PDA

View Full Version : Infused [3.5 Weapon Property]

thegurullamen
2009-01-19, 07:30 PM
Infused
An infused weapon can be charged with the same magical energies as a wand. By expending all of the charges of a wand into an infused weapon, its wielder can then use the weapon as if it were the original wand. An infused weapon can only hold one wand's charges at a time. Attempting to expend another wand into the weapon destroys its current charges.

If the weapon is destroyed or sundered while it still has charges in it, its wielder can take an immediate action to expend all of the remaining charges to completely repair the weapon (minimum 10.)

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, either Craft Wand or Fabricate; Price +1 bonus.

Infused, Greater
As Infused but can be used with staves as well as wands.

Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, either Craft Staff or Polymorph Any Object; Price +2 bonus.

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-19, 07:45 PM
Neat! My first instinct is a long sword infused with lightning bolt, but then my mind started to go to alter-self-infused daggers and such. This is a really cool ability.

I'm not sold on the self-reparation aspect. I think it would be cooler if the stored spell went off (centered on the square it was destroyed in and/or targeting every creature in a 30 foot burst).

MageSparrowhawk
2009-01-19, 10:44 PM
this is pretty cool....maybe a limit on the number of charges based on size of weapon? and I like the 'splody idea....heh...

say, this applies to ranged weapons too, right? And how does this interact with spell-storing?

ericgrau
2009-01-20, 08:35 PM
I'd take out the self-repairing option, for balance reasons. I can see a lot of power-gamers using this purely for a +1 anti-sunder enchantment. I'd likewise be careful to make sure detonation isn't overpowered if you include it, to provide intentional usage. You could increase the weapon's HP a hair if you're worried about it becoming a bigger sunder target. It should be less than what a +1 gives, i.e. +10 HP and +2 hardness.

Otherwise it sounds great. You don't need a free hand to hold your wand, but you pay with a +1. Good for characters who use weapons and magic at the same time, especially those that have UMD or take a 1 level dip into a caster for wand usage.

thegurullamen
2009-01-20, 10:31 PM
There, edited for sort-of balance reasons.

Five SL's worth of charges was just too light a cost for a full repair. This still makes sundering a legitimate threat.

As for the retributive strike effect, I'm not comfortable with it. It's too hard to balance. Once had a DM who thought all wands did this. Murdered a warlord once with a wand of Magic Missile CL 5 fashioned into an arrow. Since arrows break on hitting and it was brand new, he got hit for a dumptruck of d4s damage. Sure, it's not the same, but I like telling that story.

More to the point, I wanted something that would be more useful than an off-chance maybe-nuke. D&D weapons that can repair themselves with a costly sacrifice made sense and seemed to fit in here. Although, the idea of sundering a Glitterdust infused weapon would be really cinematic...

This ability can coexist with spell-storing easily. Spell-storing weapons allow non-casters to make use of offensive spells. Infused weapons just turn the weapon into a makeshift wand. You can have both, granting the weapon a caster-y feel and granting a lot of versatility towards that end. It gets better with Greater Infused Spell-Storing weapons.