14||||||||||||||||
15||||||||||||||||
16||||||||||||||||
17||||||||||||||||
18||||||||||||||||
19||||||||||||||||
20||||||||||||||||
[/table]

Place yourselves in 1-4, or in any formation you choose.

Please use the forum roller [roll=example ]xdy+z[/roll ].

Roll a Knowledge: Planes check for anyone with the skill to ID the monsters.

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 05:51 PM
Init:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 06:10 PM
Wait, I'm fighting 4 O's, 5 P's, and 4 K's:
What ECL is this?

Tiki-tik is H-18
Grentel is H-17
John Rivers is I-17
Vincent is I-18

Knowledge check: Planes: 1d20+19 = 1d20+19
1d20+19

1d20+4

1d20+2
1d20+3
1d20+7

edit: Hmm, roller not doing anything: what did I type wrong?

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 06:40 PM
No looking things up!!!!

And this is EL14, an appropriate APL10 1/day encounter. If you want a lower EL, you would have to fight 3-4 encounters, which will take too long. Is that ok? Also, O and C are each one large size monster.

The roller syntax is thus:

[roll=DESCRIPTION]xdy+z[/roll ] without that space after /roll

Thats all you need. For descriptions, put things like:
[roll=Dan Init]1d20+2[/roll ]
[roll=Mike Fort]1d20+16[/roll ]
or
[roll=Steve Primary]1d20+10[/roll ] [roll=Primary Dmg]2d6+7[/roll ]

got it?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 06:54 PM
Don't worry, I won't look.

1d20+19

1d20+4

1d20+2
1d20+3
1d20+7

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 07:01 PM
Another thing, you can't edit rolls after you make em, so double check your syntax! Don't worry about it, I'll roll your inits:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

And your Kn: Planes was a 34, so you know:
1 fact about O
1 fact about C
3 facts about K
4 facts about P

What do you want to know?

EDIT:
Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John
K
P
O

So...pick your facts and choose your actions for Vincent, Tiki, and Grantel.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 07:09 PM
Doesn't the knowledge skill tell me what they are called?

O: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would also tell me about fire immunity, since I know all do, etc)
Immunities not from type.

P: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)
Immunities from type.
Weaknesses

k: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)
Weaknesses
AC? (that would be useful info I'd think, hehe)

C: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 07:20 PM
O: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would also tell me about fire immunity, since I know all do, etc)
Oimozon [Chaotic] [Lamenti] [Extraplanar]
Immunities - None

P: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)
Immunities from type.
AC? (that would be useful info I'd think, hehe)
Weaknesses
Polytrotos [Chaotic] [Lamenti] [Extraplanar]
Immunities - None
Weaknesses - None

k: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)
Weaknesses
Kataklaion [Chaotic] [Lamenti] [Extraplanar]
Immunities - None
Weaknesses - None

C: What Types: Subtypes/major types (like if Fire subtype would tell me about fire immunity, etc)
Cheimothnes [Chaotic] [Lamenti] [Extraplanar] [Cold]
Immunities - Cold
Vulnerabilities - Fire

That it? Your actions.

PS - Don't roll in Edits It messes up. Just make a new post. I'm not gonna report you for double posting! ;)

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 07:23 PM
Vincent: Arrow of Dusk [roll0]
[roll1]

Tiki: -2 from range, I'll reroll any that miss using reroll ability next post:
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]

Grentel: activates Resistance aura (so everyone within 30 ft gets resist 5 acid)
Activates Shroud of the Night as a standard action on himself (he has total concealment now). He moves H-14.

afroakuma
2009-01-21, 07:23 PM
*amused*

This I've gotta watch.

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 07:25 PM
Helps if you declare what you are attacking. Specify coordinates in the case of P and K, since there are multiple.

And Afroakuma, you is your turn over in ToM8? You are gonna have to roll higher than 4s to hit most of my characters :P

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 07:29 PM
I forgot sorry:

Okay, I meant:
Arrow of Dusk at P at I-4

All of the arrows were sent at K at J-4:
I also forgotr the -2 from range in the roll so assume that the prior post hit for Tiki was 2 lower.
I assume that both the 10's (8's really) miss so I'll reroll them with Lucky:
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 07:34 PM
I'm not really familiar with Arrow of Dusk. Is it a spell? Or an attack? What kind of damage does it do? It may matter with respect to DR.

Also, Tiki kills that K in the first 3 hits, does he want to keep pumping the remaining 3 shots into it, or retarget? We'll just use the existing attack rolls.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 07:44 PM
Arrow of Dusk is a Supernatural mystery (Mysterys can be spell, spell-like or supernatural): it deals 2d4 nonlethal damage, x3 Crit.

I'd think it would bypass DR since it was supernatural attack (DR blocks weapon damage/natural weapon damage only according to monster manual).
But it is a weapon-like attack (as a ray).

Tiki would hit C: at K-4 (Tiki's mind arrows bypass DR as if magic weapons as an aside).

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 07:54 PM
Ok, the Cheimothnes appears to take a bit of damage.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C - Casts a spell-like. Fog errupts from his square, billowing out and covering an area.

John
K
P
O

EDIT: Fog Clouds are a pain to draw....

EDIT2: OK, Fog Cloud cast...John's turn!

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 08:11 PM
John: Moves 25 feet up to I-13 and then Cast Chill Touch
Might as well, can't use Ray of Enfeeblement and Summon Undead would lose this here.
This is giving him up to 6 touch attacks (damage would stack with Dread's toucch attack and Ayms) with +1d6 negative energy (+ save or lose Str).

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 08:14 PM
Init:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C - Casts a spell-like. Fog errupts from his square, billowing out and covering an area.
John

K - delay
P - delay
O - Casts a spell-like

K and P can't be seen, but roll some dice anyway.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 08:21 PM
Can I get some spellcraft checks? Or is the spell cast in the cloud (can't see that I guess)?

[roll0]

[roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 08:23 PM
Since there are no outward signs, you can't spellcraft. You know from your years of adventuring though, that both appear to be some sort of foggy cloud.
EDIT:
Init is:
Vincent

Tiki
Grantel
C
John
O
K
P

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 08:32 PM
Assuming Same initative every round (you didn't mention if reroll every round)

Vincent: moves to H-15 and cast haste and everyone (Dur: 7 rounds).

Tiki: moves to H-12 and used Shroud to cast Dancing Shadows to have total Concealment also.

Grentel: Replaces axes crystal with Fiendslayer (he had acid crystal). And moves 5 ft up to H-13

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 08:46 PM
Yea, same init every round unless you delay or ready

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C - Does nothing that you can determine.

John
K
P
O

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 08:58 PM
John: 5 ft steps to I-13 (maybe I can get one of them to attack him in melee so I can see them).
Diplomacy -10 (to use as full round action):
[roll0]: The check is to make them come out of cloud.
I'll use Common tongue since I have no idea what they speak (if they do).

afroakuma
2009-01-21, 09:05 PM
I can already tell you how that's going to go.

