PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Clarification on Cleric's domain slot

Hephaestus
2009-01-20, 05:29 AM
So I'm currently building a cleric with the Strength and Luck domains available. And I want most of my domain slots to use the Strength domain spell, except the 3rd level one. I find Protection from Energy would be much better than Magic Vestment.

Now I'm having trouble understanding the rule on domain slots, do I choose which domain spell for each level individually or do I choose one domain and it applies to all the levels for that day?

So could I choose the Strength Domain's given spell for 1st or 2nd level but choose the Luck Domains given spell for 3rd level? Or do I have to choose between all strength domain or all luck domain?

Tehnar
2009-01-20, 05:42 AM
You chose the spell that occupies the domain slot. So, yes, you could have strength domain spells as your 1st and 2nd level spells, and a spell from the luck domain occupying your 3rd level domain slot.

Malacode
2009-01-20, 06:06 AM
I have a question too

If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.

So with Spontaneous Domain Casting class variant, can you spontaneously cast the Domain spells instead of any spell, or only the ones in the Domain slot? The first seems to increase the versatility of the cleric by quite a lot, and the other is kinda a waste of time as it's pretty limited.

Renx
2009-01-20, 06:15 AM
I have a question too
So with Spontaneous Domain Casting class variant, can you spontaneously cast the Domain spells instead of any spell, or only the ones in the Domain slot? The first seems to increase the versatility of the cleric by quite a lot, and the other is kinda a waste of time as it's pretty limited.

The first. The second wouldn't make much sense, now would it? ;) Also lovely with extra domains.

AslanCross
2009-01-20, 08:17 AM
Another thing to keep in mind: You can always use domain slots for lower-level domain spells.

Keld Denar
2009-01-20, 10:30 AM
Another thing to keep in mind: You can always use domain slots for lower-level domain spells.

Or fill domain slots with metamagiced domain spells.

Strength gives you Enlarge Person at 1st level.

You could memorize Enlarge Person in your 2nd level slot as well, with no change to its effect. Its still a 1st level spell, since you can always memorize up.

You could also memorize an Extended Enlarge Person in your 2nd level slot, if you had the Extend Spell feat. This would count as a 2nd level spell for all purposes except DC (except EP doesn't have a DC, but if it did...).

And Magic Vestiments is an AWESOME spell. It negates the need to have an enhancement bonus on your armor greater than +1. So, instead of buying a +2 breastplate, you could buy a +1 breastplate with light fortification, and at 8th level, cast Magic Vestiments to increase the enhancement bonus to +2. Thus, you are trading your 3rd level domain slot for 5000g, and when you get 12th level, you are trading it for way more than that. Plus, caster level is easy to increase for clerics, meaning you can get to CL20 by as early as level 13 or so, and enjoy the benefits of +5 armor without having to pay 25,000 for it, or enjoy the benefits of +10 or +11 armor without having to pay 100,000+ for it.

Great spell.

Tehnar
2009-01-20, 10:36 AM
Its actually so good, I houseruled it (and Greater magic weapon/fang) into 1 min/CL duration.

monty
2009-01-20, 01:19 PM
(except EP doesn't have a DC, but if it did...)

"Saving Throw: Fortitude negates"

Curmudgeon
2009-01-20, 05:29 PM
Its actually so good, I houseruled it (and Greater magic weapon/fang) into 1 min/CL duration. And what about those spells plus Permanency? Did you nerf that option, too? I guess you wouldn't want to make it possible for anything but Wizards (with Mage Armor) to dominate all possible scenarios, right? :smallfurious:

Keld Denar
2009-01-20, 06:16 PM
Yea, MV x2 is pretty much required for any melee to even have a remote chance of standing a remote chance in melee with anything CR appropriate above level 12 or so. Nerfing it like that is a huge hit. Casters have more important things to do in combat than buff a couple points of AC on a melee, or can achieve greater effects with other similar level spells. If you nerf MV down to minutes per level, then you should nerf it down to a level 1 spell, similar to Shield of Faith. The whole reason it IS a 4th level spell (except as a Str3) is because of the long duration.