PDA

View Full Version : Icewind Dale: A Playthrough

Mx.Silver
2009-01-20, 05:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago I spotted a thread about the various parties people had used when clearing Icewind Dale, and I was pleasently surprised to see that a few people seemed to have put a lot of the thought into their characters to the point that they had even imagined inter-party banter during scenes. This was something I had done when I last cleared it (which was a few years ago) and so I start felt like playing it through. So, after getting hold of my old copies of the game and Heart of Winter I reinstalled it and got it all patched up (and redownloaded Trials of the Luremaster) and settled down to play.

Then I thought: hang on a minute. Maybe someone else might be interested in this.
So I made this thread. If enough people express an interest then I may just give this thing a go. This probably won't be a true 'Let's Play!' as it will be quite fluff-orientated* (which means some meta coverage may be sacrificed e.g. re-loading after deaths/catastrohpic failures). Similarly you guys probably won't be able to contribute all that much to events I'm afraid, although I will try and leave some decisions up to you (such as when to do the expansion missions).

With that in mind we come to the issue of characters. Now I have quite a few concepts kicking around in my head (I always have character concepts kicking around in my head for some reason) but nothing concrete. What this means is that I'd be more than able to take some more mechanically orientated suggestions and springboard off that. Obviously these will be better suited as gender, race, class and alignment templates rather than epically detailed backstories (although if you have some notes on outlook or what the character could have done in the past. If you've got any good names than those would be appreciated as I'm not particularly good at them.

Finally, a few notes. First a disclaimer: I am not a fan of D&D so my knowledge of it is all second hand. Similarly I know little about the Forgotten Realms save from Black Isle and Bioware games so my treatment of background and alignment may not be entirely accurate so try and not let it get to you.
For characters I'm not really interested in building the Ultimate Party of Power: just as long as the group of six are reasonably balanced (i.e. a mix of fighting, spells and sneakiness). So if you think any of the less competitive classes might be interesting (e.g. multiclass characters as opposed to dual classed humans) then it's all good. I was thinking of playing a mostly (but not entirely) good-aligned party as this seems to fit the story better.

Right, I think that's about it so if you have any thoughts please share them.

*In case anyone is wondering whether I may be treating this as a creative writing excericse I would like to assure that nothing could be further from- Amnesia Dust!