PDA

View Full Version : Playing an infiltrator

Froogleyboy
2009-01-19, 12:56 PM
does anyone have any tactical advice for a first lvl infiltrator with the Stealthy, Personal firearms, and simple weapons feats.

Heliomance
2009-01-19, 01:55 PM
It would vastly help if you put the system you were playing in the thread title. I believe the attitude around here is assume D&D 3.5 unless otherwise stated. You need to make it clear that you're playing d20 Modern, or whatever it is.

Froogleyboy
2009-01-19, 02:08 PM
So just because I didn't put [D20 Modern] you refuse to help

Townopolis
2009-01-19, 02:54 PM
People who can help you probably won't check the thread.

People who haven't a clue how to even begin to possibly give some tentative advice that might be of some use, but probably not, will check this thread, shrug their shoulders, and leave.

I am one of the latter. Putting [D20 Modern] in the thread title will help greatly in actually getting people who can help you to click on the thread in the first place.

Jimp
2009-01-19, 03:22 PM
Infiltrate. That's about it really. Use your skills when appropriate and stay out of melee. Otherwise roleplay as normal.

Heliomance
2009-01-19, 03:56 PM

No, I won't help because I don't have the first clue about d20 Modern. As Lordsmoothe said, people that do know d20 Modern won't check this thread because they'll assume it's D&D 3.5. Putting the system in the title ensures that the people that actually have a sodding clue what they're talking about look at your thread. If no-one that knows d20 Modern looks at the thread, you won't get any help, it's as simple as that. If you want help, attract the right people by signposting what sort of help you need. It's common sense.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2009-01-19, 11:40 PM
Keep your "rogue" skills high. Hide, Move Silently, Disable Device, Search, Spot, Listen etc. You are the sneakiest. I can't remember off the top of my head if you get social skills like Bluff or Diplomacy, but if you do you might want to pick up at least Bluff so you can talk your way past suspicious guards.

Agile Riposte, which gives you a free attack when a opponent misses you in melee combat, is nice for comabt situations. I can't recall how often you can use it, however, and I don't have the book handy. It may have the same restrictions as Combat Reflexes, which I believe is a prerequisite. Combine it with a high AC, and you're doing pretty well. This worked for me an a fast/infiltrator I played back in the early days of d20 modern. Still, staying out of fights should be your primary goal. That or killing your enemy before they even know they're in a fight.

-Blue

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-20, 12:26 AM
No, I won't help because I don't have the first clue about d20 Modern. As Lordsmoothe said, people that do know d20 Modern won't check this thread because they'll assume it's D&D 3.5. Putting the system in the title ensures that the people that actually have a sodding clue what they're talking about look at your thread. If no-one that knows d20 Modern looks at the thread, you won't get any help, it's as simple as that. If you want help, attract the right people by signposting what sort of help you need. It's common sense.

Exactly. By not making your subject clear, you waste the time of people that can't help you and avoid the attention of people who do. It's a lose-lose proposition.

newbDM
2009-01-20, 01:13 AM

Well, it's either that, or do varying amounts of work in the hopes it was the system you are using, so you do not simply discard it because it is of no use to you.

That is exactly like me asking "Please help me optimize my character", yet I tell no one what game/system/edition/etc the character is intended for.