PDA

View Full Version : How would you like a world presented?

ambu
2006-10-13, 06:14 AM
I would like to post a world I am creating here, since I am a long time resident. However, I have seen many creations not getting the consideration they deserve, because the author, in his/her enthusiam, writes pages upon pages of stuff. So I would like to ask:

How would you like to see a world presented? A brief synopsis, a map and races etc? Or a timeline first? Do you like pages of posts clearly labelled or a pdf link?

Post your preferences/ ideas!

paddyfool
2006-10-13, 09:29 AM
A brief synopsis, a map and races etc?

Sounds good to me. So long as you write well, and it's interesting, the format doesn't matter too much imho. Look at the Enter the Abyss thread - loads of posts by the author, and no objections that I saw.

ambu
2006-10-13, 09:44 AM
I see. However, isn't a timeline necessary? I mean, some of the races are defined by their history.

Tormsskull
2006-10-13, 10:31 AM
Well, if it is truly huge, you might want to give your self a nifty Acronym and then separate your posts into sections. For example, say your world was called Land of Ambu then you use the acronym [LOA]. Then when you create posts you make them like "Races of [LOA]", "Classes of [LOA]", etc.

This way your information is clear, concise and well-organized. Then you can add links in your signature to all of the pieces of the overall project. That way if someone takes a look at your races and then they see in your sig "Classes of [LOA]" they might jump to it and take a peak.

Anyhow, good luck

bosssmiley
2006-10-14, 12:50 PM
Break big text blocks up with plenty of headings, box-out quotes and the like.
Short paragraphs, clear sentences. Big chunks of text just get a "tl;dr" response from most people.
Don't be afraid to throw in your own sketches of the races/objects described, or other examplary or inspirational artwork (be careful of copyright though).
Include "behind the curtain" box-outs explaining the 'how and why' of things in your setting and why it differs from Greyhawk, the Realms, Eberron, etc.
Include a list of varient rules. Look at the old Polyhedron mini-game articles in Dungeon (Pulp Heroes, Shadow Chasers, Iron Lords of Jupiter, Spelljammer 3rd Ed, Dark Sun 3rd Ed., etc.) for good examples.
Maps (lotsa) - but then I'm a map geek. ;)

zeruslord
2006-10-14, 11:15 PM
dEggtanian pretty much said it all for the body of the setting, but order of presentation matters. starting with a ten page creation myth or the complete dwarven book of grudges gets a :o ??? reaction from me almost every time