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 09:19 PM
This is a Pandamonium raiding party that was gated in by a powerful lord of the Wastes to spread chaos and misery.

They really aren't interested in joining you for tea.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John
O does nothing you can determine
K does nothing you can determine
P does nothing you can determine

Vincent's turn!

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 09:34 PM
Vincent: Moves to H-11 then he Sacrifices his Sleet Storm spell, to summon as a standard action a Dretch (who can act immediately) this due to his Robe of Conjuration. He summons the dretch at F-10.

Dretch (Larry): Uses Stinking Cloud on the center of the Fog Cloud at C-3.
Uses move action to move to D-9. DC 13 for stinking cloud.

Tiki: Moves to J-11 then Shoots at M-4 all his arrows: he gets 50% miss chance because he cannot see if anyone is there (I'll add in the -2 to hit this time directly).

I'll assume a 51 and higher hits on 1d100.
1) [roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]
2) [roll3] [roll4]
[roll5]
3) [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]
4) [roll9] [roll10]
[roll11]
5) [roll12] [roll13]
[roll14]
6) [roll15] [roll16]
[roll17]

Grentel: Moves to H-8 and roars since he still can see the enemy (total Concealment Dur left 3 rounds).

Keld Denar
2009-01-21, 09:39 PM
I'm off to dinner, I'll resolve in about an hour or so. My internet sometimes acts up in the evening, so at the latest, we'll get back to this at about 7 AM Alaska time, 11 EST.

Sounds good?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 09:46 PM
Sure, I can stay up till 12 pm EST (Its 9:40 right now here) since class is at 1 PM tomorrow.

See you in a hour:

Oh and reroll due to lucky: #1, 2, 6
1) [roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]
2) [roll3] [roll4]
[roll5]
3) [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 11:19 AM
Good morning! Sorry, my internet, then GitP died last night. All of Tiki's attacks missed, so do you get 3 more rerolls? Regardless of results:

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C - Does nothing you can determine, however an aura of numbing cold instantaneously comes over all 4 of you.
Everyone takes [roll0]
Grantel and John owe me fort saves, DC15 or become affected by Chill Metal. IIRC, its [roll1] if you fail.
If you want to move from the square you are in via any means other than teleportation, you have to make a DC18 strength check as you feel your blood slowing in your muscles.

If you resist or are immune to the damage, you do not need to make the Str checks.

John
O
K
P

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 11:47 AM
I can play for 40 minutes or so then class,
Then for a few hours after I get back (then Lab, but it is first day so shouldn't be long):

John is immune as Acererak, the lich laughs at cold damage and protects him. However, the rest aren't as lucky (Grentel is only immune to cold while Raging).
Larry, the Dretch, is immune as a Dretch to cold.

Did you make your Stinking Cloud saves? From Larry, the Dretch?
Tiki is fine with his attacks, concealment sucks. :smallsigh:

Fort save for Grentel (just realized I never put in his Class bonus to Fort to Myth-Weavers, I'll do that first, there now it is 13 I guess)
1d20+13

John: Moves to I-7. As he can't see yet, he will grunt, " Show yourself you cowards!"

Edit: I forgot the bracketsw aroound roll.

I question something:
As Grentel/Tiki has total concealment can the cold aura/ability hit them? Does only require line of effect (not sight)?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 11:50 AM
[roll0]

There that should work.

And spellcraft:
Vincent: [roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 12:17 PM
{table=head]-|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P
1|o|o|o|o|o|o||||f|f|f|f|||
2|o|o|o|o|o|o|||f|f|f|f|f|f||
3|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|f|f|f|f|f|f|f|f
4|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|f|f|f|f|f|f|f|f|
5|o|o|o|o|o|o|||f|f|f|f|f|f||
6||o|o|o|o|||||f|f|f|f|||
7|||o|o||||O|O||f|f||||
8||||||||O|O|||||||
9||||P||||G||J||||||
10||||P||||||||||||
11||||||||P|||T|||||
12|||||||K|||C|C|||||
13|||||||||V|C|C|||||
14||||||||||||||||
15||||||||||||||||
16||||||||||||||||
17||||||||||||||||
18||||||||||||||||
19||||||||||||||||
20||||||||||||||||
[/table]

What's the spellcraft for? You didn't see or hear anything cast. The Chill Metal spell effect is a byproduct of a passive aura, and needs to be saved against every round by anyone wearing metal armor (mostly just Grentel).

And yea, I took the Stinking Cloud into effect, don't worry.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John

O moves to HI-67 and breaths a line of fire. Vincent, Grantel, and John all need to make Reflex saves DC20. [roll0] save for 1/2.

T - a new foe comes out of the cloud at G7 and fires a black ray at Vincent
[roll1][roll2][roll3]

Ks come out where indicated on the map. They all use spell-likes and Grantel, Vincent, and John all need to make 3 will saves each. DC15, and this is a [Fear] and [Mind Affecting] effect.

Ps come out where indicated but don't do anything else.

Map updated, its your turn, so roll your saves. You also get 3 facts on the T, which is called a Tetromenos. What do you want to know?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 12:44 PM
(gotta go to class after this)
Reflex
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2], Fire Resist 10 though.

Will:
Grentel still has 2 rounds of Total Concealment though (aren't these fear effects targted?).
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]
John but immune to fear so doesn't matter I guess.

Negative Level?

I'll post turn when I get back from class I guess.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 01:21 PM
Negative levels are described in the SRD. Basically, its a -1 to almost all d20 rolls and you lose 5 hp and the highest level spell from all casting classes you have. He got hit by a Spell-like Enervation. Since its SP, it can't be IDed or counterspelled without something crazy like Battlemagic Perception or a Ring of Greater Counterspells.

And yea, about the fear, I'm at work and running off memory. Its a SP casting of the 4th level spell Fear, which I was under the impression that it was an area. Concealment doesn't prevent targeting, though, IIRC. I'll find out before you get back...hopefully.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 01:27 PM
something crazy like Battlemagic Perception

The words I hate you so much come to mind.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 02:59 PM
Wait, so my innate Counterspell ability (counterspell without readying an action) doesn't work?

Negatigve levels don't say for each spellcastering class: According to PHB: so I just lose enervation or black tentacles.
Plus, Mysteries aren't exactly spells. Still sucks.

Anyhoo, so Vincent and Grentel took 27 fire damage. John took 17.
Grentel has one fear on him: so he panics (dropping him axe I guess).

Tetromenos:
a. Type, 2 Special abilities (if only 1 go to b)
b. Type, Special abilities, Immunties.

Vincent: Cast Resist Energy on himself (fire). (since damage was last turn no Concentrate checks required).

Larry, the Dretch: 5ft steps to E 9, then uses Scare on the O's. Payback for attacking his master. DC 12.

