PDA

View Full Version : Playgrounders on Facebook

Andre Fairchilde
2009-01-19, 11:13 AM
Hello -

Here you know me as Andre Fairchilde, but in reality you can find me on Facebook as Jonathan DeBelly.

There are *about* 76 playgrounders that have formed/joined a Facebook group known as "Playgrounders on Facebook"

If you have an account, we welcome you to join.

AF ~

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-19, 11:15 AM
Or if you´re dutch or belgian, you can join Hyves! The dutch social networking site!

Though I don´t have any playgrounders added....

SilentNight
2009-01-19, 11:35 AM
I've got one, will be joining the group momentarially.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-19, 12:41 PM
Hi. I'm joining in a moment.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-19, 12:42 PM
I personally really like Facebook. It's a great networking tool, and I really like it for keeping in touch with college friends.

Thes Hunter
2009-01-19, 07:43 PM
My real name can be found on the playgrounders on Facebook group.

My paranoia keeps me from posting it here. =]

*wears her tin foil hat*

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-19, 07:48 PM
My real name is also on this group. I happen to be the creator. >.> *hides from angry crowd for his lack of input to the group*
If you join, be warned, I may throw you a friend request! =O

*watches as no more people join* >.>

EmeraldRose
2009-01-19, 08:11 PM
Silly Cobra. Lots of us already have you added :smallwink:

This reminds me, I haven't checked that group in ages. Maybe I will have to go and see if there are new people fo me to add as friends.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-19, 08:16 PM
there are tonnes of OoTS related groups too

Thes Hunter
2009-01-19, 08:45 PM
OotS sure... but you gotta admit the forums are the win. :smallbiggrin:

Collin152
2009-01-19, 09:03 PM
OotS sure... but you gotta admit the forums are the win. :smallbiggrin:

Yep; The Forum is a completley seperate and godly entity. And we are all parts of it. Probably cells. I bet I'm an Osteo Progenitor.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-19, 09:23 PM
I've joined! Not real big on giving out my name out to the searchbots, but I'm sure clever detectives can figure it out if they've got the urge.

Recaiden
2009-01-19, 10:32 PM
I've joined! Not real big on giving out my name out to the searchbots, but I'm sure clever detectives can figure it out if they've got the urge.

That's pretty much what I think. I've been considering getting a facebook, plus my friends offline have been bugging me about it.

RTGoodman
2009-01-19, 10:34 PM
I've been in the Playgrounders on Facebook group for a while. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, I'm in the list of officers on the right-hand side of the group's page.

EDIT: Tell me that you're from the Playground if you do send me a Friend Request, though - sometimes I get random requests from people I've literally never met and I usually don't accept those. I'm cool with Playgrounders though.

Alleine
2009-01-19, 10:47 PM
I will not join your league of evil!
/is a rebel.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-01-19, 10:59 PM
That's pretty much what I think. I've been considering getting a facebook, plus my friends offline have been bugging me about it.

It takes about a minute to get one.

I've been in the Playgrounders on Facebook group for a while. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, I'm in the list of officers on the right-hand side of the group's page.

EDIT: Tell me that you're from the Playground if you do send me a Friend Request, though - sometimes I get random requests from people I've literally never met and I usually don't accept those. I'm cool with Playgrounders though.

YES. Please let me know your GITP alias, as I will NEVER remember.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-19, 11:44 PM

Facebook is pretty terrific. It's great for keeping up with the friends you have from real life (or elsewhere) that you don't get to see very often, as well as for making plans with the ones in town. Additionally, I think that Facebook's photo album features are very well done.

Now if only I'd get off my butt to set up my account to reject goofy application requests...

Recaiden
2009-01-19, 11:53 PM
My real name is also on this group. I happen to be the creator. >.> *hides from angry crowd for his lack of input to the group*
If you join, be warned, I may throw you a friend request! =O

*watches as no more people join* >.>

Why am I not surprised. *joins*

SilentNight
2009-01-20, 01:09 AM
ANyone else find it strange how we have upwards of 33,000 Playgrounders but only eighty-something members on Facebook? Personal choice and circumstances aside.

