PDA

View Full Version : [Creature-MitP] Nasty, Brutish, and Short

belboz
2006-09-10, 01:59 AM
Taking a little break from CUTE to do a normal monster. I'm terrible with CRs; please help.

Blacktoad
Small Outsider [native]
Hit Dice: 7d8 + 21 (52 HP)
Iniative: +5
Speed: 20ft
AC: 19 (+1 size, +2 dex, +4 natural, +2 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Base attack/grapple: +7/+3
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d6 + 3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d6 + 3) and bite +2 melee (1d10 + 5)
Space/reach:5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Blacktoad rot
Special Qualities: Outsider traits, slick, undead-type immunities, damage reduction 5/magic
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Jump 11, Spot 13, Listen 13, Hide 12, Move Silently 12
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Pod (3-12)
Challenge rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: None
LA: -

Blacktoads are squat, amphibian-like horrors that live in tropical jungles. Many experts believe that blacktoads at one point had a connection with the Negative Material Plane, but now they pose a danger to explorers of even terrestrial jungles.

A blacktoad is, indeed, roughly shaped like a giant toad, but their bodies are the deepest obsidian black. They might, in fact, resemble nothing so much as toad-shaped voids, except that they are entirely covered with an oily substance that reflects the light.

Blacktoads possess a rudimentary communication system that allows them to fight cooperatively, but they speak no true language.

Combat

Blacktoads are cowardly fighters, easily frightened when cornered but aggressive in packs. When they spot or hear potential prey, they attempt to surround it unnoticed, and gain surprise by jumping from cover simultaneously.

Blacktoad rot (su): The oil covering a blacktoad is actually a highly infectious substance. Any creature bitten or clawed by a blacktoad, or any creature that touches its skin (such as with an unprotected touch or unarmed attack) must make a fortitude save (DC 17) or become infected with the disease Blacktoad Rot (see below).

Slick (ex): The oil surrounding a blacktoad makes it immune from grapples and any effect (such as Web or Entangle) that needs to adhere to the target.

Undead-type immunities (su): Because of a blacktoad's connection to the Negative Material Plane, a blacktoad is immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, physical ability damage, fatigue, and exhaustion. Blacktoads are not undead, however, and cannot be turned or specifically affected by spells that target undead.

Blacktoad rot:

Blacktoad rot begins its appearence as a tiny black spot at the site of infection. As the disease progresses, an expanding patch of the victim's skin turns pitch-black and begins to secrete the same infectious oil found on blacktoads themselves. The patch grows in proportion to the victim's impairment; by the time the disease kills, the victim's entire body resembles a blacktoad's in coloration and texture.

The incubation period for blacktoad rot is 24 hours. Instead of dealing ability damage, the victim gains a negative level each day (and must make a Fort save, DC 17, to remove the previous day's negative level rather than have it convert to experience loss). Restoration and Greater Restoration can reverse, but not cure, the disease. The disease can be cured by a Heal spell, or by Remove Disease cast with CL 7 or higher, although this will not remove negative levels already gained.

Any character making skin contact with a patch of blacktoad rot must make a Fort save (DC 17) or become infected themselves. An entire blacktoad rot corpse is infectious for 24 hours. Blacktoads, themselves immune to blacktoad rot, will eat such corpses in this time period, although most other scavengers know instinctively to avoid them. If not destroyed within 24 hours, the corpse rises as a wight.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 04:17 PM
I like them.

It's tough to judge a CR. Lacking a ranged attack and with a speed of 20, a party should be able to keep them at distance and quickly pare down their modest hit points.

However, in melee they're trouble, with the disease - and particularly problematic is the undead immunities without undead vulnerabilities.

I'm guessing a CR of around 4? Maybe 5?

MitP Vote: Yes

-Lep

belboz
2006-09-10, 04:33 PM
Thanks!

Yes, if the party can keep these guys at bay, they should be pretty easy to pick at with range. No particular resistance to most spells, and easy to hit with magic ranged weapons. And, since their speed is low, it should be really easy to do that with a *single* blacktoad.

The trick, of course, is what to do if *multiple* blacktoads manage to surround you (which they won't, if you have a really good spotter/listener, but better make sure they're on watch at night). Most battlefield control tactics won't work on them because of their various immunities; probably the best thing to do will be to just break through the circle--although then, they get a single melee AoO, of course, unless you have ways to prevent that. Once you're out, it becomes easy again--keep outrunning them and firing away at range.

I'll incorporate your CR suggestion, though maybe at the higher end. Again, thank you!

Randomman413
2006-09-10, 04:44 PM
MitP Vote: Very yes.

belboz
2006-09-12, 04:38 PM
Thank you!

Edit: You know, I think I forgot entirely about quadruple skill points for the first die, which means I cheated the old toad out of 15 skill points. I'm going to go back and fix that now; hope it doesn't invalidate the "yes" votes I've already gotten.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I'd say a CR of 5 is dead on.

Very interesting creature, and I like the blacktoad rot. Might want to use a standard stat block however.

belboz
2006-09-15, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'd say a CR of 5 is dead on.

Very interesting creature, and I like the blacktoad rot. Might want to use a standard stat block however.

Oops! I thought I did. I'll check again.

Dang. I use the same template for all my monsters, so if this one isn't standard, it means they're *all* broken.

...or did you mean a standard stat block for the *disease*.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-15, 02:22 PM
Basically as soon as you get past Feats everything gets wonky. Is normally listed as:

Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Oh, and for the enviroment entry, jungles are listed as Warm Forest.

Nitpick: HP is also 52 and Saves are backwards:

Saves: +8 Fort, +6 Ref, +6 Will

should be

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +6

belboz
2006-09-15, 06:51 PM
Thanks! I also realized that they were missing one feat, so I gave them Combat Reflexes and upped their Dex by 2 points to make it more useful (also giving them another point of AC and Ref save, of course). I trust this doesn't change the CR significantly.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-10-15, 08:39 PM
MitP vote: Yes