll gladly cover the tab."

Tanaar
2009-01-18, 09:26 PM
Torn

"Not to worry, small one. Just don't let it happen again. Plenty of honest work for someone with skills honed in the dishonest trades." Torn hefts Shatterfrost, his formidable flail, and prepares to leave. Spying the dwarf approaching, he stops and waits.

Crucival
2009-01-18, 09:59 PM
Vaine

"Shifty...remind me, in case I'm being absentminded, here, but aren't we the ones who're supposed to be stopping bar fights?" He had, of course, come along quietly when asked to leave. He reached up a hand to hold his forehead, fingers squeezing at the base of his horns. Things never quite went according to plan, did they?

As the dwarf approached, he looked up expectantly.

Ridai
2009-01-19, 03:57 AM
"That's the Toothless Midget in all it's braindead glory, instead of a 'Thank you, Vaine and Shifty, for keeping this place somewhat safe'. Tomorrow, I'll sit in front of here, getting somethig to eat and people start to get thrown through the windows, I'll just say 'Well, I can't go in there anyway and I'm busy confiscating my stew.'" Shifty raises his arms in the air, gesturing angrily, while talking. As he sees the dwarf approach them and notices the diverse company he (Shifty) finds himself in, he starts grumbling in the dwarf's direction. "No, I can't do something for you, I have a job, I'm off duty right now and I'm missing an ale."

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-19, 06:14 AM
Aramil

At being pushed out Aramil was rather sad. He had heard that the place was rough but did not like the fact that he was singled out for an act of good. Were it not for the fact that many people were inside and the two guards were nearby, he would of had a right mind to throw a couple of fireballs in there, teach them to reward kindness like that.

"I am sorry Torn, it seems we will have to go to a different Ale house. Or if you require to get back to the church I can always accompany you back?"

At hearing the halfling apologizing Aramil looked at her and said "Heh. Don't mind it little one. I was finding the place rather shambolic anyway. Their water tasted as if it came from the toilet. So don't worry. I am more than happy to say goodbye". Aramil spits at the door of the taphouse.

On seeing the dwarf approaching he checks himself. There were too many people here for it to be a mugger, but you never knew with Fallcrest.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-19, 10:34 PM
The dwarf says "Hello, my name is Teldorthan Goldacp, I run the local blacksmith. I saw your little performance back there, and I think you're what I've been looking for. You see, I purchased a green dragonhide from a dealer in Hammerfast, but the cart was ambushed; the driver was killed and all the valuables stolen, including my dragonhide. I'm willing to offer 500 gold pieces for the recovery of the hide. You seem like adventuring folk, would you get it for me? If you would choose to accept, I believe that Lord Markelhay has a reward out for killing kobolds, you should check in with him as well."

Tanaar
2009-01-19, 11:18 PM
Torn

Stepping back toward the rest of those who had been kicked out of the bar, Torn claps Maddy on her diminutive shoulder. "See little one? Plenty of ways to make honest gold with your kinds of skills." He looks back at the dwarf. "I'm in, dwarf. You mentioned kobolds...you think they are responsible for the theft of your merchandise? Also, where might we find the thieves?"

CrazedBanana
2009-01-20, 12:16 AM
"I believe the Kobolds are hiding out in Kobold Hall, 10 miles east of Fallcrest." But be careful, crazy old Nimozorian the Green thinnks that there might be something bigger behind the kobold attacks."

Exiled
2009-01-20, 02:38 AM
Maddy

Moments after being patted, Maddy had dropped her akward smile into an overstated frown. She hated being treated like a child, even if she was a thief and small, and to be quite honest childlike; but still -- they had no right! Her momentary internal outburst of unrest had clouded her ears, and now a dwarf was talking to them. Talk of theft and a reward for retrival of a shipment or something, dragonhide something. Fairly standard work, she could have likely nicked it on her own -- but then they spoke of Kobolds, and perhaps slaying of aformentioned beasts. This was getting a bit beyond her skill set. Perhaps these overly trusting and kind folk could be easily persuaded into joining forces.

"Indeed," Maddy adds with a smile, "I'll gladly lend a hand in the return of your goods Mr. Goldcap." "So," Slapping her hands together with enthusiasm and glancing around at the rest of the group, "what say the rest of you?"

