PDA

View Full Version : Looking for creatures for one of my gaming sessions

Lenarizan
2009-01-20, 01:56 PM
Stefan, Wout, Frank, Olaf... If you read this: Turn around 'NOW!' :belkar:

If not, the question is in the darkness.
(Ooh! Spooky!)

My adventuring party is close to a room where I wanted some undead. I looked up some skeletons (the normal variety) when I reread the 3rd OOTS book as it came in.
So now I'm compiling a list of all the skeletal creatures I can find in my DND 3e and 3.5e books. And those in the few Eberron, FR books I have.

But there are probably many more. The Eye of Fear and Flame for one, I can't find in my books as it is from an earlier edition.
Also: Not all of them are undead. There's the Bone Lord from the Creature Collection that's an Abberation. Helloooo Turn Undead. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe some of you have played /dm-ed long enough to remember such monstrosities. Myself I can only work with what my ~6 years of gaming have granted me.

Oh, and here's what I've found so far:

Humanoid Creatures:

Ashen Husk (Sandstorm)
Bleakborn (Libris Mortis)
Banedead (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Baneguard (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Boneclaw (Monster Manual 3)
Bone Lord (S&S Creature Collection)
Burning Skeleton (Return To The Temple Of Elemental Evil)
Chosen One (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Crypt Thing (Fiend Folio 3e)
Deathlock (Libris Mortis)
Dread Warrior (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Eldritch Archer (Dragon Magazine #317)
Eye of Fear and Flame - CR8 (Book of Vile Darkness)
Eye of Fear and Flame - CR9 (Fiend Folio 1e)
Karrnathi Skeleton (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Painspeaker (Tome of Magic)
Serpentir (Mosnter Manual 5)
Skull Lord (Monster Manual 5)
Spawn of Kyuss (Monster Manual 2)

Non-Humanoid Creatures:

Bonebat (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Bone Naga (Monster Manual 2)
Dragonbone Golem (Draconomicon)

Templates:

Bone Creature (Book of Vile Darkness)
Bonesinger (Ghostwalk)
Curst (FR Monsters of Faerun II)
Death Knight (Monster Manual 2)
Dry Lich (Sandstorm)
Huecuva (Fiend Folio 3e)
Lich (Monster Manual)
Revived Fossil (Libris Mortis)
Skeleton (Monster Manual)
Skeleton, Fiery (Libris Mortis)
Skeleton, Nimble (Libris Mortis)
Skeleton, Soldier (Libris Mortis)
Skeleton, Vicious (Libris Mortis)

Adding more as you post them / I find them

And perhaps you can answer a bit of a conundrum for me:
Is a mummy a skeletal undead?
Answered below. In short: Not by a long (enough) shot.

EDIT: 090120 - 23:58: Removed the mummies, added the new updates, made a new column with 'non-humanoids'. I'd only need humanoids myself, but you went through the trouble of naming them, so :smallwink:

kjones
2009-01-20, 02:12 PM
Do the creatures have to be undead, or just skeletal?

Lenarizan
2009-01-20, 02:19 PM
Do the creatures have to be undead, or just skeletal?
I did have it up here as undead at first, but no. I meant skeletal.
They can be anything else their hearts once desired. :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2009-01-20, 03:29 PM
Painspeaker from Tome of Magic. pg 269 (6HD, CR 4)

Entombed (Frostburn pg 128) HD 16, CR 10

Banedead (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II pg16) HD6 CR 3

Baneguard (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II pg18) HD4 CR 2

Bonebat (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II) HD4 CR 2

Chosen One (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II) HD3 CR 2

Dread Warrior (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II) HD4 CR 3

Curst Template (Forgotten Realms Monsters of Fareun II pg87)

Dyllan
2009-01-20, 03:29 PM
There's this:

From Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (this is the semi-official 3.5 conversion of the 3.0 module)

Burning Skeleton: Medium undead; HD 5d12; hp 32; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +2; Grp +3; Atk +4 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 fire, slam); Full Atk +4 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 fire, slam); SA Fire; SQ Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, immune to fire/cold, undead traits; AL CE; SV Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +5; Str 12, Dex 14, Con --, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Climb +5, Hide +9, Listen +9, Move Silently +10, Search +7, Spot +9; Alertness, Weapon Finesse.

