PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to make OotS-style avatars?

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 10:59 PM
I mean, is it something that will take months of practice to get them looking decent, or will a little patience and trial-and-error go a long way? Also, are there any threads that describe where I can get Inkscape (that's the free popular one, right?) and how to use it? Thanks so much!

Assassin89
2009-01-20, 11:01 PM
I suggest using Trazoi's inkscape tutorial (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/). I used it for creating my avatars.

Szilard
2009-01-20, 11:04 PM
You download inkscape from www.inkscape.org or somesuch.

Elder Tsofu
2009-01-21, 03:17 AM
And how long it takes... it depends.
But I suggest you put quite a lot of time into the eyes - that is something which many neglect.

And did I say that trazoi's tutorial is awesome? :smallsmile:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-01-21, 04:57 AM
Logistically, it's not that hard to make Burlewan avatars.

It's harder to make good-looking avatars, as with any art form. But compared to spending years studying art before making a grand masterpiece, I started making avatars in late 2007 and made my present one in mid-late 2008.

kpenguin
2009-01-21, 05:02 AM
Lying, why do you insist on calling OotS-style "Burlewan"?

Boo
2009-01-21, 05:46 AM
Burlewan (pronounced Bər - lū - an)

N./Adj.

A type of art style derived from Rich Burlew's internet comic "Order of the Stick".

Threeshades
2009-01-21, 06:00 AM
Lying, why do you insist on calling OotS-style "Burlewan"?

Probably because its more accurate. It wasnt the comic that invented the style. It was the artist.

@topic
All these avatars are just glorified stick figures. Personally my second avatar was already praised for being extremely reminiscent of Burlew's style. Over the time and threads of ABR i got a bit slobby about my style which made my avatars get their own individual style.

If you want to do avatars with close resemblance of the original style. all you need is a working vector art program and a good eye for how Rich does the things he do (expressions, poses of arms and legs and proportions most importantly). If you want your own stick figure style with elements of oots in it, just go ahead and try it.
Either way only a little patience and the right program are needed. And you will have your own oots-style avatar done in no time.

Dr. Bath
2009-01-21, 09:18 AM
Probably because its more accurate. It wasnt the comic that invented the style. It was the artist.

But OotS-style is as accurate, if not more so. Rich has said on numerous occasions that he's not restricted to this one style of art, it just works best in the comic. And the stick figures are different enough from what one might consider 'regular' (see: xkcd) to say that the comic did invent this particular strain of stick figures. That and it rolls off the tongue/inner voice much more easily than 'Burlewan' :smallyuk:

It's not too hard, just get a vector program and have a go. Practice and constantly looking at the strip will help most. Timing just depends, it can be anywhere between ten and fifty minutes for me to make one.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-21, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the help! Could anyone suggest to me the best format/size to save these things in from Inkscape? I'd like to use the one I just made as my avatar here. If the community deems my work good enough, I may even make a few for the adoption center!

The Neoclassic
2009-01-21, 07:47 PM
Success! Any critiques are welcome before I start work on more. :smallsmile:

Threeshades
2009-01-22, 07:25 AM
Nothing to complain about there! Perspnally i would move the ears down just a tiny bit and make the boots bigger, but otherwise its perfect. AND its a goblin, which gives you bonus points, because I love goblins! :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2009-01-22, 08:05 AM
I concur. :smallbiggrin:
But I would personal try to tilt the neckline and move the belt-buckle in the direction the body is facing. But then I never do my female avatars looking right out of the screen but more at an angle (That way are less complicated :smalltongue:).

You may want to try out a thicker line, I myself have moved up from 1.5 to 2.0 in several steps (agonising steps, for I had to upgrade all my templates every time...:smallfrown:) - but it is mostly a personal preference...

Keep up the good work!

banjo1985
2009-01-22, 10:27 AM
Very impressive for a first attempt. :smallsmile:

I think the lines are pretty fine, and you've used the tutorial to get the proportions pretty much spot on immediately. All the basic building blocks of a good avatar are there, the dynamic poses and little things that set an awesome avatar from a very good one will come with practice.

Best first attempt I've seen for a looooonnnnnng time.