PDA

View Full Version : Missile Storm [Feat]

Triaxx
2006-10-11, 01:58 PM
This is supposed to go with a modified Magic missile. It's balanced for it, but will work without, though it's too strong if moved down.

Magic Missile
As usual, but additional missiles are gained every three levels for a maximum of five at level fifteen.

Missile Storm
Prerequistes: Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (Evocation), Lv. 18
Effect: You may cast two standard magic missile spells as a single standard action once perday.

Improved Missile Storm
Prerequites: Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (Evocation), Lv. 24
Effect: You may elect to do one of the following:

Cast one Meta magiced Magic Missile, and one normal, once per day, as a standard action.
Or
Cast two Standard Magic Missiles as a standard action twice per day.

Devised on our third try at a powerful bandit encampment. We knew they were too powerful for us, but we didn't want to go around, or try something else. Finally we came up with this. Worked like a charm.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-11, 02:21 PM
Seems a bit under powered.

soylentplaid
2006-10-11, 04:50 PM
If it were me, Missile Storm would, instead, add two missiles per three levels instead of one, to a max. of 10 (incl. 2 to start). Or perhaps in an epic minded campaign, simply removes the max limit (20 missiles at level 60!) Or both (40 missiles at 60!). A lot for a 1st level spell? Sure, but if you're spending feats on it that may be mitigated.

Triaxx
2006-10-11, 06:27 PM
Does seem underpowered, but once you realize that with this feat you can disrupt 10 different casters with a single action.

soylentplaid:
An interesting idea certainly, but if you've got an epic campaign, don't you have more powerful spells?

Miles Invictus
2006-10-12, 02:09 AM
How do you use Magic Missile to disrupt casters? You can't cast Magic Missile as an immediate action, which is the only way I can see of forcing a Concentration check with the spell.

Triaxx
2006-10-12, 10:22 AM
Bleh, too much time playing 2nd edition. I keep forgetting the changes.

Does make it under powered then doesn't it... Suggestions?

Miles Invictus
2006-10-12, 11:44 AM
The feat could lower the spell level of Magic Missile, so that it can be cast from 0th level slots. Or, it could do continual damage like an Acid Arrow...which would force Concentration checks. Or it could let you cast Magic Missile as an immediate action once per round, which would be really powerful (mainly because of the potential for disruption). Or, it could raise the cap on the number of missiles launched per spell.

Triaxx
2006-10-12, 06:37 PM
Hmm... How about being able to cast the spell, and have them orbit like Ioun Stones, to fire individually as a caster started? Make it one spell per day, giving a set number of disruptions. And double the number of missiles per spell.

Jack Mann
2006-10-12, 06:44 PM
How do you use Magic Missile to disrupt casters? You can't cast Magic Missile as an immediate action, which is the only way I can see of forcing a Concentration check with the spell.

The same way you do it with an arrow. You ready an action.

Miles Invictus
2006-10-12, 08:57 PM
I...but...but...but...oh. OH.

I knew that. Honest. :-[

TheOOB
2006-10-12, 10:42 PM
A feat that enhances a single specific spell a single way will pretty much always be underpowered. I better idea would be to simply make higher level spells that can shoot more missiles, in fact NWN beat me to it with Issac's (greater) Missile Storm. If im correct the normal version is level 4 and shoots 10 missiles, and the greater version is level 6-7 and shoots 20 missiles.

Fizban
2006-10-13, 03:24 AM
^ Yup, except the storms in NVN dealt 2d6 per missle no save. Focused on one target. Beat the final boss with two or three castings. Would have ruined the game if it hadn't been my third runthrough.

Back on topic, I would make a third level version, calling it magic missile storm. It would work the same, except throw 1 missile/level max 10 missiles. (the chain missile and force missile spells in the Spell Compendium attempt this, but they're not so good). Then I would make a 5th level version with a max of 15 missiles, see the pattern? :)

Triaxx
2006-10-13, 05:47 PM
Which would lay down a twenty missile version at level 9.

So go with a feat like so:

Missile Swarm
Prerequisites: Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (Evocation), Lv. 10
Effect:Once per day, you may cast any of Lesser/Greater Magic Missile, Lesser/Greater Magic Missile Storm, and have the generated missiles orbit you similar to an Ioun Stone. Each missile may be launched as an immediate action. If the missile is launched at a caster in mid cast, a concentration check occurs.

Standard Magic Missile becomes lesser. At level three is Lesser Magic Missile Storm.

Should the missiles scale upwards the way Magic missile does? Start with one or so and add more per level, or should it start with more missiles and then add more?

It also gives me a second idea:

Missile Armor
Prerequisites:Spell Focus (Evocation), Lv. 6
Effects: Once per day you may cast Magic Missile, or a similar spell. The projectiles from this spell will actively launch to intercept incoming projectiles. Missiles use BAB of caster to determine chance to hit. Lasts 1d4+caster level/turns.