PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Headbutting Goatboy

Thurbane
2009-01-19, 09:37 AM
Hey all,

Wondering if I could get some ideas for a crazy character build.

I'd love to play an Ibixian (Goatfolk) warrior type whose primary weapon is his headbutt, with a Scottish accent (i.e. Glasgow kiss)...

"Take tha' Jimmy!" :smallbiggrin:
I want to make an Ibixian (MM3, p.63) warrior type who specializes in headbutting. Looking for a build around ECL 12 (Ibixian has 3 racial HD and +1 LA, 8 levels of classes and PrCs).

Stipulations: no ToB, no MoI, no psionics. No FR or Eberron specific material. No Dragon Magazine material. Most other 3.5 books are in.

Preferences: no casting levels (i.e. no Wiz, Src, Clr, Drd), purely melee classes if at all possible (i.e. Ftr, Brb, Mnk etc.).

Other than that, let's go nuts. How scary can you make Goatboys headbutt? :smallbiggrin:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hd4nk7.jpg

mikej
2009-01-19, 09:48 AM
I love the concept, maybe look into the Dungeoncrasher variant Fighter in the Dungeonscape book. Bull Rush opponents into walls with your headbutt for massive damage.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-19, 10:41 AM
This was done kinda quickly so there may be errors but some thing like this

32 pt buy

Stats before modifiers"
16 ,13, 14, 14,11,10

After
20, 13, 16, 12, 9, 10

Goat 1/ Improved natural weapon
Goat 2/
Goat 3/ Power attack
Fighter 1/ Improved bullrush
Fighter 2/(dungion crasher varient)
Fighter 3/Shock trooper
Fighter 4/Powerful Charge
Fighter 5/
Fighter 6/(dungion crasher varient)/greater powerful charge
Barbarian 1/(Lion totem variant)/
Barbarian 2

BAB 11/5

So bullrushing on a charge at a medium while raging you will be rolling a
+ 25 = 11 + 4IB + 7str + 4
then choosing to do dungion crasher dmg or 1d8+7str+ 15PA + 2d6PC

plus i can't remember if the dungion crasher stuff is considered an attack or not... if it is you can add your powerfull charge dmg on to it.. for +2d6 dmg

Keld Denar
2009-01-19, 10:44 AM
Could you copy down just the part that that description of the headbutt attack? Like, it should be a single natural attack, which means, as long as you don't make attacks with anything else, you should get 1.5x str and 2:1 PA, right?

Also, what size catagory are they? If medium, what creature type are they (Humanoid?). If large, I have a REALLY good idea.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-19, 10:48 AM
Could you copy down just the part that that description of the headbutt attack? Like, it should be a single natural attack, which means, as long as you don't make attacks with anything else, you should get 1.5x str and 2:1 PA, right?

Also, what size catagory are they? If medium, what creature type are they (Humanoid?). If large, I have a REALLY good idea.

there medium and humanoid... why whats your idea?

The Glyphstone
2009-01-19, 11:15 AM
Probably Knock-Back. It's a feat that requires being Large or having Powerful Build, and attaches a free Bull Rush to basically all your attacks, with a bonus based on how much you Power Attacked for.

Keld Denar
2009-01-19, 11:22 AM
Probably Knock-Back.

Guilty. Sadly, won't work, as the only other way to aquire something even remotely close to Powerful Build is the Jotunbrud feat, which is a human only regional feat from a Dragon Mag, which disqualifies it from this experiment several times over!

Maybe take a couple levels of Kensi and enhance your gore attack with the Bull Rushing enhancement from MIC? Could be fun.

Otherwise, Shocktrooper's Directed Bullrush has lots of potential for humorous moments. Won't have super high damage due to the fact that without Knockback, you'll only be doing the Dungeoncrasher damage, but thats still a pretty chunck of it, so its probably better we don't cross over into the realm of triple digit single attacks. :P

Go with Rag's build. Looks solid to me!

Heliomance
2009-01-19, 12:27 PM
You could always take Knockback and have the party cleric Enlarge you every encounter.

Thurbane
2009-01-19, 01:28 PM

Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Attack: Head Butt 1d6+2 (1d6 + STR mod, not 1.5 unfortunately)

...as it's only natural attack, should the head butt not be 1.5 x STR mod?

Keld Denar
2009-01-19, 01:44 PM
Well, thinks that only get a single natural attack, like a wolf, typically can treat it as if it were a 2handed weapon. Then again, maybe not for this thing, since it can wield weapons. Not really sure anymore.

bosssmiley
2009-01-19, 02:20 PM
What about that reckless charge feat (+damage on a charge)? Or is that ToB?

Link related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox09BOz7b4U) (failed my Will save)

Keld Denar
2009-01-19, 02:28 PM
Shocktrooper has Heedless Charge, not to be confused with Headless Charge, which wouldn't do a goat based charger any good. Is that what you mean?

Actually, I think you are meaning Powerful Charge, which unfortunately is a pretty crappy feat unless you are at least large sized, and even then, its better if you are huge.

Thurbane
2009-01-19, 02:42 PM
I just checked Minotaur. Same story, so I guess it's consistent. Also checked out the SRD. It says nothing about 1.5x STR on damage but, like Keld Denar, I thought I had read it somewhere for sole natural attacks... :smallfrown:

Drascin
2009-01-19, 04:53 PM
I want to help, I really do, but after reading

warrior type whose primary weapon is his headbutt, with a Scottish accent (i.e. Glasgow kiss)...

...my mind's full of wee brawling pictsies shouting "Nac Mac Feegle!", which is not exactly conducive to thought.

