PDA

View Full Version : SWSE - My Jedi...opinions needed!

Talya
2009-01-19, 10:03 AM
Okay, we're playing a KotOR setting game, currently ten years after the events of KotOR2. all books are available up to and including Scum & Villainy.
(He'll probably allow any non-timeline-specific items in Clone Wars when it comes out tomorrow, too.)

All of us were expected to play a Jedi in some form.
Point buy: 45
Houserules: Combined all strength skiills into "Athletics"; Combined Lightsaber Defense 1 with block and deflect, so one talent gives all three; everyone gets one extra trained skill, which may be "cross-class."

So my character as she currently stands:
Miala Trae
Human Jedi 5
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 18
Hit Points: 65 (I've rolled well.)
Trained Skills: Use the Force, Acrobatics, Athletics, Initiative, Perception

Background: It was obvious from birth Miala was small for the warrior race. She was delicate from the start, and never grew into it. She stands barely 5 feet tall. The warrior culture of the Echani told her she'd never survive as a warrior, and she flunked out of the martial arts schools that all Echani must attend. In disgrace, Miala ran away, and stowed aboard a ship to Coruscant, where she would have died on the streets, had not visiting Jedi Master Briana (the last handmaiden) sensed this force sensitive child and brought her back to the council for training. Eager to rebuild the decimated Jedi Order, they were happily taking every force sensitive that they believed could be taught, and they didn't hesitate with Miala.

Build so far:

1. -Lightsaber Defense (Block/Deflect included by houserule)
-Weapon Finesse
-Force Training
2. -Rapid Strike
3. -Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), Weapon Specialization (Lightsaber)
4. -Melee Defense
5. -{Undecided Jedi/Force talent}

Plans:
6. -Force Training(2), Skill Focus (Use the Force)
7. (Soldier 1) Counterpunch
8. (Jedi Knight 1) Ataru
9. (Melee Duelist 1) Dual Weapon Mastery 1, Dual Weapon Flourish 1
10. (Jedi Knight 2) Force Point Recovery
11. (Jedi Knight 3) Juyo
12. (Jedi Knight 4) Desperate Gambit, Improved Battle Strike
13. (Jedi Knight 5) Soresu

Special:
-Standard action attack: Primary lightsaber attack at full BAB. Secondary lightsaber attack as a free action at BAB -5.
-Melee Defense: almost always uses -1 to hit (for +6 to reflex defense with acrobatics trained). Every melee attack made against this character while melee defense is active provokes an AOO at full BAB.
-Can reroll any attack that misses, but doing so penalizes her -2 to reflex defense (-5 if she's rerolling a natural 1)

Beyond that I'm not sure which direction to move in. The Force Techniques are mostly lacklustre for lightsaber duellists, although there are several other lightsaber forms that might be worthwhile. Vapaad with Triple Crit at 15 might be worth it. There are, however, a lot of feats I would like (Improved Defenses, Martial Arts, Combat Reflexes, etc.), so more levels of soldier or jedi are actually a possibility.

I also am entirely unsure what to take for my level 5 talent which will see use right now. If I was planning very longterm I might take "Forceful Warrior" (Gain a forcepoint whenever you roll a crit), but that would require planning Vapaad with absolute certainty, and I wouldn't really see the full benefit of it for 10 more levels. (crit 19-20/x3, 4-8 chances per round to roll a crit in a duel.) I'm also not sure if I shouldn't diversify a bit, and not focus on the crits so much.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-19, 10:14 AM
You might want to consider picking up more levels of Melee Duelist for more Dual weapon Flourish.

Talya
2009-01-19, 10:25 AM
You might want to consider picking up more levels of Melee Duelist for more Dual weapon Flourish.

I'm not sure the point of that. Dual Weapon Flourish II has only one advantage over Dual Weapon Flourish I...the ability to attack two different targets with each attack. It also has a nasty disadvantage: With DWF1, the penalties for attacking with both hands apply only to your free secondary attack. With DWF2 (which requires another feat), you're taking a normal full round attack action, with full penalties applied to all attacks. You can eliminate those penalties, but that would require yet another feat, and this build is feat-hungry.

Mando Knight
2009-01-19, 12:34 PM
You may want to consider getting Force Flow from the KotOR guide, as well as the Telekinetic tree in the Core book and TFU campaign guide. With a high Wisdom and Charisma, you could easily sling stuff around and distract the opponent, like Vader did against Luke in Episode V.

Kiero
2009-01-19, 12:41 PM
While I know it's something of a tired refrain whenever anyone talks about building characters in SWSE, have you considered not starting Jedi? Especially with a human character, all you lose is the chance of getting two, rather than one instances of Force Training at first level. Particularly given you're starting at level 5 it's not like it'll affect your core conceit of having and being able to use a lightsaber.

Talya
2009-01-19, 12:47 PM
We didn't start at 5. We started at 1. We just hit 5. (Kinda hard to change now.)

If I started soldier, I'd need to take a feat to train acrobatics later, which makes the build harder, really. The DM actively discouraged us from starting something other than jedi, anyway, for his storyline purposes. (One character started soldier, as a veteran of the Sith-Jedi wars, but he was the only exception.) That's why he gave us a bonus trained skill that could be cross-class if we desired: to add some potential versatility to our Jedi skillsets.

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-19, 01:09 PM
I like it... does that mean I get cookies now? :smallsmile:

Talya
2009-01-19, 01:30 PM
I need ideas for a level 5 jedi/force talent that will be useful.