Tiki: (don't forget you lose Dex to AC because he was total concealed, extra +2 hit/dex loss might help)
Should I just include the +2 hit or have you been factoring it in before (if it mattered)? Anyway, no more range penalties:
He attacks K at K-8, if K dies then remaining target O at I-7.

1) [roll0] [roll1]
2) [roll2] [roll3]
3) [roll4] [roll5]
4) [roll6] [roll7]
5) [roll8] [roll9]
6) [roll10] [roll11]

Grentel (now Frightened): Guess, he drops axe and double moves to A-20 because that seems far away from danger (edge of map and all).

C's turn.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 03:04 PM
Crap, didn't get posted in time. I talked it over with the designer of the monsters, and he thinks that Fear is too strong of an SLA to give to a 6 HD creature, so it has been errata'd to Cause Fear which would lower the DC to 12. That might change your turn. Lemme go look a sec.

EDIT: Ok, looking it over, Grantel would be the most likely victim, so they all target him with Cause Fear, DC12. He got 1 10, which is a fail, so he's Shaken for 6 rounds, not Paniced.

Works for you?

EDIT2: I'm not terribly familiar with ToM, but if the Immediate CS thing works at all like CSing as discribed in the PHB (minus the ready part) then you can't. SLAs require no VSM components, and thus can't be IDed with spellcraft and thus can't be CSed without some type of "sense" like Battlemagic Perception or a Ring of Spell Battle or Greater Counterspelling.

At least thats how I see it, but if you can cite something, I'll allow it.

Also, which spell are you gonna lose from the Enervation?

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 03:24 PM
Grantel's turn, he's not paniced, only shaken. Downgraded the Fear because of the OPness of fear stacking.

Tiki killed the K on his 2nd to last shot, but his last shot missed the Oimozon. Do you get a reroll on it?

Oimozon save vs Cause Fear [roll0]

after him, C will not do anything you can recognize, although you all take [roll1].

Also, Grantel needs another Fort save, DC15 and if you fail, you are afflicted by Chill Metal for [roll2]

John's turn.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 03:32 PM
Cool, Grentel still has his axe, yay! Grentel glad he shaken not stirred (James Bond joke, heh).

I'll lose Enervation: Its good for save lowering (5 hp damage is nice though), but I need Evard's Tentacles. Just need right moment to use it.

Yeah, i just reread my ToM book, can't counterspell spell-like..darn. Didn't remember Battlemage (which book is that sounds familiar).

Grentel instead Charges H-9 and Leap Attacks the P dude there. Power Attacking for 2 (if I can do 50 damage in a attack, he will have that whole save or die thing).
-2 PA, -2 Shaken=-4 +2 Charge=-2. After those penalties:
(just to make clear he has Dashing Step so no Ac penalty while charging)
Hit +13, 1d12+8,

[roll1] [roll=Grentel Damage](1d12+8) x4

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 04:07 PM
Forgot for damage I need to actually make it multiple not multiply at end.
This is assuming Leap Attack's +100% errata means x2=X4.

It should be +8 damage (4x2=8). +1d6 from Crystal.

Grentel Fort save (-2 from shaken so 11):

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

John: moves to J-9 and attacks P at J-8 with 1 touch attack:
1d6 fire, 1d8 negative energy, 1d6 negative, Fort save DC 15 (or 1 Str damage)

[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 05:26 PM
Map updated.

You know that Tetromenos carry a nasty con draining disease that they transmit through their slam attack.

You know that Tetromenos can crit hard with their claws and horns, threatening on a 17+ and inflicting 3x damage.

You know that Tetromenos are also easily wounded. All attacks on a Tetromenos have their threat range doubled and all attacks vs a Tetromenos deal +2 damage per hit.

Grandel doesn't feel like he did any meaningful damage to the Polytrotos, although there was an arc of power from the crystal that shot up the length of the axe and left a mean looking burn on it. Its not moving anymore.

John hit his, and between his negative energy and the Chill Touch, it curls up and dies. Before it does though, John can feel part of his magical essence been pulled out of his body through his hand across the spark of conduit formed by the Chill Touch. John gains a -1 penalty to your CL.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John

O 5' steps forward and full attacks John with 3 bits and 2 claws, PAing for 5 points.

[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
John has no miss chance, does he?

T - delays

K - move. One attacks John, the other attacks Vince.
[roll10][roll11]
Imp Grab Opposed Roll [roll12]

[roll13][roll14][roll15]
Imp Grab Opposed Roll [roll16]

Ps move and attack 2 on Larry, 1 on John, 1 on Vince
[roll17][roll18][roll19]
[roll20][roll21][roll22]
[roll26][roll27][roll28]
[roll=Vince]1d20+31d4+1[roll=Vince Acid]1d6

T - ends delay, 5' steps forward and full attacks Grental.
[roll29][roll30]
[roll31][roll32]
[roll33][roll34]
[roll35][roll36]
[roll37][roll38]
[roll39][roll40]
Each hit requires a fort save, DC17.
Does Grental still have his mis chance?

I'll move the monsters in a sec.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 05:42 PM
Rerolling
[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Crit confirm on John
[roll3]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 05:46 PM
Also, since the Tetromenos hit with 2 slam attacks, it gets to try to grapple Grental. Roll opposed for that.
[roll0]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 07:49 PM
Don't forget everyone within 30 feet of Grentel resists 5 Acid. So no one takes damage unless you deal 6 or more.

Grentel has Concealment this last round, so when it is his turn again he no longer has it.

Can the T guy even see Grentel? Only True seeing can see it (not see invisibility). Otherwise he just attacks area flailing randomly (but it is easy to tell someone is there I guess).
Still 50% miss.

You do know what square he is in though (there are shadows in that square that you assume the axe hit you from).

John activates as an immediate action his Displacement special armor ability (from Magic Item Compendruim), it lasts for 5 rounds after use.

So reroll any attacks. None of O's hit anyway, but P's Crit on John needs to be rolled for concealment (hopefully saving me from Crit)

If T still hit Grentel then here is my Grapple resist:
(depending on damage my Rage may activate so I'll do 2 resists, one normal; one if Rage activates)

[roll0]
[roll1]

If Vincent was hit: he activates as an imediate action, his spell-like mystery Shadow Skin: he now has DR 10/silver. Blocking damage from his attackers (acid blocked by Grentel's aura).

Shadow skin lasts till beggining of my next turn (so 1 round after my turn begins). I have 1 more use of it this day left.

Does the improved Grab require a hit or damage to activate? (if hit then Vince needs to roll against it, but not if damage).

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 07:58 PM
In case, I need to mention this: Everyone who attacks John Rivers (doesn't matter if you hit) take 1d6 fire damage. This is due to Halo of Fire.
So O takes 5d6 fire damage (if he is hurt by fire).

And Concealment is still up for Grentel until his turn (then it ends on his turn).

Before your attacks hit/miss, I wanted to give you generalk idea how patrty doing:

Vincent 1/2 life, Tiki barekly scratched, John feeling a bruise, and Grentel bleeding a bit.