Crucival
2009-01-20, 02:59 AM
"Alright, so, we've got a hall full of kobolds, and a green dragon hide stolen. Are you sure they're related?" Ever the watchman, Vaine can't resist asking questions. It sounded like decent work, though he wasn't sure that they'd find the hide with the kobolds.

"Either way, we've been meaning to put a stop to those kobold attacks for a while now. It's about time we showed them we're not helpless victims." He nods at Shifty, his face full of steely determination. "I'm in, if you all are."

Ridai
2009-01-20, 03:07 AM
"I think you two are looking for some goons to do your work for you. Damn, you'd think Markelhay could have said something about the kobolds. Thought about bringing the new ones, but I don't think wet pants ward off kobolds. Personally, I'll see about the kobolds, if your hide ist still there, good for you. I'd say we go there in the early morning, kobolds are sneaky bastards and we are talking about a two to four hour trip on foot, so light will probably an issue." With that, Shifty promptly heads home. "And keep an eye on the halfling."

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-20, 05:13 AM
Aramil

Looked at the dwarf and sized him up. 500 gold, even when split up, was a large amount for Fallcrest locals. He would normally jump at the chance, but it seemed a bit weird that he had walked up to them after they had been thrown out.

"Sure. I will go." he said while looking at Torn. Go with the Flow is the main teaching for those who survive on the Streets.

Brue
2009-01-20, 07:07 PM
Morton

Morton ponders the idea of seeking the lost dragonhide for the dwarf and sees a chance for a small bit of fame perhaps, something that never hurts with the church.

I'd be willing to help retrieve the lost goods, but I do think it might be wise to seek some more information if any of you might have friends that have recently been out that way and seen anything? I'll check at the temple but most of my fellow clergy tend to stay close to home.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-20, 09:41 PM
"Thank you for assisting me, I was beginning to think there was no chance of my getting that hide back. If you're planning on leaving tomorrow morning, I would visit Lord Markelhay tonight, and see what information you can get on the kobolds. Fair travels, and good luck!" The dwarf walks back into the taphouse. The last traces of sun disappear, and everything goes a dark shade of purple. The only light comes from the windows of the taphouse, and the castle on the hill.

Exiled
2009-01-21, 01:41 AM
Maddy

"Will do, Sir." Maddy will give a lighthearted wave as the dwarf leaves, then turns to the others. "Shall we go speak with Markelhay then?"

Ridai
2009-01-21, 04:16 AM
"Dunno what good that'll do, as kobolds with some sort of organisation is enough info for me, but whatever. The faster we get this done, the faster I can take a nap." Shifty leads the way in his usual fast walk.

Exiled
2009-01-21, 06:11 AM
Maddy

The halfling picks up a light skip step to keep up with the quick-strided human. "T'wernt the killing of the kobolds I was interested in, but twas mention of reward that tickled my interest," she says. Dropping her eyes to her feet, Maddy begins to hum a common travelling tune about a merry band of dragon slayers; skipping along with the beat.

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-21, 06:44 AM
Aramil

"Hmm, I will need additional gold for my expedition to the Spiral Tower, so I say we see Markelhay." he says as he fiddles with the strap of his longsword. It had long been his dream to study at the Spiral Tower, as it is said that those who study there are some of the most powerful battlemages in existence. He intended to become one of them.

"Shall we go?" he said to Torn and started heading off towards the castle.

Crucival
2009-01-21, 11:50 AM
Vaine

Vaine looks over the group, then at the dwarf, before nodding.

"Markelhay's bounty is worth looking into. Besides, Shifty and I ought to tell him why we're not going to be on duty for a little while." He smiles wryly, looking over to his fellow watchman with a knowing glance.

Without another word, he heads off in the direction of Markelhay's home, slowing down to make sure everyone follows.

Tanaar
2009-01-21, 02:03 PM
Torn

Torn sets off with a spring in his step, the joviality appearing odd in such a massive and well-armed dragonborn. On the short trip to the castle, he makes an effort to learn everyone's name and occupation.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-21, 10:03 PM
(OOC) Guys, before posting again, everyone read through the OOC thread THOROUGHLY I will edit this out later.)

You reach the top of the hill. Ahead of you is a short dirt path to the old gatehouse. The castle is wrapped in an old stone wall, 20 feet high all around.
The gatehouse is gaurded by two men in Fallcrest Gaurd uniforms. Light shines past the top of the wall, casting a strange light on the ground. Off to the right is a small, dark wood. Somewhere, an owl hoots softly.

