PDA

View Full Version : Craft (Device)??

kanachi
2006-10-12, 06:45 AM
I was wondering if anyone had made (or knew of) any rules for a craft skill that allows you to make machines, devices and clockwork items (focusing on fantasy technology rather than magical construction). All the major craft skills seem to require some level of spell caster and that’s not really the flavour I’m after here. I’m after more of an inventor than an magical enchanter.

Thanks!

Caelestion
2006-10-12, 06:53 AM
Craft: Clockwork? Craft: Traps? Craft: Metalwork?

kanachi
2006-10-12, 09:40 AM
Sorry I probably didn't explain myself very clearly, basically I’m after help on ideas such a pseudo-technological items such a character could make. What kind of checks, Dc's and time requirements would be required and any other ideas you might have.

The character in question is a living psion-warrior construct (so a bit of a weird character) and he wants to dabble in technology and be able to build things of a pseudo-technological nature without having to become a spell caster.

Ideas I have had thus far are:

Upgrade a standard item to masterwork.

Upgrade a masterwork item to +1.

Constructing small items (I’m not after very powerful stuff) light grenades, smoke bombs, nail bombs, magnifying glass, spyglass, water clock, etc…

create some sort of tiny clockwork insect such as a dragonfly or stag beetle who can perform minor tasks with average intelligence (would probably act more as a vestal for the characters own psionic powers).

I would love to know any ideas/suggestions you guys have though! :)

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 12:20 PM
There's no existing schema to do such things. I usually use Craft (Steamworks) myself, but then again it fits with my homebrew world.

HellFencer
2006-10-12, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest that you use Craft (engineering), as it can emcompass steam technology, clockwork parts, and some of the more advanced building techniques during that time period. DC's, I don't have time to come up with. Though, depending on the campaign setting, it should probably be rather high (unless you're talking time periods near renaissance (sp?) or later).

Eighth_Seraph
2006-10-12, 06:44 PM
I think engineering would be more appropriate as a Knowledge skill, but that's not the problem right now. Your mention of a moving machine that can act intelligently without magical help sends up red flags. Maybe a little wind-up toy that you could set up with a Scry spell so that you can slip it in the crack under a door and look into the room while your psi-crystal is off getting a birds-eye view of the whole town; that make sense for a skilled toymaker or clockmaker. The problem is that exerting indirect control ocer something, especially giving things some sort of programming, would require magic in any non-modern non-future setting.

Now I think that I may have hit the answer, at least partially, to your question in the above paragraph. Craft (toymakng) would be a lot of fun in dungeons to make a little rat or two out of some spare wood, make a round hollow in it, then toss an energy ball into a pint or so of pre-made quintessence, then once you wind it up and scurries into an enemy guardhouse and makes it into the center of the room, use Telekinetic Force to get the quintessence back into your jar, and you have a very effective first strike.

Fizban
2006-10-12, 08:01 PM
Craft [Technological Device] in the Warcraft campaign setting. Pretty much requires the tinker class presented, but thats what it uses. The rules are really vague and making up new machines would require more DM adjudication than magic items.