The above Grapples are not taking in account Haste (so they are 1 higher than shown).

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 08:17 PM
Concealment is not total concealment. They can still see you and target you, those attacks just get miss chance. Thats why they could target you with Cause Fear, and why the Tetromenos can attack.

ok, just disregard any acid damage that isn't a 6.

DR doens't negate the hit, just the damage, so the imp grab still holds, if it hits miss chances. Subtract it when you get hit, because I'm not really tracking your hp.

I'll note the fire damage in a sec.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] This slam misses, so no Imp Grab (needed 2 claws or 2 slams)
[roll5]

All else were hits. The P that attacked John dies in a fire. Roll the rest of his Fire damage, 5d6 on the O, and 1d6 on the K. No save, I assume?

So, Vincent took 0 damage, all was negated. He still needs to beat a 19 grapple.
Grental took 15 damage from the T, needs to make 3 fort saves, and is not grappled.
John got hit once by the O (first attack) for 14
Larry probably took some damage, but I don't think he's concerned.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 08:33 PM
Nope, Displacement and Dancing Shadows cast on a single target (if dancing Shadows is cast on multiple it acts more like blur) are both Total Concealment:

I can post the page number or words: page 144 of Tome of Magic.

"You grant Subjects Concealment. If you cast this mystery on a single subject, the shadows are thicker and the subject gains Total Conceament. Blah, blah, can't use see invisibility...blah, blah only True seeing negate miss chances".

Displacement makes exceptions that can still target the subject, but Dancin Shadows grants Total Concealment Condition (status?) and is there fore not targetable.
(I don't want to get rules lawery but exceptions aren't the rule. Otherwise Displacement wouldn't mention that fact)
This was why I chose Dancing Shadows (and therefore Shroud of the Night Magic item). It is the Cheapest 1/day G. Invisibility spell that isn't a custom item.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 08:41 PM
Fine, T can't attack Grentel, so he'll attack the Dretch instead.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 08:44 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

I think I just shredded Larry, all confirmed at 3x...93 damage from 4 hits, unless Larry has DR that needs Good or a Special Metal, since the T overcomes DR/Magic.

Still need a grapple from Vince at that has to beat a 19.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 08:53 PM
Larry has DR 5/Good or Cold Iron.
But he has only 9 (he lost 4 from P's attacks) hp before you attacked: I think he has none left afterward. Yep, I counted... he is back to the home world.
Vowing revenge after he reforms in 24 hours on Mr. T (assuming summoned monster have memories).

Halo has no save: kinda like Fire Shield (but not a spell)
O: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

K: [roll5]

[roll6]

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 09:16 PM
Vince is grabbed and pulled into K's square. The creature cries on him, and its tears cackle manically as they crawl up his skin, entering his nose and mouth, causing his throat to constrict.

Vince is [roll0] rounds.

More tears flood from the creatures eyes as it wails pitifully and starts squeezing the life out of Vince.

Oh, and the P there will claim an AoO as Vince is pulled by.
[roll1][roll2][roll3].

I believe that brings us to the top of the round!

Init is:
Vincent

Tiki
Grantel
C
John
O
K
P
T

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 09:42 PM
I have to go in a couple minutes so I'll just do Vincent.

Tiki Grentel tomorrow or after I get back if not too late from CNU Tonight (my comedy group).

Vincent can't cast spells, but can use Mysteries that are supernatural or spell-like (which have no Somatic/verbal):
He needs to do a Concentration check though. He doesn't provoke due to Shadow-cast (as long as one square adjacent him isn't occupied/provokeable).

DR blocks damage from P (1 acid gets through).
[roll0] Required 22.
Vincent is using Black Fire on squares x8. He chooses H-11, D-10, D-9, G-8, H-7,8 + I-7, 8, and K-7.
They must make saves on their turn (as long as stay there, passing through there, or entering there). Reflex negate. DC 17.
Damage 4d6 cold each.
Roll saves then I'll roll damage.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 11:21 PM
Vincent readies a move action: once he teleports out, he will move to L-13.

Tiki's turn:
Vincent uses immediate action to teleport (using Abrupt Jaunt, escaping the grapple) he teleports to I-13.Ready action activates allowing him to up to move L-13.
Vincent has 5 Abrupt uses left.

Tiki attacks: T at G-8, if he dies, rest go to K at J-7. (the damage assumes damaging Mr. T, 1d8+7 if at Mr. K)
1) [roll0] [roll1]
2) [roll2] [roll3]
3) [roll4] [roll5]
4) [roll6] [roll7]
5) [roll8] [roll9]
6) [roll10] [roll11]
7) [roll12] [roll13]

I'll tell rerolls tomorrow if I need to.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 11:25 PM
I might as well reroll now + Crit Confirm:

1) reroll attack: [roll0] [roll1]

5) Reroll attack: [roll2] [roll3]

7) Reroll attack: [roll4] [roll5]

6) Reroll damage (I put 1d80 last post, my bad) [roll6]

Crit Confirm: [roll7]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 11:36 PM
#3's damage is now 36 (x3 with 12 damage).

#6's attack other Crit Confirm (if attacking Mr. T due to his weakness):
[roll0]
(Damage was roll 11 last post) So Damage will be 33.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 01:15 AM
Bah, stupid forums being down for almost a whole day.

You gotta redo Vincent's turn. Readying an action requires a standard action, even if that action requires less than a standard action. He cast the fire, so he can't ready a move action.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 09:38 AM
Really? I always thought Readying was the action you used, but then again I've never readied before).
Darn, oh, well, Tiki's turn is still valid (he would shoot regardless).

Vincent I guess will just do the Mystery casting: Black Fire.

He can't use swift action (as he used his immediate not on his turn). So he waits till Tiki's turn (not on his turn): to use Immediate action (using up next turn's swift action).

So I guess Vincent is at I-13 (through Abrupt Jaunt which doesn't use verbal components/concentration check as it isn't a spell but an ability).

Tiki still shot at the enemy.

So far okay?

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 12:05 PM
Ok, so Vincent jaunts to where he is. C's turn.

[roll0]

Need a DC15 fort save from Grentel.

The Cheimothnes becomes visible, where it had been all along, waiting.

It 5' steps to its current position and full attack Tiki, switching to Vincent if Tiki drops. First attack is against flatfooted AC.

[roll1][roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5][roll6]
[roll7][roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11][roll12]
[roll13][roll14][roll15]
[roll16][roll17][roll18]

And the Sting is type Piercing, so it ruins the Earthsilk Jersey in the first attack. The Claw attacks are type Slashing, but aren't protected against from the Jersey because it was ruined by the stings first.

John is up next.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 01:30 PM
Depending on whether that unique C is before Tiki I'll have to redo this turn, but:

Is T dead?
Is K?

Grentel save: [roll0]

Tiki would activate Shadow Skin to gain DR 10/magic (he never uses Immediate/Swift actions so no loss) if attacked.

