PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Eberron] Pimp my Ride

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 11:55 AM
The Premise:
My Fighter 5/ Halfling Outrider 4 is about to take a 1-level dip into Beastmaster so I can get a mount that won't be fireball'd out from under me.

The Problem:
I'm not sure if there are any lists of potential animal companions other than the one found in the PHB. Also, I'm not exactly sure what feats from bonus HD to get for my mount once I decide what to choose anyway.

What I need:
- I need a medium-sized animal companion with good movement.
- Dinosaurs and/or reptilian creatures would be nice flavor-wise (I'm from the Talenta Plains.
- Feats for my mount to take (earned from bonus HD)

Eloel
2009-01-18, 12:19 PM
A good question would be, "why fighter 5?"

Maerok
2009-01-18, 12:19 PM
Paladin 5 gets you a mount. :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2009-01-18, 12:23 PM
barbarian 1 instead of the 5th fighter level would get fast movement, 1/day rage, +2 skill points, +2 Fort and +2 HP on average. Fighter gets nothing against it o_o

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 12:24 PM
A good question would be, "why fighter 5?"

Well, to tell the truth, when I first made the character, it was late at night and I had about 5 minutes. My previous character had been killed off by a random encounter and I needed something fast. Many times I have looked back and wished that I had chosen Paladin instead of fighter.

But then again, the paladin code ticks me off.

At this point, however, I'm afraid, it doesn't really matter all that much.

Thrawn183
2009-01-18, 12:37 PM
When I saw this, I totally assumed that you meant pimping out a wagon with spell turrets and crossbows.

</not helping

Samakain
2009-01-18, 01:51 PM
Don't forget the drop down crystal scrying ball from the roof, and the sweet Ghost Sound system.

The ECS i believe has the rules for the raptors/flying dinos most commonly used on the plains, from what i can remember there pretty chunky

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 01:55 PM
Don't forget the drop down crystal scrying ball from the roof, and the sweet Ghost Sound system.

The ECS i believe has the rules for the raptors/flying dinos most commonly used on the plains, from what i can remember there pretty chunky

Yeah, ECS has rules for the dinos, but not for them as animal companions. Is there a book that has such rules?

Keld Denar
2009-01-18, 02:05 PM
When I saw this, I totally assumed that you meant pimping out a wagon with spell turrets and crossbows.

</not helping

With a tinted wagon cover and 38" spinning wooden wheel spokes? And of cource, fuzzy dice hanging from your lead horses bridle.

</also not helping...

To actually be somewhat helpful, head over to CharOp forums and search "supermount". This will give you a ton of possible ideas, some of which may be applicable. Best of luck!

vegetalss4
2009-01-18, 04:10 PM
Yeah, ECS has rules for the dinos, but not for them as animal companions. Is there a book that has such rules?

actually it has. On page 37 under animal companions by regions, under Talenta Plains

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 05:30 PM
actually it has. On page 37 under animal companions by regions, under Talenta Plains

Woah! I missed that! Thanks.

wadledo
2009-01-18, 05:40 PM
Woah! I missed that! Thanks.

Actually, isn't there an online feat that lets you have a druid-ish animal companion?:smallconfused:

And ask your DM if you can re-train that last level of fighter for barbarian, or even ranger.
Both work with it thematically and would make the character a bit better.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 06:05 PM
Actually, isn't there an online feat that lets you have a druid-ish animal companion?:smallconfused:

And ask your DM if you can re-train that last level of fighter for barbarian, or even ranger.
Both work with it thematically and would make the character a bit better.

I'd have to start taking the experience penalty if I did that.

ericgrau
2009-01-18, 06:42 PM
Can't help much with the mount, but like someone said I bet you could search for previous threads. As for fighter 5, I'm afraid the only fix short of retraining will have to be fighter 6.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-18, 06:47 PM
Well, I looked up the regional animal companions in the ECS, and that's going to work very well.

Now another question rears its scaly head -- What feats should my mount take?

I think that it would be good for it to have as much mobility as possible since I use lots of ride-by attacks. I know there's a feat in one of the "Complete" books that it could take to boost its speed by 5 ft. Is there anything else like this in other books?

wadledo
2009-01-18, 06:47 PM
I'd have to start taking the experience penalty if I did that.

To bad then.

Anyway, check this out. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)
It's basically a mini-druid companion.
You don't have to lose levels in outrider, and you can get a companion that levels with you.
Just retrain one of your non-fighter feats.

For Companion feats, stuff like Run, Improved Initiative, weapon Focus(claw), and Improved Natural Attack are all pretty standard.
The +5 Speed feat is kinda weak, seeing as a simple 3000 gold magic item makes it pointless, but not the worst choice you can make.