PDA

View Full Version : The Oracles prediction about V

The Blackbird
2009-01-17, 10:52 PM
In strip 331 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)
V asks the Oracle. How will I achieve complete and total ultimate arcane power? And the Oracle replies with "By saying the four right words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons."

Well here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html) when V says the four words "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind, when he owns Kubota. So he says four words to a person who is evil a good, rightous act, however he just did it becuase he did'nt want another trial scenes so for all the wrong reasons.

Brauley
2009-01-17, 11:04 PM
He did that and then he finally snapped completely

Kish
2009-01-17, 11:27 PM
V asks the Oracle. How will I achieve complete and total ultimate arcane power? And the Oracle replies with "By saying the four right words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons."

Well here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html) when V says the four words "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind, when he owns Kubota. So he says four words to a person who is evil a good, rightous act, however he just did it becuase he did'nt want another trial scenes so for all the wrong reasons.
Congratulations. You are the very first person to have posted this. Really.

(And no one's ever pointed out that Vaarsuvius didn't actually say those words to a being, either.)

Seriously, when Vaarsuvius says the right words, you'll know. You won't be wondering, "Those were four words and Vaarsuvius said them, are they the words?"

xyzzy
2009-01-17, 11:56 PM
The prophecies so far have all been quite clearly met when they've been fulfilled --- Haley immediately got her voice back, Belkar definitively caused the Oracle's death, and Roy and Durkon's first visit to the oracle, while not very useful as an answer, was completely literal, true, and obvious. The same will be true for Vaarsuvius.

So, basically, what Kish said, minus the snark :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-17, 11:58 PM
The prophecies so far have all been quite clearly met when they've been fulfilled --- Haley immediately got her voice back, Belkar definitively caused the Oracle's death, and Roy and Durkon's first visit to the oracle, while not very useful as an answer, was completely literal, true, and obvious. The same will be true for Vaarsuvius.

So, basically, what Kish said, minus the snark :smallbiggrin:

Agreed. Nice thought, but I think when V gets such great power, we'll know. Right away, without any doubt.

David Argall
2009-01-18, 12:14 AM

Please notice the current comic, and 599. The odds that something like telling Qarr something like "I accept your deal" are obviously much more likely to be correct. Note too that V is some number of days away from the fleet, and even longer away from dusting Kubota. And of course, the further we get from that event, the less likely it is that DGoW is the key.

JaxGaret
2009-01-18, 03:01 AM
No, this theory has never been posted before. Not at all.

I am going to go ahead and say that is is possible that those were the four words... unlikely, but possibly orgiinally intended by the Giant to be the four words. Also, it's possible that even if they were orginally supposed to be the four words, he may come up with a better four words.

The reason for this may be that the path to "ultimate arcane power" may simply be the utter slavish willingness to use it to solve all of life's problems that V has been exhibiting lately.

Gez
2009-01-18, 03:19 AM
Actually, he said the Right Four Words just now. They are "mind completely while still". Nobody ever said those four words had to make any sort of sense outside of their context. :smalltongue:

Hey, it could fit. The right being would be himself, the right time would be time for V. to get back in the story, the wrong reason would be his attempt at rationalizing guilt avoidance, and the ultimate arcane power is to be found in Plot Holes for Dummies. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

magic9mushroom
2009-01-18, 03:45 AM
Actually, he said the Right Four Words just now. They are "mind completely while still". Nobody ever said those four words had to make any sort of sense outside of their context. :smalltongue:

Hey, it could fit. The right being would be himself, the right time would be time for V. to get back in the story, the wrong reason would be his attempt at rationalizing guilt avoidance, and the ultimate arcane power is to be found in Plot Holes for Dummies. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

I'm finding this epileptic tree strangely plausible, at least the concept.

It is entirely possible that figuring out how to avoid trancing would give her the CaTUAP.

My personal theory is
that she figures out how to be "restful" constantly through meditation or some such, giving her unlimited spells/day. Especially since not having enough spells/day is what caused her "greatest failure" to start with

Ridureyu
2009-01-18, 03:50 AM
Nope. V's four words are "inefficient to review the".

Leonshade
2009-01-18, 05:51 AM
The "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind" theory ignores most of the points of the prophecy. They weren't said to the right person, not necessarily at the right time, and aren't even the four RIGHT words (V could've used a number of other spells to kill Kubota, and casting gust of wind didn't change the fact that Kubota was dead.)

Dogmantra
2009-01-18, 05:53 AM
V's four words are obviously going to be "I am your father!" to Pompey. :smalltongue:

Kaolix
2009-01-18, 09:41 AM
I predict that V's four words prophecy will come true... ...in comic 666.

Its just too good an opportunity to miss!

TheSummoner
2009-01-18, 10:33 AM
I expect when V says the four wirds there will be cool lighting effects making it 100% obvious that the right 4 words were said to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons.

Scarlet Knight
2009-01-20, 04:20 PM
:vaarsuvius::"I have a doily!"

magic9mushroom
2009-01-20, 07:25 PM
I doubt something that hasn't been mentioned since the strip got Cerebus is gonna be the key. Has anything else mentioned there in passing ever been relevant.

:smallwink:

alchemyprime
2009-01-21, 12:49 PM
"The Oracle Be Damned"

I bet those are the four words. But now I've said them, so they won't be.

ByooooooooWEEEEEoooooh!