Jack Squat
2009-01-20, 01:16 AM
ANyone else find it strange how we have upwards of 33,000 Playgrounders but only eighty-something members on Facebook? Personal choice and circumstances aside.

Not that many people go into Friendly Banter, plus it's not really advertised that there is a group. There's 216 members on the Order of the Stick group on MySpace as well.

SilentNight
2009-01-20, 01:24 AM
Not that many people go into Friendly Banter, plus it's not really advertised that there is a group. There's 216 members on the Order of the Stick group on MySpace as well.

I stand corrected then.

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 01:26 AM
That's 33,000 TOTAL members. That's not just ACTIVE members, and I know there are a lot of people that have created accounts, posted once or twice (if that!), and then disappeared. I've been meaning to ask the Mods, out of curiosity, if there's a way to actually tell use the number of active members.

Also, like Jack Squat said, not everyone in the Playground will see this, not everyone has Facebook, and not everyone that meets both qualifications will join for whatever reason.

Sneak
2009-01-20, 01:32 AM
Maybe I'll join tomorrow. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in.

Time now sleep (words, sorry mixed get up tired I'm when).

DrakebloodIV
2009-01-20, 01:35 AM
Hullo, you find me on Nosebook as Markus Leben (although I'm trying to get my last name changed to the sexy and amazing)

SweetLikeLemons
2009-01-20, 01:36 AM
There is also the whole real name issue. It kind of ruins the whole "hiding behind a forum persona" thing.

Skippy
2009-01-20, 01:36 AM
Thanks to Mauve Shirt my Facebook is just a neverending list of funny memetic thingies...

Sneak
2009-01-20, 01:38 AM
There is also the whole real name issue. It kind of ruins the whole "hiding behind a forum persona" thing.

Eh, it's pretty easy to fake your name on the old febbfeb if you REALLY don't want people to know your real name. I had my name as "Justin Credible" for a while. Of course, that didn't have anything to do with hiding my real name. It was just the truth.

Okay, okay, I'm really going to bed now.

Maybe.

Sereg
2009-01-20, 02:43 AM
All right, I just joined. Of course, I spend more time here but oh well.

Icewalker
2009-01-20, 03:08 AM
Joined up, good stuff.

I need to spend more times on the forum. I've been busy with my large-scale dnd project...

banjo1985
2009-01-20, 04:56 AM
Joining now. I have no issues with my name coming out, it's not as if I'm called 'Algernon Wobblebottom' or anything.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend though, please let me know you're from the playground. I tend to just ignore requests from people I don't recognise. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT - It appears I am the 100th member...cool.

Archonic Energy
2009-01-20, 07:38 AM
*wears her tin foil hat*

*Deploys Tin foil hat beating orbital mind control device*

Charity
2009-01-20, 09:09 AM
You are pointing that thing the wrong way!
*continues to can-can round the office*

SilentNight
2009-01-20, 10:16 AM
Joined up, good stuff.

I need to spend more times on the forum. I've been busy with my large-scale dnd project...

Finished soon I hope?

skywalker
2009-01-21, 02:11 AM
Hm. I've been on facebook quite a while, saw the group, may have even been a member at some point. Am friends with Cobra.

Unfortunately, I shall not be (re-?)joining the group. You see, I like for people looking on facebook not to know everything about me at first blush.

One of those things I tend to keep rather close to the vest is my membership in a geek forum.

:smallfrown:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-21, 02:18 AM
I has joined. You may bow to me, now.

I kid.
But yes, I joined the group, for I am on the Book of the Face-type variety.

SDF
2009-01-21, 02:20 AM
One of those things I tend to keep rather close to the vest is my membership in a geek forum.

:smallfrown:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I've been a member of the group for a while... so yeah I'm there. :smalltongue:

Phaedra
2009-01-21, 09:37 AM
Hmmm, this intrigues me. But... then you'd all know my real name and where I am, and my paranoia is worried by this...

