Acoilain

Size/Type: Small Fey
Hit Dice: 5d6+15 (32 hp)
Intiative: +6
Speed: 10ft. land, 40ft. fly(perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (+2dex, +5 natural, +1 size), 13 touch, 16 flat footed
Base attack/grapple: +2/-3
Attack: Sting +5 (1d3-1 and poison)
Full attack: 2 Claws +5 melee (1d3-1), Sting +0 (1d3-1 and poison), Bite +0 (1d6-1)
Space/Reach: 5/5
Special Attacks: Take in, poison, spell-like abilities.
Special Qualities: Low light vision 60ft, immunity to acid and poison, vunerable to fire, DR 5/cold iron, fast healing 3.
Saves: Fort:+4, Ref:+6, Will:+8
Abilities: Str:9, Dex:14, Con:17, Int:8, Wis:19, Cha:11
Skills: Craft(alchemy) -1*, Concentration +11, Hide +18, Listen +12, Move Silently +14, Spot +12
Feats: Weapon finesse, Hover(B), Improved Initiative.
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Solitary, Hunting (2-4), Lair (3-10).
CR: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral evil
Advancement: By character class.
Level Adjustment: +2

Acoilain are acorn shaped creatures, with long brown and green hair covering most of their bodies. Each Acoilain possesses large, transparent wings attached at the top of the creature. Its face has two small green glowing eyes and a mouth with small sharp teeth. The point on its underside is long, and covered in a light brown syrupy substance. Two arm with claws spawn from its underside.

Acoilain hunt in warm forests. They hang from the trees and attack from above. Acoilain prefer to watch there prey die slowly over killing them out right. They live in small lairs built high in the treetops. They take any treasure up to their lairs. Acoilain often have a large collection of poisons, and will sometimes try to capture humanoids to try what effects various poisons have.
Acoilain speak Common and Sylvan.

Combat
Acoilain attack from up in a tree, dropping on unsuspecting bypassers. They either use a spell-like ability in the surpise round, or fly to someone who looks physically weak, trying to take them out with their poison. If they manage to poison someone, they will fly away and hope the poison is enough to kill.

Take in (ex): If an Acoilain hits with both claw attacks, it can choose to automatically hit with its Sting attack. If it chooses to do so, it gains no Bite attack that round.

Poison (ex): Injury, DC 17 or 1d6 con damage primary and secondary. The save DC is con based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Spell-like abilities (sp): At will: Pass without trace, Fog cloud, Detect Poison, Acid Splash. 3/day: Melf's Acid Arrow, Poison(DC 16). 1/day: Magic fang, Barkskin, Entangle(DC 15) . Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Wisdom based.

Skills: Acoilain have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently.
*Acoilain have a +12 racial bonus on Craft(alchemy), when using it to detect the kind of Poison with the Detect Poison spell.

Did I give it a good CR?

martyboy74
2006-08-25, 09:40 AM
That seems like an appropriate CR if you're running it in a straight fight. However, in your desciption, you describe it as more of a hit and run creature, that would destroy wizards. Otherwise, this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html) could happen.

asromta
2006-08-25, 09:45 AM
So it should have a higher CR?

martyboy74
2006-08-25, 09:53 AM
Maybe give it a grapple option as well as the claw attacks, and if it's still grappling at the beginning of it's next turn, it gets a free sting attack once per turn? Some other people probably have better ideas.

asromta
2006-08-25, 10:21 AM
It doesn't have a good grapple modifier, so grappling wouldn't work very well for it.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-25, 08:44 PM
This looks pretty neat.

MitP Vote: Yes.

Randomman413
2006-09-01, 04:29 PM

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-04, 01:19 AM
DM: A creature swoops out of the trees.

Wizard: I charge to the front of the line.

DM: Congrats, you're a moron. Better yet, you're a dead moron.

MitP vote: Yes.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 01:33 AM
How did I not vote yet?