Wow... sound effects work better with YouTube... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atcppjTBDaI&feature=related)

MickJay
2009-01-21, 01:10 PM
Anyone remembers which comic was with the doily? V did say it was the key to ultimate cosmic arcane power or something like this... after seeing so many theories (and making at least two new ones), the simple doily solution seems quite attractive to me. "Pass me the doily", "pass the doily, please"... time: doesn't seem important, but may be, lots of possibilities; right being? the one who's near the doily; four words? as above; wrong reasons? He wants to eat/make/serve cake, and gets UAP instead. It's bound to happen this way. Really.

Zeitgeist
2009-01-21, 01:31 PM
Belkar definitively caused the Oracle's death

While this is true, we don't necessarily know that it was the first death Belkar caused, or will cause. He could fulfill his prophecy multiple times due to the wording of his question. And I don't think it'll necessarily be obvious, especially since the Oracle was talking about that exact thing, the fact that he technically killed some people indirectly. That kind of says that his prophesies are vague enough where you may not even be able to tell they've been fulfilled.

As for the topic, I used to think it was reasonable, but "Gust of Wind" doesn't seem necessary. There was only "1" right word spoken, the other 3 are too inconsequential to be a prophecy.

David Argall
2009-01-21, 02:39 PM
While this is true, we don't necessarily know that it was the first death Belkar caused, or will cause. He could fulfill his prophecy multiple times due to the wording of his question.
True enough, but the problem is that once he kills the Oracle, the predictive power of the prophecy falls to zero. Is he going to kill any others? Maybe, maybe not. That is the case with or without the prophecy. We don't need to consult the prediction when we consider the idea of his killing more, and we get no further when we do. Once fulfilled, it is a dead letter, of no further consequence.

Shanty Man
2009-01-21, 03:17 PM
I predict that V's four words prophecy will come true... ...in comic 666.

Its just too good an opportunity to miss!

I have been thinking for a while that that will be the end of the current book (book four) because it works so well.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-21, 03:53 PM
Four words:

I. Am. PUN PUN!

tcrudisi
2009-01-21, 04:03 PM
Four words:

I. Am. PUN PUN!

Please god, no. Make the pain go away. Why can't we just let Pun-Pun die?

And I'm sorry about hijacking the post. I have no idea what 4 words V will say, but I personally do not believe it will be any time soon. Comic 666 seems too close. There's a lot of action left to go -- too much action. V will likely make that pact closer to the real encounter with Xykon; probably with less than 50 comic strips to go. After all, if V achieved ultimate Arcane Power, wouldn't he then just go annihilating Xykon? That would make for a fairly boring comic.

The Blackbird
2009-01-21, 05:15 PM
Please god, no. Make the pain go away. Why can't we just let Pun-Pun die?

And I'm sorry about hijacking the post. I have no idea what 4 words V will say, but I personally do not believe it will be any time soon. Comic 666 seems too close. There's a lot of action left to go -- too much action. V will likely make that pact closer to the real encounter with Xykon; probably with less than 50 comic strips to go. After all, if V achieved ultimate Arcane Power, wouldn't he then just go annihilating Xykon? That would make for a fairly boring comic.

Pun-Pun can never die mwhahahahahahahaha!!!

Zerg Cookie
2009-01-22, 09:37 AM
V will only achieve ultimate arcane power in the end of the story, because if she will get the ultimate arcane power before that, she will just kill Xykon, kill the Snarl and finish the story.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-22, 07:05 PM
V will only achieve ultimate arcane power in the end of the story, because if she will get the ultimate arcane power before that, she will just kill Xykon, kill the Snarl and finish the story.

Not exactly. Everybody thinks that if V obtains ultimate power, he'll be able to just defeat everything, which isn't true. When a person who's already overly-self confident, and then they obtain "ultimate power," it's almost garrunteed that they are going to make some stupid mistakes due to cockyness. For example, V turns into a villain and obtains ultimate power. While the order is fighting him, V doesn't care to guard himself, so Belkar gets the chance to push him into the open gate, killing them both in the process. This sort of thing happens all the time in fiction: an unstoppable enemy that makes one mistake which ruins him.

Roc Ness
2009-01-22, 09:14 PM
Hey, while we are talking about V and the different possibilities for the fulfilment of his fortune, I would like to shed some light on an alternate fulfilment of Elan's prophecy, one which hasn't really been debated.

Therefore what if Elan died laughing, a "happy" ending

Lupy
2009-01-22, 09:27 PM
They will be this:

No Pompey. I am your parent.

Or perhaps:

Let there be doilies!

Or maybe:

Whatever Rich decides on.

:smallsigh:

magic9mushroom
2009-01-23, 02:09 AM
Shadow;5684649']Not exactly. Everybody thinks that if V obtains ultimate power, he'll be able to just defeat everything, which isn't true. When a person who's already overly-self confident, and then they obtain "ultimate power," it's almost garrunteed that they are going to make some stupid mistakes due to cockyness. For example, V turns into a villain and obtains ultimate power. While the order is fighting him, V doesn't care to guard himself, so Belkar gets the chance to push him into the open gate, killing them both in the process. This sort of thing happens all the time in fiction: an unstoppable enemy that makes one mistake which ruins him.

Ultimate arcane power >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dorukan's or others' magic. Hence V could just negate the Gate's power to kill her.

And only Dorukan's had that as its defense anyway. Soon's Gate had no magical protection via sigils, just an army of defenders. The others will be guarded by other means (e.g. Lirian's being guarded by the glade or whatever)