PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Help me pick a class, please.

Burley
2009-01-21, 10:25 AM
So, my swordmage died. Whatevs.
I need to make a new character, and I'm torn. On one hand, I can play a Dwarven Fighter focusing on reach weapons and tripping over damage. On the other, I can play a Gnome Feylock, focusing on not wasting my time trying to hit AC.
Here's the party composition:
Dragonborn Fighter
Dragonborn Warlord
Dwarven Cleric
(Race N/A) Ranger
(Race N/A) Warlord (maybe, still in the air)

Something to keep in mind, the Warlords and I will be switching places DMing every once in a while. The Dragonborn will be a player usually, but will fill in gaps between the N/A warlord and I.

So, I want to have something that will fill a gap, but not something that'll be necessity. I feel that I could do it with either the fighter or the feylock.
I'll probably discuss more later, but let's see what kind of votes/suggestions I get.

insecure
2009-01-21, 10:32 AM
I'd go for the feylock, simply because you don't have a warlock in your party already.

Hal
2009-01-21, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you could use a Controller and another Striker. Warlock sounds really good, and a Wizard wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

Rogue might be a good third choice, but you'll still be lacking on control, especially AoE effects.

Limos
2009-01-21, 11:00 AM
You should be a Rogue, your party doesn't have a Skillmonkey.

You'll be stymied by the first locked door you come across.

Grynning
2009-01-21, 11:06 AM
I recommend warlock or wizard with a feat/racial feature (if you're eladrin) spent to get thievery training. It would balance out the group.

Burley
2009-01-21, 11:23 AM
Well, there is a pretty hefty chance that, by the time the PHB2 comes out, I'll be dead again. That's when I'll play a controller. I've gotten my use out of the Wizard. Thunderwave is fun, moving enemies is the kind of control I enjoy. Not just debuffs. That's not fun. (I loved my Swordmage for that reason, but I can't use the same class twice in a row.)

Asbestos
2009-01-21, 11:54 AM
You should be a Rogue, your party doesn't have a Skillmonkey.

You'll be stymied by the first locked door you come across.

Warlocks get Thievery as a skill choice as well. That being said... Drow Dark Pact Warlock. Or Goblin/Gnome/Kobold Warlock, because your party also doesn't seem to have any small sized PCs either, and everyone knows that you have to have one of those.

Artanis
2009-01-21, 12:58 PM
So, my swordmage died. Whatevs.
I need to make a new character, and I'm torn. On one hand, I can play a Dwarven Fighter focusing on reach weapons and tripping over damage. On the other, I can play a Gnome Feylock, focusing on not wasting my time trying to hit AC.
Here's the party composition:
Dragonborn Fighter
Dragonborn Warlord
Dwarven Cleric
(Race N/A) Ranger
(Race N/A) Warlord (maybe, still in the air)

Something to keep in mind, the Warlords and I will be switching places DMing every once in a while. The Dragonborn will be a player usually, but will fill in gaps between the N/A warlord and I.

So, I want to have something that will fill a gap, but not something that'll be necessity. I feel that I could do it with either the fighter or the feylock.
I'll probably discuss more later, but let's see what kind of votes/suggestions I get.
So let's see here...

You have a Ranger, a Cleric, and at least one Warlord in the party at any given time. You then add some combination of two out of Warlord, Fighter, and you.

Go with the Feylock.

If you go with the Fighter, especially a "not focusing on damage" Fighter, your damage output as a party is going to be low, to put it mildly. It'll take a hundred rounds for enemies to kill anybody, but that'll go the other way as well. So more damage would benefit the party even more than yet another low-damage, high-durability PC. Plus, Warlocks are secondary Controllers, and between a Controller-ish build and the Dragonborn, you should be able to get away with not having a Wizard.