I really need to make a character like that sometime.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-19, 05:14 PM
What i first read the Op's post i was going to link bitey of bracken wood video but i can't find a link to it sadly.

Rei_Jin
2009-01-19, 05:41 PM
I'd look at a Ibixian4/Monk2/Fighter6. Level 13 of this build would get you into Drunken Master (because, why wouldn't you?)

You'll need a Monks Belt to get the most out of this build, but it does synergise nicely and minimises the need for Wisdom (even though you have levels in Monk)

Feats are as follows:
1: Dodge
3: Great Fortitude
5: Stunning Fist (b)
5: Improved Unarmed Strike (b)
6: Deflect Arrows (b)
7: Improved Natural Weapon (Unarmed Strike)
7: Power Attack (b)
8: Dungeoncrasher Variant (b)
10: Improved Bullrush (b)
10: Flying Kick
12: Dungeoncrasher Variant (b)
12: Cometary Collision (b)

So, let's see what damage you can do with this character with a Monks Belt.

BAB: +10
Base Damage: 2d6 + Strength Modifier
When Charging: Add +1d12 damage
If Bullrushing into a wall: add 8d6 + 3x Strength Modifier

And, if you ready an action to charge and bullrush an opponent who is charging themselves, and manage to push them into a wall (Using Cometary Collision) ...

Damage: 2d6+ 1d12+ 8d6+ 4x Strength Modifier +4

Not including any magical modifiers you may have.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 05:56 PM
If I was GMing, I'd allow another character with that 'throw ally' feat to use your headbutting goatboy as a laser-guided ballista (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#siegeEngines) bolt to be thrown by a friend into the thick of combat, forehead first. How ... versatile would your GM be?

Telonius
2009-01-19, 07:28 PM
I'd look at a Ibixian4/Monk2/Fighter6. Level 13 of this build would get you into Drunken Master (because, why wouldn't you?)

You'll need a Monks Belt to get the most out of this build, but it does synergise nicely and minimises the need for Wisdom (even though you have levels in Monk)

Feats are as follows:
1: Dodge
3: Great Fortitude
5: Stunning Fist (b)
5: Improved Unarmed Strike (b)
6: Deflect Arrows (b)
7: Improved Natural Weapon (Unarmed Strike)
7: Power Attack (b)
8: Dungeoncrasher Variant (b)
10: Improved Bullrush (b)
10: Flying Kick
12: Dungeoncrasher Variant (b)
12: Cometary Collision (b)

So, let's see what damage you can do with this character with a Monks Belt.

BAB: +10
Base Damage: 2d6 + Strength Modifier
When Charging: Add +1d12 damage
If Bullrushing into a wall: add 8d6 + 3x Strength Modifier

And, if you ready an action to charge and bullrush an opponent who is charging themselves, and manage to push them into a wall (Using Cometary Collision) ...

Damage: 2d6+ 1d12+ 8d6+ 4x Strength Modifier +4

Not including any magical modifiers you may have.

I usually wouldn't advise this, but if you're already getting two levels of Monk, why not trade out two of the Dungeoncrasher levels for additional Monk levels? You'd be trading 1 feat and 2 hp for an extra die of unarmed damage, +10 speed, Slow Fall 20, and Ki Strike (Magic). Normally that last is considered really lame, but if you're concentrating solely on your headbutt attack, it could be at least somewhat useful. Your BAB won't suffer at all, since Monk gets BAB bumps at 3 and 4.

Rei_Jin
2009-01-19, 07:30 PM
Ah, but then you miss out on the Level 6 Dungeoncrasher bonus of basically doubling the benefits it gives. You need to be a level 6 Fighter to get the goodies, and an extra Damage Die isn't worth it.

newbDM
2009-01-19, 08:15 PM
I keep imagine a Headbutting Goatgirl for some reason. With magical bows on her horns to improve her attack?

Thurbane
2009-01-22, 09:26 PM
Dungeoncrasher etc. would be an interesting build.

Is there anyway to make this a decent build that doesn't inlove charging & bullrushing? i.e. Standing toe to toe and headbutting?

half eaten oreo
2009-01-22, 09:55 PM
About the 1.5*Str damage on the headbutt. The rule in the srd is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#damage).

If the creature uses a two-handed weapon or has a single natural weapon, it adds 1½ times its Strength bonus to the damage. If it has more than a single attack then it adds its Strength bonus to damage rolls for the primary attack and ½ its Strength bonus to all secondary attacks.

Rei_Jin
2009-01-22, 09:57 PM
Sure.

Monk4/Fighter1/Fist of the Forest3

Take Improved Natural Weapon

Put on a Monks Belt

Now when you headbutt someone you can deal up to 3d8 damage, not including any strength or magical bonuses.

If you take the Decisive Strike alternate Monk Class feature from PHBII you can attack once as a full round action, dealing double damage (6d8 + 2x Strength mod + 2x Magical Modifiers) but with a -2 penalty on the attack roll.

Thurbane
2009-01-23, 01:43 AM
About the 1.5*Str damage on the headbutt. The rule in the srd is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#damage).
Awesome, that's what I was looking for. :smallsmile:

Sure.

Monk4/Fighter1/Fist of the Forest3

Take Improved Natural Weapon

Put on a Monks Belt

Now when you headbutt someone you can deal up to 3d8 damage, not including any strength or magical bonuses.

If you take the Decisive Strike alternate Monk Class feature from PHBII you can attack once as a full round action, dealing double damage (6d8 + 2x Strength mod + 2x Magical Modifiers) but with a -2 penalty on the attack roll.
I like that a lot! :smallbiggrin: