PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of the month - price my item!

insecure
2009-01-21, 10:29 AM
Items aren't my strongest side, and especially if they don't offer any of the abilities and effects described in the Dungeon Master's Guide, which just makes them even harder to price. So, now, I'm calling out help from the playground. I want you to: Price My Item!

On another note, I'm sorry if the wording is too unclear. It's a bad habit of mine, and I'd be grateful if anyone cared to clear it a bit up.

Anyway, here's the item:

Caller's Chalk

This seemingly innocent piece of chalk is in fact the result of hard work concerning the very elements that binds the universe together and what makes some creatures unable to reach other sites without magical help. Faintly glowing with a dim blue light, the Caller's Chalk is used by most spellcasters that rely on calling and summoning.

Abilities: You may use this piece of chalk to draw up a circle on the ground before you cast any spells with the [Calling] or [Summoning] subtypes. This takes a full-round action, and any attacks dealing damage to you interrupts you.

If you succeed on this task and you cast a spell with the [calling] or [summoning] within the next minute, you are considered under the effects of the Augment Summoning feat for the purpose of that spell. However, the creature to be called or summoned must be called/summoned in the square that the circle was drawn in.

If you already possess the Augment Summoning feat, you are considered to have taken the feat two times and both stack with each other.

However, the chalk doesn't last forever, and it is destroyed after its tenth use.

Other: Conjuration; Craft wondrous item; Summon monster III (or higher)

Frog Dragon
2009-01-21, 10:47 AM
I would not peg it very high. Maybe 5000 gp or around that. It's finite and more time consuming than regular summons. I'd never use it for combat summons. For calling it has its uses though as you can grant a long-time servant a permanent buff which shouldn't be handwawed away, but it's easy to repicate and not that big.
Just my two cents. I am not that experienced though so other people might have ideas that have more experience to back them up.:smallsmile:

The Mentalist
2009-01-21, 10:52 AM
Alright pricing this as a wand (because it sort of is)

Considering Augment Summoning equivalent to Bull's Strength.

2x3x750=2250
but only 10 charges so 750g by my math
or as a wondrous item 1500g usable by anyone but not taking a slot.

sigurd
2009-01-21, 02:37 PM
I like it. The game feature would be to make this the _only_ way of summoning certain things. A particular figure etc....

All of a sudden it could be pivotal in an adventure. I like that its chalk and can't really be recharged. Bigger more powerful summons might also need bigger more complex circles which would use more chalk :).

Sigurd