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-04, 01:48 AM
You still need to add its size bonus to AC.

asromta
2006-09-04, 08:41 AM
How could I forget about that?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-05, 01:41 PM
CR 3 seems a little low just due to the sheer number of spell-like abilities it has. 4 seems a little more appropriate to me, but that's just me, and I'm rubbish at CRs. :P

asromta
2006-09-05, 01:45 PM
I am bad with CR too, but I had got no comment on it. I will increase it to 4.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-05, 01:50 PM
It looks much more reasonable as a CR 4.

fangthane
2006-09-05, 04:55 PM
Just because I'm a mean person and to ensure it stays as blocked as I can make it until some stuff is fixed...

MitP Vote: Yes (assuming all my grammar-nazi changes get done ;) )

Acoilain are acorn shaped creatures, with long brown and green hair covering most of its body. Large transparant wings sprout from its top. Its face has two small green glowing eyes and a mouth with small sharp teeth. The point on its underside is long, and covered in a light brown substance. Two arm with claws spawn from its bottom.
Pick a quantity and run with it. Are you talking about one (it/singular) or the race (they/plural)? Either is OK, but you have to be consistent :)
I'd indicate the arms emerge from its underside since its bottom could be considered rude by some :) Is the substance liquid/fluid, or some kind of solid? It's light brown, but what other properties (opaque, translucent, transparent, gelatinous, syrupy, etc)

Transparent only has two A's :)

Acoilain prefer to watch there pray
their prey. :)

They live in small lairs builded high in a tree
Did they am builded them theirselveses? :)
Should be 'built' and presumably (assuming they're not the guys from Douglas Adams' books) they live in different trees? :) I'd rewrite as "They live in small lairs built high in the treetops"

~ their lairs :)
Common and Sylvan

Take in: "Automatically"

Poison: "damage" (you have an extra M in there)
Entangle needs a DC listed
Under skills, 'poison' is misspelled due to a typo in one location.

It's a little underpowered, arguably, but the potential insta-death on the con drain should cover that. Overall, an interesting build. As a flyer it might not strictly need Pass Without Trace though - only really powerful rangers can track it as is.

Edit - if you modify the spelling and grammar stuff and I don't seem to have noticed, let me know and I'll change the vote up :)

asromta
2006-09-05, 05:13 PM
I have changed the spelling and grammar.

fangthane
2006-09-05, 06:46 PM
Found some more mistakes :) I'll change the vote anyhow, but here're the new repairs:

Acoilain
Intiative: +6
Initiative - missed an I
Special Attacks: Take in, poison, spell-like ability's.
abilities
Ability's: Str:9, Dex:14, Con:17, Int:8, Wis:19, Cha:11
abilities again :)
Acoilain are acorn shaped creatures, with long brown and green hair covering most of their bodies. Large transparant wings sprout from its top. Its face has two small green glowing eyes and a mouth with small sharp teeth. The point on its underside is long, and covered in a light brown syrupy substance. Two arm with claws spawn from its underside.
I'd redo the second sentence to read "Each Acoilain possesses large, transparent wings attached at the top of the creature." That shifts things into the singular for all the following sentences :)

Take in (ex): If an Acoilain hits with both claw attacks, it can choose to automaticly hit with its Sting attack. If it chooses to do so, it gains no Bite attack that round.
automatically (missing AL)

Spell-like ability's (sp): At will: Pass without trace, Fog cloud, Detect Poison, Acid Splash. 3/day: Melf's Acid Arrow, Poison(DC 16). 1/day: Magic fang, Barkskin, Entangle(DC 15) . Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Wisdom based.
abilities
Detect Posion spell.
poison :)

I've made annotations so that it should be a bit easier to follow along (I hope) :)

fangthane
2006-09-06, 12:23 PM
Looks good now, all grammared up and stuff :)

I might have to try advancing one of these (or two) and send them in to test against the Gestalts too ;)

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-10-15, 08:24 PM
MitP vote: Yes