PDA

View Full Version : Shock Tether Gauntlets[Magic Item]

TheOOB
2006-10-16, 12:49 AM
Shock Tether Gauntlets
These crude copper gauntlets are always found in pairs. Three times per day, when the commad word is used, a bolt of lightning arcs between the two gauntlets. This can be used one of two ways

If both gauntlets are worn by one person they can make a melee touch attack while using the command word. This attack deals 5d6 electricity damage and allows no save though spell resistance still applies.

If each gauntlet is worn by a seprate person, both of whom are within 120ft of one another, the lightning arcs between then creating a line that deals 5d6 electricity damage with a DC 14 reflex save for half damage(spell resistance applies). This arc doesn't hurt the people wearing the gauntlets.

If the gauntlets are more then 120ft from each other, or they are not both worn by someone when the command word is spoken, no effect takes place.

Faint Evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wonderous Item, lightning bolt; Price 45,000gp; 1lb

Triaxx
2006-10-16, 08:18 AM
Two possible alternate abilities for the gauntlets.

If one person is wearing the gauntlets any metal melee weapon, sword, hammer, mace can be charged with electricity for two rounds dealing an additional 5d6 electricity damage, with a DC14 reflex save for half, but ignoring spell resistance.

If one person wears the gauntlets, they may charge metal ranged weapons with an additional 5d6 electrical damage, a DC 18 reflex save for half, though spell resistance does apply.

TheOOB
2006-10-16, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of charging the item through metal weapons, but I want to avoid it being too complex. Also, D&D has never established how metal interacts with magical lightning.

HellFencer
2006-10-16, 05:45 PM
I like the idea of charging the item through metal weapons, but I want to avoid it being too complex. Also, D&D has never established how metal interacts with magical lightning.
Actually, there is a single occurance of it, to my recollection. Enter the Shocking Grasp spell:

When delivering the jolt, you gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls if the opponent is wearing metal armor (or made out of metal, carrying a lot of metal, or the like).
Thus, magical lightning and regular lightning appear to work the same.

Triaxx
2006-10-16, 07:55 PM

I'm not really talking about charging the weapon so much as channeling the power of the ability through the weapon. As for the ranged, it's like directly crafting the spell into the weapon. But it's more cost effective with 'throw-away' weapons like knives, or metal darts.