PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular Spider-Man

kpenguin
2009-01-18, 10:29 PM
Living on the edge fighting crime spinning webs
swinging from the highest ledge he can leap above our heads...

So, who enjoy's the Spectacular Spider-Man? I know I do. I came in last year expecting to hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. And by good, I mean, almost DCAU good.

First off, the animation is good. The designs are somewhat simplistic and stylized, but the animation itself? Solid. Everything moves smoothly and this is especially apparent during the fight scenes. Very, very nice.

I really like the writing as well. The Spidey shown is very classic. He's not emo and depressed, but the struggles of everyday life and his conflicts are shown well. He has moments of self-reflection, but he doesn't ever show the idiotic moments we saw in Spider-Man 3.

One thing that I felt the Spider-Man films were lacking in was webhead not being throwing quips around as much as spidersilk. The new series rectifies this and does it in a manner that feels smooth and a natural. Some of the jokes are lame and cheesy, but there are some good ones as well.

The show does very well with keeping the spirit of the Spider-man comics, but not being afraid to really play with the characters. A few of the villians are different from their normal comics counterparts, but in ways that don't provoke NERDRAGE. Doc Ock or Electro are good examples. Gwen Stacy is in name only, but is good enough character that you never notice much. Some characters, like Jameson or Aunt May, stay pretty much the same.

The first two episodes of the second season are already out.... in Canada. Lovely. I managed to view them (don't ask how) and my thoughts:

Mysterio is just win. The voice actor does a very good job at portraying him in a way that's is deliciously fun to watch.
I can't say the same for Kraven. I've never been much of a fan of the fellow, although he has his moments. The genetic-mutation into a lion-man is just... blah, though.
The potential love triangle between Gwen, Peter, and Liz Allen is building up nicely. That's right, kids, Liz Allen, not Mary Jane is the Veronica in this love Triangle. He's obviously going to go for Gwen in the end, but I suspect that they won't be together long, given what happens to Gwen Stacy in the comics.
I like this "Master Planner" fellow. He's obviously going to be the big bad of this season, like Tombstone was last. There are many possibilities for what his identity is. Doc Ock is the obvious one, since he was the Master Planner in the comics and shares the same voice actor, but the show has played with our expectations before.
Stan Lee's cameo appearance as dockworker was pretty cool. I haven't seen him get a cameo in a cartoon before.

Mando Knight
2009-01-18, 10:47 PM
I've seen a few episodes, and I like it for the most part.
The lack of pupils kinda bugs me, though.

kpenguin
2009-01-18, 10:58 PM
Yeah, that bugged me at first, but it sort of grew on me.

Just like theme song. Hated it at first, but now its stuck in my head. Its catchy.

WitchSlayer
2009-01-19, 06:08 AM
Top tier, it goes back to what made Spidey, and Marvel, great in the first place.

KnightDisciple
2009-01-19, 06:30 AM
Stan actually got a cameo in the series finale of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

Haven
2009-01-19, 07:19 AM
"Did we just get punked? I hate that."

Just saw the first episode...the western-style brawl (the Mysterio coming out from behind the bar to hit Spidey with a bottle made me lol) was the highlight of the episode, but Mysterio's side really didn't make too much sense in a lot of ways. It's always weird when nobody villains have access to what is basically sufficiently advanced tech (especially that "decoy" at the very end). His hamminess was great fun though.

I actually really liked the character side of this episode, which was quite strong. I do wish Liz wasn't making things harder on Peter and Gwen, especially since the poor girl probably doesn't have all the time in the world :(

edit: Just watched the second episode. The fights between Spidey and Kraven were INTENSE--he smacked Kraven with a gorilla!

I liked this one a lot better; Kraven as a threat seemed a bit less...arbitrary, in terms of his abilities, than Mysterio was. Plus the action was a LOT better. Although my favorite version of Kraven is always going to be the one that, after several issues of being built up as a threat, jumps at Spidey while he's trying to save someone...and gets taken out with a single punch, because Spider-man has superpowers and he, er, doesn't.

