PDA

View Full Version : Best RPG IMO, is free

Grail
2009-01-19, 10:09 PM
Well, it's got a wishy-washy system, but for the setting, I've never seen or played better. SLA Industries 1e is available for free download from RPGNOW.com and I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes their games with a gritty edge.

Prometheus
2009-01-20, 12:14 AM
So... what do you like about it?

Grail
2009-01-20, 12:22 AM
The setting is the perfect, if such a phrase can be used, dystopia. It has a perfect blend of urban horror, supernatural themes, Max-Headroom-esque styled media control and grit. It mixes gun-bunny action (if that's what you like), with investigation, conspiracy, gang-warfare, politics and serial killer mayhem.

And that's just the characters first day on the job.

It has a great mission-style setting, where characters are Operatives for SLA Industries, the defining and controlling Mega-Corp. It has a well-defined structure for characters to pursue their lives, not just their missions, in a well-developed dark future, where everything is driven by Security Clearance, badges and forms.

Indeed, it is one of the few games that I've seen where it pays to be an Accountant! :P

The best thing about it for those people who've never seen it before, is that it's free. I spent $60AU on it many many years ago.

I was just downloading some stuff for it that I don't have, and noticed that the first edition was free, so thought I'd let people know. A free game is a good game, but a good free game is a great game!

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-20, 12:23 AM
You might want to edit your title, since every single time I've seen it I've had to restrain myself from reporting your post.

Come on, tell me that "Best RPG is free" doesn't look exactly like a piece of targeted spam.

EDIT: Eey, ninja'd!

Frosty
2009-01-20, 12:25 AM
The setting is the perfect, if such a phrase can be used, dystopia. It has a perfect blend of urban horror, supernatural themes, Max-Headroom-esque styled media control and grit. It mixes gun-bunny action (if that's what you like), with investigation, conspiracy, gang-warfare, politics and serial killer mayhem.

And that's just the characters first day on the job!

Heh, all of this can also apply to Shadowrun. I prefer to think of Shadowrun as what took place *before* Slayer took over the universe.

Grail
2009-01-20, 12:26 AM
Heh, all of this can also apply to Shadowrun. I prefer to think of Shadowrun as what took place *before* Slayer took over the universe.

Yeah, but IMO, Shadowrun is more anime and less grit. I've played a lot of Shadowrun in my time, and IMO, the fantasy races spoiled it for me.

Of course, I did have a lot of fun with my character "Fizzlefart"

Frosty
2009-01-20, 12:28 AM
Yeah, but IMO, Shadowrun is more anime and less grit. I've played a lot of Shadowrun in my time, and IMO, the fantasy races spoiled it for me.

There ar ealien races in SLA as well. Just because in Shadowrun they have the asme name as races from traditional fantasy doesn't mean they'reanything like the races. In fact, many charatcers in the setting complain about misconceptions!

Grail
2009-01-20, 12:39 AM
There ar ealien races in SLA as well. Just because in Shadowrun they have the asme name as races from traditional fantasy doesn't mean they'reanything like the races. In fact, many charatcers in the setting complain about misconceptions!

Of course there are alien races, but they aren't Elves. :smallwink:
As to the characters complaining about misconceptions in Shadowrun, then maybe the games designers should have had more originality then plopping Gimli in cyberpunk. IMO, claiming misconception is just an attempt to justify having the races there in the first place.

SLA is a grittier game than Shadowrun IMO, because of the struggle for normality. Because the worst monsters in the universe are your boss. Because if you stray even a little your career (life) is forefeit. Shadowrun is just cyberpunk with Elves. SLA is more than cyberpunk.

I've never heard anyone describe SLA and Shadowrun as similar before you to be honest, and I've never heard anyone seriously lump SLA into the cyberpunk genre, which I believe you are doing by implication (whether intentional or not). Now there is nothing to stop people playing one as the other, but I believe that the settings are far apart in both style and feel.

I've even played both games with multiple groups, and the result is always the same. Shadowrun is lighter, cleaner. SLA is more brutal, more chaotic. YMMV of course, and it's up to you how you play the game, but at least SLA is free atm for those that have neither.

Frosty
2009-01-20, 12:41 AM
I don't think I've ever played a "light" or "clean" shadowrun game. not sure what group you were playing with...

Grail
2009-01-20, 12:46 AM
I don't think I've ever played a "light" or "clean" shadowrun game. not sure what group you were playing with...

Played Shadowrun with....... 3 groups, no, 4 groups. It always had an anime feel to it regardless of who was playing in it and who was running it. It's not to say that it wasn't a good game and I didn't enjoy it, nothing could be further from the truth. Infact, I liked it so much I bought it and added it to my collection (until some bum stole it).

I played SLA with the same groups. And it was always a completely different beast.

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 02:42 AM

What on earth is "Anime" about Shadowrun

I mean, Ive read all 4 versions of the rules, and i have never seen ANY rules for using the power of song to hold back hostile aliens while your friends die in horrible droves around you.

it also lacks rules for running out of the house with toast in your mouth, while trying to put your coat on because your late for school.

Although, if it DOSE have these rules, can i get a page number?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-20, 02:50 AM
I think he's referring to the fantasy anachronisms.

For example, having a harem of schoolgirls hanging around in say . . .a noirish detective drama.

Jerthanis
2009-01-20, 02:52 AM
I'd go into the multitude of ways that I think you've got a bizarre misconception of Shadowrun to call it anything but RPing hopelessness plus explosions, but that's not what the thread is about.

Your description of the game you're hawking sounded awesome, and I'm going to download and read it for myself, ready to be impressed.

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 02:52 AM
I think he's referring to the fantasy anachronisms.

For example, having a harem of schoolgirls hanging around in say . . .a noirish detective drama.

Ya, again that is not something that has ever happened in any game of shadowrun ive ever played, now in any game, of any one ive ever heard of.

Nor, in any anime ive ever heard of.

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 03:05 AM
You know what.
That's my bad
I suppose i can see how ShadowRun is Animeish

http://www.eyrie-productions.com/NXE/TMP/GFX/t-spotting.jpg

Although i dont remember the last time i played a game that focused on high school politics, or the first Asian American president, or Nordic goddesses hanging out with high school kids, or maids to who tormented there employers, or games that were all about one session of basket ball, or shadowrun games devoted entirely to car racing.

I mean...
Ive seen anime with detectives in it.
So ya, i guess its pretty damn anime

bosssmiley
2009-01-20, 06:27 AM
SLA Industries? "Judge Dredd" or "HoL" with a sense of humour bypass, or possibly "Paranoia" with 'roid rage. I look at it and can't help thinking Darker and Edgier (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkerAndEdgier).

Pass thanks.

potatocubed
2009-01-20, 06:34 AM
I dunno... I think SLA does have a sense of humour, it's just very very black.

Or possibly I have a black and tasteless sense of humour, so I'm seeing jokes where none were intended.

banjo1985
2009-01-20, 06:40 AM
I must admit I wasn't impressed the one time I played SLA. Seemed like a clunkier version of Shadowrun to me, and that's saying something. I'm always willing to give something a second chance though, and a free download might help me get a better handle on how it works.

Grail
2009-01-20, 06:45 AM
I must admit I wasn't impressed the one time I played SLA. Seemed like a clunkier version of Shadowrun to me, and that's saying something. I'm always willing to give something a second chance though, and a free download might help me get a better handle on how it works.

Yes, the system is rather weak, but the guys that wrote it were never into mechanics. I played it last time under GURPS, and that was pretty good. I've started a T20 conversion as well, but haven't touched that for some time... I probably should get back to it.

Saying all that, the system is fine for some rules-lite serious roleplaying.

Oh, and yes, SLA does have a sense of humour, it is very black humour, and is obscure in the writings, but it is there. Some of the most amusing anecdotes i've got from roleplaying come from playing this game.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-20, 06:49 AM
What on earth is "Anime" about Shadowrun

Well, the newest edition puts me very much in mind of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is easily up there with shows like The Wire by any measuring stick.

So take it as a compliment, I guess.

Indeed, it'd be so incredibly easy to port the storyarcs of Gigs 1 and 2 into, say, Shadowrun's Hong Kong, to the point that I suspect GitS:SAC was a major inspiration for the sourcebook...

Also, Grail, I think you got your games mixed up, because everyone knows that the SRD of the best version of the best RPG is available for download here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=39).

Grail
2009-01-20, 06:55 AM
Also, Grail, I think you got your games mixed up, because everyone knows that the SRD of the best version of the best RPG is available for download here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=39).

Runequest was ok. Not great, but ok. I did like my Elf until the Broo cut off his ears. Of course, my friends Duck who rode a chariot pulled by chickens was pretty cool.

kjones
2009-01-20, 07:54 AM
Yes, the system is rather weak, but the guys that wrote it were never into mechanics. I played it last time under GURPS, and that was pretty good. I've started a T20 conversion as well, but haven't touched that for some time... I probably should get back to it.

Saying all that, the system is fine for some rules-lite serious roleplaying.

Oh, and yes, SLA does have a sense of humour, it is very black humour, and is obscure in the writings, but it is there. Some of the most amusing anecdotes i've got from roleplaying come from playing this game.

I'll give the game a shot, but how can you call it the "Best RPG" if you say that the system is "rather weak"? I'm no rules-lovin' power-gamer, but fluff is mutable - most of what distinguishes one system from the next are rules differences.

Grail
2009-01-20, 08:01 AM
I'll give the game a shot, but how can you call it the "Best RPG" if you say that the system is "rather weak"? I'm no rules-lovin' power-gamer, but fluff is mutable - most of what distinguishes one system from the next are rules differences.

That is a fair comment.
I suppose I say it's weak when compared to some rules-heavy systems. I don't mind the system myself, because I like systems that are rules-lite. The system is roll 2d10 add your skill, subtract or add penalties/bonuses. If you get 11+ you succeed. 21+ and you get an exceptional success. And that's the crux of the system.

As for fluff being mutable, IMO, the fluff is the most important part of any game, so from my POV, SLA is superior to any other game that I've played. Systems come and go, it's not why people generally remember playing a game, they remember the game because of the setting and the story.

KnightDisciple
2009-01-20, 08:24 AM
I really think you ought to clarify the genre of the game in either the title or the original post. Super grim and gritty may be "Best Ever" for you, but not for some of us. I don't begrudge you this, mind, but it took me reading a bit to realize this was something other than standard fantasy fare.

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 08:51 AM
Well, the newest edition puts me very much in mind of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is easily up there with shows like The Wire by any measuring stick.
So take it as a compliment, I guess.
Indeed, it'd be so incredibly easy to port the storyarcs of Gigs 1 and 2 into, say, Shadowrun's Hong Kong, to the point that I suspect GitS:SAC was a major inspiration for the sourcebook.../rpg/series.php?qsSeries=39]available for download here[/url].

Ahh you have a point there.

Of corse i guess ill have to take your word on that one.
I guess the OP has me blocked or something, I mean apparently they can turn an noun in ot an adjective, but cant explain what it means after the translation.

Grail
2009-01-20, 09:03 AM
I guess the OP has me blocked or something, I mean apparently they can turn an noun in ot an adjective, but cant explain what it means after the translation.

huh?
Oh, your thing on Anime. Anime is more than that. Anime is a term that's been around a lot longer than Sailor Moon. Infact, it's a term that's been around for almost a century to describe Japanese Animation. The latest influx might have been little kiddies with powers and stuff like that, but that is not the sole kind of Anime.

So yes, Shadowrun is very much Anime from my perspective, because every game of Shadowrun I've played is like the Anime I grew up watching.

And no, I don't have you blocked. :smallamused:

lisiecki
2009-01-20, 09:08 AM
{Scrubbed}

Knaight
2009-01-20, 09:16 AM
As for fluff being mutable, IMO, the fluff is the most important part of any game, so from my POV, SLA is superior to any other game that I've played. Systems come and go, it's not why people generally remember playing a game, they remember the game because of the setting and the story.
Sure, if the mechanics are good. Otherwise people remember waiting half an hour for their turn to come around so they can make incremental progress fighting some unimportant monster for an hour. That said it sounds like I could port these over to Fudge in about five minutes.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-20, 09:22 AM
OMG!!

Free SLA industies WOOT!!

I love this Game....

Nothing better then playing a Scotish Jucier Thats being sponsered by SUNKIST and Coca-cola!!!

Woot!

Grail
2009-01-20, 09:30 AM
Sure, if the mechanics are good. Otherwise people remember waiting half an hour for their turn to come around so they can make incremental progress fighting some unimportant monster for an hour. That said it sounds like I could port these over to Fudge in about five minutes.

Well, I don't think the mechanics need to be good to avoid this, they just need not be bad or cumbersome or clunky.

Hopefully you will download and enjoy the game like i do.
If you don't, my evil twin brother Liarg posted about it. :smallcool:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-20, 09:49 AM

Rules only really matter insofar as they do or do not support the style and tone of the game. Fading Suns, for instance, has somewhat shaky rules, but they work wonderfully for the style of the game. And while fluff may be mutable, 95+ % of every Fading Suns sourcebook is fluff, and that's what I want when I buy their sourcebooks - because the world is freaking awesome, and the rules are pretty secondary to roleplaying in it (especially since the game is about intrigue foremost, by default).

Similarly, the Lord of the Rings RPG remains in desperate need of errata that will never come, and fundamental reworks (Weapon Mastery and similar advantages are disproportionally good, some class abilities are just way too powerful and some are way too weak, etc.), but it works for the game, because it's not supposed to be about tactical combat against orc horde after orc horde, but about epic adventure, and the rules do convey that tone and style very well.

Cyberpunk 2020 has possibly the weakest system of any RPG I've ever played (the book doesn't even tell you what SKILL to use to throw a grenade, and that's just the beginning), but it's one of the absolute best games I've played regardless - or because of - that.

A weak system can make for a great game, because a weak system encourages ignoring it when it's not absolutely necessary. What really matters in a RPG is the concept you're getting, and how well it's been executed.

kjones
2009-01-20, 02:19 PM
Rules only really matter insofar as they do or do not support the style and tone of the game. Fading Suns, for instance, has somewhat shaky rules, but they work wonderfully for the style of the game. And while fluff may be mutable, 95+ % of every Fading Suns sourcebook is fluff, and that's what I want when I buy their sourcebooks - because the world is freaking awesome, and the rules are pretty secondary to roleplaying in it (especially since the game is about intrigue foremost, by default).

Similarly, the Lord of the Rings RPG remains in desperate need of errata that will never come, and fundamental reworks (Weapon Mastery and similar advantages are disproportionally good, some class abilities are just way too powerful and some are way too weak, etc.), but it works for the game, because it's not supposed to be about tactical combat against orc horde after orc horde, but about epic adventure, and the rules do convey that tone and style very well.

Cyberpunk 2020 has possibly the weakest system of any RPG I've ever played (the book doesn't even tell you what SKILL to use to throw a grenade, and that's just the beginning), but it's one of the absolute best games I've played regardless - or because of - that.

A weak system can make for a great game, because a weak system encourages ignoring it when it's not absolutely necessary. What really matters in a RPG is the concept you're getting, and how well it's been executed.

I guess I agree with this to an extent. My issue is more that to some extent, all rules-lite games are the same - this is how it should be, since the rules should not be important and thus could be easily swapped out for another system.

But the part of gaming that I enjoy (since around here, I run games more often than I play in them) is creating the setting and getting my players interested and involved in it. So buying books for "fluff" isn't really worth it for me - it might give me some ideas that I want to develop on my own, but so will a good book or movie.

So, if I'm not buying the game for the rules, and I'm not buying the game for the setting, then what am I buying it for?

Of course, YMMV. And of course this isn't ubiquitously true for me - some of my favorite games have very specific setting (Aces & Eights, for example). This is just my perspective.

Jimp
2009-01-20, 02:25 PM
Downloaded, looks interesting. Will read through it when I can. Even if the mechanics don't work out the best the fluff seems awesome.