Immunities (Ex): Burning skeletons are immune to cold and fire. Because they lack flesh or internal organs, they have damage reduction 5/bludgeoning.

Undead Traits: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, diseases, and death effects. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

And then there's the Dragonbone Golem from the Draconomicon.

-Dyllan

Teron
2009-01-20, 04:34 PM
There's the Karrnathi skeleton (Eberron Campaign Setting) and the bone naga (Monster Manual 2 as a creature/Serpent Kingdoms as a template, if I'm not mistaken). Is Dragon material worth bringing up? Off the top of my head, I recall the eldritch archer from... *google search* ...#317.

Narmoth
2009-01-20, 05:12 PM
Is a mummy a skeletal undead?
I mean: Some photos of mummies portray them without flesh. Therefore my thought would be to simply slam a 'mummified' template on something that doesn't resemble the stereotypical mummy. But I've got a feeling that I might be doing something against common normalcy there. Eep![/spoiler]

In the real world, something is said to be mummified if it's preserved with most of it's skin and most of it's muscle tissue intact.
The concept of mummy rot stem from the fact that they still have tissue that potentially could have disease-carrying microorganisms preserved.
So I think you only should use the template on undead that have been buried for some time and have their flesh remaining. The difference from zombies is that they have been buried longer and aren't rotting at present in my opinion

Innis Cabal
2009-01-20, 05:14 PM
The Drowned, always The Drowned. No matter what you do

Lenarizan
2009-01-20, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, I'm compiling a lovely stack of paper of DEATH! for my players as we speak. Figuratively of course.

@ Narmoth. That's what I was thinking, but worded far better.
Mummies B Gone! :smallsmile:

Where do those come from then?

EDIT: Nevermind, found them: MM3. Didn't take them because the image showed a lot of flesh and the description didn't make me think otherwise. He'd stick out of the crowd of skeletons. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2009-01-20, 05:28 PM

I thought the Drowned was more of a zombie than a skeleton, though.

Don't forget the Death Knight! One of Xykon's copies was one after all.

Lenarizan
2009-01-20, 05:32 PM
I thought the Drowned was more of a zombie than a skeleton, though.

Don't forget the Death Knight! One of Xykon's copies was one after all.
I'm not. I just can't find him anywhere.
Which is bad, because I know he's around in one of my books and I even used that template before. :smalleek:

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 05:39 PM
Which is bad, because I know he's around in one of my books and I even used that template before. :smalleek:

Dragonlance Campaign Setting, maybe? It's either there or MM2.

Lenarizan
2009-01-20, 06:01 PM
Is Dragon material worth bringing up? Off the top of my head, I recall the eldritch archer from... *google search* ...#317.
Ah. Didn't answer this one yet.
Yup. Worth it to me.
I've got an enormous amount of dragon magazines here (pack rat, I know) and I should be able to look something up if it's named.

kjones
2009-01-20, 06:26 PM
Osyluth (sp), "bone devils", are the first thing that came to mind for me. Re-fluff them a bit if necessary.

AslanCross
2009-01-21, 07:39 AM

It's a template in the back of MM2.

Prometheus
2009-01-21, 09:04 AM
Aberration Skeletons probably shouldn't count unless they there is a reason that they should occur with other skeletons. Unless of course you decide to change it to Undead.

If you really want a high variety of skeletons. Be sure to spam the original template on a large variety of creatures.

Lenarizan
2009-01-21, 09:17 AM
Aberration Skeletons probably shouldn't count unless they there is a reason that they should occur with other skeletons. Unless of course you decide to change it to Undead.

If you really want a high variety of skeletons. Be sure to spam the original template on a large variety of creatures.
Oh I've got the part of undead, aberrations, other stuff worked out already.
As the good old emperor would say: "I will make it legal" :smallamused:

Greg
2009-01-21, 10:12 AM
Page 162 of Libris Mortis has additional templates to apply to skellies. Fiery, nimble, soldier and vicious.