PDA

View Full Version : Reading in the Dark?

ThisIsNotDan
2009-01-18, 01:30 AM
Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't played DnD, but can V read in the dark? Do elves have night vision, or can he create light using a cantrip or by some other means that doesn't require resting? I only thought of this because it seems that if V couldn't see in the dark, then he would have nothing better to do than trance through the night, at least to pick up a light-producing spell or two.

Kish
2009-01-18, 01:34 AM
Elves have low-light vision. That would probably work for reading at night. However, more importantly, you're missing the point--both that s/he is able to prepare spells each day without trancing, and that his/her reasons for not trancing are not rational ones to be addressed by "well, you don't have anything better to do than trance now."

Finwe
2009-01-18, 03:13 AM
Also, Prestidigitation.

Lord_Butters_I
2009-01-18, 03:28 AM
He's avoiding sleep trance because of horrific memories, not for logical reasons. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, I know a guy who was in Vietnam who takes medicine for it to this day.

Keinnicht
2009-01-18, 06:59 PM
Does trance for elves work like sleep for humans? Because if so, V is going to die of sleep deprivation pretty soon.

Unless, you know, this is like some sort of comic that doesn't follow the laws of reality.

Choas_Dragoon
2009-01-18, 07:05 PM
yeah, because elves are definitely in the realm of reality.
*sarcasm*

BRC
2009-01-18, 07:07 PM
Or he could, you know, use a Candle, or a torch, or a lamp, or any number of light-producing magic items.

Optimystik
2009-01-18, 07:18 PM
Does trance for elves work like sleep for humans? Because if so, V is going to die of sleep deprivation pretty soon.

Unless, you know, this is like some sort of comic that doesn't follow the laws of reality.

V seems to think it's harmless, but the deleterious effects we're seeing say otherwise. As for trancing versus sleep, I direct you to this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102438)