PDA

View Full Version : MTG: Need some advice on building this deck.

Fawsto
2009-01-21, 01:14 PM
Sup,

Now, me and my friends are new to the MTG universe, but we have already played a lot and build several decks in the short time between our first cards (1 year ago, tops) and today. We also know a lot about the rules, since we used to discuss a lot during games. This has turned us into competitive MTG freaks...

Now, I have this concept here: A Deck made to Manipulate and take benefit from -1/-1 counters, with a little tendency to crature control (I mean heavy) and creature stealing (from the graveyard)

I am particularly fond of the Necroskitter (1 Bck Bck, 1/4 Wither, Steals dead creatures that had -1/-1 counters on them) and the Kulrath Knight (3 Red/Bck Red/Bck, 3/3 Wither, Flying, Pacisfism on opponent creatures wiht any kind of counters), but I also enjoy the Midnight Banshee (3 Bck Bck Bck, 5/5 Wither, Puts -1/-1 counters on every non-black creature at the begining of my upkeep) which cannot effect black creatures.

Now, I need to put a deck to use them the best way I can. My most recent seep trought the gatherer showed me that a 3 colored deck (Black, Red and Green) is mostly possible if I apply the correct lands. This concept is looking good to me due to the recent colections, since Lorwyn and Shadowmoor Blocks had a lot of counters and the Shard of Jund is also "counter happy".

My sweep also revealed some other cards that I could use. Remember here that this deck is mostly to friend vs friend, so it does not need to be qualified on any of the "T"s. But also remember that my friends have some nasty decks, so this one must be strong. So, these are the cards I'd like to use, but you are all free to present others, of course. Open the spoiler box for them.

-Kulrath Knigh
-Necroskitter
-Midnight Banshee
-Soul Snuffers
-Boggart Ram Gang
-Noxious Hatchling
-Shield Sphere (this one is old)
-Putrify (Good and old Golgari creature/artifact destruction)
-Puncture Blast
-Scar
-Puncture Bolt
-Naturalize (this one is mostly a side card, since my friends have some nasty enchantments)
-Fate Transfer (this is a card combo with the Hatchlings and also has amazing "I win" effects)
-Beacon of Unrrest
-Crumbling Ashes
-Grave Pact
-Flourishing Defenses

A think this deck can also work without the red mana, turning it into a Green Black deck.

Can you guys help me?

Brother Oni
2009-01-22, 08:01 AM
So essentially, you want a green/black wither deck based around necroskitter?

If you're planning to drop the red (three colour decks can be tricky without sufficient mana fixers), then drop the Ram Gang as GGG will be hard to play.

Grief Tyrant and Incremental Blight are ideal cards to add in.

Depending on whether this is intended for multiplayer or one on one games, I'd take out Gravepact as you need a couple more return from graveyard effects.

On that note, Animate Dead, Ashen Powder or anything similar would be useful.

Shield Sphere is an odd card to have (it gives -0/-1 counters), so I'd drop it.

Anything with persist would be a nice card to have: Aerie Ouphes , Murderous Redcap, Rendclaw Trow would be ideal.

Post up your first deck list and then we can make other comments about it.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot the Quillspike/Devoted Druid combo!

As a side note, it'd be good if you learnt the standard nomenclature for mana:
B = Black, U = Blue, W = White, G = Green, R = Red.

Thus a Hill giant which costs one red and three colourless would have 3R.
A Force of Nature which costs four green and two colourless would be 2GGGG.