PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One Trick Ponies that Jump High

WeeFreeMen
2009-01-21, 05:17 PM
Hey all. I'm looking for some help in Optimizing this character for battle, I can RP just fine, but the party needs a tank. Its a WoW campaign setting using 3.5 rules.

Ill be starting at lv 12, and I have pretty much made up my mind on the Class levels, I love Samurai lore and the fact that their sword progresses with Character level not Class level. In light of this I am a big fan of Swordsage because it deals out stupid amounts of damage, or as I like to call them "One trick Ponies"

What I'm asking for is that the good folks of Forums grace me with the knowledge that I need to make this character something to be remembered.

I'm asking for Feats, Skill suggestions, and any neat tricks you guys can come up with including a Maneuver list (Please use Desert Winds as your main focus as my Samurai is all about Fire [Including his name/Lore]

Suggestions on Armor and Magic accessories are also appreciated.

I have access to any/all books, and the DM is allowing near anything so go wild with this one guys.

Samurai- 1
Samurai- 2
Swordsage-3
Swordsage-4
Swordsage-5
Swordsage-6
Swordsage-7
Swordsage-8
Swordsage-9
Swordsage-10
Swordsage-11
Swordsage-12

Thanks a lot guys

Douglas
2009-01-21, 05:28 PM
Where is your version of the Samurai class from? I don't remember anything about a sword progressing with character level from the Complete Warrior version of it.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-21, 05:33 PM
Where is your version of the Samurai class from? I don't remember anything about a sword progressing with character level from the Complete Warrior version of it.

Oriental adventures' Samurai uses Character level (another reason why better than Mr. Complete Warrior: Why Am I dual weilding?).

Temp.
2009-01-21, 05:53 PM
I'm asking for Feats, Skill suggestions, and any neat tricks you guys can come up with including a Maneuver list (Please use Desert Winds as your main focus as my Samurai is all about Fire [Including his name/Lore]
First, if you start with a Swordsage level you make the most of their beautiful beautiful skill points. 8* skill points and maneuvers at level 1 will always trump 2 HP.
*I don't remember whether OA gave Samurai 2+Int or 4+Int skill points. I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

And you might not need Samurai levels at all. I remember Ancestral Relic from the Book of Exalted Deeds giving the same benefit as that class ability. If you were to use the levels for any of the ToB classes, you'd probably wind up ahead. Item Familiar from Unearthed Arcana gives a similar benefit but it can be ridiculously overpowered.

For feats, you'll need to be more specific before I can go further, but Adaptive Style is a must -- without it you have no way of practically restoring maneuvers in combat.

If you want Desert Wind, it's best just to dabble. The abilities are generally pretty weak but the boosts and counters might be useful as support for other schools' maneuvers.

And what style of fighting are you looking at? You're going to get different feat suggestions depending on whether you want a character who fights with a Glaive, a Falchion a pair of Axes or whatever else.

Also, I have to ask:

I like to call them "One trick Ponies"Why? I'm really curious. Swordsages have the most adaptive fighting style of any non-spellcasting class and more skill points than pretty much anybody. I don't get it unless this is just The Internet eating some sort of intended irony.

WeeFreeMen
2009-01-21, 08:29 PM
Also, I have to ask:
Why? I'm really curious. Swordsages have the most adaptive fighting style of any non-spellcasting class and more skill points than pretty much anybody. I don't get it unless this is just The Internet eating some sort of intended irony.

It was more of a inside joke as our Last DM only let us have Maneuvers/Day
So it was kinda like a 4.0 Fireball, only useful once a day and as our last campaign I used a manuver while riding a pony, It was more a joke for my subtlely.

However on another note, My intended weapon of Choice is the Spear, because I like reach and Its not nice damage/crit and its 2 handed for str+1/2

As for the 2 levels of Samurai, Its required for Lore reasons beyond my control..our DM is a little overzealous on the Lore/Fluff of the game :P
Sorry for the confusion, the Joke was for myself

Temp.
2009-01-23, 01:13 AM
Okay, then. How about this. It's rough because I intend to get to sleep at a decent time, but it might at least give you some ideas:

Human Swordsage 1/Samurai 2/Swordsage X

Feats:

1:Adaptive Style (ToB)
H:Combat Expertise
3:Power Attack
S:Combat Reflexes
6:Improved Trip
9:Improved Disarm
12:Martial Stance (ToB)

--alternative--

1:Adaptive Style (ToB)
H:Combat Focus (PHB2)
3:Power Attack
S:Combat Reflexes
6:Combat Stability (PHB2)
9:Stand Still (EPH)
12: Combat Vigor (PHB2)

Stances/Maneuvers (because I don't want to retype the whole progression):

Stances:
Step of the Wind
Child of Shadow
Pearl of Black Doubt
Shifting Defense
Fiery Assault

Boosts:
Burning Brand
Searing Blade
Moment of Alacrity

Strikes:
Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Flashing Blade
Emerald Razor
Searing Charge
Soaring Throw
Greater Insightful Strike

Counters:
Moment of Perfect Mind
Counter Charge
Mind Over Body
Feigned Opening
Leaping Flame
Mirrored Pursuit

This might be a bit rough because I pulled a lot of it from a showy guisarme swordsage I played a while ago. The plan was to build a character who got a heap of flashy attacks with a polearm and to send anyone who closed on him flying with the butt of the weapon. I tweaked some things to get more flaming weapon-type effects into it.

The second set of feats is there as an option that doesn't require 13 Int or a Trip weapon. Without Improved Trip, the Setting Sun Maneuvers become a bit less attractive; you might swap them out for the aerial Tiger Claw maneuvers. Especially if the "Jumping High" from the thread title is something you want incorporated into your character.

These were just my take on the thing, though.