PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphing Player Characters into Hats

Lupy
2009-01-20, 09:34 PM
The next time one of my players is being an ass, I am going to polymorph him into a hat for the intelligence 5 never showers halfling fighter... :smallbiggrin:

Questions, comments, concerns?

Collin152
2009-01-20, 09:43 PM
I insist the hat resemble either the personality or reason for hatification of the afflicted party.

Assassin89
2009-01-20, 09:47 PM
Make the party member act like Elzo from Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap, where he attempts to make remarks and alerts whoever is wearing the hat to danger.

Optimystik
2009-01-20, 09:50 PM
Have the paladin use his detect evil power to be the Hogwarts Sorting Hat :smallwink:

*Hat-Sturm gets placed on Raistlin's head*
Hat-Sturm: SLYTHERIN!!

Iku Rex
2009-01-20, 10:04 PM
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "mad as a hatter". :smallwink:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 10:14 PM
I like it. I, being a traditionalist, would personally advocate a Belkar-like hat that just looks like part of the head of the transformed, but any sort of hat would be cool.

Optimystik
2009-01-20, 10:20 PM
It's a pity hats don't have an INT score. Think of the fun you could have messing with a nosy wizard or telepath's head! (i.e. they read the hat's thoughts instead of yours.)

Hmm, if you're wearing a hat-teammate and get hit by a fireball, do you both take damage? I guess he'd count as "attended," but I'm not sure. Could be a nice way for a high-level caster to run a gauntlet with his low level friends, by polymorphing them all into articles of clothing or something...

Flickerdart
2009-01-20, 10:31 PM
Make sure to justify it, even with the most loose ruling you can think of. PAO doesn't have permanent duration. The best you can do for a hat is 1 hour (Lower INT clause). 3 hours if it's a hat made from human skin. 2 days for a robe, since it would be roughly the same size.

Sure, you can use Epic Magic or DM fiat, but doing it by the book is a lot more satisfying. Unfortunately, Baleful Polymorph is animals only, else you could zap him into a small Animated Object, then PAO its animation away.

mikeejimbo
2009-01-20, 10:40 PM
I always preferred potted plants. Somewhere I have a table of random potted plants so that you can determine what to turn them into randomly, if you're tired of bowls of petunias.

xanaphia
2009-01-20, 10:49 PM
I always preferred potted plants. Somewhere I have a table of random potted plants so that you can determine what to turn them into randomly, if you're tired of bowls of petunias.

Hmm. I just turn annoying PCs into a random breed of chicken.

Unless they're already chickens.

I may have to make up a table, random chicken breeds.

An old DM always said "Tarrasque falls on top of you." What do you people's DMs say when you're being stupid?

Myou
2009-01-21, 03:13 AM
Ahhh, now this is more like it!

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-21, 03:29 AM
That sounds like it could be an amusing idea. How long would you keep them as hats for? If they really annoyed you, you could turn them into sandals or underwear.:smalltongue:

Kyouhen
2009-01-21, 03:31 AM
Hmm. I just turn annoying PCs into a random breed of chicken.

Unless they're already chickens.

I may have to make up a table, random chicken breeds.

An old DM always said "Tarrasque falls on top of you." What do you people's DMs say when you're being stupid?

My idiot-clearing weapon of choice is the Vorpal Ooze. It's an ooze made of swords. Solid swords. Yeah...

Also the hat idea's awesome. Though a more fun idea might be to turn them into a mace, with their head in the logical position. Throw them to the barbarian and let him beat some sense into him. :smallbiggrin:

Prometheus
2009-01-21, 09:24 AM
When players are being annoying I always say "Oh look at that, an arm grows out of your stomach and starts smacking you on the head."

I second Collin152 request however, if you are a PC taking the role of dispensing justice.