PDA

View Full Version : To shatter or not to shatter - Will save?

Thorin
2009-01-18, 10:34 PM
Ok, so I have my 7th lvl warlock, and found a staff that let me use the Baleful utterance invocation.

We were fighting a demon and I tried to shatter his breastplate, cause even the barbarian was having a hard time trying to hit him.

My DM, said that the breastplate Will save, had to be done with the demon total will save... I said no, he said yes... we read the spell description... and we got no conclusion. At the end, he just made what he though was for the best and used the demon save (and blamed me for not knowing for sure how it was supposed to be done).

Now, before the next session, I´d really like to know from where the will save should come. Also, I read somewhere about "partial" shattering something, and a brieff reference to "some DM´s allowing it"... What does it mean exactly?

Thanks to those who clarifies my doubts.

PS: Sry if something seems a bit odd, my english is a bit rusty

ChaosDefender24
2009-01-18, 10:37 PM
sunders a single solid, nonmagical object

This could help..

Thorin
2009-01-18, 10:43 PM
Will negates (object)

This is the part that makes us debate

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-18, 10:46 PM
They made it somewhat hard to find. Look in the PHB on page 166, below the tables and above the sidebar, continued on the top of page 167. Quoted from the SRD:

Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better.
Animated Objects

Animated objects count as creatures for purposes of determining their Armor Class (do not treat them as inanimate objects).
Using the Demon's total Will save bonus was correct.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-18, 10:47 PM
The DM is correct.

You use owners.

And since you can't shatter magical gear (unless suppressed first but dispelling); Dispel first.