Also: PETER. The correct thing to say isn't "You didn't wait for me," but "Sorry!" >< Hopefully, now that Liz didn't even so much as notice the giant black eye, Peter'll come to his senses about who really cares for him.
Where'd the Norman Osborn subplot from the end of last episode go? There really wasn't room for it this episode, but they shouldn't have left off with "come have breakfast with me right now!" last week in that case. I can picture it...Peter has bacon and eggs, Osborn just sort of stares at him the whole time...
alright maybe i'm okay with that not being in the episode.

Mando Knight
2009-01-19, 12:46 PM
Top tier, it goes back to what made Spidey, and Marvel, great in the first place.

Partly because, if I remember reading the opening credits correctly, Stan Lee is involved with this cartoon. And not just as some guy with a cameo.

kpenguin
2009-01-19, 04:19 PM
"Did we just get punked? I hate that."

Just saw the first episode...the western-style brawl (the Mysterio coming out from behind the bar to hit Spidey with a bottle made me lol) was the highlight of the episode, but Mysterio's side really didn't make too much sense in a lot of ways. It's always weird when nobody villains have access to what is basically sufficiently advanced tech (especially that "decoy" at the very end). His hamminess was great fun though.

That annoyed me at the start, as well. I knew that they wouldn't betray us by making Mysterio was an actual sorceror, but their reveal was not satisfying. On the other hand, if Master Planner is really Doc Ock or maybe Norman, it becomes a little bit more believable.

I liked this one a lot better; Kraven as a threat seemed a bit less...arbitrary, in terms of his abilities, than Mysterio was. Plus the action was a LOT better. Although my favorite version of Kraven is always going to be the one that, after several issues of being built up as a threat, jumps at Spidey while he's trying to save someone...and gets taken out with a single punch, because Spider-man has superpowers and he, er, doesn't.

Looking back, yes, the fight against Kraven was far more intense. However, I still don't like how quickly Kraven goes from badass normal hunter to superpowered lion-man. They should have left that for another episode.

Where'd the Norman Osborn subplot from the end of last episode go? There really wasn't room for it this episode, but they shouldn't have left off with "come have breakfast with me right now!" last week in that case. I can picture it...Peter has bacon and eggs, Osborn just sort of stares at him the whole time...
alright maybe i'm okay with that not being in the episode.

The whole thing was probably just another way to get Peter to not talk to Gwen about their... feelings.

Partly because, if I remember reading the opening credits correctly, Stan Lee is involved with this cartoon. And not just as some guy with a cameo.

Not really. He's listed as executive producer, which really means nothing here.

FoE
2009-01-19, 05:18 PM
Did anyone else Fanboy Squee just a little when Mary Jane was introduced? "Face it, tiger ... you just hit the jackpot." EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :smallwink:

I've sadly only seen a handful of episodes, but it's a top-notch show. Maybe better even than the series from the 90s, which suffered from constantly recycling animation. And that theme song is insanely contagious.

Also, the episode with the Black Cat? ****ing made of win. :smallbiggrin:

Thiel
2009-01-19, 06:42 PM
Wasn't there a spiederman show back in the sixties by the same name?

kpenguin
2009-01-19, 07:33 PM
Wasn't there a spiederman show back in the sixties by the same name?

Nope the 60's toon was titled simply Spider-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(1967_TV_series))

kpenguin
2009-01-26, 05:29 AM
Just saw the latest episode.

The action with the new Sinister Six was intense! I enjoyed the team-ups a lot, especially Sandman and Rhino.

The three-way romance is a bit grating, but I like how they're using MJ in this. Not so much as a love interest, but a mentor. Should be interesting.

Also: who's the Master Planner now? It appears Doc Ock is out... or is he?

Haven
2009-01-26, 02:11 PM
I think they should have saved the team-up; it didn't tie into the plot nearly as well as the last Sinister Six fight, which it only seemed like he won because of the suit. If they'd waited a while, they could have more plausibly said that his increasing skills helped him win (the ways he took out Electro, Sandman and Mysterio were all pretty clever...Rhino really needs to learn to see these things coming, though).

