PDA

View Full Version : Fudge, delicious fudge...

Mathis
2009-01-21, 05:55 AM
Evenin' goodfolk. I want to begin my debut as a threadmaker here on Giantitp by talking about something I am very fond of, mainly fudge. No, not the delicious, caramellish, tasty british candy, or the cheating(fudging the dice), but the roleplaying system. Me and my friends have been using it for years, along with various forms of DnD, and we have concluded that so far, it is the best system for roleplaying we have tried. I must add we have added a few houserules for simplicity, making it somewhat more freeform-ish.

We even went so far as to start our own blog where we are going to post most of the hilareous happenings that have taken place in our awesome DM's world. Link to which contained in spoiler:
www.fudgemunch.wordpress.com (http://www.fudgemunch.wordpress.com)

What I'd like from this thread is a place where fellow fudgers can share experiences with the system, both good and bad, and do feel free to read our stories and comment on them.

TamerBill
2009-01-21, 08:46 AM
The way I see it, Fudge isn't an RPG system, it's an RPG-system-creation-kit. You can't run Fudge 'out of the box' (which is a shame because then you could call it vanilla Fudge) but it's a good base on which to build something that suits your group. There's no house rules in Fudge, only new rules; the 'core' itself is just a bunch of (often mutually incompatible) suggestions.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-21, 08:59 AM
You misled me. I thought this was going to be a thread for swapping fudge recipes, or a link to an online confectionery that had particularly good fudge. There is no fudge here. I DEMAND COMPENSATION!

I need to stop skipping breakfast.:smallsigh:

Mathis
2009-01-21, 10:15 AM
Hahaha, well, if done right I guess you won't need breakfast if you enough Fudge... And to TamerBill, I have to agree completely with your description. A system-creation kit is a very good description really. If you people have any good stories to tell from hilarity filled situations derived from a fudge game, please feel free to share them.

Llama231
2009-01-21, 10:16 AM
Here is your fudge.
It is kind of large...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Mackinacfudgeshop_turtle.jpg

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-21, 10:55 AM
Here is your fudge.
It is kind of large...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Mackinacfudgeshop_turtle.jpg

Holy sha-moly! That fudge cube is bigger than my head!

This thread is making me hungry.

Serensius
2009-01-22, 01:42 PM
Very interesting project! The stories are very intriguing so far; post more!

Athaniar
2009-01-22, 02:34 PM
Ah, fudge, it is my favorite ca... Wait, role playing system?

*Reads though rule-PDF* (http://www.fudgerpg.com/files/pdf/fudge_1995.pdf)

I prefer the candy. And Wushu.

valadil
2009-01-22, 03:02 PM
Are there any good explanations of Fudge beyond the 105 page pdf? I'm at work so I don't have time to do that much reading, but I'm interested in Fudge because I've been told it sounds very similar to a system I'd been designing. I'd like to see if Fudge is close enough that I either wouldn't have to design my own system or could mooch all of Fudge's good ideas.

Edge of Dreams
2009-01-22, 05:30 PM
Are there any good explanations of Fudge beyond the 105 page pdf? I'm at work so I don't have time to do that much reading, but I'm interested in Fudge because I've been told it sounds very similar to a system I'd been designing. I'd like to see if Fudge is close enough that I either wouldn't have to design my own system or could mooch all of Fudge's good ideas.

The pdf size is misleading. A massive amount of it is taken up by character examples and optional add-ons such as a magic system that you really don't need to read at all to understand the game.

Knaight
2009-01-22, 05:31 PM
Yes. Right now there is FATE and Spirit of the Century on the one side, the other has the Expanded Edition and the 10th anniversary edition, both with a lot of extra material. The 10th anniversary edition is more complete, and given the whole out of print thing, is probably cheaper. There is also a forum(www.fudgeforum.com), which has a lot on it, and the Fudge Factor Web Magazine(free) which is down right now due to consolidation with a few other sites which also relate to Fudge. That and a lot of web material from people who have made settings and such, if you can dig up the fudge copy of The Orb its pretty cool, and I remember somebody made Halo in Fudge at some point. Its a versatile little system (anything that can handle both high fantasy and a game where the players are experimental robots in a hard sci fi world, with one book for both of them is).

Personally, its my favorite system, by a huge margin. Followed by Wushu and Risus for the rules light stuff, and Mutants and Masterminds or Shadowrun for the rules heavy stuff. Or I just swipe from those two and import.

EDIT: Ninjaed, but because I'm dumb I totally forgot to list one of the best short examples. Four Page Fudge covers the basics of the mechanics, nothing on character generation, magic for games that have it, superpowers for games that have them, cybernetics for games that have them, etc. but it works.