Ridai
2009-01-22, 10:42 AM
"Evening, guys. Care to let us through? We're planning on doing something 'bout those kobolds, so we're in need of a chat with Markelhay." Shifty raises a hand, greeting the guards.

Brue
2009-01-24, 03:10 PM
MORTON

Hmmm... I wonder if there could be something more to this...

Exiled
2009-01-25, 08:51 AM
Maddy

Tossing in her brand of usual sarcasm and playfulness, Maddy adds, "Yes, indeed - the plot may just thicken a little." She then strokes at an imaginary beard and looks up at the others, an overly stern look drawn down over her face.

Ridai
2009-01-25, 09:51 AM
"If the driver was alone, it's no small wonder he got killed. If not, then the kobolds either outnumbered the people in the caravan or someone either commands them or, more likely, scares them so badly they go the extra mile. They may be sneaky and all, but they are still dumb cowards with tactics more akin to what a poor man's wolf pack would do. We'll go get them and smash their heads in, either way."

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-25, 10:39 AM
"Hmm from what I know about Kobolds..." Aramil says while casting his mind back to what he knew about them.

Nature Check

1d20+1

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-25, 10:42 AM
[[OOC: Sorry about the double post, but I fuxxed up the roll]]

Nature Check

[roll0]

Crucival
2009-01-25, 08:27 PM
Vaine

Vaine just nods quietly at the Markelhay guards, knowing that Shifty can take care of the talking for a while. He is too busy thinking about how he's going to explain leaving his guard duties for an assault on a group of kobolds.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-28, 09:54 PM
Aramil
You seem to recall that kobolds are largely nocturnal, and are somewhat phobic to light.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-28, 09:56 PM
The gaurd on the right grunts "A'ight."
He pulls a small rope that protrudes from the wall. After a short amount of time, the double doors swing backward, and the path continues ahead.
"Down the path to th'right." he says gruffly as he gestures through the gateway.

Ridai
2009-01-29, 02:28 AM
Shifty goes there.

Tanaar
2009-01-29, 05:45 AM
Torn

Following the lead of the town guardsmen, Torn enters Lord Markelhay's castle.

Brue
2009-01-29, 10:33 AM
MORTON

Morton follows the group keeping an eye on the halfling.

Crucival
2009-01-29, 11:47 AM
Vaine

Vaine follows the guard's directions, keeping in stride with Shifty so that the two guardsmen can do the explaining first.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-30, 01:01 AM
Directed by assorted castle dwellers, you reach the office of Lord Markelhay. The room is fairly large, lined with old wooden shelves filled with musty books. At the center of the room sits the lord at a sturdy oak table covered with books. He looks up from his book.
"Ah, hello there, what brings you to seek audience with me?" the middle aged man says.

Tanaar
2009-01-30, 02:02 AM
Torn

Stepping forward, Torn presses a gauntleted fist to his chest. "I am Torn, of the Icemaw tribe. Your blacksmith, Goldcap, has hired my companions and I to retrieve some of his stolen goods. As we suspect the local kobolds to be the culprits, we wish to learn more about the bounty you have placed on their hides."

Crucival
2009-01-30, 02:59 AM
Vaine

"Sergeant Vaine Thanodred, sir. I'm one of yours, as is the man next to me." The guards were a small enough group, but Markelhay had only had limited contact with the rank-and-file, and so Vaine could hardly know whether the man remembered his name and face.

"We've come to ask for your support in driving out the kobolds, and to request permission for those of us who are in the guard to take leave of our duties in order to do so."

Exiled
2009-01-30, 03:41 AM
Maddy

She'd been quiet as they'd been led through the great hall. Her usual mannerisms silenced as she refrained from making small talk or touching things. People who lived in high standings rarely took kind to those of Maddy's nature. She had learned quickly that the best diplomacy when dealing with rich folk was to let someone else do the talking, and just smile and bow. After the others had introduced themselves, Maddy had peeked out from the indomitable dragonborn, Torn. "Hello sir, Madeline of the Willowmoors," she gives a curtsey and bows her head to the Lord, "but just pain Maddy suits me fine."

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-30, 05:01 AM
Aramil bows and says "I am Aramil, of the Feywild. I come with my friend Torn. I am...". He thinks of a human pleasantry.