I feel so bad for poor Gwen though. And according to the episode descriptions on Wikipedia, Peter will take all season to figure this out. Ouch.

kpenguin
2009-02-10, 03:29 AM
Did anyone catch "Shear Strength"? I mean, wow, just... wow.

I was loving this episodes. The characters all meshed together perfectly, showing off delightfully entertaining personalities. The Master Planner especially.

He's revealed to be Doc Ock, but we all already knew that that was going to happen. Him having a mug that's labeled "Evil Genius" was a nice touch, though I would have gone with "World's Greatest Mastermind".

Haven
2009-02-16, 01:20 AM
Did anyone catch "Shear Strength"? I mean, wow, just... wow.

I was loving this episodes. The characters all meshed together perfectly, showing off delightfully entertaining personalities. The Master Planner especially.

He's revealed to be Doc Ock, but we all already knew that that was going to happen. Him having a mug that's labeled "Evil Genius" was a nice touch, though I would have gone with "World's Greatest Mastermind".

My favorite part was that he has a little sign for his coffee maker asking people not to make a mess. In his supervillain lair. Most villains just aren't so conscientious!

This week's episode: wow. That fight against Sandman was EPIC. "How am I supposed to beat up a beach?"

I really hope this sticks, because that scene with the sand castle was just too cute.

As always, I'm skeptical of Eddie Brock's borderline mustache-twirling. His trick was a good one, even if I'm not really sure what he would have done if Peter hadn't been distracted before he could approach him. The "make him paranoid" thing probably wouldn't work too well if Peter just walked up to him and said "sup?"

sealemon
2009-02-16, 08:44 PM
Nevermind the animation (Which is good), or the fight scenes (cool), or the sense of FUN (check)...what sold me on Spectacular Spiderman was the way the Eddie Brock was introduced as a close friend of Peter's, and his the way his dissolusionment with Peter was eventually used by the symbiote to make him into Venom.

Not only was the Venom storyline light years ahead of Spiderman 3, it was better that the comic book, in my opinion.

Very solid series. I'm looking forward to catching season 2.

Haven
2009-02-22, 05:06 PM
Eh, I always thought that the way Brock was such a nice guy, and then in episode 11 or so he's all "Grrr arrr hate Peter going to almost kill us both riding a motorcycle grrr", was pretty lame.

Anyway, this week's episode was pretty brilliant. I was so happy to see a new superhuman use their powers for good for a change...but you just knew it wasn't going to last. I do like that Captain Stacy is still the voice of reason, it's a nice change for Clancy Brown. I really, really hope that the show defies all expectations and has both him and Gwen survive.

Also, re the episode's ending: wow. You can't say Venom doesn't know how to cut through the bull****. JJJ's either gonna have an aneurysm or just say "No, you're Spider-Man!" To which Venom will probably just throw him out the convenient defenestration-hole he just made.

kpenguin
2009-02-25, 05:01 AM
"I know that the next episode will end with Pete "proving" that he's not Spider-Man, but I hope that somebody out of the cast will know the secret. Pete needs a secret keeper.

Haven
2009-03-02, 02:14 PM
Pete needs a secret keeper.

Seems like you got your wish ;) I'm betting in addition to the near the end of the episode, Norman Osborn is in on it now as well, based on his reaction. The arc of him trying to be Peter's mentor should be getting more attention than it is, I think.

Another great episode, although the fights with Venom always seem a little repetitive to me.

Gwen and Peter still need to get together for real though...the scene where they're framed in a heart was so incredibly cute as to tide me over, but damnit, it must happen!
Speaking of cute things, the interview with the Doctors Connors...^^ you can just tell they've been happily married for years.
Also, that drama teacher may be my new favorite non-main character (well, second to Captain Stacy; hey, you know show, you COULD take the high road and NOT kill off the characters we really care about? eh? chance to avoid "women in refrigerators"? think about it!)

And: "It only loves me for the hate..." wow. That could have so easily have been narm, but it was really moving instead.

