PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spring Attack

Dragannia
2009-01-18, 05:54 AM
So, I'm making a character based on Spring Attack. With Slashing Flurry, Two Weapon Spring Attack from Tempest and Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz from PHBII, he has 5 attacks when making a Spring Attack (it's more optimised I guess if you use a two-handed weapon, 4 attacks but with +1.5 Str mod, but this is for flavour). What feats or magic items benefit Spring Attack?

Tehnar
2009-01-18, 06:16 AM
As for magic items I suggest something that increases your speed, such as boots of springing and striding.

As for feats, Elusive target (CW) lets you take advantage of your movement, high AC against AoOs (mobility) to deal with enemies that you dont designate as the target of your spring attack.

AslanCross
2009-01-18, 06:28 AM
Dodge is really bad, even for flavor. There are a number of feats out there that can be used in replacement of Dodge for the purpose of prerequisites and also give your AC a little nudge:

Expeditious Dodge from Races of the Wild gives a +2 Dodge bonus to AC after you move more than 40 feet in a turn, and counts as "Dodge" for the purposes of feat and PrC prereqs.

If your DM allows Tome of Battle, Desert Wind Dodge gives a +1 Dodge bonus to AC and adds 1 fire damage to any attacks you make with Desert Wind favored weapons if you move 10 feet.

What classes are you taking? If ToB is allowed in your game, Swordsage or Warblade are always good. The Tiger Claw discipline is the best way to effectively use Two-Weapon Fighting (since you don't need full attacks).

I really like TWF myself, but the problem with it in general is that the requirements are pretty high (such as those of Slashing Flurry). With the Tiger Claw discipline, you can attack with both weapons as a standard action at first level, and later maneuvers give you a boost in this area.
Unless you're starting at a high level, you might never get to see your build completed.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-18, 06:29 AM
Can you fit in some scout? Might as well make the flavour work for you.

Talic
2009-01-18, 06:41 AM
The optimum way I've seen TWF done is with a greatsword and armor spikes.

That said, Dervish may be up your alley. The Dervish Dance allows them to maintain mobility with a large number of attacks.

Things that would help :
1) Anything that increases movement. Speed of thought, the Quick trait, Fast Movement class feature, Spell buffs such as haste/expeditious retreat, etc.

2) Things that add damage to all your attacks. The vicious weapon enhancement, or merciful. Desert wind fire maneuvers. Duskblade spell channeling. Etc.

3) Things that make you a harder target. Anything that prevents AoO's (White Raven Maneuvers come to mind). Elusive target. Mobility.

4) Things that increase Attack bonus - High Dex/weapon finesse, etc.

5) Things that increase number of attacks - Two Weapon fighting/improved/greater. Haste effect, speed weapon, snap kick feat (if one attack is unarmed)

6) Travel Devotion. With movement buffs, it'll be good.

Dragannia
2009-01-18, 06:47 AM
Dodge is really bad, even for flavor. There are a number of feats out there that can be used in replacement of Dodge for the purpose of prerequisites and also give your AC a little nudge:

Expeditious Dodge from Races of the Wild gives a +2 Dodge bonus to AC after you move more than 40 feet in a turn, and counts as "Dodge" for the purposes of feat and PrC prereqs.

If your DM allows Tome of Battle, Desert Wind Dodge gives a +1 Dodge bonus to AC and adds 1 fire damage to any attacks you make with Desert Wind favored weapons if you move 10 feet.

What classes are you taking? If ToB is allowed in your game, Swordsage or Warblade are always good. The Tiger Claw discipline is the best way to effectively use Two-Weapon Fighting (since you don't need full attacks).

I really like TWF myself, but the problem with it in general is that the requirements are pretty high (such as those of Slashing Flurry). With the Tiger Claw discipline, you can attack with both weapons as a standard action at first level, and later maneuvers give you a boost in this area.
Unless you're starting at a high level, you might never get to see your build completed.

Level is high, like 15-20 high, so level isn't a problem.

So far, the way I've constructed is Fighter 15, Tempest 5. The Fighter levels were for the feats, since flavourwise, he's using short swords, though for 1 BAB I can trade in a level of Swordsage, since he's using Shadow Blade to boost his Dexterity. The actual build, while not optimised, is done, but I'm mostly looking for magic items and other things to supplement the spring attacking, along the lines of say, +5 damage while Spring Attacking or something.

AslanCross
2009-01-18, 06:50 AM
Ah, that's good then. Shadow Blade would definitely help add to your damage, though it only works while you're in a Shadow Hand stance.