Flat Footed: 23 AC but Tiki is still has 2 rounds of Dancing Shadows. He used it on Turn 2 when he saw the Fog (which was used on turn 1 when C had his first turn).
So do C's have True seeing (only true seeing actually defeats Miss Chance/sees him, not see invisibility).

Although, seeing as mind arrows are shooting out from his square you can figure out that he is there I guess (still miss chance but know which square he is in).

I need to know what actually happened then. Your turn to post miss chance/retargeting.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 01:57 PM
Grentel should take his turn. I thought you were done since you hadn't posted in a while. My bad.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 02:18 PM
I stopped a little due to Website down and also I was so tired the night before after Tiki.

Anyhoo, Grentel I guess full attacks O (though healing Vincent would be useful...nah I can manage 1 round dealing with O first).
If he kills O before all of his attacks are used up, 5 foot step to H-10 and finish attacks on P.

Power Attack for 1:
Hit +15 1d12+8+1d6
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5]
[roll]Grentel attack]1d20+10 [roll6]
[roll7]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 02:21 PM
Crit Confirm/I messed up coding for last attack:

#2 [roll0], if success x 3 damage.
#3 [roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 02:34 PM
7|||o|o|||||||f|f||||
8||||||||O|O|||||||
9||||||||GO|O|||||||
10||||||||||||||||
11||||||J||||||||||
12||||||||||C|C|||||
13|||||||||V|C|C|||||
14||||||||||T||||||
15||||||||||||||||
16||||||||||||||||
17||||||||||||||||
18||||||||||||||||
19||||||||||||||||
20||||||||||||||||
[/table]

Ok, you did crit. Your 3rd attack missed. Its still standing though.

Cheimothenes' turn. 5' steps same as before, and this time attacks Vincent. His attacks bypass DR/Magic but not DR/Silver. If Vincent drops, he'll attack into Tiki's square, 50% miss chance.
Don't forget about your 6 Cold damage.

first attack is vs Flat Footed due to invis.
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7][roll8]
[roll9][roll10][roll11]
[roll12][roll13][roll14]
[roll15][roll16][roll17]

How many HP did Vincent have left? Where would this drop him, I'm assuming it will. He can't Abrupt Jaunt away, since his Immediate Action has already spent.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 04:26 PM
Vincent may/may not be dead (I need to calculate -10 to damage from DR/silver this last turn). I'd hate to lose him :smallsigh:
All hits. Took them all to take him down.

Vincent is knocked to 2 hp. (8 if I didn't calculate that 6 cold)
Vincent had 46 hp before you attacked if I calculated right (I should have used Dancing Shadows on self earlier, probably same time as Tiki did...oh well). I'm lucky my all day buff Heart of Earth gave 14 temp hps.

So, Vincent barely lived (he curses the beast if he wasn't silenced).
However, I guess he still has other monster that might kill him on their turn and gulps.

Whose turn next? Don't forget the save of black fire (other than C and K who don't have it on their squares).

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 04:41 PM
I think it was John's?

John moves to F11 and 1x touches K for damage:
P at H-11 gets an attack of opportunity since I move by his square.
Assuming he doesn't have some way of dropping me: I attack K at H-12.
I combine Paralyzing Lich touch with my attack (since I can only make 1 touch anyway)
[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2][roll3]
DC 15 Fort save or take 1 Str damage.
In addition, DC 18 Fort save or paralyzed for 4 rounds (similar to Hold Person you can make a new save as a full round action on each turn). Once I use my touch I can't use it again for 4 rounds.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 04:45 PM
Save vs fire

O: [roll0] saves - no damage
P:
[roll1] fails - dead
[roll2] fails - dead
[roll3] fails - dead

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 04:54 PM
Since K has reach, approaching will cause an AoO
[roll0] [roll1]
John's Fire to K
[roll2]

K's save vs Chill Touch [roll3]
K's save vs Paralysis [roll4]

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 05:07 PM
Also, since John moved out of the Oizomon's threatened space and attacked (thus not a withdraw) the Oisomon also gets an AoO on John.
[roll0][roll1]

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John

O - Wails, instilling fear into all who hear it.
Grental, Tiki, and Vincent must all make Will saves, DC20. Since Grental is already Shaken, he will step up to Frightened even if he makes the save. Remember, it takes a DC18 Str check for anyone but John (immune to cold) to move. If you fail and are feared, you are effectively "cornered" and cower if paniced.

K - Full attacks John
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 05:13 PM
And because I forgot the fire from John's AoO by the Oizomon.
[roll0]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 05:32 PM
John still has Haste benefit so AC will be 1 higher (25+1=26 so only Big O hit him)

DC 20 Will saves: Grentel still has a few turns left..darn and now it is worse.
Wait, does O have fire subtype? I just remembered I get -2 saves from that effect then.

[roll0]
If O doesn't have fire subtype then it should be +3 (I've already including the -2 from Shaken in save).

Assuming, he counts as cornered/makes save so Frightened: he fights instead of running.

If he fails: drops axe, and uses total defense (since you said cornered).

I need a nat 20. Heart of the Dice, guide me!

[roll1] [roll2]

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 05:38 PM
It replicates the Fear spell.

Thus, Grentel is Paniced, and needs to attempt to flee. Make a DC18 str check. Success mean he can flee, failure means he has to cower. Cowering is a full round action that provokes AoOs. He is under this effect for 12 rounds, unless it ends prematurely by a fear negating effect. He must make the Str check DC18 every round he tries to flee. Failure means he cowers that round.

The Oizomon does NOT have the [Fire] Subtype. It just breaths fire every once in a while.

Anyone who makes the save and doesn't have Mettle or fear immunity is Shaken for 1 round. I should have used this earlier in conjunction with Cause Fear from the Kataklaions. Oh well.

EDIT: I gotta run out to the oil field, so Vince, Tiki, and Grentel (WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!) all can take their turns. I'll resolve when I get back.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 05:48 PM
It replicates the Fear spell.

Thus, Grentel is Paniced, and needs to attempt to flee. Make a DC18 str check. Success mean he can flee, failure means he has to cower. Cowering is a full round action that provokes AoOs.

The Oizomon does NOT have the [Fire] Subtype. It just breaths fire every once in a while.

Anyone who makes the save and doesn't have Mettle or fear immunity is Shaken for 1 round. I should have used this earlier in conjunction with Cause Fear from the Kataklaions. Oh well.

That is Strange, because page 311 of the PHB says that the subject can go total defense is cornered. Same for 301 from DMG.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 05:52 PM
Assuming Fear is exception to panic rules: and he must cower,
[roll0]

If he makes double move it #1 A-10 to #2 A-17.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 06:02 PM
I see, thanks for the page ref. I must be remembering an old D&D joke. My bad.

Anyway, failure means he drops his weapon, indignantly wets himself, and attempts to hide underneath is big orcy hands.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 06:16 PM
^Decided to roll Grentel's Str first (not like he has a choice).

