PDA

View Full Version : More Factotum Questions: Special Abilities

LordZarth
2009-01-18, 12:52 PM
Hello again! I have moar kweschuns.

Cunning Strike: Can I spend 2 IPs to gain 2d6 sneak attack damage?

Opportunistic Piety: For healing, can I heal from afar or do I have to touch the person I heal?

Cunning Surge: Can I spend 6 IPs and gain 2 extra standard actions in a turn?

Thanks.

EDIT: Arcane Dilletante: Reserve/Draconic Feats?

EDIT AGAIN: AD: Can I take Obtain Familiar & such? Do I have a caster level really?

BardicDuelist
2009-01-18, 12:58 PM

Opportunistic Piety: For healing, can I heal from afar or do I have to touch the person I heal?

Thanks.

1: Yes, although some debate it as an attempt to nerf the factotum.

2: Presumably, no touch is required.

3: Yes, but debatable. Also, a little cheesy.

LordZarth
2009-01-18, 12:59 PM
Thanks! Please note edit question.

Please, could someone answer the questions I edited in above? They were to do with Arcane Dilettante.

(AD: Can I take Obtain Familiar and such that requires a caster level? Do I have a caster level, really?) and (AD: Reserve Feats? Draconic Feats?)

JBento
2009-01-18, 01:31 PM
I don't think you have caster levels, because, frankly, you are not a caster. You don't cast spells. What you do is use spell-like abilities that duplicate spells.
I'm not sure though.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Reserve Feats are off the table, seeing as you NEVER have a spell memorised.

FMArthur
2009-01-18, 01:37 PM

Thanks.

EDIT: Arcane Dilletante: Reserve/Draconic Feats?

EDIT AGAIN: AD: Can I take Obtain Familiar & such? Do I have a caster level really?

The edits: Arcane Dilettante qualifies you for magical stuff just like any other form of magic. You can take Obtain Familiar and your caster level is your Factotum level. For all intents and purposes, with Arcane Dilettante you are a caster - you just with very few spells, that's all. He's right, I forgot about it being a spell-like ability.

KevLar
2009-01-18, 11:58 PM
First of all, the Factotum, wonderful class though it is, is poorly worded. Discuss everything with your DM, because there's been a lot of debate about these things.

RAW: Maybe. The text suggests nothing that would prevent you from doing so, but the sample factotum later on mentions 1 inspiration point "on any single attack".
Suggestion: Yes. It's hardly game-breaking.

RAW: Yes. Then again, by RAW, you can heal anyone, anywhere, even on the other side of the globe or on another plane. There's no range limitation and it doesn't make much sense that way.
Suggestion: No. This is obviously an attempt to imitate Cure spells, and the "heal injuries" wording suggests touch range, at least by conjuring the relevant image. ("Do you believe?!" :smalltongue:)

RAW: Yes. Spending IPs is not an action, you just decide to do it, just like you decide to Smite, for example.
Suggestion: Depends on level, and whether Font of Inspiration is allowed. A high level Factotum with lots and lots of IPs can effectively use a Time Stop each encounter and end it before it begins. This is, arguably, too cheesy. But if you don't exploit Font of Inspiration too much, I'd say why not. It's not a cheap ability.

Arcane Dilletante: Reserve/Draconic Feats?
Consensus, yay! No, you can't take such feats. You are not a caster.

Can I take Obtain Familiar & such? Do I have a caster level really?
Consensus again. You don't have a caster level, and can't do anything that requires one.

The Glyphstone
2009-01-19, 12:05 AM
Cunning strike may not be gamebreaking at first, but then the Factotum spams all his feats on Font of Inspiration and does a 50d6 sneak attack on the BBEG in the first round of combat.

Eldariel
2009-01-19, 12:10 AM
I like a limit of "up to his Factotum-level" on it. Also, I think Cunning Surge should be limited to once per turn; it's one source so two extra actions shouldn't stack. Also, it's more interesting to have Factotum split up his Inspiration than to burn 'em all on making a dozen turns in one. Also, extra actions are powerful enough already. The only thing keeping it in check is that Factotum's actions aren't all that powerful...but tell that to the Factotum/Chameleon (or Ur-Priest, but that class is stupid anyways).

Draz74
2009-01-19, 12:38 AM
Cunning strike may not be gamebreaking at first, but then the Factotum spams all his feats on Font of Inspiration and does a 50d6 sneak attack on the BBEG in the first round of combat.

Meh ... by that level, a normal ol' TWF Rogue can do more Sneak Attack damage anyway. This isn't really such a problem -- Cunning Strike is one of the Factotum's weaker abilities, even if he uses it like this. It's less crazy than letting him use those same 50 IP on Cunning Surge, for example, for sure.

As far as FAW on Arcane Dilettante: Yes, you do have a caster level. The ability's description says that quite clearly. Thus, Obtain Familiar should be possible.

You also, technically, prepare spells. In my book, this allows you to use some magic items that require sacrificing a prepared spell, such as the Rainment of the Four set. However, you do not have "spell slots," thus cannot use Runestaves; nor do you "cast spells," thus barring you from all kinds of spellcasting PrCs; nor do you "have spells available to cast," thus making Reserve Feats and many Draconic feats useless.