Vic_Sage
2009-03-02, 05:49 PM
We really won't be getting more Spectacular Spiderman most likely. (http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?rid=809)

Greg Weisman has confirmed that The Spectacular Spider-Man has officially ended production with the completion of the 26th episode of the series. While the creative team for the series will be officially disbanded as of today, and there is no further production on The Spectacular Spider-Man planned at this time, Weisman states that a third season could happen depending on both the availability of the production team and the ratings for the second season episodes of The Spectacular Spider-Man

puppyavenger
2009-03-02, 07:30 PM
Well, saw an episode or two, The fact that most of the characters seem to be in Junior high or high school is a bit annoying but other then that good.

Vic_Sage
2009-03-02, 08:37 PM
Well, saw an episode or two, The fact that most of the characters seem to be in Junior high or high school is a bit annoying but other then that good.
You haven't read any Spiderman comics have you?

Enlong
2009-03-03, 12:52 AM
OK, I hate to ask, but I have to ask.

What channel (er, what network) is this show on, and at what times? I wanna see it.

kpenguin
2009-03-03, 12:58 AM
OK, I hate to ask, but I have to ask.

What channel (er, what network) is this show on, and at what times? I wanna see it.

Its only on Teletoon in Canada for now, but it'll be on Disney XD soon.

What worries me is that Disney XD hasn't been advertising this at all, unlike Nicktoons with their Wolverine and the X-Men.

Haven
2009-03-09, 12:08 PM
The latest episode was awesome. Just a whole episode of action, and then a final twist that makes me think Norman is the best character in this whole show.

Wtf is with George Stacy acting all coy, though? Granted he can't officially endorse him, but now that he knows who he is, the sensible thing to do would be for him to give Spidey some advice on how to be more efficient than just randomly patrolling.

Selrahc
2009-03-09, 12:53 PM
You haven't read any Spiderman comics have you?

Well it's a good few decades since mainstream comic Spidey was in high school.

Ichneumon
2009-03-09, 01:07 PM
I've watched the episodes on youtube. They are awesome. Best spiderman cartoon ever.

kpenguin
2009-03-16, 01:46 AM
Probable Causes was... meh. Not bad, but not really god either. Any amusement I got from the Enforcers was offset by the sheer irritation caused by one Sally Avril.

Gang Land on the other hand... AWESOME!!! Quite possibly the best episode of the entire series thus far.

First of all, top notch performances from the voice actors for Tombstone, Silvermane, and Ock. Tombstone calm menace, Silvermane's not-so-calm menace, and Ock's over-the-top hamminess just won the episode for me. Ock especially.

I also liked how the fight was interlaced with the teenage-romance subplot. The editing really was superb and really helped break up the fight so that it felt fresh every time we cut back to it. The fight itself was suitably epic and masterfully choreograph. I love how they kept Tombstone as a viable opponent despite not having the technological enhancements that Doctor Octopus and Silvermane have.

Finally, we need more opera music in animated series. We just do.

Haven
2009-03-17, 12:26 PM
One word:

"TREACHERRRYYYYYYY!"

LazyJoe
2009-03-17, 02:27 PM
''I assume you remember our last physical encounter''
''Painfully. But like I told you back then, I don't look the other way''

Also, loved the fact we got a Tomby vs Spidey underground fight set against an operatic soundtrack and even an upside-down POV from Ock.

Haven
2009-03-19, 01:35 AM
''I assume you remember our last physical encounter''
''Painfully. But like I told you back then, I don't look the other way''

Also, loved the fact we got a Tomby vs Spidey underground fight set against an operatic soundtrack and even an upside-down POV from Ock.

It was a truly amazing episode...but I still can't get over the fact that that Octopus actually shouted "TREAAACHEERRRRYYYYYYYYY!" It's so wonderfully stupid, I love it.

I feel like this season is straining with all its attempts to be experimental or postmodern. The intercut dialogue in the "Colonel Jupiter" episode was pretty bad, but the way "Subtext" was completely out of order was, at best, gratuitous. There was no reason to do that, it just got in the way of the story. The whole opera thing almost fit here too--it's not an epic operatic plot, it's just four guys with superpowers whaling on each other--except that one didn't have the same pretentious vibe as throwing random Shakespeare quotes into Colonel Jupiter's action sequences did ("but it is terrible to use it like a giant"). Plus, Doctor Octopus' getup was awesome.