Vincent: No longer silenced.
He says: You have to use your pent-up energy to fight through the harshness of reality.
Uses Dancing Shadows on himself (since he has one square adjacent not in reach of enemy, no attack of opportunity for casting thanks to Shadow Cast).
Now with move action, move to E-15.

Tiki: 5 foot step to L-10. Then full attack Big O (this one's for Vincent):
"The Clutch will not be harmed any further!"
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]

If he kills O before using up last arrow, attack K at H-12.

And I rolled Grentel first.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 06:20 PM
Reroll #2 and #5 With Lucky ability.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 07:07 PM
Oh, I forgot, I still had Total Concealment this turn: so increase his attack roll by +2 (and deny dex)
(it would be alot of work to reroll them all).

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 07:31 PM
Tiki is shaken from the partial effects of Fear this round, so his -2 penalty to hit counters his +2 bonus for being concealed.

Vincent must roll a DC18 Str check to move as he desires. Otherwise he's rooted in his square.

How much do you get to reroll? That's pretty crazy...
Also, only the 2 24s hit the Oimozon. All the rest missed.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 08:00 PM
I already factored in the Shaken: Should I remove it, it becomes +12
See, I have +9 +1 haste+2 Total Concealment-2 Shaken=+10.

So even with denying dex bonus, he misses?

As you see I put 1d20+8. Because I forgot Total (but not Shaken).

Technically, I have one Lucky attempt reroll per arrow: as the Mind Arrows are the ones enhanced not Tiki (he acts like a bow as he shoot arrows but he isn't).

I usually only reroll 1-3 per attack, but in theoretically I can reroll an infinite amount. I find that too much work/time and plus Afro said reasonable optimized "not insanely broken" so I only reroll a few at a time.

I have to hold back my OP-Fu and all. So I just reroll attacks that are too low in general (like below 16 is unlikely to hit in most cases).

Right, Str check for Vincent (here we go):
[roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 08:11 PM
Ok, Vincent is struck in place. Also, the reroll that resulted in a 19 is a sucessful hit once I stop counting the shaken penalty twice. The Oimozones is still up though.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C - Does nothing notable this round, though anyone not immune to mind affecting spells hears an insideous laughter that chills your souls.
And....aura of Lethal [roll0] to anyone not immune to cold.

John
O
K

Johns turn.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 08:24 PM
Vincent is now prone and unconscious (-2 hp) thanks to your Cold aura.
I'm going to need to heal him...sadly, Grentel and Vincent have the healing belts.

How long is Grentel Panicked? (previoius shaken gone yet?)

John: Moves to J-11 (accepting an attack of opportunity from K if he attacks) and Attacks-
C
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
DC 15 or lose 1 Str.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 08:38 PM
This is contingent on not getting grappled by the K:
Johns fire finds the vulnerability, inflicting 9 points.
Cheimothnes are immune to Chill Touch though.
The negative energy affects it normally.

Grentel is Paniced for 11 more rounds. The Wail simulates the Fear spell. On a failed save, you are Paniced for 1 round/level. On a sucessful save, you are Shaken for 1 round. Thus, Tiki and Vincent will no longer be Shaken shortly, but Grentel is freakin out.

Here's the AoO.
Grapple attempt vs Touch AC
[roll0]
Opposed Grapple check [roll1]
and Johns flame vs the Kataklaon
[roll2]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 08:52 PM
Geez, you grabbed me by 1 (I have Touch 18 in haste).

Counter grapple:
[roll0]

If I fail, I haven't used my Standard action I guess: I'll touch attack K instead
[roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4]

Fort DC 15 or lose 1 Str.

Darn, I need to kill O before his Cold kills Vincent.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 09:09 PM
Your touch misses.

The Kataklaion cries on you, the tears malevolently enter through your nose and mouth, gagging you and silencing you for [roll0] round(s).

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John

O - initiates a grapple with Grantel.
[roll1]
[roll2] Remember your penalties for being Paniced.

K constricts John
[roll3]
If this succeeds, John will take [roll4] + [roll5]
Regardless of the outcome, more tears continue to flow from the creatures snake-like arms. These tears slide up your arms, entering into your ears and filling them with a maddening cackle. You are struck Deaf until cured.

Johns fire deals [roll6] for maintaining the grapple.

Oppose with your grapples, and then its the start of the next round.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 09:12 PM
Oh, those horrific tears. :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 09:19 PM
Your lucky that Dancing Shadows ended or you'd have that miss chance. :smallsigh:

Grentel can probably only win if I roll a 20:
(Is a 20 an auto on a grapple since it is like a attack roll?).
[roll0]
(I'm glad Shaken/panic have same penalty to hit/saves; makes it easier)

[roll1]

So now John sees evil, but he doesn't speak or hear evil? :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 09:25 PM
So now John sees evil, but he doesn't speak or hear evil? :smalltongue:

Correct...for now.

The Oimozones inflicts [roll0]+[roll1] and takes 1 point of Con damage.

John resisted the damage, but is still grappled and affected by the tears.

Top of the round, Vincent needs to roll his 10% stabilization.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 09:42 PM
Curse you and your tears.
John is happy as you failed grapple.

Grentel is freaked out. But still unable to rage (since I chose Berserker Strength variant). You need to damage him more so I can hulk out :smallwink:
He has 1/2 life now (after that con damage), but still above Raging Threshold.

Vincent rolls Stabilize check (now I wish i cross skilled into Autohypnosis):
[roll0]

1-10= stable.

Tiki's turn: you have Tiki on map wrong, he should be L-10 (5 foot step) I said before.
Tiki does Str check to tumble over to Vincent at J-14 (as he has Haste +30 speed and normal 50/40 speed, 1/2 speed =35) and heal him.
[roll1]
Assuming I win: Go to B.

If I fail, full attack Plan A on Mr. C.

Man, ability checks suck as you only use stat bonus not BAB.

A.
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]

B.
[roll16]
Use standard action to heal check Vincent
[roll17] DC 15 =stable.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 09:58 PM
Grentel's turn:
How do I get out of this?
I mean, Big O has +20 grapple (and I'm Shaken...things look bad for my team).
Heck, John's fire aura might be only thing that will save my team (eventually it will kill his attacker).

I get 2 grapple attempts to escape at least:

[roll0]
[roll1]

If #1 wins, I get to move to H-10 according to page 156 of PHB. Then use Displacement armor ability as swift action (it allows me to escape and Panics allows it then).
Then move to H-14.
[roll2]

If #1 fails, I use #2 to do escape grapple only to H-10. Then 5 ft step to H-11.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 10:28 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Did you take the Con damage from O last round? He will continuously gnaw on you until you break free, and his gnawing does 1 point of con damage per round. That affects your max and current hp.

Does making a Heal check provoke AoOs?
Is Tiki's Shadows still up? Need to know the before I continue.

Map updated!

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 10:56 PM
C - [roll0]

Full Atack on Tiki, Stings are first and type P, Claws are type S,
[roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11][roll12]
[roll13][roll14][roll15]
[roll16][roll17][roll18]

Also, anyone who has failed a Str check to move, which is Vincent and Gretel, the DC increases by 1 after each fail, so they need to make DC19 to move. John is immune, and Tiki hasn't failed...yet.

Johns turn. I'm headed back to my room, and my internet is crappy there, so post Johns turn and we'll resolve it first thing tomorrow morning.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-24, 11:15 PM
John: (think I have 1 more successful Chill touch)
John isn't likely to break a Grapple so he will fight his way out (-4 hit penalty applied)
1) [roll0] [roll1]
2) [roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
3) [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]

Note: If the Chill touch fails in 2nd attack, then it can be used in 3rd.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 10:46 AM
7|||o|o|||||||f|f||||
8||||||||O|O|||||||
9||||||||GO|O|||||||
10||||||||||||||||
11|||||||||||J|||||
12||||||||||C|C|||||
13|||||||||V|C|C|||||
14||||||||||||||||
15||||||||||T||||||
16||||||||||||||||
17||||||||||||||||
18||||||||||||||||
19||||||||||||||||
20||||||||||||||||
[/table]

First hit hits, the other 2 miss. The Kataklaion is still alive.

Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John
O - Attempts to pin with one bite, then attacks with its remaining bites + claws.
[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
[roll5][roll6]
[roll7][roll8]

Regardless of grapple, the Gnawing Maws deal another [roll9] damage + 1 con damage, which should total 2 con damage.

K attempts to pin John and constrict him.
[roll10]
[roll11]

Regardless of the outcome of this, malevolent tears continue to flow over your body, infusing you with their insideous madness. They begin to flow into your own eyes, stinging them and burning them. The pain is so intense, you close your eyes against it, and when you reopen them, the world is black around you. You have been struck Blind.

Make your opposed grapples, then back to the top of the round.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 12:00 PM
Assuming O and K survive their Reflex Negates (unless K got out of his original square, I know O is near his and still attacked every round)

Grentel (it would be +15 but still afraid):
[roll0]

For those attacks: Remember you get -4 penalty to attack while grappling with light weapon (like your natural attacks).

Did you forget or did you have that high of attack before (Bite +16 normally?).

John's grapple:
[roll1]
I need to roll 11 or higher, that is like a 45-50% chance?

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:08 PM
Vincent's fire requires a save every round? Only O was in it.
If required:
[roll0]
Grentel is also considered to be in all squares as O, so would have to make a save vs that fire as well.

Grentel is pinned, and yes, I did take the -4. O normally has a +16 AB with primary, +14 with 2ndary due to Multiattack feat.

K takes fire damage from John's Fire.
[roll1]

John is not pinned, but is still stuck Blind.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 12:16 PM
For last round: [roll0] DC 17

Ohh, if the fire hurt Grentel last round: he would have had +4 Strength for his grapple checks this round (still fail but eh); I get +2 more DR.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:17 PM
Fire negated once.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

EDIT:
Fire negated 4 times total since Vincent cast it.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 12:18 PM
Grentel took:
[roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:22 PM
I think Grentel still owes Vincent 2 more Reflex saves, IIRC, since the Oimozones grappled him the round after Vincent dropped.

Also, just added up the Kataklaion's HP, and it dies from John's stupid reflexive fire aura thing after it tries to grapple him. The tears still affect him though, since that happens before the grapple.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 12:42 PM
Vincent rolls his Stabilize checks
[roll0]
Need 1-10.

Grentel is immune to fire/Cold while Raging. So he only needed to roll Ref once against it.
And he is also bleeding badly (near death).

Tiki:
Str Check 18
[roll1]
If succeed 5 foot step back. Then use Psi-like ability, Psionic Displacement.

If fail, Then use Psi-like ability, Psionic Displacement, but with manifest defensively:
[roll2], DC 20 required.

Grentel:
Uses Standard action use Healing Belt on self (since pinned doesn't stop that):
[roll3]
I might survive better that way.

C's turn now.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:58 PM
C does nothing notable, except pulse his [roll0].

And I think you mucked up Vincents stabilize roll. 1d100, not 1d00.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 02:20 PM
So reroll Vincent's Stabilize roll (does it matter since he gets damaged again and still unconscious?)
[roll0]

Hopefully I stablize.

What is the area of effect for that aura? (how many spaces?)

John's turn:
He cures himself first with his Channeled touch (can't miss himself so no need for miss chance) (he choose not to apply fire since that would hurt:
[roll1]

Then he moves K-11 (since he knows where Mr. Cool is) and that would be 1/2 his speed (as he is blind). Haste wears off next round I think. Luckily Haste ends after this turn so he has enough speed to get over there.

(it was really hard to track duration because I had to find exact post I cast and the forums were laggy, but I knew was over soon).

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 02:51 PM
Init is:
Vincent
Tiki
Grantel
C
John

O - Full attacks with his natural attacks.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]

The Gnawing Maws deal another [roll10] damage + 1 con damage, which should total 3 con damage.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 02:52 PM
Crit confirm with Bite2
[roll0]

Wow, lucky!

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 02:54 PM
Man, totally messed up the Gnawing. Should be 2d10

[roll0]

Disregard the Gnawing Maws damage 2 posts up.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 04:40 PM
The DMG warns that ECL +4 is likely to have a PC or 2 dead (guess it was right).

Vincent stabilize:
[roll0]
Guess, Vincent dies this round if I fail. (I'm expecting Cold damage to kill him if he fails)

Tiki's turn: Now that Tiki's at deaths day he will reroll most of his arrows (assuming he rolls low.
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]
[roll9] [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12]

All aimed at Mr. C. Taking him out will save Vincent (not that he won't eventually die from not stabilizing, but he has to try).

Come on Tiki, do it!

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 04:41 PM
Tiki rerolls last and first attack:

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 04:56 PM
All hits, but you targeted the wrong foe! The Cheimothnes still had a ton of health left.

That brings us to Cs turn. Aura of [roll0]
5' down and full attack Tiki.
[roll1][roll2][roll3][roll=Cold1]1d6]
[roll4][roll5][roll6][roll=Cold2]1d6]
[roll7][roll8][roll9][roll=Cold3]1d6]
[roll10][roll11][roll12][roll=Cold4]1d6]
[roll13][roll14][roll15][roll=Cold5]1d6]
[roll16][roll17][roll18][roll=Cold6]1d6]

John is up after this. He's blind and deaf, so he doesn't know where the Cheimothnes is, since it moved.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 05:01 PM
rerolling cold damage for the 3 hits:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 05:13 PM
Tiki down then too: too bad evasion doesn't help.

So I'll have to roll stablizing checks next round.

Only John is left. Great!
John uses his touch to heal himself again (not like he can see or hear the enemy):
[roll0]

Then he moves into where he thinks enemy square is (if he is right then he will bump into it and that way he can tell where it is)

But since you moved he lands in an empty square at K-12. He will attack O next I guess (assuming he doesn't move).

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 05:27 PM
Looks like we can pretty much call it from here. The Oimozon probably won't attack John, since it only has a few more hp left, but it still has its breath weapon. The Cheimothnes still has its Gate left, and could get 1-2 Kataklaions with a 50% chance. It would probably shred him in another couple rounds as well, provided his fire shield doesn't get him.

You did well though. I learned a lot about the monsters, and passed a long a TON of criticism along to Afroakuma, the creater of all these monsters. Hopefully, that will adjust the balance just a bit.

And it was kind of a low EL14 encounter. It started as:
1 Oimozones, CR 10
1 Cheimothnes, CR 8
4 Kataklaions, CR6 each, for EL10.
6 Polytrotos, CR2 each, for EL7ish.

So, even if you rounded everything up to CR10, that would be an EL14 encounter. Since you have the 8 and the 7 in there, its probably closer to 13.25 or so. I dunno, I'm not super good at calculating ELs.

Did you have fun?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I did.

I learned a few things:

Berserker Strength variant is underpowered. The fact that they made it 5/level (always 1 below 1/2 life assuming Con 10) is surprising.

If they had made it 6 or 7/level: it would have actually activated before he was about dead and he could have done something about it.

Well, now I know in actual play.

I learned that John and Tiki were te Star MVPs: they lasted the longest.

Vincent should have buffed more with spells the party.

If Afros cool with a second new party (might mix/match the party) I'd play.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 05:49 PM
Yea, Berzerker Rage is pretty bad, especailly considering a high Con.

Go ahead and throw together a new party. We could even do a 3/day type of thing, if you want. 3 APL+1-2 EL encounters in a row, to simulate a standard adventuring day, or do one big APL+4 EL encounter again. You already know most of the mid-low level guys, so maybe bump your APL up to 13-14 and I'll set a new encounter? How does that sound?

And I'm sure Afroakuma wouldn't have any problem with more playtesting. I've already given him about 10-20 points of insight, from the fact that most of the Lamenti are supposed to rival demons of relative power, yet most of them lack DR and elemental resistances. Also tweaked some of the feats and SLAs to make different ones more/less powerful, and clarified some vague issues, like how often an Oimozones can use its Wail ability, which I think is the thing that really turned the tide in that battle. I seriously though you were gonna pull through until that Wail knocked Grentel out of the fight. If you could have kept the heat off Tiki for 1 more round, he probably would have won the day for you.

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 06:01 PM
Go ahead and throw together a new party. We could even do a 3/day type of thing, if you want. 3 APL+1-2 EL encounters in a row, to simulate a standard adventuring day, or do one big APL+4 EL encounter again. You already know most of the mid-low level guys, so maybe bump your APL up to 13-14 and I'll set a new encounter? How does that sound?

Or you could try him against some Inevitables or slaadi.

And I'm sure Afroakuma wouldn't have any problem with more playtesting.

Not at all.

I've already given him about 10-20 points of insight, from the fact that most of the Lamenti are supposed to rival demons of relative power, yet most of them lack DR and elemental resistances.

You did note that they all (as a race) have sonic resistance 20 and acid resistance 10, and are immune to many enchantments and most illusions?

I'm quite looking forward to seeing another trial.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 06:03 PM
Yeah, Wail sucked. Grentel isn't that buff in the Will area.

Only way around that would get that Con to Will save feat in PHB 2, but kinda hard as he'd need endurance as Prereq.

So ECL 13 party? Sure I could up my dudes.

You''ll probably see a few old faces (and a few new).

Against: Sure, 3 ECL +1/+2 are fine. ECL +4's are iffy ones that go both ways.

The biggest trouble was you were had time to summon/think under that fog cloud. I had no Gust of Wind to defeat it (Dispel magic might have worked too maybe).

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 07:03 PM
See, I was actually counting on the dispel or gust. Then the Polytrotos would have effectively killed your caster by nerfting his CL down to the point where you wouldn't have been able to affect anything with spells. And if you didn't, I'd have time to buff. Either way, its a win for the Lamenti. I came up with that idea after my last battle with Afroakuma's EL17 group. I killed them all in 1 round, so he rewinded to the point where they summoned and sped up the summoning speed so I couldn't interupt it. I didn't have to speed it up, since the fog + Polytrotos gave me effective enough cover to perform the summoning, which nabbed me the Tetromenos and a couple more Polytrotos.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I heard about that Caster draining (from the main thread) so I made sure not to hit them.

But doing so made battle drag on longer.

You really, really like them eh? Using so many.

What is there range for draining?

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 08:17 PM
I like them because they put a damper on the usual wizards win tactics. My fight? I hit almost all of them with an Evards Black Tenticles so I could move on the the bigger, meaner stuff to fight. That was bad. Not only did the EBD not actually hurt them, but my wizard got -16 CLs. He was level 11 with a CL of 12, dropping him to -4. That...sucked...

Range on the draining is whatever range the spell is. They form a link through your spell energy and suck out your soul.

So yea, I kinda treat them like guard dogs for higher caste Lamenti. Most patrols go out bring a few, just because they scare casts bad enough that they don't want to use magic, or, if they do use magic, the Lamenti have a much stronger presence because the caster is so diminished.

And if they get slaughtered? They are the lowest form of Lamenti, making them fodder, like Dretchs and Imps and whatnot. If they are destroyed, you can always spawn more.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 11:20 PM
Sheesh, so does the caster effect effect all caster classes or just the caster class used on it.

That would be a important distinction.

Hey, that might be an actual use for maintaining the feat called Precious Apprentice: if you caster level drops below 3, you can use that spell.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 11:32 PM
They are only strong against magic. They don't do anything against Psionics or Shadow Magic or your ToB Initiator Level. They are really quite vulnerable to a level 1 commoner with a torch, since nothing protects them from non-magical fire! Woe be the wizard or cleric who pops of an area spell against one of these puppies though.

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 11:48 PM
Granted, some of your ToB attacks will be useless anyway, since it'll be nonlethal.

Keld Denar
2009-01-26, 12:00 AM
Desert Wind would work. Also, Iron Heart has lolightning throw.

Regardless, hows the new characters going? I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can come up with some good challenges.

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 12:31 AM
Shame you didn't ask him to go lower-level. My odivias are freakish menaces.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-26, 08:58 AM
Desert Wind would work. Also, Iron Heart has lolightning throw.

Regardless, hows the new characters going? I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can come up with some good challenges.

I got one done.
3 more to get up and ready (have to rearrange stuff/buy stuff/find what to use this time)

Also had to study lines for my comedy Skit show Tuesday (real world cuts into playing and all).

Should have it done by Wendesday or Friday (I have a Lab I need to finish by Wednesday so that will take time).