PDA

View Full Version : Tanar'ri Gate

Keld Denar
2009-01-18, 11:38 AM
What kind of action is it for one Tanar'ri to gate in a friend? I was thinking it was a full round action, but I've recently been told its a standard action. I couldn't really figure it out one way or another. Anyone have any insight?

bosssmiley
2009-01-18, 12:10 PM
The descriptions in the MM say to treat the ability as a spell of n level, so I'd assume that its' a Full Round Action (as is its' nearest equivalent, the Summon Monster spell).

Cross-referencing with the SLA ability description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) in the SRD appears to confirm this.

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated.

Even as a full round action Summon is a pretty good choice for Team Monster. 1 round to (as a best case) wholly duplicate your own abilities and actions? Yes, please.

Project_Mayhem
2009-01-18, 12:21 PM
Awww, I thought this was gonna be some Abyssial political scandal.

arguskos
2009-01-18, 01:34 PM
Personally, I always figured that it was a standard action. Seeing as how they only have a percent chance for it to do anything, making it a full-round action seems rather unfair. At least SM always works. :smallwink: