PDA

View Full Version : Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax

The Neoclassic
2009-01-19, 02:21 PM
Ever feel like this? (http://xkcd.com/386/)

So, here's to trying out a thread for just calming down, having no arguments, and generally having a place to relax. Feel free to talk about your stress, what fun things you are planning on doing later, and what you wish you were doing. Sharing techniques that you find help you calm down, or just amusing anecdotes to brighten people's days are also welcome. The only thing I ask that people not discuss is the specifics of "This person was wrong on the internet here and this is why it made me upset": That will likely only lead to more stress, which is not what we need. :smallsmile:

I shall begin:

I get too wound up in caring how other people think games should be run, even though I know the people I play with are very happy with my interpretation, and what I should be worrying about is how to better optimize their opponents and weave plots! In a hour, though, I shall watch the last episode of Firefly with a friend, which should be fun (though sad, since it is the last episode). I wish that I had some ice cream right now, as that almost always makes me feel better and calmer.

Canadian
2009-01-19, 02:48 PM
Yeah. I've done that. I might type some stuff to get a jab in. Still, I've seen people at the internet cafe throw keyboards across the room because somebody on the game server owned them. That's extreme.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 02:51 PM
Ever feel like this? (http://xkcd.com/386/)

So, here's to trying out a thread for just calming down, having no arguments, and generally having a place to relax. Feel free to talk about your stress, what fun things you are planning on doing later, and what you wish you were doing. Sharing techniques that you find help you calm down, or just amusing anecdotes to brighten people's days are also welcome. The only thing I ask that people not discuss is the specifics of "This person was wrong on the internet here and this is why it made me upset": That will likely only lead to more stress, which is not what we need. :smallsmile:

I shall begin:

I get too wound up in caring how other people think games should be run, even though I know the people I play with are very happy with my interpretation, and what I should be worrying about is how to better optimize their opponents and weave plots! In a hour, though, I shall watch the last episode of Firefly with a friend, which should be fun (though sad, since it is the last episode). I wish that I had some ice cream right now, as that almost always makes me feel better and calmer.

Your wrong. The internet is precisely the place to have petty arguments, all the time, and everywhere, and you're a poopy-head who makes me rage for saying otherwise.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-19, 02:56 PM
Your wrong. The internet is precisely the place to have petty arguments, all the time, and everywhere, and you're a poopy-head who makes me rage for saying otherwise.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or correct your grammar.

@ Canadian: Welcome! Indeed, that is extreme. Some gamers take their games ridiculously seriously... :smalleek:

FdL
2009-01-19, 02:58 PM
Yes, I get that a lot. Too much really. I'm trying to find ways to cope. That is, don't get riled up about it or avoid exposure to stuff that gets me in that way.

I get it a lot in forums. I get it a lot here, since it's one of the forums I read most. The fact that I don't agree with a lot of stuff that happens here is the main cause of me not posting a lot. And on the other hand, I feel that the same fact means that this is not a place I should be.

I try to be open minded. But then stuff gets to me in a way I can't handle, which results in me getting angry and lashing out, and in a general bad mood.

To relate to the OP, one of the topics that irritates me most is D&D and the differences in playing/running style, and above all the edition wars between 3.5 and 4e. I'm partial to 4e, so it's hard for me being in a minority.

Then again, I do have a tendency to "take the less travelld path" in regards to my tastes and opinions. Which makes it all worse. It's not something I do on purpose, it's just something that's part of me and has to do with who I am.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 03:05 PM

Why you laugh at me? :smallmad::smallmad::smallmad:

Also, its silly to correct people's grammar.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-19, 03:08 PM
Why you laugh at me? :smallmad::smallmad::smallmad:

Also, its silly to correct people's grammar.

I realize that you are trying to be amusing, but honestly this is just making me stressed again, considering this is similar to how many arguments start, so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't continue this banter. :smallfrown:

Canadian
2009-01-19, 03:13 PM
That's true... The grammar shot was sarcastic. Pointing out that their spelling or grammar is "wrong" goes against the very spirit of this thread, even as a joke. As does what I have just typed.
:smallsmile:

FdL
2009-01-19, 03:18 PM
This was a good, interesting topic about something that affects me personally and I think that others too. Please take it seriously and don't derail it.

Don't give me more reasons to think that it's no use trying to talk on forums than I already have.

Canadian
2009-01-19, 03:28 PM
Forum discussion usually results in frustration because people don't discuss flat facts. There's no reason to discuss something that everyone knows and agrees upon. You can't really have a discussion without disagreement.

People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand. It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.

People try to steer the conversation in a direction that will ensure a "win" even if it does not add to the discussion at hand. If someone sees that they are "losing" the discussion they turn to emotional prodding to obtain a different kind of victory.

Can anyone ever "win" at the internet?

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 03:39 PM
And that, my friends, is the problem. A single post written that's dripping in errors, is silly and petty to the extent that you know it's written in jest - well, there's some quality to the internet that magnifies those things (go to any Youtube comments section and you'll see what I'm saying), and the best course of action is to take a more laidback and relaxed attitude to it. Like here:

This was a good, interesting topic about something that affects me personally and I think that others too. Please take it seriously and don't derail it.

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of

Forum discussion usually results in frustration because people don't discuss flat facts. There's no reason to discuss something that everyone knows and agrees upon. You can't really have a discussion without disagreement. People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand.

Believe me, people on the internet can and will discuss flat facts, and other utterly weird, crazy topics - indeed, I recently viewed a severely heated debate as to who would make the better rapper - Sonic or Mario. So yeah, the net's a weird place.

It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.

:smalleek:

Depends on one's definition of 'win', just as with arguments. I could be very persuasive and connive the Playground into thinking that 2+2=5 - if they had been shifted to my position via my sophistry, then I would have 'won' the argument, but by using some severely dodgy measures - would that count as 'winning'?

Canadian
2009-01-19, 03:49 PM
I don't know...

Why don't you open up a 2+2=5 thread and let me know.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 03:51 PM
Well, I certainly haven't seen enough MATHEMATICS! compared to SCIENCE! threads ...

... but it was a hypothetical scenario. You know what I mean vis a vis 2+2=5.

FdL
2009-01-19, 03:58 PM
If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of

Please do go on.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 04:03 PM
Curses - my propensity to idly graze through the posts I am replying to, and not actually finish what I'm typing, strikes again. Let's try again:

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of involvement with what's happening. It's all too easy - and I speak from personal experience - to get caught up in things personally, and lose perspective. Just my $0.02, and probably worthless as a result.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-19, 04:10 PM

If hilarity ensues, "win" is accomplished.

FdL
2009-01-19, 04:16 PM
Curses - my propensity to idly graze through the posts I am replying to, and not actually finish what I'm typing, strikes again. Let's try again:

Heh, happens to me too :)

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of involvement with what's happening. It's all too easy - and I speak from personal experience - to get caught up in things personally, and lose perspective. Just my $0.02, and probably worthless as a result.

Sure, that is exactly what I meant in my post. There is though, a tension between trying to explain one's subjective opinion and on the other hand trying to be detached and objective about it. It's a difficult balance to achieve. If I didn't care about what I post, I certainly wouldn't do it.

But you're right, one must be the one in control, and not let yourself get too much into it.

Sneak
2009-01-19, 04:17 PM

Well, if you really think that way, then I'm afraid the gnome in your apple's nostril will

Lighten up, guys. Illiterate Scribe was just joking with his first post (and I thought it was mildly entertaining), and you all seem to be taking it seriously. I know, I know, this is the "internet" and all that, but a tongue smiley still doesn't have to be placed after every non-serious comment, right?

Right?

:smalltongue:

Also I find the content of this thread remarkably ironic given the first post. :smalltongue:

Honestly? I enjoy a good argument every once in a while. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's fun. Of course, that doesn't mean that you should be a jerk all the time and never respect other people's opinions, but there's nothing inherently wrong with sharing your ideas with others and asking them to clarify theirs.

Also, brought to you from your local random banter. A surefire way to relax:

@Wolfbane: Ahh, relaxing. My favorite thing to do to relax is lie down on the grass, listen to Iron & Wine, and play Tetris. Too bad it's so cold out now.

Hey, I should start a Tetris commune! Who's with me? :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-01-19, 04:19 PM
I relax by sitting down in a comfy chair and reading a good book.

Canadian
2009-01-19, 04:22 PM
I relax by sitting down uncomfortably and reading a book upside down.

However, I do not disagree with your method. We are both unique and special.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-19, 04:34 PM
I relax by poking the internet, usually gitp, with a stick!

Fredthefighter
2009-01-19, 04:43 PM
I used to relax by taking wooden sticks out of my Grandad's shed and pretending they were swords, I would then fight foul beasts. It also got rid of any anger I had.

Sneak
2009-01-19, 04:55 PM
Oh, when I'm angry I tend to just bottle things up. You know, the healthy way. :smalltongue:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-19, 05:07 PM
Heh, I knew this might get a bit... well, unrelaxing, heh. Nothing goes smoothly as planned.

Fred, I agree that a good book is an excellent way to relax! Any good, nondepressing ones you can recommend?

Mx.Silver
2009-01-19, 05:31 PM
I generally have discussions as a way to unwind and work off steam. Sure, it get a bit frustrating if you're up against someone who just won't even try to be reasonable about things, but overall I find it fun and useful to put my opinions to the test every now and then.

As for relaxing in general: baths. Baths are awesome. Fact!:smallwink:

People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand. It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.
Given the 'flat fact' that the ancient greeks had formal debates I'm going to have to dispute your assertion that try to win an argument is an American thing. It's also a little discourteuos to us non-Americans too, as well as just generally playing to a stereotype.

Quincunx
2009-01-19, 05:48 PM
If hilarity ensues, "win" is accomplished.

Wise words. Broaden your definition of what's funny and you will be able to feast upon much more win. Verbal pratfalls are as funny as faulty syllogisms, which are as funny as a picture (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/micha1975/keyboard.gif) which is worth a thousand flame-wars.

The win condition is a sort of all-inclusive neutrality, and while you may be huddled on a mountain-top of win, you can't actually move a foot away from it to claim the win, or you lose the spot.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 05:53 PM
Heh, I knew this might get a bit... well, unrelaxing, heh. Nothing goes smoothly as planned.

Xom strikes again!

Haven
2009-01-19, 06:55 PM

Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax

I lol'd.

As for relaxation: I have to admit, lately I've been thinking about taking up smoking. This is almost certainly a terrible idea.

Anyway, instead of that: TVTropes and cartoons on youtube (or what have you). Oh TVTropes, why would I ever need another drug...

Rei_Jin
2009-01-19, 07:06 PM
Heh, I used to get wound up about the internet, but then I remembered that every time I think someone else is wrong and dumb and a waste of space, I remember how many times I've been wrong and dumb and a waste of space, and that it really doesn't matter.

Then I sigh, and go back to playing with pure mathematics. Ah, maths. You're either a 1 or you're not. There's no ambiguity there!

And no-one bring up quantam, or else I might explode.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-19, 07:10 PM

Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax

I lol'd.

You may lol, but I see what you did there.

Heh, I used to get wound up about the internet, but then I remembered that every time I think someone else is wrong and dumb and a waste of space, I remember how many times I've been wrong and dumb and a waste of space, and that it really doesn't matter.

Then I sigh, and go back to playing with pure mathematics. Ah, maths. You're either a 1 or you're not. There's no ambiguity there!

And no-one bring up quantam, or else I might explode.

sup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godel%27s_incompleteness_theorem)

FdL
2009-01-19, 07:25 PM
As for relaxing in general: baths. Baths are awesome. Fact!:smallwink:

You know, this is true. Showers work too. They never fail to make me feel better. Phisically and then as a consequence mentally.

Player_Zero
2009-01-20, 06:14 AM
Sup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godel%27s_incompleteness_theorem)

1: Assume arithmetical statement.
2: ???
3: Profit.

It's true, I can assume it. Ya' know how the American justice system works? it's kinda' like that.

Meaning everything remains absolute.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-20, 07:37 AM
Hehehe... that XKCD comic is one of my favorites (second to "My Hobby: collecting double takes"), particularly because of how strongly it applies to me. Over the last several years I've probably lost several months of sleep due to staying up 'just a bit longer' to articulate my point in a political, scientific, or philosophical argument against some deplorable lot of ignorant jerks.

Over time, I've become less personally invested in these arguments because I realize that if I'm usually not prepared to concede a point, then the other strong parties in the discussion probably aren't either. And so I've shaped the way I make wage my forum wars - while I still fight to win, or at least make the other guy look like a drooling dope, I'm more concerned with swaying the thoughts and opinions of the people who don't yet have their minds made up. If I'm on an Evil Overlords website, I'll never be able to convince Emperor Ming that his methods may have been flawed, but I'll bet that I can get a large percentage of the other would-be overlords reading that thread to come over to my side of the table. Victory through attrition, friends. The other way to win is by baiting the other guy into losing his (almost always male) cool and starting to curse and call me or my argument names. Then he looks like a hot-headed loon and loses because no one wants to be associated with someone like that. Yes, I realize that this is an underhanded, dishonorable tactic. :smalltongue:

Anyway, how do I relax after a few hours of hand-to-hand battle in the trenches of the cybertubes? Usually it's by relenting and going upstairs to snuggle with my wife, but during the day I can find solace in they gym or practicing kata. Playing Soul Calibur with some friends can be wonderfully cathartic as well.

Faceist
2009-01-20, 10:06 AM
My method of letting off steam involves going on the internet and unnecessarily antagonizing people.

Wait a minute - Statue of Liberty - that was our planet!

http://www.impossiblefunky.com/images/archives/issue_10/ape_taylor.jpg

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-20, 11:50 AM
1: Assume arithmetical statement.
2: ???
3: Profit.

It's true, I can assume it. Ya' know how the American justice system works? it's kinda' like that.

Meaning everything remains absolute.

Ah, but the problem lies with the word 'assume'. No more 'I have access to a Ding an sich world of mathematics' for you, mathematicians!

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 12:41 PM
Over time, I've become less personally invested in these arguments because I realize that if I'm usually not prepared to concede a point, then the other strong parties in the discussion probably aren't either.

Aye, aye... And without concessions, arguments can't really go anywhere except ugly.

Baths are nice, though I am partial to long showers myself.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-20, 06:36 PM
At the moment, I'm actaully not stressed with homework for once, which is a good thing, but rather with my own personal issues. I have a diet log from home that I've neglected to write in for the past week, and even if I did write in it it wouldn't be pretty. First week back at college can do that to you. I've also neglected to exercise as I've been working to get back in the schoolwork groove. And I spent all of Sunday night, until Monday morning playing a flash game when I should've gotten some sleep.

If my mom found out about this she'd be very dissapointed. She's coming to visit this weekend, so I'm starting to worry that I'll get into trouble.:smallfrown:

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-21, 02:27 AM
And I spent all of Sunday night, until Monday morning playing a flash game when I should've gotten some sleep.

If my mom found out about this she'd be very dissapointed. She's coming to visit this weekend, so I'm starting to worry that I'll get into trouble.:smallfrown:

I know exactly how you feel. Particularly the flash game.

Anyway: stress. Yeah. Ugh. I don't need any help from the blogoblag to get stressed out. Does anyone know of a nice cathartic video game? Something not too graphics-intensive (old laptop), first-person shooter or something like that, explosions, possibly ninjas...?

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-21, 03:14 AM
Yeah... I kind of have a problem with the whole SOMEONE'S WRONG ON THE INTERNET?! TO THE BAT-MOBILE!

Thing. And compounding that is my total inability to really argue properly. In real life I avoid conflict religiously, anytime I get into an argument with someone or someone new dislikes me, I feel physically ill and all my words come out like this or not at all. My mates say I kind of look like a deer in headlights. :( And yet I do find myself getting into arguments and that which I really could have avoided on the internet.

I really don't have any way to de-stress myself...

Coidzor
2009-01-21, 03:17 AM
I'm currently in a rather unhealthy place where I'm unsure of how to really de-stress myself as well. 'tis most unfortunate.

V: Hmm, exercise. Good idea that. I keep forgetting to get out and do it. Now how to remind myself...

averagejoe
2009-01-21, 03:29 AM
I'm currently in a rather unhealthy place where I'm unsure of how to really de-stress myself as well. 'tis most unfortunate.

I find the best solution is to bottle up your feelings inside and never let them see the light of day.

Seriously, though, interacting with people helps, especially talking to them. Um, physical exercise too.

Matticus
2009-01-21, 03:47 AM
I find it's amazingly calming to go sit at the water's edge dropping bits of shell to attract the attention of fish and crabs and just sit there watching them go about their lives oblivious to the stupid people being wrong on the internet.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-21, 08:17 AM
Yeah... I kind of have a problem with the whole SOMEONE'S WRONG ON THE INTERNET?! TO THE BAT-MOBILE!

Thing. And compounding that is my total inability to really argue properly. In real life I avoid conflict religiously, anytime I get into an argument with someone or someone new dislikes me, I feel physically ill and all my words come out like this or not at all. My mates say I kind of look like a deer in headlights. :( And yet I do find myself getting into arguments and that which I really could have avoided on the internet.

I totally understand. Today I used my ignore list for the first time, which I feel bad about, but it was getting to a point where I was very close to lashing out at them. I dunno... Maybe I should just suck it up and deal with it, but I get really upset when I am just trying to have fun or a friendly discussion and people come off like they are attacking me. At least most of the time it never goes past "Your point is incorrect." Am I off my rocker, or is using my ignore list not a totally horrible thing to do? If it's considered very anti-community I suppose I shouldn't (though then again I dunno if it just blocks PMs or also hides posts from them).

At least we can't talk about religion here, so neither you, Rettu, nor myself has that to worry about! :smallbiggrin:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-21, 08:25 AM
I totally understand. Today I used my ignore list for the first time, which I feel bad about, but it was getting to a point where I was very close to lashing out at them. I dunno... Maybe I should just suck it up and deal with it, but I get really upset when I am just trying to have fun or a friendly discussion and people come off like they are attacking me. At least most of the time it never goes past "Your point is incorrect." Am I off my rocker, or is using my ignore list not a totally horrible thing to do? If it's considered very anti-community I suppose I shouldn't (though then again I dunno if it just blocks PMs or also hides posts from them).

At least we can't talk about religion here, so neither you, Rettu, nor myself has that to worry about! :smallbiggrin:

I've had the good fortune to never have had to use my Ignore list, thankfully. These boards posting policy (While sometimes frustrating when users have benign intentions) prevent much of the arguments and flames that occur on other forums. I don't really go to any other boards nowadays, but I've frequented a few, and I must say these are the friendliest I've ever been in, without a doubt... That's probably why I stay here, actually. :smallsmile:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-21, 08:30 AM
I must say these are the friendliest I've ever been in, without a doubt... That's probably why I stay here, actually. :smallsmile:

That I will most certainly agree with. Overall, the community here is very friendly and helpful, particularly when helping with seemingly silly/petty but simple questions. I asked on the Arts thread how hard it was to make OotS avatars, and I got six responses in less than a day, all positive, and many including links to the programs and tutorials I'd need. Pretty awesome and friendly, in my opinion. :smallcool:

Player_Zero
2009-01-21, 08:44 AM
Ah, but the problem lies with the word 'assume'. No more 'I have access to a Ding an sich world of mathematics' for you, mathematicians!

Perhaps YOU don't understand it, but us mathematicians do.

In my number system one added to one is always two. That is absolute.

Moonshadow
2009-01-21, 09:09 AM
How can you relax when someone is WRONG on the Internet?!?!?!?!

I'm kidding, lol.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-21, 09:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with using an ignore list. I've never found a need for one here on the playground... but on a few other forums I frequent I've found some peace by filtering out some of the more notorious peddlers of ignorance with the Ignore list.

Zarrexaij
2009-01-21, 12:08 PM
Heh, I know for a fact I take the Internet far too seriously.

I'm surprised I haven't scared my date away by calling him and literally saying "[His name here], SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!"

I know, the Internet is serious business. Hence my avatar. Corporate Pyramidhead has it in one of his clauses.

On the ignore list thing:
On one forum, I quite frankly gave up on the ignore list when not only a lot of people ended up on it (it's a very large forum, and apparently everyone on there annoys me, except for a few select people), but I found myself reading their posts anyways, since there is an option to do that.

However, PM block is nice when you have people telling you to "die in a fire, edgy PMSy bitch." :smallannoyed:

Just remember kiddies, the Internet is PRETENDY FUN TIME GAMES.

blackfox
2009-01-21, 12:17 PM
Just remember kiddies, the Internet is PRETENDY FUN TIME GAMES.I think it's kinda human nature to get in fights like this... Considering the cruelty I've seen among the 11-year-olds on Neopets (shutup :smalltongue:) I don't really expect too much better from 19-year-olds everywhere else.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-21, 12:52 PM
Perhaps YOU don't understand it, but us mathematicians do.

In my number system one added to one is always two. That is absolute.

It's an axiom, yeah, I know. But who makes axioms? Did someone prove them? Were they logically deduced?

Zarrexaij
2009-01-21, 12:58 PM
I think it's kinda human nature to get in fights like this... Considering the cruelty I've seen among the 11-year-olds on Neopets (shutup :smalltongue:) I don't really expect too much better from 19-year-olds everywhere else.Oh please, I know what people are capable of. :smallyuk:

I'm from a certain unspeakable side of the Interblag, where none of us are as cruel as all of us.

