PDA

View Full Version : Sending packages to unknown adress in the us

skyclad
2009-01-21, 01:56 PM
So, a silly question. I want to surprise a person Ive been chatting with with a gift for her birthday, but I don't know her adress and asking would be kind of a give away.. So I ask you, if you know any way I can send a package to like, a post office or something, and then tell her to pick it up there. Probably not but no stupid questions right..

Jack Squat
2009-01-21, 02:07 PM
Not that I know of...well, save a P.O. box, but I don't think you can set one of those up online anyways.

You could try to covertly get an address...name (of who land is registered to) and city is usually enough for people to find others. A home phone # can work as well.

UncleWolf
2009-01-21, 02:13 PM
So, a silly question. I want to surprise a person Ive been chatting with with a gift for her birthday, but I don't know her adress and asking would be kind of a give away.. So I ask you, if you know any way I can send a package to like, a post office or something, and then tell her to pick it up there. Probably not but no stupid questions right..

The mailing restrictions in the US are pretty strict, so I doubt you can. Do you know any of her friends?

Jimorian
2009-01-21, 02:16 PM
I think what you want is known as "general delivery". Not sure if it's still offered, but you basically address it as:

Person Name
c/o General Delivery
Anytown, State, 99999

The zip would determine the specific Post Office the package would end up at.

{GoogleFu} Ah, here: http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesfordelivery/receivemailinotherplaces.htm

What I'm not sure after reading that is if that's something the other person has to request first, or if you can do it then let them know. Call your local PO to ask. (EDIT: Well, "local" won't help the OP, but you might be able to get somebody to call to ask for you, with particular emphasis on shipments from overseas as part of the query).

Kelmeras
2009-01-21, 06:27 PM
I'd recommend using UPS or a similar packaging service. I used to have problems with boxes and envelopes being stolen off of my porch, but not since I've had the items held at UPS.

The items are always addressed to me, but have the UPS's street address as opposed to my own. The sender includes my cell phone number next to my name on the packaging label, and UPS calls me when they receive the item.

Canadian
2009-01-21, 09:55 PM
I'm sure you can ask a friend or family member who knows her and they'll give you the address. Then you can send it right to her without any hassle.

If nobody knows her address it's better to ruin the surprise and have the gift actually get there.

If she does not have enough time to pick it up they'll send it back to the shipping hub and then eventually back to you at your expense.

Jack Squat
2009-01-21, 10:10 PM
I'm sure you can ask a friend or family member who knows her and they'll give you the address. Then you can send it right to her without any hassle.

If nobody knows her address it's better to ruin the surprise and have the gift actually get there.

If she does not have enough time to pick it up they'll send it back to the shipping hub and then eventually back to you at your expense.

I still say all you really need is parent's name (if living with them) and city, both which should be common knowledge if you're considering sending a gift. Phone # would be better, and actually asking for the address is best, but it's not the only way to figure it out if you can't ask anyone else.

Totally Guy
2009-01-22, 07:38 AM
Next time your'e chatting you say that you've been looking for your house on google maps satellite view, then when she stars to tell you how it's done you show her "This is where I live" then ask where she lives and say you want to see it from above.

I'm sure you can weedle her address out of that converation with some careful cunning.

Quincunx
2009-01-22, 07:44 AM
The real names go into the addresses, but putting the online names somewhere on the envelope wouldn't hurt either--that changes the envelope from "creepy mail out of nowhere" to ". . .ohhh, that guy!"

Felixaar
2009-01-22, 10:23 AM
Plenty of good options here, but I would warn you to be careful - the girl might love a suprise, but she might also be scared to think that someone who doesnt know her adrress posted her something.

Erloas
2009-01-22, 12:34 PM
In many cases you can simply look up the name in one of many online phone books and at least narrow it down. It depends though if they will be in the phone book. If they are living with their parents it would be under their parents name, if they are in college and moving a lot they are never going to have an accurate address and probably only have a cell phone anyway which doesn't end up in the phone book. It also depends where they live, if its a big city there could be a lot of people with the same name, if its a smaller town and not a common name it shouldn't be too hard.

I did have a teacher that had said he could mail stuff to his parents with a first name and a zipcode and nothing else, but he was from a very small town. (it came up because it was in a class about how phone systems used to work and comparing them to other systems and how each have changed with technology)

As for the creepy stockerish sort of thing that might come from this sort of thing, well that depends a lot on how long you have been talking and about what sorts of stuff. It might be best to just ask, if they weren't expecting anything it will still be a bit of a surprise to know its being sent in the first place. And knowing how some of these internet things can go it could save a lot of problem, if for instance she is seeing someone (or living with them) and has been hiding that from both of you. With no idea on ages, or situations, (at least I don't) there is a lot of different things that could be going on.

Canadian
2009-01-22, 01:19 PM
What are you mailing to her?

A box full of human hair?

snoopy13a
2009-01-22, 01:34 PM
You could buy an online gift certificate and send it to her via e-mail.

You could probably get her address by saying something like you're going on vacation somewhere and you'd like to send her a postcard. I wouldn't recommend this though and my advice is forget about the surprise and say that you want to send her a little gift for her birthday and you'd like her mailing address.

Serpentine
2009-01-22, 01:49 PM
Couple of possibilities, more or less echoing everyone else:
1. Ask for an exchange of addresses, "in case we feel like writing to each other".
2. Online directories.
3. Talk to a friend of hers, if you can.