" pleased to meet you."

Aramil twitches a tiny bit. He really needed to explode something or he would start losing power over the magic. He had maybe 4 or so hours before he would have to "take cover" as the humans put it. For now he satiated himself with thoughts of the Feywild.

Brue
2009-01-30, 09:10 AM
Morton

Morton stays back and puts on his respectful face, he knows what can happen to people that offend those in power. When the opening presents itself he introduces himself.

"Morton, priest of Kord at your service m'lord."

Ridai
2009-01-30, 11:41 AM
"Marius Oakwood, sir." Shifty says during the short pause after Vaine introduced himself and straightens up his posture to at least make a somewhat better impression. Which will probably not work.

CrazedBanana
2009-01-31, 08:56 PM
"A pleasure to make your aquaintance. Ah yes, the bounty. If you where to slay a kobold, I would reward you with 5 gold pieces per hide. To avoid fraud, I require you to retrieve the left ear of each kobold. If you were to locate their leader and kill it, and brought proof, I would reward you with 100 gold pieces." he says.

Ridai
2009-02-02, 07:06 AM
Since Markelhay completely ignored Vaine's request, Shifty assumes the Lord agrees and doesn't send additional help. "Well that's that then, good evening." After a short bow, Shifty leaves and goes home.

CrazedBanana
2009-02-04, 09:13 PM
"I expect great things from you!" says Markelhay as he gestures towards the door.

Tanaar
2009-02-05, 03:21 AM
Torn

Bowing solemnly to the obviously busy lord, Torn turns and leads the group back out into the night air, armor jangling with each step. "It is late. Shall we meet in the morning at the city gates, at the time of the changing of the guard?"

Brue
2009-02-05, 08:50 AM
Morton

"Agreed, I shall go and pray for us all, this is an endeavour I feel Kord will support."

Exiled
2009-02-06, 08:14 PM
Maddy

Keeping her usual antics under control, Maddy slips out with the group, bidding good eve to the Lord. As plans for the morrow grow in discussion, she affirms her commitment. "Any time is fine by me, after I get my beauty sleep of course," she laughs akwardly before heading out to acquire lodging for the night.

Crucival
2009-02-10, 11:50 AM
Vaine agrees to meet at the gates, and proceeds back to the guard barracks to get some sleep.

Brue
2009-02-13, 11:48 AM
Morton

Morton awakes from a troubled sleep. After completing his morning chores and making his prayers to Kord he packs his bags and heads out to meet his new companions. On his way out he pauses to let his superiors know where he is headed, "just in case".

Tanaar
2009-02-13, 03:06 PM
Torn

Waking early, Torn says his goodbyes to the innkeeper, and makes his way to the rendezvous.

Crucival
2009-02-13, 04:33 PM
Vaine

Vaine wakes from a relatively untroubled night's sleep, and makes his way to the gates. Though he's in his full armor and gear, he leaves his militia insignia covered or removes it altogether. As far as he's concerned, this is a freelance mission, not a Fallcrest operation.

Ridai
2009-02-14, 05:37 AM
Shifty gets up early, grabs something to eat and gets his equipment together, sleepily grumbling about gnomes and kobolds almost the whole time. He arrives fully geared at the place where they are supposed to meet.

Exiled
2009-02-14, 03:24 PM
Maddy

Madeline wakes up chipper as ever, and after a few minutes of packing up her belongings is ready to hit the road as well. She'll pay for the room on her way out, thanking the clerk for having clean accommodations, before meeting up with her companions on the main road.

CrazedBanana
2009-02-22, 11:53 PM
Without further ado, you set off from the village. After travelling for about ten miles to the east through rolling hills scattered with woods, an upturned cart marks a winding path leading out to Kobold Hall.

Tanaar
2009-02-23, 02:14 AM
Torn

"We're here. It is best if we do not approach from the path, to avoid easy detection. Let us instead parallel it, a hundred yards to the side, using whatever cover is available. I shall lead." Shouldering again his three-headed flail, Torn walks into the brush near the road.

Ridai
2009-02-23, 06:43 AM
"Wait, wait, wait. We should do some scouting before just going in there. Plus, the kobolds will hear you stomping around in the woods long before they see you in your armor. I say let Maddy and me take a look at the surroundings and the kobolds first and then we can decide how to tackle this." A wise man (Vaine, to be exact) once said to him "Information is key" and that seems to be the right thing to do now. He eyes the terrain around him and thinks about the most favorable approach through the woods.

