PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Converting into D&D challenge: Stating up Dexter

newbDM
2009-01-19, 08:14 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Swat%20Kats%20images/DexterMonkey.png

Looking through Bleedmans's devientart page I came across this, and now I just have to stat him up for my backup characters folder.

So, can it be done? Are you geek enough to incarnate Dexter into our favored gaming system?

Would personally prefer a D&D only version, but for those who play D20 Modern/Future an alternate version for them might be interesting.

Stating up Monkey as his cohort is optional.

wadledo
2009-01-19, 08:25 PM
Human or Gnome Artificer 20.
The monkey is his homunculus.

...Despicable..
2009-01-19, 09:51 PM
Human or Gnome Artificer 20.
The monkey is his homunculus.

I do not believe a simple homunculus fits Monkey well at all.

The Glyphstone
2009-01-19, 10:10 PM
CE Human Warrior 1/Expert 5 with ranks in Bluff and Profession(Serial Killer).

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:smallbiggrin:

For the lovable cartoon Dexter, Gnome Artificer 20 seems good, or Human with a homebrew feat/flaw that makes him Small. He needs to have the Leadership feat, though, so he can get an Awakened Monkey Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html) 18 cohort.

Pie Guy
2009-01-19, 10:26 PM
Dexter is LE, not CE. He doesn't kill Everyone he meets.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-19, 10:31 PM

While I do not think he is CE, I'd like to point out that "CE people kill everyone they meet" is just plain incorrect.

chiasaur11
2009-01-19, 11:26 PM
Still, he tries to keep a limit on his homicidal murder.

Haven't seen or read enough to comment further, though.

newbDM
2009-01-19, 11:32 PM
Wait, what is all this about murderer and CE/LE alignments?! :smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2009-01-19, 11:36 PM
We're dragging the thread horribly off-topic by discussing another character, also named Dexter, who has his own show (called...Dexter). He's a serial killer who hunts other serial killers.

Agrippa
2009-01-19, 11:42 PM
Wait, what is all this about murderer and CE/LE alignments?! :smalleek:

Dexter Morgan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Morgan)

newbDM
2009-01-20, 01:04 AM
We're dragging the thread horribly off-topic by discussing another character, also named Dexter, who has his own show (called...Dexter). He's a serial killer who hunts other serial killers.

Dexter Morgan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Morgan)

Yeah, and it took the tread in the opposite direction of the "fun" concept I was hoping for. :smallconfused:

Agrippa
2009-01-20, 01:06 AM
Yeah, and it took the tread in the opposite direction of the "fun" concept I was hoping for. :smallconfused::smallconfused:

Then let's set aside Mr. Morgan for a moment and focus on our more loveable Dexter instead.

elliott20
2009-01-20, 02:05 AM
I personally think that making dexter an artificer makes mechanical sense but from a flavor stand point, not quite. After all, Dexter is a scientist first, and inventor second. He simply just happens to know how to do a lot of really cool stuff with science. In a way, I'm more inclined to say he's a high level wizard with lower than expected wisdom. Of course, that depends on what direction you want to go with.

philosophically, sometimes it makes more sense to just do what mechanically fits and adjust the flavor accordingly.

oh yeah, and if you ask Dexter himself what he would be, he would be Gygax, the 18th level fighter/mage.

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 02:24 AM

Theres nothing lawful about Dexter.
On a regular basis, he levels entire towns for the sheer hell of it
Hes CE

The other problem is, that Monkey is not dexters side kick/cohort/minion
Just ask him

"after countless experiments all testing proves negative no enhanced ability's no mutations no nothing, he shail never be anything more that a mere monkey"

SadisticFishing
2009-01-20, 03:21 AM
Why is he... so tall? In that picture?

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 03:28 AM
Why is he... so tall? In that picture?

Its from the Cartoon network MMO
Fusion fall
It takes place in the future of the CN universe
there are grown up power puff girls
and Numbahs Two and Five are adults

Jerthanis
2009-01-20, 03:36 AM
CE Human Warrior 1/Expert 5 with ranks in Bluff and Profession(Serial Killer).

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:smallbiggrin:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title. I'd also put in Search and Knowledge: Blood Splatter Analysis. (I only saw the TV show, if he wasn't a Blood Splatter Analyst in the books I'm sorry for being inaccurate)

I agree with your initial statement, but not your followup. At the core of Dexter's character is the desire to follow the Code, and he never breaks that code, even if he wants to, or it would benefit him in the long run. That is why he's lawful. Killing everyone you meet is a quality that doesn't exist in anyone but the GTA guy when the player gets bored... it's not a requirement for the CE alignment.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-20, 10:24 AM
I personally think that making dexter an artificer makes mechanical sense but from a flavor stand point, not quite. After all, Dexter is a scientist first, and inventor second. He simply just happens to know how to do a lot of really cool stuff with science. In a way, I'm more inclined to say he's a high level wizard with lower than expected wisdom. Of course, that depends on what direction you want to go with.

philosophically, sometimes it makes more sense to just do what mechanically fits and adjust the flavor accordingly.

oh yeah, and if you ask Dexter himself what he would be, he would be Gygax, the 18th level fighter/mage.
Well, I'd say that Artificer is the a "medieval scientist". If you take out UMD, and reflavour his magic itens and infusions are machines and chemical potions, it works fine. He doesn't make effects out of the blue, like a wizard. He creates things and build machines to do stuff, like an artificer.

@SadisticFishing: That's Bleedman's depiction of him. Google it.

kamikasei
2009-01-20, 10:31 AM
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title. I'd also put in Search and Knowledge: Blood Splatter Analysis. (I only saw the TV show, if he wasn't a Blood Splatter Analyst in the books I'm sorry for being inaccurate)

Not Knowledge (BSA), but Profession (forensic technician). Knowledge (forensics) too, maybe.

And yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the title. "Not much of a challenge, is it?"

Magnor Criol
2009-01-20, 10:53 AM
I think I agree that he'd be an artificer. There's need to be a bit of refluffing, but they really are the DnD equivalent of a scientist/inventor.

Whatever the case, he'd have astronomical intelligence, and low stats in - well, in everything else except maybe dexterity. He's not strong or sturdy, he frequently shows the ability to completely disregard common sense, and he's certainly not good at interacting with others.

Really, though, I think we'd need to step into D20 Modern to do him justice.

What would DeeDee be?

WJLIII3
2009-01-20, 11:46 AM
There's no reason to make him small or a gnome or anything, he is, after all, just a little kid. As the Movie showed up, he grows up to be a huge, hardcore badass with all kinds of awesome and beard.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 12:04 PM
There's no reason to make him small or a gnome or anything, he is, after all, just a little kid. As the Movie showed up, he grows up to be a huge, hardcore badass with all kinds of awesome and beard.

Well, I think we need to consider whether NewbDM is looking for a strict or a more colorful interpretation. Are we looking to straight-up translate Dexter into D&D stats or are we creating as he might be in a D&D universe? As in, must we keep his race, appearance, and talents identical to the show, or is there some room to interpret? If that makes sense...

newbDM
2009-01-20, 06:09 PM
Well, I think we need to consider whether NewbDM is looking for a strict or a more colorful interpretation. Are we looking to straight-up translate Dexter into D&D stats or are we creating as he might be in a D&D universe? As in, must we keep his race, appearance, and talents identical to the show, or is there some room to interpret? If that makes sense...

Well, I'd prefer he'd stay human, and with his classic personality/attitude. Basically, I'd like him to still be Dexter, so it would somewhat be obvious who is being ripped off here, but besides that I want to see what all the pros here would do with this "concept". I want to see how your experienced imaginations would put him together.

newbDM
2009-01-20, 06:13 PM
What would DeeDee be?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Troublesome_Trio.jpg

That would be awesome.

...Despicable..
2009-01-30, 02:34 PM
Anyone know what his statblock should be like for an NPC?

I am highly tempted.

hamishspence
2009-01-30, 02:58 PM
Given the both Riddick and Carl Denham are cited in Complete Scoundrel as CE, I'd say there is a lot of room for it without person being out-and-out malevolent.