*takes tin foil hat and sits in corner, paralysed by indecision*

Haruki-kun
2009-01-21, 10:23 AM
.....<.<

I have a sudden urge to make an account just for this..... but I don't want all the real-life people adding me and tagging me and stuff..... and I don't like uploading pictures of me......

EmeraldRose
2009-01-21, 10:36 AM
Ruki, you can do like me and just use one of your avvies. I'm much happier with that up than with a real picture of me. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-21, 10:36 AM
Ruki, you can do like me and just use one of your avvies. I'm much happier with that up than with a real picture of me. :smallwink:
*plans on doing that and stalking everybody on Facebook*

Haruki-kun
2009-01-21, 10:38 AM

Heh... I'll think about it. Is there a way to block out anyone and everyone I know from reality? I don't like my Internet Life and my Real Life to mix...

Jack Squat
2009-01-21, 10:45 AM
Heh... I'll think about it. Is there a way to block out anyone and everyone I know from reality? I don't like my Internet Life and my Real Life to mix...

You could just not accept them as friends and make your profile private. That makes it look like you really just don't get on. I'm sure there's some setting you could tweak, but I haven't really messed around with it.

EmeraldRose
2009-01-21, 10:46 AM
You can allow only people you've invited as friends to see your page. You could probably even make your name Haruki Kun or something. There's lots of people with semi real names.

Haruki-kun
2009-01-21, 10:48 AM
You can allow only people you've invited as friends to see your page. You could probably even make your name Haruki Kun or something. There's lots of people with semi real names.

The problem is that people know my nickname IRL, probably because it's on my MSN and such.

Well, I'll give it a lot of thought and stuff....

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-21, 10:51 AM
.....<.<

I have a sudden urge to make an account just for this..... but I don't want all the real-life people adding me and tagging me and stuff..... and I don't like uploading pictures of me......

Use an avvie like i do and make your name Haruki kun.

you may want to make a separate email account specifically for FB though.

Cuz my mom found me on it using my email address. *WHIMPER*

^ Then use a different nickname.

Angelboy AMENite or Chain Chomp or Atreyu Llama or Moocow McMilksquirt or something. Be creative!!

Haruki-kun
2009-01-21, 10:54 AM
Use an avvie like i do and make your name Haruki kun.

you may want to make a separate email account specifically for FB though.

Cuz my mom found me on it using my email address. *WHIMPER*

^ Then use a different nickname.

Angelboy AMENite or Chain Chomp or Atreyu Llama or Moocow McMilksquirt or something. Be creative!!

=O

Tha COULD be the solution I need. And then I'll just delete all my history every time I use it and stuff so that people won't notice!

.......I really have issues.

EmeraldRose
2009-01-21, 10:56 AM
You can set your account to not put anything up on your wall, and seriously you can restrict it to only yourself reading what you've been up to if you want.

And we won't tell your RL friends about your new secret. :smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-21, 11:00 AM
Okay, if my work here is done, then I'm gonna go head on out of here now. I'm kind of a facebook hermitand keep a very small friends list. Don't want a bunch of playgrounders thinking I'm an arseface cuz I didn't friend them.

banjo1985
2009-01-21, 11:06 AM
On the contrary, I am an actual arseface because I don't add anyone, I wait for a request then accept it...I'm just lazy AND unpleasant. :smalltongue:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-21, 11:11 AM
I usually don't even accept requests. I like you guys, but the bigger my facebook the more overwhelmed I get, plus often people use their real names and i don't know who you people are so I get stuff like "Charles Smith is feeling afraid that his lunch wasn't properly prepared" and I'm all like "Who the shock is Charles Smith??"

so I tend to keep my list really small.

Headless_Ninja
2009-01-21, 11:48 AM
Joined! Am Richard Gough. Not sure if I'll be adding ye...

Thufir
2009-01-22, 08:25 AM
I'm on there, in the group...
I'm fairly lazy about adding facebook friends, I tend to not bother for ages then add several all at once, so I haven't gotten round to adding any playgrounders myself yet.
However any who add me will be accepted.

Recaiden
2009-01-22, 08:30 AM
*Deploys Tin foil hat beating orbital mind control device*

*turns towards Phaedra*

You don't have to add any people you know offline. You could pretend to bbe "the other" whatever your name is. One of my friends has 11-12 other people with the same name. So they'd never know it was really you.

Archonic Energy
2009-01-22, 10:18 AM
*turns towards Phaedra*

You don't have to add any people you know offline. You could pretend to bbe "the other" whatever your name is. One of my friends has 11-12 other people with the same name. So they'd never know it was really you.

That's Right my mind slave...
say exactly what i told you to say!
:smallwink:

Charity
2009-01-22, 10:32 AM
On the contrary, I am an actual arseface because I don't add anyone, I wait for a request then accept it...I'm just lazy AND unpleasant. :smalltongue:

Sadly we are thus doomed to never meet on facebook... I too never add anyone, but generally cos I figure you dont want some old codger on your facebook... and the lazything, very much that too.

banjo1985
2009-01-22, 10:50 AM
Fair enough, we can just glare at each other over the metaphorical fence. :smallbiggrin:

TwoBitWriter
2009-01-22, 10:53 AM
I want everybody there to friend me! :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2009-01-22, 11:13 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44275000/jpg/_44275173_fans_getty416.jpg

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-22, 11:44 AM
Sadly we are thus doomed to never meet on facebook... I too never add anyone, but generally cos I figure you dont want some old codger on your facebook... and the lazything, very much that too.

My grandfather's on facebook. Surely you're younger than he is. =P

KilltheToy
2009-01-22, 11:49 AM
Playgrounders on Facebook? And you didn't tell me?

I feel so left out :smallfrown: :smallbiggrin:. I will be joining before tomorrow.

banjo1985
2009-01-22, 11:54 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44275000/jpg/_44275173_fans_getty416.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z175/banjo_the_clown/1207BL_inlaw_inline1.jpg

"Waht you two lookin' at?"

...it appears your googlefu is superior. :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2009-01-22, 12:00 PM
Facebook is really cool, yeah. And there's a lot of friendly playgrounders there, which is cool.

Now, here come my 2 cents. I tend to think that having an account in Facebook where you hide your true identity behind a pseudonym or aptly enough, hide your face, is missing the point. I think there's a lot of places in the net where you can go with a nickname and some random pic. I don't think Facebook is for that.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's my opinion.

For anyone who wants to add me, I'm Felipe Diaz Legaspe. Same person here than there.

Jonesh
2009-01-22, 02:51 PM
Hey, I'm signed on to Facebook right now :smallcool: I'll join right away, but if you want to friend me please tell me that you are from the Playground and do at least try to talk to me a little. I already have enough "friends" I don't talk to :smallredface:

Ranna
2009-01-22, 05:43 PM
I find that facebook is used for little more than riduicle of the latest pictures some knobbin has posted of you..

well that's what happens to me anyways, Anne-Marie Watson - liverpool at your service :)

Coplantor
2009-01-22, 08:56 PM
I have a facebook account, it was mauvey who convinced me to get a facebook. I rarely log unless I'm bored during classes (shhhhh!). Anyway, the first thing I ever did with facebook was joining the playgrounders on facebook group so I'm right there, add me to your contacts if you want, I posted my name there but somehow it feels wierd to post it here.

Sneak
2009-01-22, 08:58 PM
Eh, I joined.

Coidzor
2009-01-22, 09:08 PM
*walks in*
*backs away slowly*

xyzzy
2009-01-22, 11:17 PM
Eh, I'm only in a few hundred groups already, why not join this one?

Coincidentally, you can go check the "what's your username?" thread if you're interested in finding out who I am. Let the ctrl+f guide you!

Serpentine
2009-01-22, 11:35 PM
Well, there's already been a minor altercation between a Playgrounder and a real-life friend :smallcool:
Oh, Than, don't get too worked up about him. He's a good guy, really. I know his beliefs and prejudices *shrug*

Cynan Machae
2009-01-22, 11:44 PM
There, joined.

Haruki-kun
2009-01-22, 11:47 PM
Me too.

.........HOLY CRAP! This thing is evil! It's showing me people's real names! NOOOOO!!!!!

Recaiden
2009-01-22, 11:59 PM
Me too.

.........HOLY CRAP! This thing is evil! It's showing me people's real names! NOOOOO!!!!!

Calm down. It can't hurt you. much

RTGoodman
2009-01-23, 12:09 AM
Calm down. It can't hurt you. much

But it can surprise you. Several times I've gone, "Wait, who the crap do I know in Mexico? Oh, wait, it's just Skippy" or something similar with Cobra or whoever all else.

EDIT: By the way, there's also the "I Want to Join the Order of the Stick" (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204836969) group if anyone isn't a member of that.

FdL
2009-01-23, 12:11 AM
Me too.

Heh, that's precisely the deal. In exchange, you show your real name :) It's pretty fair.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-23, 12:14 AM
Heeheeheeheehee *goes to facefriend all of the new playgrounders*

skywalker
2009-01-23, 12:38 AM
Eh, I'm only in a few hundred groups already, why not join this one?

Coincidentally, you can go check the "what's your username?" thread if you're interested in finding out who I am. Let the ctrl+f guide you!

Did you know they actually capped the number of groups you can be in? If you were over the cap before they capped it, then whatever groups you were in, you stayed in all of them, but if you ever left one, you couldn't go back until you left enough to go below it. I think the number was 200...

I only think I'm in about 12 groups... Let's see...

10. The number is 10.

xyzzy
2009-01-23, 12:49 AM
Did you know they actually capped the number of groups you can be in? If you were over the cap before they capped it, then whatever groups you were in, you stayed in all of them, but if you ever left one, you couldn't go back until you left enough to go below it. I think the number was 200...

I only think I'm in about 12 groups... Let's see...

10. The number is 10.

Apparently I'm in 63. I could probably cut back on some of those. I mean, 1,000,000 Strong For Stephen Colbert was fun when it got to 1,000,000, but it's not really worth having there now.

And yet I'm too lazy.

banjo1985
2009-01-23, 04:48 AM
Me too.

Boooo! :smalltongue:

I find it fun trying to work out who's who. It's also good to find out there are other Playgrounders in England rather than just me and Vampiric. :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2009-01-23, 04:56 AM
No no, you are the only two.

potatocubed
2009-01-23, 05:03 AM
It's true. All the other people at those UKitP meets are just hallucinations.

banjo1985
2009-01-23, 05:13 AM
Okay, let me validate that statement:

"The only other UK bod I've managed to identify on Facebook." :smalltongue:

Anyway Charity, I thought you were from Pluto?

Archonic Energy
2009-01-23, 05:31 AM
Okay, let me validate that statement:

"The only other UK bod I've managed to identify on Facebook." :smalltongue:

Anyway Charity, I thought you were from Pluto?

*cough* heh hmmm.

Insert Name Here
2009-01-23, 11:51 PM
Well, I'm in (Daniel West). There's a certain dissonance it creates, though, especially since there's the virtual covers on here and in WoW. And much less there. Well, mostly.

Haruki-kun
2009-01-23, 11:56 PM
Boooo! :smalltongue:

I find it fun trying to work out who's who. It's also good to find out there are other Playgrounders in England rather than just me and Vampiric. :smallbiggrin:

You mean like, Curly or Salmon or Happy, Bath, Cassie, Exy, Kae.... yeah, I think we did know of a few....

@FdL: PFFT! No real name for you! :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2009-01-24, 12:43 AM
I've signed up. I stated my real name over there, and the profile pic I have over there should be a strong clue. I'm just paranoid enough I'm not typing it here. :smallwink:

Phaedra
2009-01-24, 02:18 PM
*turns towards Phaedra*

Oh, I already have a Facebook account. I'd have to create a different account to keep you guys separate from my offline folks. Possible, I suppose. I'll ponder this.

jazz1m
2009-01-24, 06:06 PM
Cool, I've been using facebook (as people may tell by the link in my sig) so if you're a facebooker, become a fan and you can friend me too :) Jasmine Greene NYU