Dragannia
2009-01-18, 06:57 AM
Yeah, the stance would be Child of Shadow, which adds concealment if you moved more than 10 in the last turn, or something, which complements Spring Attacking perfectly.

Bosh
2009-01-18, 07:13 AM
Consider a dip into barbarian for increased speed and rage.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-18, 07:25 AM
Boost your unarmed attack, and then add Snap Kick (Tome of Battle) for an extra unarmed attack whenever you make a melee attack. A Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) and Monk's Belt together make your base unarmed damage 2d6 if medium size -- the same as a greatsword. Get an NPC spellcaster to add Greater Magic Fang at CL 20, then Permanency; that adds +5 to your unarmed attack and damage.

Talic
2009-01-18, 07:29 AM
Actually, I'd recommend:

Fighter 10 / Barbarian 2 / Tempest 5 / Swordsage 3

This has the following perks:

1) Fighter - 6 bonus fighter feats
2) Barbarian - Fast movement. Go with whirling frenzy variant. 2 levels prevents XP penalty. If not playing with XP penalty, replace 1 level with warblade.
3) Swordsage 3 - Placement is important. You give up 1 BAB, and gain wis to AC in light armor (Mithril Breastplace, maybe?). However, by making it the last 3 levels in the build, you make your 1st level start you at initiator level 9. This means as long as you make the prereqs, you can start with level 5 maneuvers. At level 20, you will have level 6 maneuvers. If you are starting at level 20, this is ideal.

If starting at level 15, consider taking it at level 13, 14, 15. You'll start at Initiator level 7 (Swdsage 1), and get up to 4th and 5th level maneuvers, but you'll have them from the get-go.

Alternately, for the "one mighty blow" route.

Fighter 16/Sorceror 1/Barbarian 1/Warblade 2

Use Armored Caster Fighter variant (Comp Mage), and build as you would any ubercharger...

Using a Rod of Quicken, you can quicken True strikes (if you replace 1 level of warblade, and 2 levels of fighter, go sorceror 4 for Wraithstrike).

Lion Totem Barbarian that hits all iterative attacks too. You sacrifice 2 BAB, but eh, I'll take that for either +20 on one attack, or making all attacks touch attacks for a round.

Keld Denar
2009-01-18, 11:36 AM
So far, the way I've constructed is Fighter 15, Tempest 5.

Uh, blah. Say it with me. "Fighter is an even leveled class".

Now, go write it on the chalk board 100 times until you remember it...forever.

Are you starting at high levels? If so, put that level of SS as late as possible. If you are starting earlier, its good to have it, just because being a SS rocks.

I agree with the Shadow Blade + Child of Shadows. Funny thing is, you get 100% of your damage with main hand AND offhand with SB, since nothing limits you to only 1/2 dex bonus with your offhand.

And as long as you are getting Spring Attack, get Elusive Target, as was recommended above. Cause Overreach is too hillarious to pass up, and Negate PA will save your butt a lot.

Person_Man
2009-01-18, 02:52 PM
Have you considered just getting Pounce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4551066&postcount=16) instead? Mechanically its far superior, in that it requires much less of an investment to get all of your attacks.

Anywho, if you're wedded to Spring Attack, I suggest you pick up levels of Dread Commando (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6) (who requires Dodge and Mobility) from Heroes of Battle. It grants full BAB, 6 Skill points per level, 3d6 Sudden Strike, a team bonus to Initiative, Armored Ease, and Stealthy Movement. It's a good mid-level PrC for Ranger types.

Dragannia
2009-01-18, 08:55 PM
Uh, blah. Say it with me. "Fighter is an even leveled class".

Now, go write it on the chalk board 100 times until you remember it...forever.

Are you starting at high levels? If so, put that level of SS as late as possible. If you are starting earlier, its good to have it, just because being a SS rocks.

I agree with the Shadow Blade + Child of Shadows. Funny thing is, you get 100% of your damage with main hand AND offhand with SB, since nothing limits you to only 1/2 dex bonus with your offhand.

And as long as you are getting Spring Attack, get Elusive Target, as was recommended above. Cause Overreach is too hillarious to pass up, and Negate PA will save your butt a lot.

Yeah I know, this is for a NPC rather than a player, though some day I'd like to play him. Probably will sub out the level for Swordsage, but I'll miss the 1 BAB, for aesthetic purposes if nothing else :( He'll be 20th level against a party of about 16th levels, but they're ridiculously buffed because of the items I've given them.

Elusive Target looks nice, though Cause Overreach will mostly be subbed out in favour of simply tumbling to prevent AoOs.

As for Pounce, I've considered it but I've decided that I'd rather not open myself to a line of full attacks afterwards, since this character I'm building has literally zero support.