Can I make a Nature check to make sneaking through the woods easier/faster because of knowing how to move through the undergrowth (+ advising the others)? If so, take 10 on a Nature check for a result of 17.

Connor Darkdart
2009-02-23, 12:44 PM
Its with some regret that I must post this, but I will no longer be able to take part in this game. I have way too many thing going on, both on these forums and IRL. I hope this campaign goes well, and congratulate Crazed_Banana on a good campaign so far.

Crucival
2009-02-25, 11:42 AM
Vaine

Vaine chuckles, looking over his shoulder at Shifty with a look that read what do you need me for, if you're doing all the strategy?

"Shifty's right. The fastest and the quietest among us should scout ahead, so we know what we're up against. If anything notices you, just lure it back here so the rest of us can help."

Ridai
2009-02-25, 04:35 PM
Shifty opens his mouth and points his finger at Vaine like he wanted to answer something because of the look, followed by a concentrated expression because he is searching for something meaningful to say and ends up with a determined, but still slightly clueless face and shaking his hand with the outstretched finger as if that would make up for the missing arguments. "Right, what he said."

Shifty begins to sneak through the surroundings towards the presumed position of the kobolds.

Take 10 on Stealth (16) and Nature (17) checks

Tanaar
2009-02-25, 07:23 PM
Torn

Torn stops at the behest of his companions. "Hunh. Alright, let the crunchies go first. Just remember who you run to if you get into a fight."

Exiled
2009-02-26, 05:27 AM
Maddy

Following the lead of Shifty, Maddy silently draws one of her blades, palming it while moving half pace under the brush.

OOC: Taking 10 as well on Stealth (19) as well
EDIT: correcting my stealth check.

CrazedBanana
2009-03-01, 11:42 PM
Shifting through the light brush, Shifty spots a lone kobold crouching in a bush, looking intently at the path.
With a roar, 2 more kobolds charge out from either side, one with a hammer, and one with a spear. Before anyone can move, the kobold with the hammer,(the one coming from the right) jumps off a rock and obliterates Aramil's face with a mighty swing of his hammer.

CrazedBanana
2009-03-01, 11:47 PM
Guys, everyone PM me their character stats, for some reason i cant open the OOC thread, and i forgot how to make spoiler tags, ill edit this out

Ridai
2009-03-02, 06:13 AM
Without wasting a moment to think, Shifty rushes towards the oblivious kobold sitting beside the road and unleashes a storm of blows onto the creature, trying to cut it down where it sits and to present himself as the most dangerous opponent. The others can handle the two pathetic kobolds on the road just fine.

Character is located in my signature

Initiative: [roll0]
Move Action to move to the sitting kobold.

Standard Action to attack with Twin Strike:
Attack 1 vs. AC [roll1]
Damage 1 [roll2]

Attack 2 vs. AC [roll3]
Damage 2 [roll4]

Minor Action to attack with Off-Hand Strike:
Attack vs. AC [roll5]
Damage [roll6]

Exiled
2009-03-06, 06:21 AM
Maddy

Seeing combat break out, Maddy leaps from cover into the fray, going for the closest foe she can get her blade in.

Initiative +4 [roll0]

Sly Flourish +8 vs AC on closest kobold [roll1]
**If flanking, backstabber [roll2]**

Brue
2009-03-06, 02:39 PM
Morton

Morton Follows maddy as quickly as he can also charging for the nearest Kobold, his mace a swinging, a prayer to Kord on his lips.

Initiative = [roll0]
To hit = [roll1]
damage = [roll2]

Brue
2009-03-06, 02:44 PM
Morton

Re-doing as apparently if you preview a post with rolls in it, the rolls won't work from then on.

Initiative = [roll0]
To hit = [roll1]
damage = [roll2]

Brue
2009-03-06, 02:47 PM
Morton

And apparently I'm a cut and past failure.

Damage = [roll0]

Tanaar
2009-03-06, 09:13 PM
Torn

Hearing the telltale sounds of battle, Torn charges off into the brush to rescue his comrades, flail at the ready.

I'm assuming I can't actually reach them in one move, so just double-moving through the bush to get there. Let me know when I'm in range