PDA

View Full Version : Turning fellow pc's into hats

Tiak
2009-01-20, 06:58 PM
okay, so the other day we were playing the starwars RPG in the local gaming group (a nice break from D&D). long story short one of the other players was playing a bounty hunter of the yoda's species (whatever that is).
He was being a total jackass as always (pushing everyones butttons) so I took out my vibroblade, stabbed him to death (natural 20 woot!) and turned his head into a hat (like belkar did in oots). He then stormed out of the comic store we were playing at saying " I can't believe you F***ing killed me"
I just want to know if the giantitp community thinks this was too extreme (we already tried talking to him). the guys think it was funny and seemed to resolve our problem.

wadledo
2009-01-20, 07:00 PM
As long as somebody got the point, I don't think there ever is a problem.

Myou
2009-01-20, 07:04 PM
It is extreme, but if he was behaving badly enough and you'd already tried everything else it's hardly surprising.

Assassin89
2009-01-20, 07:07 PM
Your treatment of the other PC is better than having the DM say Sarlac appears everyone is digested.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 07:16 PM
Sadly our DM is prone to making us do stuff we don't want to do, For example a call came through on the comm for me and my friend we didn't want to answer it (for very good in game reasons) yet he said "well you do it anyway" . So that sarlac thing could very well happen next game. I hope it doesn't.....

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 07:19 PM
Sadly our DM is prone to making us do stuff we don't want to do, For example a call came through on the comm for me and my friend we didn't want to answer it (for very good in game reasons) yet he said "well you do it anyway" .

To be honest, that's not just railroading; that's overriding player choice to an extreme. Unless you guys were not answering just to be ass-hats (which, judging by you saying you had good in-game reasons, you were not), he should not have done such a thing. If this is a serious problem, you may want to try talking to him about it. Then again, if you're all still having fun, I guess there's no harm.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 07:32 PM
well me and my friend were working for this company that wanted us to betray the rest of the team by activating this rune thing that would release this monster thing that would destroy the universe. We didn't want to have the game end so abruptly and we didn't want our new characters to die (our old ones got blown up robbing a bank). After that the game went down hill.
were playing D&D again.

Grail
2009-01-20, 07:34 PM
IMO, you shouldn't kill another player's character like this. If they are being a d**k and are impacting on the other players fun, then this is going to potentially exacerbate the situation. You, and the other players should approach the DM and the player, expressing your concerns. All you are doing by making him into a hat is dropping to his level.

If neither the player or DM think there is a problem and refuse to rectify it, then it doesn't sound like a healthy gaming group, and I'd advocate a change.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 07:48 PM
Normally I would agree with you but my character was a scoundrel, as was everyone else. Plus as i said before Talking to this pc is impossible and the DM is unable to control the players (which is why were going to play D&D again).

Skaven
2009-01-20, 07:48 PM
Thats pretty awesome.

Optimystik
2009-01-20, 08:13 PM
I thought this thread would be about hilarious misuse of Polymorph Any Object :smallfrown:

Inhuman Bot
2009-01-20, 08:17 PM
I thought this thread would be about hilarious misuse of Polymorph Any Object :smallfrown:

Yeah, way to let us down. :smallfrown:

Myou
2009-01-20, 08:21 PM

Polymorph was my initial thought too. But I just couldn't see how to turn being a hat to a player's advantage.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 08:26 PM
why don't you make your own thread about Polymorph ant object misuse.
i am soooooo sorry to disappoint you all (sarcasm).

Templarkommando
2009-01-20, 08:28 PM
If he was really hindering the fun being had at the table, I think he probably deserved to have his character PKd.

Starscream
2009-01-20, 08:28 PM
Players should never make their characters behave in a way that spoils the fun for other players. Normally it's the DM's responsibility to put a stop to this sort of thing, but if he won't then a little vigilante justice is not out of the question.

Besides, Yoda would make a pretty sweet hat. Kind of a Star Wars version of those Mickey Mouse hats it's illegal not to wear while at Disney World.

And railroading DMs are the worst. If you can't deal with the players making their own decisions, then you've missed the point of collaborative storytelling.

And are you actually saying that he wouldn't let you not answer the phone, but didn't stop you from making a fellow PC into haberdashery? Seems like a bit of a double standard.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 08:32 PM
I thought the same thing about the Mickey Mouse hat (heh heh).

Daracaex
2009-01-20, 08:34 PM
You didn't try hard enough. If he was being an ass, don't just haul off and slice his head open. Grab him and throw him against the wall and threaten him or something like that. As long as it's in-character. If it doesn't work and the player being too unreasonable in-character, bring it to out of character. From the sound of your DM and this player and your reaction to people making a few harmless jokes, it doesn't sound like you have a very healthy play group anyway.

Tiak
2009-01-20, 08:40 PM
We go to bad places in our gaming group.......... This one time one of my payers died and the rest of the PC's had him reincarnated, I rolled on the table and he came back as a 10 year old girl, I'm just going to stop now, I'm going to bed before I talk more and hung by one of the moderators.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-20, 08:42 PM
i think characters should be held accountable - if they roleplay someone who winds everyone up, then its only natural they'll get backhanded with a lightsaber every once in a while

MickJay
2009-01-20, 08:50 PM
I was expecting something along the lines of WoD, Vicissitude and Flesh/Bonecrafting. Then again, using Vicissitude to reshape someone into merely a hat is still rather merciful...

Lappy9000
2009-01-20, 09:02 PM
okay, so the other day we were playing the starwars RPG in the local gaming group (a nice break from D&D). long story short one of the other players was playing a bounty hunter of the yoda's species (whatever that is).
He was being a total jackass as always (pushing everyones butttons) so I took out my vibroblade, stabbed him to death (natural 20 woot!) and turned his head into a hat (like belkar did in oots). He then stormed out of the comic store we were playing at saying " I can't believe you F***ing killed me"
I just want to know if the giantitp community thinks this was too extreme (we already tried talking to him). the guys think it was funny and seemed to resolve our problem.
Tiak's Character: ...And then I awaken from my premonition of things to come if (jerk PC) doesn't stop being a total (derogatory term).

Usually, saying something like that afterwards (implying that you were just daydreaming) is enough to get the point across. Besides, most DM's would rather roll with it than actually have to deal with a PK'd PC.

RavKal
2009-01-20, 09:07 PM
There's a guy who's sorta in our group who, by every standard, is great to talk to about D&D. But in actual gameplay, is not so fun. Either he's a player who demands that the DM do what he wants or he's a DM that the players do what he wants. So our solution is to...

Not Invite Him

Seriously, it's the easiest solution. Granted, the whole talking together and fixing problems is more ideal, but sometimes that's just what you're stuck with.

As for the in-game kill, if he had any inkling of what was coming, he has no right to be upset.