I've experienced vicious teenager syndrome first hand.

Deathslayer7
2009-01-21, 01:39 PM
that comic made me laugh. :smallbiggrin:

late for dinner
2009-01-21, 02:02 PM
Hmmm...in order to go with the spirit of this thread, Life enjoyment is one of my favorite things to do...I like looking at the bright side of things and finding the good in things...Almost nothing beats going to a Diamondbacks game and getting the 6 dollar seats and a 9 dollar footlong hotdog with a "cold when you first get it" beer. But that is just my opinion. Seventh inning stretch is great too because I get to continue a tradition of singing take me out to the ball game at the top of my lungs...My xbox is another joy. There is just something about killing nazi zombies that makes me smile. Hmmm...I am a collector and I collect on government travel cards. Normally that would not be something to brag about cause not many people like collectors...but I gotta say, I call up people in all of the military branches (this could get a little patriotic, but not political) and speak with and help them with their debt all day and it makes me happy because, I was not able to join the military due to a broken arm not setting correctly which doesnt allow my left hand to be turned palm up, so I am very greatful for these people that are doing what I cant. Whether one agrees with what is going on over seas or not, one thing is certain. They are fighting for us. They are doing something that some of us cant do. I play a lot of halo and Call of Duty and know some military tactics, but I highly doubt that, in a situation where there is gunfire being exchanged, I would be able to make it through it without freaking out. They are trained to do that. I truly appreciate what the services do for us...and it makes me happy to help them. Ummm...what else (oh and keep this in mind, this is all a matter of oppinion, I am not trying to start an argument) Puppies also make me happy...

FdL
2009-01-21, 02:03 PM
I think it's kinda human nature to get in fights like this... Considering the cruelty I've seen among the 11-year-olds on Neopets (shutup :smalltongue:) I don't really expect too much better from 19-year-olds everywhere else.

I do think young kids can be very cruel though. More so than later teenagers.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-21, 02:18 PM
I do think young kids can be very cruel though. More so than later teenagers.

Junior High/Middle School=Pure EVIL

I taught school. I know. :wry smile:

late for dinner
2009-01-21, 03:10 PM
Junior High/Middle School=Pure EVIL

I taught school. I know. :wry smile:

also, anyone who has played xbox live knows that most kids that play dont know how to be anything but cruel and stupid...and annoying

One little kid kept making fun of me because I had only 1 cheveron in gears of war 2 and he had 2 cheverons...I guess people need something to be proud of

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-21, 05:58 PM
Considering the cruelty I've seen among the 11-year-olds on Neopets (shutup :smalltongue:)

Ha ha. :smalltongue:

Anyway. I'm still looking for a good game to take my frustration out on. Half-Life 2 (my favorite FPS) has always seemed a little too story-centric for this sort of thing, and most of my other favorite games are really not suitable for catharsis. I want to go "BUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDA-blamblam-kthunk...THOOOOM", not "taptaptapohcrapSPLORTCH" or "how appropriate--you fight like a cow!"

(n and Monkey Island? I Wanna Be The Guy? Starcraft (which I suck at)? Not very cathartic.)

snoopy13a
2009-01-21, 06:03 PM
I think the biggest reason why this forum is so popular is the heavy moderation. It is my belief that less moderated forums can end up being dominated by a clique that is rude and patronizing to those who disagree with their opinions. Plus, the banning of the two most controversial topics helps too.

I suppose what bothers me most is the intolerance that some people have in opposing viewpoints. Instead of being willing to agree to disagree, it can become a I'm right and you're an idiot for not agreeing with me.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-21, 06:45 PM
I think the biggest reason why this forum is so popular is the heavy moderation. It is my belief that less moderated forums can end up being dominated by a clique that is rude and patronizing to those who disagree with their opinions. Plus, the banning of the two most controversial topics helps too.

Eh, sometimes you luck out and get a benevolent dictatorship ruling clique which encourages rational discussion. Those are pretty rare though.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-01-21, 06:48 PM
Smoking is the most perfect of perfect pleasures. It relaxes, but never satisfies.

Pyrian
2009-01-21, 07:21 PM
...I'm right and you're an idiot for not agreeing with me.But it's true! :smallamused: