PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Any news about the whip?

koeldflare
2009-01-20, 01:06 AM
Hey playgrounders,

I don't have a large selection of 4th ed material and I don't (currently) have a subscription to D&D insider, so I was wondering if any of you could give me any information about if they have anything for the whip coming around to 4th ed.

I've always loved the weapon in 3.5, and I would REALLY like to start making characters with it in 4th.

Thanks!

Asbestos
2009-01-20, 01:17 AM
Dragon 368, the (extensive) article on gladiatorial fights and such. In addition to tons of feats, a paragon path, and a couple of magic items, the stats for whips, bolas, and nets are presented.

Now, you can just take Weapon Proficiency: Whip and gain access to what equates to a dagger with reach (but you know, can't be thrown, and is a flail) OR you could 'multiclass' into Whip. Sound weird? It kind of is. Anyway, that's how you gain access to the interesting abilities of the whip/bola/net. Say my ranger takes the multiclass feat for the whip, now he is proficient with it and he can apply a minor (but useful) detriment to people he hits with it. In addition he can now take whip specific power swap feats. Its actually pretty cool, been thinking of an Elf (or Halfling) Tempest Fighter that dual wields whips. Also, Beastmaster rangers wielding a longsword and a whip is an apparently popular build, people actually use the whip now!

But, to someone more knowledgeable... does the -2 to attack from my fighter mark stack with the -2 to attack from getting whipped?

Mando Knight
2009-01-20, 01:33 AM
But, to someone more knowledgeable... does the -2 to attack from my fighter mark stack with the -2 to attack from getting whipped?

I believe the usual rule is that penalties from multiple sources always stack... but haven't seen any reference to that in what I've read for 4E.

SadisticFishing
2009-01-20, 01:53 AM
Yeah they stack.

In Dragon (a subscription is definitely worth it), there is indeed a multiclass whip feat, and 3 power swaps possible (encounter, daily, utility). Cool stuff.

Asbestos
2009-01-20, 10:22 AM
Yeah they stack.

In Dragon (a subscription is definitely worth it), there is indeed a multiclass whip feat, and 3 power swaps possible (encounter, daily, utility). Cool stuff.

Awesome, so my whip using fighter can not only give the baddie a -2 to hit anyone but him, but a -4 to hit the wizard (or other squishy) specifically. I am a fan of this.

BlackRabite
2009-01-20, 11:48 AM
Forget that, whip paladin using Enfeebling Strike! -4 on himself and -6 on everyone else.

Edit: Dang. Martial only. Thats weak