PDA

View Full Version : DnD Club

twerk_face
2006-10-11, 06:47 PM
Ok. So, where i mainly game is a very large club, run by one of the local librarians and that costs money to play. It has 30+ people, and 4-5 DMs per a once/week 5 week long sesion. We don't use third ed. to play, but rather a fantastic hybrid of first and second (mainly taking from first), but with many rules that have been made up or differently interpretted than in the book to make it work better. The guy who runs the club had been playing since the 70s and has played with this "system" almost the whole time. It is constantly evolving, and is always changed when it need to be (for instance, if a rule is found to be broken, or one class is found to be nigh unplayable, such as first ed bards, or if spells need to be slightly changed to make the game more fair). The guy who leads the club has last say.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone ever done anything like this before?

I'm refering to both a first/second hybrid system, and a large club that plays. Please respond peeps, I'm dying to know.

Matthew
2006-10-12, 07:02 AM
A 1. x / 2.x hybrid system? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The two versions are so very similar that it is hard to understand what you mean. I suspect that what you are playing is 1.x with a number of 2.x rule changes. That was once pretty normal (hell, 1.x with a bunch of rules changes is what led to 2.x). Alternatively, he may be running 2.x, but retaining a few 1.x rules that were removed, but which he prefers.

I would have thought that large Gaming Clubs that all use the same unofficial system are fairly rare, but I couldn't say for sure. In my experience, the larger the Games Club, the more diverse the games.

twerk_face
2006-10-12, 07:12 PM
Well, the system just kind of picks and chooses. It has a whole lot of new spells, a slightly reworked theif skill system, and a whole new way to do dual-class. Dont ask me how the class sysem works, I couldnt tell ya, but if you want, i could share some spells/new theif skills.

fireinthedust
2006-10-13, 02:18 PM
I find systems like that (esp 1st and 2nd edition) tend to be very subjective. This means the creators are on a kind of popularity-thing rather than official rules systems. It's less logical or strategic and not as... mathematical. 2nd ed especially was a weird system for that.
Dms can also filter stuff really arbitrarily in them... though that happens everywhere.

What's your issue with it? Basically the system is the system. If you're going to play, that's one thing; if you're having group dynamics issues... well, that can be annoying.

would this be a d20 games issue, tho?

Jack Mann
2006-10-13, 02:23 PM
I find systems like that (esp 1st and 2nd edition) tend to be very subjective. This means the creators are on a kind of popularity-thing rather than official rules systems. It's less logical or strategic and not as... mathematical. 2nd ed especially was a weird system for that.
Dms can also filter stuff really arbitrarily in them... though that happens everywhere.

What's your issue with it? Basically the system is the system. If you're going to play, that's one thing; if you're having group dynamics issues... well, that can be annoying.

would this be a d20 games issue, tho?

From what I can read in his post, he doesn't have an issue with it. He's just curious if anyone else has played in a club like this.

twerk_face
2006-10-13, 04:20 PM
From what I can read in his post, he doesn't have an issue with it. He's just curious if anyone else has played in a club like this.

Well, that is exactly what I was trying to talk about, and i didn't say it anywhere in this thread, but I actually sort of DO have a problem with third ed. For instance, i had a friend who was playing a Fighter, and with alot of rule tweaking and new feats from the complete warrior, he was able to use a great sword as a ranged weapon. I just find that so ridiculas, and there are so many other things like that in the third ed system that it is hard for me to play with.

But, the main subject of this thread was just me wondering if anyone else has heard of such a club or system blend.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-13, 04:23 PM
Uhh. You could throw a greatsword in 2e to. It just required DM adjudication. And Throw Anything's not even that good a feat, its cool for awesome factor, throwing greatswords around and all, but there were much better feats introduced in CW, like, Arcane Strike, Power Critical, Shock Trooper, Combat Brute, Elusive Target etc.

twerk_face
2006-10-14, 01:22 PM
k people, the initial subject of this thread was to discuss the invironment in which you game and the system you game with in that environment.

Lets keep the edition arguments to other threads ;)

Erai
2006-10-14, 03:23 PM
As a short note about greatswords and 3rd edition: Greatsword + Whirling Blade (Complete Arcane 2nd lv spell) + Shape Spell feat= utter sillyness. And I shamefully admit that I use it, too :P

But until ten years ago I used to be a member of a clique of about 40 or so roleplayers... We have used about every RP system we could lay our hands on, but for the big campaigns we had our own insanely complicated homebrewn Gurps/WoD/AD&D/MERP/Miscellaneous hybrid. Creating characters without using a computer was simply not an option, and as for rules during play- I dunno, I never even tríed to understand them, and I wonder if ányone did... it was a hell of a way to prevent metagaming, I suppose ;D