PDA

View Full Version : Company of Heroes in the Playground

oreganoe
2009-01-21, 01:52 AM
Does anyone in the playground enjoy a good round of Company of Heroes now and again? Perhaps more importantly, would anyone be interested in meeting online for a game now and again?

Also, what are your favorite teams and strategies? I enjoy the British the most but I always seem to end up as the Panzer Elite which bodes ill for my teammates.

KnightDisciple
2009-01-21, 02:51 AM
I play it occasionally, tis pretty fun.
I tend towards the Americans, especially the airborne or infantry. I likes me some defensive goodness. If tanks were less of a "chore" to get, I'd probably do the tank option more often, but it really only seems to work for me in a team game with at least 2 others.

Brother Oni
2009-01-21, 03:13 AM
You needs lots of fuel for Armour company, hence why you need to team up with the British so their big caravans can park up on the fuel dumps. :smallbiggrin:

Have Relic implemented that balance patch yet? They've been collecting data for since the middle of last year, I believe.

I'll be interested in playing this more often, although I'm a bit rusty at the moment.

Fri
2009-01-21, 03:39 AM
I love company of heroes. Very much. It's one of the few games that I promised to myself to never uninstall.

Too bad that my internet connection doesn't allow me to play online.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-01-21, 07:52 AM
I bought it in the Steam Sales for around 50% off, but I still havnt gotten round to it :smallsad:

I played one map of the story mode, and it was really good.

GolemsVoice
2009-01-21, 08:14 AM
I played it for a while and really enjoyed it, the "real" tactical elements, like establishing a killzone, or indirect fire, or keeping the enemy holed up really make this game worthwhile. But I stopped playing (though I saved my saves) because the game tended to just crash, randomly, for no apparent reason. If anyone could help me with that, I'd be glad to resume playing.

Brother Oni
2009-01-21, 10:10 AM
We need more info to troubleshoot your problems (like where it crashes, does it crash to desktop or a full-on BSOD, etc), but I'll start with the obvious:

Are all your drivers (video, sound, motherboard) up to date? Is your directx up to date? Is the game patched to the latest version? Are you running Vista?

oreganoe
2009-01-25, 10:44 AM
Have Relic implemented that balance patch yet? They've been collecting data for since the middle of last year, I believe.

I'm not sure which patch you're talking about. There's a whole slew of them out there, it's possible one of them is it. Also, they have fixed up the internet multiplayer part of the game.

And if anyone would be interested in playing sometime please pm me. :smallbiggrin:

So, I've a question; how are the Panzer Elite supposed to beat the British Stuarts? Any units on the same tier get torn to shreds it seems. Infantry is no good (oh that horrible canister shot) and anything like the AT halftrack has no armor penetration.

warty goblin
2009-01-25, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure which patch you're talking about. There's a whole slew of them out there, it's possible one of them is it. Also, they have fixed up the internet multiplayer part of the game.

And if anyone would be interested in playing sometime please pm me. :smallbiggrin:

So, I've a question; how are the Panzer Elite supposed to beat the British Stuarts? Any units on the same tier get torn to shreds it seems. Infantry is no good (oh that horrible canister shot) and anything like the AT halftrack has no armor penetration.

Infantry can be good against the Stuart, you just have to keep them spread out, and far away. Sure you might lose a 'shrek squad, but if you kill the tank using a second, it's more or less a resource draw (particularly if you can scavenge your schreks back). If you go tank destroyer, you get access to Teller mines fairly early, which should do it. Additionally you can rush Marders or Panzer IVs, although this can lead to an underdeveloped infantry side. The AT Halftrack has crappy penetration, but can shoot out the Stuart's treads, leaving it dead in the water, where it can either be ignored or used to bait a trap for any Sappers sent to repair it.

GolemsVoice
2009-01-25, 11:13 AM
I had the latest updates for my graphics card and sound, though not my motherboard, as this is a territory I don't like to venture.
The game crashes the computer totally, forcing a complete reboot. It often does this at the beginning of a map, then, after rerunning CoH, runs more or less stable, until, sometimes after quite some time, an hour or so, crashes again, and the process repeats.

My system specifcations are:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
Asus Rockboard
2047 MB RAM

Windows XP SP 2

ATI Radeon HD 3600, 512 MB RAM

Any more information you need?

Brother Oni
2009-01-26, 03:55 PM
Sounds very odd...

Have you updated to the latest patch (2.301) using the right version for your game? I noticed from your location, you appear to be in Germany, so I assume you're using German windows with a German localisation of the game and are using the German version of the patch (the game should do this automatically)?

While it should run fine in XP SP2, you may want to think about getting SP3, although as it includes that Windows genuine software checking thing, you may have reasons for not installing it. :smallwink:

Given that the game crashes almost immediately on running, then works fine for an hour or so after a full reboot suggests one of two things - not enough memory or an overheating problem.

Try monitoring the temperature of your CPU/motherboard after playing the game for a bit to see if it's tripping some automated temperature shutdown trigger in your motherboard settings.
If it is temperature based, try cleaning the fans inside your machine in case they're clogged with dust (I use a hoover over all the fans and heatsinks after unplugging my machine) or installing a case fan to see if that helps.

If it's a memory problem, then it's likely to be the virtual memory settings (you have enough RAM). If you're feeling confident, you can double check this by going to Control Panel-System-Advanced tab-Performance Settings-Advanced tab-Virtual memory then changing that to System Managed size. You'll also need a couple GB of hard drive space spare.

Let me know if any of this helps.

GolemsVoice
2009-01-26, 04:01 PM
I will initiate a memory check, to see if it is a section of corrupted RAM, since the PC sometimes crashes just for fun once verey day while playing other games, too. I don't think it's a heat issue, though I will chekck this sometime. At the moment I'm busy playing WoW and Fallout 3, so I have deinstalled CoH due to lack of space on my harddisk.
Thanks for the help, you were actually the first to help me. I'll let you know what the RAM-test says.